Top Current Affairs of the day: Instantly obtain Latest Current Affairs with all essential info, Be the first to know all the Today Current affairs 4th October 2021 top news, Major Issues, Current News, Important events in National Current News as well as International level with clear explanation. For all competitive exams and Interviews, equip yourself with the Latest Current Affairs on 4th October 2021 granted here.
Top Current Affairs
World Animal Day: 4 October
- World Animal Day is observed every year on October 4, the feast day of Francis of Assisi, who was regarded as the patron saint of animals.
- The day was celebrated for the first time in 1925 by cynologist Heinrich Zimmermann to address the plight of animals.
- In 1931, World Animal Day became global during a world protection organisation conference in Florence, Italy.
World Habitat Day: 4 October
- World Habitat Day is observed on the first Monday of every October, annually.
- For 2021, it was observed on 4 October.
- It is aimed at promoting the basic right to adequate shelter and housing for everyone in a world which is densely populated and has been affected by the impact of urbanization.
- The theme for World Habitat Day-2021 is ‘Accelerating urban action for a carbon-free world’.
World Space Week: 4-10 October 2021
- World Space Week is observed from 4-10 October every year.
- The UN General Assembly declared in 1999 to observe it.
- 4 October 1957 marked the launch of the first human-made Earth satellite, Sputnik 1.
- 10 October 1967 marked the signing of the Treaty on Principles Governing the Activities of States in the Exploration and Use of Outer Space, including the Moon and Other Celestial Bodies.
FC Goa clinch Durand Cup football trophy
- FC Goa claimed their maiden Durand Cup football tournament title after a 1-0 win over Mohammedan Sporting in the final in Kolkata on 3 Oct 2021.
- The Durand Cup crown also marked FC Goa coach Juan Ferrando Fenoll’s first-ever trophy on Indian soil.
- FC Goa got 40 lakh rupees for winning the title, while Mohammedan Sporting received 20 lakh rupees.
Lokapriya Gopinath Bordoloi Award presented on 3 October 2021
- Vice President M. Venkaiah Naidu conferred the Assam government’s biennial Lokapriya Gopinath Bordoloi Award for National Integration and National Contribution in Guwahati on 3 Oct 2021.
- The awardees are Assam branch of Kasturba Gandhi National Memorial Trust, Assamese litterateur Dr. Nirod Kumar Barooah and Shillong Chamber Choir.
- The award carries a cash prize of Rs 5 lakh.
Karnataka CM inaugurated the new district of Vijayanagar on 2 October 2021
- Karnataka Chief Minister Basavaraj Bommai on 2nd oct inaugurated the 31st district of the state Vijayanagar.
- The state government has appointed Anirudh Shravan as the deputy commissioner and Dr K. Arun as the Superintendent of Police.
- The new district comprises 6 taluks including the World Heritage site Hampi.
- It is the home of the former capital of the famous Vijayanagara Empire.
Italian Sonny Colbrelli wins epic Paris-Roubaix classic
- Italian Sonny Colbrelli won the Paris-Roubaix Monument classic, a 257.7-km ride from Compiegne, on 4 October 2021.
- The European champion, of Team Bahrain Victorious, pipped Belgian Florian Vermeersch and Dutchman Mathieu van der Poel who were second and third respectively.
- Paris–Roubaix is a one-day professional bicycle road race which is held in France.
Maharashtra’s Wada kolam rice gets Geographical Indication tag
- The Wada kolam rice, widely grown in the Palghar district in Maharashtra, has been given a ‘Geographical Indication’ tag.
- Wada Kolam is also known as Zini or Jhini rice.
- It is a traditional variety grown in the Wada tehsil of Palghar, with the grain being off-white in color.
- A geographical indication (GI) is a sign used on products that have a specific geographical origin.
India wins silver at World Women’s Chess championship
- India clinched a silver medal at World Women’s Chess Championship.
- It was India’s first-ever medal in the world team chess championship.
- India reached the final after a win over a strong Georgian team and confirmed a medal for India.
- India lost 0-2 to Russia in the final of the World Women’s Team Chess Championship.
Umngot river of Meghalaya is India’s cleanest river
- The Umngot river in Meghalaya is the cleanest in the country, as informed by the Ministry of Jal Shakti.
- Popularly known as the Dawki river, river Umngot is 100 kilometers from Shillong in Meghalaya.
- Umngot flows in Mawlynnong village which is touted as “Asia’s Cleanest Village”.
- It acts as a natural divide between Jaintia and Khasi hills, before finally flowing into Bangladesh.
KRIBHCO, CSC tie up to market agri-input products
- Common Services Centres(CSC) e-Governance Services India on 3 October 2021 has collaborated with Krishak Bharati Cooperative (KRIBHCO).
- The collaboration aims to provide access to fertilisers and agricultural inputs to farmers via four lakh village-level entrepreneurs.
- Farmers will get cost-effective Agri inputs at the click of a mouse and smartphones, thereby promoting ‘Digital India’.
Chhattisgarh CM launches project to generate electricity from cow dung
- Chhattisgarh Chief Minister Bhupesh Baghel on 3 October 2021 launched an innovative project of electricity production by using cow dung.
- The machines installed in rural industrial parks of gauthans would be run on electricity produced from cow dung.
- In the first phase, units for power generation have been set up at Rakhi, Sikola in Durg, and Bancharoda in the Raipur district.
Alibag’s famed white onion gets Geographical Indication tag
- The white onion of Alibag in Maharashtra’s Raigad district has earned itself a ‘Geographical Indication’ tag.
- Alibag’s white onion also has medicinal qualities and is used for the treatment of heart ailments, controlling cholesterol, and creation of insulin.
- White onion belongs to the species Allium cepa.
FSSAI inks MoU with food processing ministry
- Food Safety and Standards Authority of India (FSSAI) has signed an MoU with the food processing ministry to support micro-level food entrepreneurs.
- The MoU also aims to support self-help groups and producers cooperatives.
- There would be two areas of collaboration between FSSAI and the Ministry of Food Processing Industries – food safety training and registration of micro-enterprises.
IFCCI, MIDC sign agreement to encourage investments in Maharashtra
- The Indo-French Chamber of Commerce and Industry (IFCCI) has signed an MoU with the Maharashtra Industrial Development Corporation (MIDC).
- The agreement was signed on 2 October 2021 at IFCCI’s 44th annual general meeting.
- The MoU aims to facilitate investments from France into Maharashtra.
- The IFCCI represents a network of 650 member companies in both countries.
India wins gold in 10m Air Pistol Mixed and Air Rifle Men’s team event
- In the all-Indian 10m Air Pistol Mixed Team Junior match, Manu Bhaker and Sarabjot Singh won gold medal in the Junior World Championship in October 2021.
- Indian trio of Srikanth Dhanush, Rajpreet Singh, and Paarth Makhija clinched gold in the Air Rifle Team Men Junior match.
- India’s Atmika Gupta and Rajpreet Singh won silver in 10m Air Rifle Mixed Team Junior final.
David Julius, Ardem Patapoutian win 2021 Nobel Prize in Medicine
- David Julius and Ardem Patapoutian won the 2021 Nobel Prize in Physiology or Medicine for their discoveries of receptors for temperature and touch.
- The announcement was made by a panel at the Karolinska Institute in Stockholm in October 2021.
- The prize is awarded by the Royal Swedish Academy of Sciences and is worth 10 million Swedish crowns ($1.15 million).
Rajasthan CM launches twin campaign to benefit people
- Rajasthan CM Ashok Gehlot launched ‘Prashasan — Shahron Ke Sang’ and ‘Prashasan — Gaon Ke Sang’ campaign on 2 October 2021.
- Under the campaigns, various relaxations will be given to people, including allocation of land lease.
- He also virtually laid the foundation stone of Gandhi Darshan Museum and dedicated the Mahatma Gandhi Institute of Governance and Social Sciences at Jaipur.
Toshiba India appoints Shuichi Ito as Managing Director
- Toshiba India has announced the appointment of Shuichi Ito as the company’s new Managing Director, effective 1 Oct’21.
- He succeeds Tomohiko Okada who was heading Toshiba India Pvt Ltd’s (TIPL) operations for more than five years.
- TIPL is a wholly-owned subsidiary of Toshiba Corporation, Japan.
- It provides solutions across energy, railway systems, rechargeable batteries, elevators, etc.
Indian Navy and SBI launched NAV-eCash Card
- The Indian Navy and State Bank of India (SBI) have launched SBI’s NAV-eCash Card onboard India’s largest Naval Aircraft Carrier INS Vikramaditya.
- NAV-eCash Card with its dual-chip technology will facilitate both online as well as offline transactions.
- The card will remove the difficulties faced by personnel onboard in handling physical cash during deployment of the ship at high seas.
Russia test-fires hypersonic Tsirkon missile for the first time
- Russia, on 4 Oct’21 informed that it had successfully test-launched a Tsirkon (Zircon) hypersonic cruise missile from a submarine for the first time.
- The Severodvinsk submarine had fired the missile in the Barents Sea which successfully hit its chosen target.
- Russia test fired the Tsirkon missile from a warship in July 2021.
Adani Green Energy completes SB Energy India acquisition
- Adani Green Energy Ltd (AGEL) has completed the acquisition of Japan’s SoftBank Group Corp.’s and Bharti Enterprises Ltd-owned solar power producer SB Energy India for an enterprise value of $3.5 billion.
- SB Energy India has a total renewable portfolio of 5 gigawatt (GW) spread across four states in India.
- Adani Green Energy Ltd (AGEL) is the world’s largest solar power developer.
ICRA revises energy demand growth outlook for FY22 upwards to 8.5%
- Energy demand growth outlook for 2021-22 has been revised upwards from 8 per cent to 8.5 per cent by ICRA.
- The all-India electricity demand during the period from April 2021 to September 2021 has increased by 12.7 per cent to 707 billion units (BU) on a year-on-year (YoY) basis supported by a lower base.
- The energy demand in H1 FY2022 (April to September) also, remained higher by 2.9%.
CoinDCX ropes in Amitabh Bachchan as brand ambassador
- Crypto exchange, CoinDCX, has onboarded Amitabh Bachchan as its first-ever brand ambassador.
- Bachchan will be the face of a new campaign, which will focus on popularizing crypto as an asset class.
- The exchange recently became India’s first crypto unicorn after raising $90 million in its Series C funding round, which was led by Facebook co-founder Eduardo Saverin’s B Capital Group.
Road named after freedom fighter Tiruppur Kumaran
- Tamil Nadu Chief Minister M.K. Stalin on October 4, 2021, named a road in Erode district after late freedom fighter Tiruppur Kumaran on the occasion of his birth anniversary.
- Tiruppur had died from injuries sustained from a police assault on the banks of Noyyal River in Tiruppur during a protest march against the British government on 11 January 1932.
Ethiopia’s PM Abiy Ahmed sworn in for a second term
- Ethiopian Prime Minister Abiy Ahmed has been sworn in for a second five-year term running a country in the grip of a nearly year-long war.
- The Prime Minister won the 2019 Nobel Peace Prize for restoring ties with neighboring Eritrea and for pursuing sweeping political reforms.
- The 11-month long war is weakening Ethiopia’s economy.
Amish Mehta takes over as CRISIL MD, CEO
- Amish Mehta has taken over as the Managing Director and Chief Executive Officer of CRISIL.
- Mehta’s appointment is effective from October 1, 2021.
- He took over from Ashu Suyash, who has decided to set up her own venture.
- Amish Mehta was appointed as CRISIL’s President and COO in July 2017.
- He has also held leadership positions at BP/Castrol India, EY, Indus Towers, and ExxonMobil India.
Bangladesh Naval ship reaches Visakhapatnam on 5-day visit
- Bangladesh Naval Ship (BNS) Somudra Avijan reached Visakhapatnam on 3 October 2021 on a five-day visit to the Eastern Naval Command.
- It is visiting India for the joint celebration of the birth centenary year of Bangabandhu Sheikh Mujibur Rahman and the golden jubilee of the Liberation War of Bangladesh.
- A special documentary on the Bangladesh Navy would be a major highlight of the visit.
Mansukh Mandaviya inaugurates the Iconic week
- Under Azadi ka Amrit Mahotsav, the Ministry of Chemicals and Fertilizers will celebrate its Iconic week from 4-10 October 2021.
- It was inaugurated by the Union Minister of Chemicals and Fertilizers and Health and Family Welfare Mansukh Mandaviya.
- Various activities will be organized across the country under this program.
- The theme of the week is “Story Of Pharma @75: Future Opportunities”.
SV Sunil retires from international hockey
- SV Sunil, the veteran forward and striker of the Indian men’s field hockey team, announced his retirement from international hockey in October 2021.
- The Arjuna awardee from Somwarpet in Coorg made a memorable international debut in 2007 at the Asia Cup in 2007 which India won after beating Pakistan in the final.
- He scored 72 goals in 264 appearances for the national team.