Top Current Affairs of the day: Instantly obtain Latest Current Affairs with all essential info, Be the first to know all the Today Current affairs 8th November 2021 top news, Major Issues, Current News, Important events in National Current News as well as International level with clear explanation. For all competitive exams and Interviews, equip yourself with the Latest Current Affairs on 8th November 2021 granted here.
Top Current Affairs
World Urbanism Day: 8 November
- World Urbanism Day is observed every year on 8 November.
- It is also known as World Town Planning Day.
- It promotes the role of planning in creating livable communities.
- The day was founded in 1949 by the late Professor Carlos Maria Della Paolera of the University of Buenos Aires.
- It is organised by the International Society of City and Regional Planners (ISOCARP).
World Radiography Day: 8 November
- November 8 is observed annually as World Radiography Day or International Day of Radiology.
- It commemorates the discovery of X-radiation, or X-rays, on November 8, 1895, by German scientist Wilhelm Conrad Rontgen.
- He became the inaugural winner of the Nobel Prize in Physics for this achievement in 1901.
- The first World Radiography Day was celebrated in 2012.
47th Raising Day of NTPC: 7 November
- The 47th Raising Day of NTPC (National Thermal Power Corporation) was observed on 7 November 2021.
- Power Minister R K Singh addressed the event and presented the Swarn Shakti Awards to NTPC plants in the areas of productivity, safety, etc.
- NTPC Limited is an Indian statutory corporation founded in 1975.
- It is engaged in the generation of electricity and allied activities.
India signs up to COP26 action agenda on sustainable agriculture
- India is among 27 countries to sign up for a sustainable agriculture action agenda.
- The ‘Sustainable Agriculture Policy Action Agenda for the Transition to Sustainable Agriculture and Global Action Agenda for Innovation in Agriculture’ was among the highlight action pledges to be clinched by the participating countries at the 26th Conference of Parties (COP26) on 6 November 2021.
Max Verstappen wins the Mexico City Grand Prix on 7 November 2021
- Red Bull’s Max Verstappen won in the Mexico City Grand Prix on 7 November 2021 to surge 19 points clear of Lewis Hamilton in the Formula One championship with four races remaining.
- Seven-times world champion Hamilton was second for Mercedes.
- This was Verstappen’s ninth victory of the season, third in Mexico and 19th of his career.
Sankalp Gupta becomes India’s 71st Grandmaster
- Sankalp Gupta has become India’s 71st Grandmaster by scoring 6.5 points and finishing second in the Grandmaster Ask 3 round-robin event in Arandjelovac, Serbia.
- Gupta secured the three required Grandmaster norms in just 24 days by playing three tournaments on the trot.
- In all the three events, his rating performances were at 2599 and above.
Saurabh Chaudhary wins silver in ISSF President’s Cup
- India’s Saurabh Chaudhary and Abhishek Verma won silver and bronze respectively in the men’s 10m air pistol at the inaugural edition of the President’s Cup in Wroclaw, Poland on 6 Nov 2021.
- Germany’s Christian Reitz won the men’s 10m pistol event with a total of 34 points in the final.
- The inaugural ISSF President’s Cup is a rechristened version of the ISSF World Cup Finals.
MoS Dr Rajkumar Ranjan Singh on a two-day visit to New York
- Minister of State for External Affairs Dr. Rajkumar Ranjan Singh is on a two-day official visit to New York from 8 November 2021.
- He will attend a High-Level Open Debate of the UN Security Council on ‘Exclusion, Inequality and Conflict’ under the agenda item of Maintenance of International Peace and Security.
- The event will be chaired by the President of Mexico on 9 November 2021.
Novak Djokovic wins 37th Masters title in Paris
- World number one Novak Djokovic won a sixth Paris title and record 37th Masters crown on 7 November 2021.
- He defeated 2020 champion Daniil Medvedev 4-6, 6-3, 6-3 in the final.
- The Masters title secured Djokovic’s second record after he was confirmed as season-ending world number one for the seventh time.
Punjab approves amendment to make Punjabi compulsory subject
- In a bid to strictly implement Punjabi as the compulsory subject for all students of Classes I to X across the state, the Cabinet has approved an amendment to the Punjab Learning of Punjabi and Other Languages Act, 2008.
- It will enhance the penalties for contravening the provisions of the Act.
- Any school, which contravenes the provisions of the Act will have to pay a penalty of Rs 50,000.
Russia beat Switzerland to win the Billie Jean King Cup title
- Russia claimed their fifth Billie Jean King Cup title on 6 November 2021 after defeating Daria Kasatkina and Liudmila Samsonova of Switzerland.
- Liudmila Samsonova rallied to capture the decisive point with a 3-6, 6-3, 6-4 victory over Tokyo Olympics singles champion Belinda Bencic.
- Russia, which had won their previous titles all in the mid-2000s, were competing in Prague.
Rashid Khan becomes the fastest bowler to take 400 wickets in T20 cricket
- Afghanistan’s leg-spinner Rashid Khan picked up his 400th wicket in competitive T20 cricket during the team’s T20 World Cup match against New Zealand on 7 Nov’21.
- He achieved the feat in his 289th T20 match.
- He also holds the record for most T20 scalps in a calendar year, having picked a staggering 96 wickets in 2018.
- Only three other bowlers have crossed the 400-wicket mark in T20 cricket.
K Swaminathan was appointed as new Chief of Staff of Western Naval Command
- Vice Admiral Krishna Swaminathan has assumed charge as Chief of Staff of Western Naval Command.
- Commissioned into the Indian Navy on July 1, 1987, he is a specialist in Communication and Electronic Warfare.
- He is a recipient of the Ati Vishisht Seva Medal and Vishisht Seva Medal.
- He served as Chief Staff Officer (Training) at Headquarters Southern Naval Command, Kochi.
Manika Batra and Archana Girish Kamath win women’s doubles title
- India’s Manika Batra and Archana Girish Kamath bagged the women’s doubles title at the World Table Tennis Contender Lasko 2021 event.
- They beat Adriana and Melanie, in three games in the final on 7 November 2021.
- This is the second successive week that an Indian pair has won a title in the WTT Contender Series.
- G Sathiyan and Harmeet Desai had won the men’s doubles title earlier.
Chamba chappal, Lahaul’s knitted socks, gloves get GI tag
- Chamba chappal, Lahaul’s knitted socks and gloves have been granted Geographical Indications (GI) tag from the Union government’s Geographical Indications registrar.
- Kullu Shawl, Kangra Tea, Chamba Rumal, Kinnauri Shawl, Kangra Painting, Himachali Chulli Oil and Himachali Kalazeera are also the traditional products of Himachal Pradesh which will get protection under GI Act, 1999.
The inaugural session of the 1st Khelo India Archery Tournament held
- The inaugural session of the 1st Khelo India Archery Tournament kicked off at Sports Authority of India’s (SAI) NCOE Sonepat Centre on 7 November 2021.
- It was organized by the Sports Authority of India (SAI) and Archery Association of India (AAI).
- The Khelo India Archery Competition will now be held monthly, with competitions being held for Senior and Junior participants.
Justice Ashok Bhushan takes charge as NCLAT Chairperson
- Former Supreme Court judge Justice Ashok Bhushan took over as the Chairperson of the National Company Law Appellate Tribunal, on 8 November 2021.
- NCLAT has got a permanent head after 20 months following the retirement of its first Chairperson Justice S J Mukhopadhaya.
- NCLAT has been constituted under Section 410 of the Companies Act, 2013 for hearing appeals against the orders of NCLT.
Mumbai-Karnataka region renamed as ‘Kittur Karnataka’
- The Mumbai-Karnataka region has been renamed as ‘Kittur Karnataka’.
- The Mumbai-Karnataka region, which was formerly under the Bombay presidency, became part of Karnataka in 1956.
- The region has been named after 19th-century ruler, Kittur Rani Chennamma.
- Kittur Rani Chennamma fought the British for freedom about 40 years before Jhansi Rani Laxmibai.
Digital University Kerala Act comes into effect
- Kerala Governor Arif Mohammed Khan has given assent to the Kerala University of Digital Sciences, Innovation and Technology Bill, 2021.
- It is intended to establish and incorporate a non-affiliating research and teaching university.
- The transformation of the Indian Institute of Information Technology and Management-Kerala (IIITM-K) to the Digital University Kerala (DUK) has been accomplished.
Wang Yaping becomes first Chinese woman to walk in space
- Astronaut Wang Yaping has become the first Chinese woman to walk in space.
- She is a part of a six-month mission to the country’s space station.
- Wang, along with astronauts Zhai Zhigang, and Ye Guangfu are part of the crew.
- Tiangong, meaning “heavenly palace”, is a crucial part of China’s military-led drive to become a leading space power.
Chennai’s Chef Damu gets a lifetime achievement award in London
- Chef K. Damodaran, also known as Chef Damu, has been honoured with the Culinary Legend Lifetime Achievement Award at the Global Food, Hospitality and Tourism Achievements Award 2021.
- Currently the President of the South Indian Chef Association, Chef Damu is a member of the World Association of Cooks Society.
- The Chef has also authored 29 cookery books.
Padma awards presented by President on 8 November- I
- President Ram Nath Kovind presented the Padma Awards for 2020 in the Rashtrapati Bhawan on 8 Nov 2021.
- The Padma Awards are one of the highest civilian honours of India.
- They are given in three categories: Padma Vibhushan, Padma Bhushan, and Padma Shri.
- The President had approved the conferment of 141 Padma Awards which includes 7 Padma Vibhushan, 16 Padma Bhushan and 118 Padma Shri Awards.
Padma awards presented by President on 8 November – II
- Kangana Ranaut, Adnan Sami, Karan Johar, Ekta Kapoor, Suresh Wadkar are some of the recipients who have been honoured with Padma Shri.
- Arun Jaitley, Mary Kom, Sushma Swaraj, George Fernandes are among those who have been honoured with Padma Vibhushan.
- PV Sindhu, Venu Srinivasan, Jagdish Sheth, Tsering Landol, Anand Mahindra, are among those who have been honoured with Padma Bhushan.