Top Current Affairs of the day: Instantly obtain Latest Current Affairs with all essential info, Be the first to know all the Today Current affairs 2nd October 2021 top news, Major Issues, Current News, Important events in National Current News as well as International level with clear explanation. For all competitive exams and Interviews, equip yourself with the Latest Current Affairs on 2nd October 2021 granted here.
Top Current Affairs
International Day of Non-Violence: 2 October
- The UN’s International Day of Nonviolence is marked every year on October 2, the birth anniversary of Mahatma Gandhi.
- The United Nations General Assembly approved a resolution on June 15, 2007 to observe 2 October as this day.
- The principle of non-violence, also known as non-violent resistance, rejects the use of physical violence in order to achieve social or political change.
2 Oct: Birth anniversary of Mahatma Gandhi and Lal Bahadur Shastri
- 2 October 2021 marked the 152nd birth anniversary of the Father of the Nation Mahatma Gandhi.
- Born as Mohandas Karamchand Gandhi on October 2, he went on to become one of the most important figures in India’s struggle for Independence.
- The day also marked 117th birth anniversary of former Prime Minister Lal Bahadur Shastri.
- He also participated in the Non-Cooperation Movement of 1921.
Military Nursing Service celebrates 96th Raising Day
- Military Nursing Service (MNS) celebrated its 96th Raising Day on 1 October 2021.
- On October 1, 1926, a permanent nursing service was raised as a part of the Indian Army.
- The service was designated as the Indian Military Nursing Service (IMNS).
- Promulgation of the Military Ordinance on September 15, 1943 permanently established the MNS as a part of the Armed Forces.
Sujata Chaturvedi takes charge as new sports secretary
- Sujata Chaturvedi on 1 October 2021 took charge as the new sports secretary from the outgoing Ravi Mittal.
- Chaturvedi is a 1989 batch IAS officer of Bihar cadre.
- Chaturvedi has previously served as an additional secretary, department of personnel, and training (DoPT).
- During the tenure of Ravi Mittal, India recorded its best-ever performances in both Tokyo Olympics and Paralympics 2020.
Saurav Bhattacharya wins first Andhra Pradesh Amateur Golf tournament
- Saurav Bhattacharya of Delhi Golf Club has emerged as the winner of the first Andhra Pradesh Amateur Golf Championship.
- Arjun Bhati and Rohan Dhole Patil were declared as the first and second runners-up respectively.
- The championship was organized from September 28 to October 1, 2021.
- The showpiece was organized under the aegis of the Indian Golf Union (IGU).
IIT Delhi develop catalytic tech for the synthesis of chiral molecules
- Researchers at the Indian Institute of Technology (IIT) Delhi have developed a catalytic technology for the sustainable and economical synthesis of chiral molecules.
- Chiral molecules are essential building blocks to produce pharmaceuticals, agrochemicals, and biologically active compounds.
- The new technology would help in decreasing the import of Active Pharmaceutical Ingredients(APIs).
India, US to set up a joint working group in defence industrial security
- India and the US have decided to set up a joint working group on industrial security to facilitate deeper collaboration on cutting-edge technologies.
- The decision was taken at the Indo-US Industrial Security Agreement (ISA) summit that concluded on 1 October 2021 in New Delhi.
- The summit aims to facilitate the exchange of information between the defense industries of both countries.
World Bank approves USD 150 mn loan for Tamil Nadu
- The World Bank on 1 October 2021 has approved a USD 150 million for Tamil Nadu.
- The ‘Chennai City Partnership: Sustainable Urban Services Program’ would help strengthen institutions, improve the financial health of service agencies, and drive significant improvements in the quality of key urban services.
- The World Bank has also given its nod to a USD 40 million project in Meghalaya.
NSIL announces first “demand-driven” satellite mission
- NewSpace India Limited (NSIL) on 1 October 2021 announced its first ”demand-driven” communication satellite mission.
- The satellite mission has been named “GSAT-24”, a four-tonne class Ku- band satellite.
- This satellite built by ISRO (Indian Space Research Organisation)
- The entire satellite capacity on-board GSAT-24 would be leased to its committed customer Tata Sky.
USAID announces partnership to advance women’s economic empowerment
- United States Agency for International Development (USAID) on 1 October 2021 launched the U.S.-India Alliance for Women’s Economic Empowerment.
- It was announced during the fourth annual leadership summit of the U.S.-India Strategic Partnership Forum (USISPF).
- The alliance aims to catalyze civil society commitments to advance women’s entrepreneurship and workforce participation in India.
New species of blind freshwater eel discovered from Mumbai well
- A new species of the blind swamp eel belonging to the genus Rakthamichthys has been discovered from a well in Mumbai.
- The new species is a `hypogean freshwater eel’.
- The species has been named as ‘Rakthamichthys Mumba’.
- It is the first completely blind subterranean freshwater fish species to be described from Maharashtra and the northern Western Ghats.
Kangana Ranaut named brand ambassador of UP govt’s ODOP scheme
- The Uttar Pradesh government on 1 October 2021 named actor Kangana Ranaut as the brand ambassador of its ambitious ‘one district-one product’ program.
- The UP government has launched the one district-one product (ODOP) program with the aim to create product-specific traditional industrial hubs across 75 districts of the state.
Innoterra, ICAR ink pact to conduct field trials of a biopesticide
- Innoterra India on 1 October 2021 signed a global partnership with the Indian Council for Agricultural Research (ICAR) to conduct a field trial of newly developed biopesticide against the fungal disease of banana.
- ICAR has developed a biopesticide called FUSICONT to address Fusarium wilt disease.
- FUSICONT has also received regulatory approval from Central Insecticide Board (CIB).
Chacha Chaudhary declared mascot for Namami Gange Programme
- Chacha Chaudhary has been declared as the mascot of the Namami Gange Programme.
- The decision was taken at the 37th Executive Committee meeting of the National Mission for Clean Ganga (NMCG), chaired by Rajiv Ranjan Mishra, Director General, NMCG.
- NMCG has tied up with Diamond Toons to develop and distribute comics, e-comics, and animated videos.
Maj Gen Smita Devrani assumes charge as ADG, Military Nursing Service
- Major General Smita Devrani assumed charge as Additional Director General of Military Nursing Service (MNS) on October 1, 2021.
- The day coincided with the occasion of 96th Military Nursing Service(MNS) Corps Day.
- Gen Devrani was also instrumental in managing casualties during her deputation to UN Mission in Congo in 2006-2007 where she served as a Chief Matron.
Air Marshal Amit Dev takes charge of IAF’s Western Air Command
- Air Marshal Amit Dev assumed the appointment of Air Officer Commanding in Chief (AOC-in-C) of Western Air Command on 1 Oct 21.
- He has commanded a MiG-21 Squadron earlier.
- Prior to assuming the current appointment, he held the appointment of AOC-in-C Eastern Air Command.
- He was appointed as the honorary Aide-de-Camp (ADC) to the President of India on 1 August 2021.
Vice Admiral Adhir Arora appointed Chief Hydrographer to India
- Vice Admiral Adhir Arora, has taken charge as the Chief Hydrographer to the Govt of India.
- He took over from Vice Admiral Vinay Badhwar who superannuated on 30 September 2021.
- Adhir, as a specialist Hydrographer, has undertaken hydrographic surveys in Indian Ocean Region (IOR).
- He also has the rare distinction of undertaking foreign co-operation surveys in Mauritius, Seychelles and Kenya.
Earth’s brightness is dropping because of climate change
- According to a study, warming ocean waters have led to a drop in Earth’s brightness.
- It is now reflects about half a watt less(lm/m2) than it did 20 yrs ago, with most of the drop occurring in the last 3 years of Earthshine data.
- The study was published in the journal Geophysical Research Letters.
- Earthshine is the light reflected from the Earth that illuminates the surface of the moon.
Tata Sons wins bid to acquire Air India
- Tata Sons has won the final bid for acquiring national carrier Air India.
- It had submitted the final bid for the airline on September 15, 2021 and emerged as the frontrunner to acquire the airline.
- The bid submitted by Tata Sons was Rs 3,000 crore more than the minimum reserve price set by the government committee.
- All formalities for the disinvestment process will be completed by Dec 2021.
Scientists unearth bones of two new species of dinosaurs
- A group of scientists have discovered two new species of predatory dinosaurs that had crocodile-like skulls.
- They were discovered in England’s Isle of Wight.
- The species are Ceratosuchops inferodios and Riparovenator milnerae.
- These species are from the Cretaceous period and the bones are believed to be at least 125 million years old.
Maharashtra, Causis E-Mobility sign pact to set up an EV production unit
- The Maharashtra government has signed an MoU with Causis E-Mobility to set up an electric vehicle (EV) production unit in Talegaon.
- The unit will be set investment of Rs 2,800 crore and will generate 1,250 jobs.
- In phase two, Causis E-Mobility will set up its own battery gigafactory in Maharashtra to manufacture and supply EV batteries.
‘Chronicles from the Land of the Happiest People’ by Wole Soyinka
- Author Wole Soyinka has come up with his new book titled “Chronicles from the Land of the Happiest People on Earth”.
- It is his first novel in 50 years.
- Wole is the first Black winner of the Nobel Prize in Literature.
- The book tells the multidimensional story of a secret society dealing in human parts for sacrificial uses, whose members encompass the highest political figures in the land.
Coal Ministry sets up committee for review of CIL, other PSUs
- The Coal Ministry has constituted a panel to review and benchmark the timelines in project execution, including tendering process by examining tenders having a value of more than Rs 300 crore of CIL, its subsidiaries and other PSUs.
- It has been set up under the Chairmanship of Joint Secretary and Financial Advisor comprising of representatives from NTPC, IOCL (Indian Oil Corporation Ltd).
Tunisia President names Najla Bouden as country’s first female PM
- Tunisia’s President Kais Saied has named geologist Najla Bouden Romdhone as the country’s first-ever female Prime Minister-designate.
- Romdhane is a geology professor at the National School of Engineers in Tunis.
- Before her appointment as the Prime Minister, she was assigned by the Ministry of Higher Education and Scientific Research to implement programmes with the World Bank.
Indian Bank picks up 13.2 per cent stake in NARCL
- Indian Bank has picked up a 13.27 percent stake in the proposed bad bank National Asset Reconstruction Company Ltd (NARCL).
- The lender has subscribed to 1,98,00,000 equity shares of NARCL for cash consideration of Rs 19.80 crore.
- Three state-owned lenders — SBI, Union Bank of India, and PNB — had picked up over 12 percent stake each in NARCL on 30 September 2021.
Sonowal, Murugan takes oath as Rajya Sabha members
- Rajya Sabha Chairman M Venkaiah Naidu on 1 October 2021 administered oath to two newly elected members Sarbananda Sonowal and L Murugan in his chamber.
- Sonowal is the Minister of Ports, Shipping and Waterways and also of Ayurveda, Yoga, and Naturopathy, Unani, Siddha, and Homoeopathy (AYUSH).
- Murugan is the Minister of State in the Ministry of Fisheries, Animal Husbandry, and Dairying.
World’s largest Khadi national flag inaugurated in Leh
- The world’s largest Khadi national flag was installed in Leh on 2 October 2021 on the occasion of Mahatma Gandhi’s 152nd birth anniversary.
- The flag was inaugurated by Ladakh Lieutenant Governor RK Mathur.
- The tricolor, which is 225-feet long and 150-feet wide, weighs around 1,000 kg.
- It has been prepared by the 57 Engineer Regiment of the Indian Army.
PM Modi launches Jal Jeevan Mission app, Rashtriya Jal Jeevan Kosh
- PM Narendra Modi on 2 October 2021 launched the Jal Jeevan Mission mobile application.
- It aims to improve awareness among stakeholders and for greater transparency and accountability of schemes under the initiative.
- He also launched Rashtriya Jal Jeevan Kosh, where any individual or institution can contribute to help provide tap water connection in every rural household, school, etc.
NITI Aayog launches State Nutrition Profiles for 19 States and UTs
- NITI Aayog has launched the State Nutrition Profiles (SNP) for 19 States and Union Territories.
- It has been launched in a joint effort with International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI), Indian Institute of Population Sciences (IIPS), UNICEF and Institute of Economic Growth (IEG).
- SNPs give insights on nutrition outcomes based on National Family Health Survey rounds 3, 4 and 5.
Statue of freedom fighter Veer Chandra Singh Garhwali unveiled
- Defense Minister Rajnath Singh on 1 Oct’21 unveiled the statue of freedom fighter and Peshawar revolt hero Veer Chandra Singh Garhwali.
- It was unveiled on his death anniversary in Pauri in Uttarakhand.
- Uttarakhand CM Pushkar Singh Dhami announced to increase the purchase of electric luxury buses from 15 lakh to 20 lakh under the Veer Chandra Singh Garhwali Paryatan Swarozgar Yojana.
Foreign Secretary Shringla begins a 4-day visit to Sri Lanka
- Foreign Secretary Harsh Vardhan Shringla on 2 October 2021 began his four-day visit to Sri Lanka.
- He will meet the top leadership, including President Gotabaya Rajapaksa and Prime Minister Mahinda Rajapaksa, and review the bilateral ties between India and Sri Lanka.
- He will also visit the central district of Kandy, eastern port district of Trincomalee and the northern city of Jaffna.
National Voluntary Blood Donation Day: 1 October
- October 1 is observed as the National Voluntary Blood Donation Day in India.
- This day aims at spreading awareness about the importance of donating blood and the benefits associated with this noble cause.
- The Indian Society of Blood Transfusion and Immunohaematology first observed this day in 1975 on October 1.
Air Marshal Sandeep Singh and BR Krishna were appointed to prominent posts
- Air Marshal Sandeep Singh took over as Vice Chief of the Air Staff (VCAS) on 1 October 2021.
- He was commissioned in the flying branch of the Indian Air Force in December 1983.
- Air Marshal B.R. Krishna took over as the Chief of the Integrated Defence Staff to the Chairman, Chiefs of Staff Committee (CISC).
- He was commissioned as a fighter pilot in 1983 and is a Qualified Flying Instructor.
Wildlife Week: 2-8 October
- Wildlife Week is annually celebrated across India between 2nd to 8th October with an aim to protect and preserve the flora and fauna of India.
- The first Wildlife Week was observed in 1957.
- Year 2021 marks the 67th Wildlife Week which is being celebrated under the theme ‘Forests and Livelihoods: Sustaining People and Planet’.
Colonel Mamady Doumbouya was sworn in as interim President of Guinea
- Colonel Mamady Doumbouya has been sworn is as Guinea’s interim President, after leading a coup which saw the overthrow of Alpha Condé.
- He has become Africa’s second-youngest leader, after Mali’s Assimi Goïta.
- Col Doumbouya is barred from contesting future elections under plans to restore civilian rule announced in Sept 2021.
- He has earlier served in missions in Afghanistan, Israel, etc.