Top Current Affairs of the day: Instantly obtain Latest Current Affairs with all essential info, Be the first to know all the Today Current affairs 9th October 2021 top news, Major Issues, Current News, Important events in National Current News as well as International level with clear explanation. For all competitive exams and Interviews, equip yourself with the Latest Current Affairs on 9th October 2021 granted here.
Top Current Affairs
World Migratory Bird Day: 9 October
- October 9 is observed as the World Migratory Bird Day annually.
- It’s a global initiative to create awareness about the necessity to conserve migratory birds and their habitation.
- ‘Sing, Fly, Soar – Like a bird!’ is the conservational theme for 2021.
- The day was conceptualized as a part of the UN’s agreement on the Conservation of African-Eurasian Migratory Waterbirds.
World Postal Day: 9 October
- World Post Day is celebrated every year on 9 October.
- The day marks the anniversary of the establishment of the Universal Postal Union (UPU) in 1874 in the Swiss Capital, Bern.
- It was declared World Post Day by the UPU Congress held in Tokyo, Japan in 1969.
- The purpose of the day is to create awareness of the role of the postal sector.
- The theme for the year 2021 is ‘Innovate to recover’.
EAM Jaishankar to pay a visit to Kyrgyz Republic, Kazakhstan, Armenia
- External Affairs Minister Dr. S. Jaishankar will pay a four-day official visit to Kyrgyz Republic, Kazakhstan and Armenia from 10 October 2021.
- He will be in Kazakhstan for two days from 11 Oct to attend the 6th Ministerial Meeting of the Conference of Interaction and Confidence Building Measures in Asia, CICA in Nur-Sultan.
- Kazakhstan is the current Chair and initiator of the CICA Forum.
Tamil Nadu government constitutes a 39-member committee
- The Tamil Nadu government has constituted a 39-member committee.
- The committee headed by Chief Minister M. K. Stalin will monitor the implementation of the Centrally-sponsored schemes in the state.
- The District Development Coordination and Monitoring Committee also known as DISHA Committee will meet at least once in every six months.
136 nations set a minimum global tax rate of 15 per cent for big firms
- A group of 136 countries has signed a landmark global treaty to enforce a corporate tax rate of at least 15% for large multinationals.
- The deal marks a shift in tax policy because it not only imposes a minimum corporate tax rate, but it also forces companies to pay taxes where they operate.
- It was announced by Organization for Economic Cooperation and Development (OECD).
Business Summit on National Mission on Edible Oils-Oil Palm held
- A Business Summit for North Eastern States on National Mission on Edible Oil- Oil Palm was held in Guwahati in October 2021.
- Narendra Singh Tomar, Union Minister for Agriculture and Farmers Welfare addressed the summit as the chief guest.
- The central government has approved the National Mission on Edible Oil- Oil Palms worth Rs.11000 crores to reduce import dependence for oil palm.
Yogesh Singh takes charge as the Vice-Chancellor of Delhi University
- Professor Yogesh Singh took charge as the Vice-Chancellor of Delhi University (DU) on 8 Oct’21.
- Singh, who is DU’s 23rd Vice-Chancellor, succeeds Yogesh Tyagi, who was suspended in October 2020 over allegations of irregularities and dereliction of duty.
- Delhi University is a collegiate public central university.
- It was founded in 1922 by an Act of the Central Legislative Assembly.
Telugu filmmaker B Gopal chosen for Satyajit Ray Award
- Telugu filmmaker Bejawada Gopal has been chosen for the fourth Satyajit Ray Award for his overall contribution to Indian cinema.
- Instituted by the Satyajit Ray Film Society Kerala, the award comprises Rs 10,000 cash prize, a memento, and a plaque.
- Dada Saheb Phalke awardee, Adoor Gopalakrishnan, actress Madhabi Mukherjee, and producer Mohan G were the earlier recipients of the honor.
NASA’s Rover Images show the existence of an ancient river delta on Mars
- The NASA Perseverance rover has sent its first images of a 3.7-billion-year-old ancient river delta.
- The discovery will help in guiding scientists in their search for evidence of ancient life.
- NASA’s Perseverance rover landed in the Jezero crater on February 18, 2021.
- The images also reveal the watery life cycle of the now dried-out lake at Jezero Crater.
New species distantly related to Tyrannosaurus rex discovered
- A new species which is distantly related to Tyrannosaurus rex has been discovered.
- It is the oldest carnivorous dinosaur found in the UK.
- This new species is the size of a chicken and is called Pendraig milnerae.
- As per the journal Royal Society Open Science, Pendraig milnerae is a new small-sized coelophysoid theropod from the Late Triassic of Wales that roamed the UK over 200 mn yrs ago.
Badal Bagri resigns as CFO of Airtel; Soumen Ray named new CFO
- Badal Bagri has resigned as Chief Financial Officer (CFO) of Bharti Airtel to pursue other opportunities.
- Soumen Ray has been appointed as the new CFO with effect from December 21, 2021.
- Ray will report to Gopal Vittal, Managing Director, and CEO (India and South Asia) of Bharti Airtel.
- He will be joining Airtel from Bajaj Auto Ltd., where he is currently the Chief Financial Officer.
Nationwide River Ranching Programme launched in Uttar Pradesh
- The Union Minister for Fisheries, Animal Husbandry and Dairying, Parshottam Rupala, launched the River Ranching Programme at Brijghat, Garh Mukteshwar, UP, on 8 Oct’21.
- It was programmed to address increased fish catch, improved livelihood of fishers and to maintain the cleanliness of the river.
- It has been introduced as special activity under Pradhan Mantri Matsya Sampada Yojana.
All India Official Language, Scientific and Technical Seminar held
- Integrated Test Range, Chandipur organised the All India Official Language, Scientific and Technical Seminar on 6-7 Oct’21.
- Every year, a DRDO laboratory is entrusted with the responsibility of hosting this seminar on Rajbhasha with an objective of promoting use of Hindi in official activities.
- The theme for 2021 was ‘Test and Evaluation of Defence Products: The Necessity and Achievements’.
NMCG signs MoU with WASH to train officials in Urban Local Bodies
- National Mission of Clean Ganga (NMCG) has signed an MoU with Water, Sanitation and Hygiene Institute (WASH Institute).
- It will conduct a series of trainings to enhance the quality of service of officials in Urban Local Bodies (ULBs).
- The project will be funded by the US Agency for International Development and supported by The Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation.
CSIR develops tech to replace costly imported electronic items
- A toxic-free and superior multilayer technology has been developed that packages together electronic components to produce multilayer circuits.
- These technologies are known as Low-Temperature Cofired Ceramic (LTCC) and High-Temperature Cofired Ceramic HTCC substrates.
- Dr K.P. Surendran from CSIR-National Institute for Interdisciplinary Science and Technology (NIIST) developed it.
Novel composite materials developed for high-temperature battery
- Indian researchers have developed a thermally stable solid electrolyte for lithium-ion batteries for energy storage.
- It promises application for a wide range of temperatures from 30-500 degrees Celsius.
- It was developed by a group of researchers led by Dr. Anshuman Dalvi of Department of Physics, BITS Pilani, Pilani Campus.
‘MyPortApp’ launched for digital monitoring of port operations
- Union Minister for Ports, Shipping, and Waterways Sarbanand Sonowal launched a port mobile application called MyPortApp in Kolkata on 8 October 2021.
- The app includes all port details digitally and monitor operations virtually.
- The app also has various information like vessel berthing, rake and indent, port holidays, etc. and can be accessed anywhere 24×7 and reach out directly to port.
Tata Sons wins Air India bid For ₹18,000 crores
- Tata Sons won the bid to acquire the national carrier Air India on 8 October 2021 for Rs 18,000 crores.
- Apart from 100 percent stake in Air India and its low-cost arm, Air India Express, the winning bid also includes a 50 percent stake in Air India SATS Airport Services Private Limited (AISATS).
- As on August 31, 2021, Air India has a total debt of ₹ 61,562 crores.
Senco Gold & Diamonds appoints Kiara Advani as brand ambassador
- Senco Gold & Diamonds has roped in Kiara Advani as its brand ambassador for its entire gold jewellery range.
- She will feature in its new campaign ‘Now is the time’ which is currently running across digital and print media.
- In Sept 2021, the company had also launched an online gold transaction platform, DG Gold.
- Earlier, it had signed Indian sprinter Dutee Chand as its brand ambassador.
Denmark PM Mette Frederiksen to be on 3-day visit to India from 9 Oct
- Prime Minister of Denmark, Mette Frederiksen will be on a three-day visit to India from 9 October 2021.
- During the visit, he will call on President Ram Nath Kovind and hold bilateral talks with Prime Minister Narendra Modi.
- During the virtual summit held in September 2020, India and Denmark had established a Green Strategic Partnership.
CoinSwitch Kuber onboards Ranveer Singh as brand ambassador
- Crypto platform CoinSwitch Kuber has announced actor Ranveer Singh as its first-ever brand ambassador.
- Ranveer Singh will feature in three ad films for CoinSwitch Kuber’s ongoing ‘Kuch Toh Badlega’ campaign.
- CoinSwitch is the 30th unicorn startup in India, with a valuation of $1.9 billion.
- It was started in 2017 by Ashish Singhal, Govind Soni, and Vimal Sagar.
K Subramanian steps down from CEA post after completion of 3 year
- Chief Economic Adviser in the Finance Ministry KV Subramanian has decided to step down from his present role after completing his three years tenure at North Block.
- Subramanian was appointed the CEA in December 2018 following Arvind Subramanian’s decision to quit the post in June 2018.
- Subramanian brought out three Economic Surveys for FY19, FY20, and FY21.
India, Denmark exchange four MoUs
- India and Denmark on 9 Oct’21 exchanged four agreements.
- The 1st MoU is for the mapping of groundwater resources and aquifers.
- The 2nd MoU was signed on the Traditional Knowledge Digital Library Access Agreement.
- The 3rd is for establishing a Centre of Excellence towards natural refrigerants for tropical climates with potential applications.
- The 4th agreement was a Joint Letter of Intent.
Maharashtra CM Uddhav Thackeray inaugurates Chipi Airport
- Maharashtra CM Uddhav Thackeray inaugurated the new greenfield Chipi Airport in Sindhudurg on 9 October 2021.
- The inauguration was preceded by the first Mumbai-Chipi Alliance Air commercial flight.
- The Chipi Airport, the first in the Konkan, has been constructed at a cost of around Rs 520 crore.
- The airport can manage up to 400 passengers or two flights per hour.
ITBP names a mountain in Ladakh as ‘Norbu Wangdu Peak’
- The personnel of Indo-Tibetan Border Police (ITBP) and the Ladakh Police have scaled two unnamed 6,000-metre height mountains in Eastern Ladakh.
- They have named one of them as ‘Norbu Wangdu peak’ – dedicating it to ITBP’s mountaineer late Nurbu Wangdus, who died during an avalanche in October 2019.
- The height of the peak is 6,250 metres.
IFSCA launches Global FinTech Hackathon Series ‘I-Sprint’21’
- International Financial Services Centres Authority (IFSCA) and GIFT City launched I-Sprint’21, the global FinTech Hackathon Series of IFSCA on 7th October 2021.
- The first Sprint of the series “Sprint01: BankTech” is focussed on FinTechs for the Banking sector.
- FinTech finalists will be allowed direct entry into IFSCA Regulatory/Innovation Sandbox.
Civil Aviation Minister Scindia flags off ‘Doon Drone Mela’ in U’khand
- Union Minister of Civil Aviation Jyotiraditya Scindia flagged off the Doon Drone Mela 2021 in Dehradun on 8 October 2021.
- The day marked the demonstration of the Drone & Aerosports Demonstrations that included a paragliding demonstration by the Border Security Force.
- A brief survey drone demonstration was done by the Aarav Unmanned Systems (AUS) under the SVAMITVA Scheme.
2,631 schools in Tamil Nadu have only one teacher: UNESCO
- Out of 59,152 schools (all management) in Tamil Nadu, 2,631 have just one teacher.
- This was revealed by UNESCO in its ‘No Teacher, No Class: State of Education Report for India-2021’.
- According to the report, 1.96 per cent pre-primary teachers are under-qualified in Tamil Nadu, while in primary and upper primary it is 0.54 per cent and 0.50 per cent respectively.
3rd India-UK Energy for Growth Partnership Ministerial Energy Dialogue
- The 3rd India – UK Energy for Growth Partnership – Ministerial Energy Dialogue was held on 8 October 2021.
- It was co-chaired by Union Minister for Power and New and Renewable Energy, RK Singh from the Indian side.
- The sides deliberated and agreed on a Forward Action Plan on power and clean transport, renewables, green finance, and clean energy research as part of the roadmap 2030.
India, Nepal to conduct joint patrols for controlling smuggling
- The border guarding forces of India and Nepal will conduct regular joint patrolling along the border to control trans-border crimes, smuggling of arms, human trafficking, etc.
- Sahastra Seema Bal (SSB) secures the Nepal and Bhutan borders.
- The fifth annual coordination meeting between the Director-General, SSB, and Inspector General, Armed Police Force, Nepal concluded on 7 October 2021.