The full form of TRP is Television Rating Point. It is a tool that indicates the popularity of a television program. It is used to judge which television program is viewed most. This gives an index of the choice of the people and shows the popularity of the particular program. A program with higher TRP indicates that a large number of viewers view the program. Its data is beneficial for the advertisers because they place their advertisements during the programs with higher TRPs.
- 1 What Is TRP?
- 2 How Does TRP Work?
- 3 Why Is TRP Important?
- 4 How To Calculate TRP
- 5 How is the TRP rating decided?
- 6 How is the TRP of a show calculated?
- 7 How does TRP affect a show?
- 8 How is TRP different from GRP?
- 9 Merit and Demerit of TRP
- 10 How do TV shows make money by using TRP?
- 11 Ways In Which TRP Helps
- 12 Conclusion
- 13 Other popular TRP full form
- 14 A Quick FAQ to TRP
What Is TRP?
TRP is the rating points or data of a television program. It is calculated using the data of viewership of the programs. This helps in keeping the schedule of the programming organized and coherent. The television producers keep track of these ratings, and sometimes they also analyze the ratings. This helps in knowing the popularity of a program.
How Does TRP Work?
TRP is related to the ratings of television programs. A television show which is watched by a large number of the viewer has a higher TRP. But, TRP is just one among many ratings of a television program. Ratings of programs are always different in each region of the world. Other criteria determine ratings and coverage. The purpose of a rating system is to evaluate the popularity of a program in a particular area. This helps in attracting more viewers. TRP is a voluntary survey that is carried out on various television networks. When viewers watch a program, they submit an online form, and their response shows the average number of minutes of viewing time in a certain period. The ratings of this program are called TRP.
Why Is TRP Important?
Tracking the popularity of a television program can prove to be very beneficial to the program’s producers. It can help them know who exactly is watching their program. It can also help them understand who their audience is. At the same time, this can also help them understand who their competitors are. That way, it can help them learn their next step. How Does TRP Measure the Popularity of a Television Program? There are two types of TRP, the Standardized Rating Point (SRP) and the Median Rating Point (MPR). The higher the MPR, the better the popularity of a program. The lower the MPR, the less popular the program is. For example, the program with an MPR of 10 means that the program has a broader audience than other programs.
How To Calculate TRP
Presently, INTAM (Indian Television Audience Measurement) is the only agency working in the area of TRP calculation.
It works on two methods:
- Frequency Monitoring Method: To calculate TRP in this method, A device is attached to the TV sets of a few thousand viewers’ houses to judge. This device is called People’s meter and records the time and the program that the viewer watches on a particular day. After that, an average is taken for 30 days to know viewership status. People’s meter is a very costly device which is imported from abroad.
- Picture Matching Technique: In this technique, the People’s meter continuously records a small portion of the picture watched on a particular television set. After that, data is collected from the sample homes and used to calculate the national rating. This technique is more reliable and comparatively new in India.
How is the TRP rating decided?
There was a time before 2015 when two agencies, i.e., INTAM(Indian National Television Audience Measurement) and TAM Media research, were in operation. Shortly after that, BARC (Broadcast Audience And Research Council India) was formed and retained to play this role and develop a new audience measurement system. Earlier, there was a time of Doordarshan when TV was understood only by DD National. So during that time, The DART(Doordarshan audience research team)was used to calculate these ratings. Today also DART exists and is primarily oriented towards rural TV viewing patterns. TRP is a function of 3 factors:
- Number of viewers who watched the television program
- Duration of the program (Actual time for which the show is displayed)
- How much time they spent watching the program.
- For example, if the duration of a program is 30 minutes, how much time you spent watching the TV show, whether you watched the entire show or you changed another channel after watching it for a few minutes.
How is the TRP of a show calculated?
ITEM and BARC measure the TRP of any TV show according to these three factors, as mentioned earlier. There are specific methods that Agencies follow to calculate and check TRP.
For calculating TRP, a device called People’s Meter is attached to the TV set of some of the randomly selected viewers as sample data. These sample data represent the entire household. BARC uses its advanced BAR-O-meters to calculate the TRP.
These devices are installed in the homes of randomly selected audiences(from both rural and urban areas). Through this meter, all information on TV channels or programs (such as time and duration of viewing) is recorded on that particular day. After that, a period of 30 days or seven days is taken on average to know the viewership status. Another means to measure the TRP is by the Picture method.
In this method, a portion of the picture of a program viewed on a particular television set is continuously recorded. These data are obtained from those houses that have installed People Meter with the setup box and used to calculate national ratings.
BARC uses an advanced viewer measurement technique – audio watermarking to track viewers watching activities.BARC India uses a Watermark embedders device that embeds the audio content of each program with a watermark code. The device, i.e., BAR-O-meter and Watermark embedder, helps measure TV usage, TV stations, individual viewing, when and where it is viewed, which age group has considered, etc.
Let us Know how BARC collect these data
- First, some houses are chosen for panel design. A panel acts as a sample and represents the entire universe (all houses).
- Audio watermark embedder device embeds audio watermarks in video content before its upload and broadcast.
- These watermarks are not audible but can be easily detected and decoded using dedicated devices with decoding software.
- These audio watermarks are then recorded by BAR-O meters during the broadcasting of shows.
- This data will be cleaned to remove errors and technical glitches, then merged with the channel, program, language, and broadcast schedule details. Universe estimates are made to obtain viewer data.
This BARC system of rating makes it more secure, reliable, and accurate. If any attempt is made to alter these watermarks, it will degrade the quality of content in which this watermark is embedded.
You can get more detail on the official page of BARC- Click here.
How does TRP affect a show?
Increasing or Decreasing the TRP of a show directly affects the channel’s income on which the program is being telecasted and indirectly affects the show.TRP enables advertisers to decide on which channel and during which show to display their ads.TRP also helps advertisers in knowing if their ads are viewed or not. Based on the TRP, broadcasters charge the advertisers to show their ads.
They charge money for every second of the advertisement. If the ad is of long duration, advertisers will have to pay a massive amount to the channel or broadcasters. , If the TRP of a show is good, more advertisers prefer to show ads during the airing of that show and pay more. On the other hand, if the show has low TRP, fewer advertisers display their advertisements and pay less.
Sometimes, if a show is getting less TRP day by day, then producers off air the show and replace it with a new show. In short, TRP affects the channel or the performance and all the actors, technicians, and the entire team working to produce that particular content.
How is TRP different from GRP?
TRP is the criterion for small advertisers based on which they decide which market to invest in advertising. Apart from TRP, another relative term exists in this Television industry: GRP (Gross Rating Point).GRP measures the overall or total audience reached.
GRP helps more prominent advertisers in deeper penetration into the target audience. GRP is more related to the “total audience” exposure to advertising messages, whereas TRP is related to the “target audience” exposure. For example, if you are watching a mythological show and you see an advertisement for agarbati(incense stick) during the break.
If 30 % of the total TV households saw that particular commercial ad, it would be rated as 30 GRP. And out of this whole audience, if the target audience is 50 %, that would be recorded as 50 TRP.
Latest Full Forms
|Full Form of UPS||Full Form of ISI|
|Full Form of NATO||Full Form of ATS|
|Full form of IWPA||Full Form Of OIC|
|Full form of ACF||Full of CA|
|Full form of NOIDA||Full Form of CBI|
Merit and Demerit of TRP
Merits of TRP
- TRP helps advertisers to show their ads to the target audience based on the TRP of the show
- TRPs help content providers know how much their content is consumed or whether the audience likes the program.
- Competition between different TV shows to achieve high TRP numbers makes it a healthy factor for good content creation.
- It also enables viewers to know which channel or show is most viewed.
Demerits of TRP
- Till now, TRP is measured using the aggregate method or average method. This means TRP does not include data from the millions of households instead only from randomly selected viewers. So TRP does not prove to contain complete data of viewership
- TRP doesn’t bother about quality.TRP has nothing to do with its quality of content but only focuses on the number of viewers who watch the content. In other words, TRP is quantity-oriented.
How do TV shows make money by using TRP?
TV shows make money by allowing marketers to display their advertisements during the show’s break time. That is why each TV program broadcasts its show for 80-90% of the total duration, and the remaining 20% duration is given to advertisers to play their advertisements.TV shows also generate large amounts of money by getting sponsorship from various brands. All advertisements and sponsorships are only displayed based on the show’s TRP.
Ways In Which TRP Helps
TRP determines the viewership of different television shows. It shows viewers who are more likely to see a particular program. Additionally, TRP gives clues to the program content as well. These days, people like to get a better understanding of the content of a particular program. TRP helps them to do this. This information is helpful for those people who want to contact a specific program or station. For example, if the program in which the protagonist eats doughnuts is getting high TRP, it indicates its popularity. However, if the program is on the other hand, it suggests its popularity by its low TRP. People who enjoy the cooking show on TV love to tune into that program because of its high TRP.
Modern-day television viewers are very sophisticated, and they are good at looking for good content compared to the other available mediums. They do not like watching television shows that are full of vulgarity and sexual content. They prefer watching programs that have a good range. This is why the TRP is very useful for advertisers.
Other popular TRP full form
|Talent Review Process||General|
|Target Rating Points||News & Media|
|Target Reference Point||Military|
|Tax Return Preparer||Tax|
|Taxi Recapitalisation Programme||Land Transport|
|Team Research Project||Universities|
|Technical Review Panel||Military|
|Technology Reinvestment Program||General Business|
|Technology Reinvestment Project||Technology|
|Technology Research Programme||Technology|
|Tektro Racing Products||Racing|
|Television Rating Points||General|
|Temasek Republic Polytechnic||Universities|
|Temporary Registration Permit||General|
|Temporary Residence Permit||General|
|Textile Resource Points||General Business|
|The Railroad Press||News & Media|
|The Real Picard||Science Fiction|
|The Right Path||General|
|The Ring Post||General|
|Totally Random Picture||News & Media|
|Totally Responsible Person||General Business|
|TransCanada Pipelines, LTD.||NYSE Symbols|
|Translational Research Program||Research|
|Transportation Reaching People||Transportation|
A Quick FAQ to TRP
What is the full form of TRP?
TRP full form stands for Television Rating Point.
What is a good TRP?
In today’s world, a TRP rating of 3 is considered good and satisfactory. The channel executives and the advertisers will be happy with a steady TRP rating of 3 TRPS’s. In Television, as mentioned before BARC releases the list of Numbers of impressions every Thursday. BARC showed the list of top TRP India.
How do I check my TRP?
Outside of television, TRPs are calculated using the denominator as the total target audience, and the numerator as the total impressions delivered to this audience x 100. (As in 1,000,000 impressions among the target audience / 10,000,000 people in total in the target audience x 100 = 10 TRPs).
Which Indian TV has the highest TRP 2021?
BARC TRP Ratings Of Indian TV Shows August 2021
1. Anupamaa (Star Plus)
2. Ghum Hai Kisikey Pyaar Meiin (Star Plus)
3. Imlie (Colors TV)
4. Indian Idol 12 (Sony TV)
5. Kundali Bhagya (ZEE TV)
Do foreigners watch Indian serials?
Well, some Indian serials are popular in Arab countries, South East Asian countries and the UK but generally, foreigners poke fun at Indian shows. It’s not a hidden fact that Indian tv serials are regressive, illogical and run for ages, unlike international shows.