Top Current Affairs of the day: Instantly obtain Latest Current Affairs with all essential info, Be the first to know all the Today Current affairs 24th September 2021 top news, Major Issues, Current News, Important events in National Current News as well as International level with clear explanation. For all competitive exams and Interviews, equip yourself with the Latest Current Affairs on 24th September 2021 granted here.
Top Current Affairs
Odisha to host junior men’s World Cup Hockey from 24 Nov-5 December
- Odisha will host the junior men’s World Cup Hockey from 24 November to 5 December 2021.
- Chief Minister Naveen Patnaik announced this in Bhubaneswar on 23 September 2021.
- He also unveiled the logo and trophy for the tournament.
- As many as 16 countries will take part in the event that will be held in the Kalinga Stadium in Bhubaneswar.
- Odisha had hosted the 2018 men’s hockey world cup.
Somalia hosts first public film-screening in 30 years
- Somalia hosted its first public film-screening in 30 years, in September 2021.
- Two short films by Somali director Ibrahim C.M. were shown at the National Theatre in the capital Mogadishu.
- The theatre was built by Chinese engineers as a gift from China’s leader Mao Zedong in 1967.
- It was seen as an important driver for Somalia’s cultural development in the 1970s and 80s.
Piyush Goyal inaugurates Centre of Excellence at NITIE, Mumbai
- Union Commerce, Industry and Textile Minister Piyush Goyal inaugurated the Centre of Excellence in Logistics and Supply Chain Management at NITIE (National Institute of Industrial Engineering) in Mumbai on 23 Sept 2021.
- It would help the logistics sector become more cost-effective, make the sector more competitive, create new jobs, improve export, and bring more economic activity to India.
National Comprehensive Guidelines on post-COVID management launched
- Health Minister Mansukh Mandaviya released the National Comprehensive Guidelines on post-COVID management, on 23 Sept’21.
- This will help health workers prepare for post-COVID health complications in advance and give suitable treatment to patients.
- This is the first such series of seven modules released in India, providing extensive guidelines for the medical fraternity.
ADB approves $251m for urban flood management in India
- The Asian Development Bank (ADB) has approved a $251 million loan for urban flood protection and management in the Chennai–Kosasthalaiyar river basin in India.
- The project will establish climate-resilient urban flood protection infrastructure.
- It will also construct 23,000 catch pits in roadside drains to recharge the groundwater aquifer and rehabilitate four disaster relief camps.
National Skill Development Corporation partners with WiselyWise
- National Skill Development Corporation (NSDC) and WiselyWise have announced the lifelong learning initiative in Artificial Intelligence (AI) to enable the skilling of Indian youth.
- The collaboration aims to provide access to free AI courses and paid age-appropriate affordable courses in multiple regional languages including Hindi, Marathi, thus ensuring everyone can learn AI without barriers.
Aveek Sarkar re-elected as PTI Chairman
- Aveek Sarkar was on 23 September 2021 re-elected as Chairman of Press Trust of India (PTI).
- He is also the Editor Emeritus and Vice Chairman of the Ananda Bazar Group of Publications.
- Sarkar was the founding Managing Director of Penguin India, the Indian counterpart of Penguin Books and the founding Editor of Business Standard.
Heavy Industries Ministry notifies PLI scheme for the auto sector
- The Heavy Industries Ministry on 23 September 2021 notified the Rs 25,938 crore production-linked incentive (PLI) scheme for the auto sector.
- Its prime objectives include overcoming cost disabilities, creating economies of scale, and building a robust supply chain in areas of advanced automotive technology products.
- Total Incentive per entire Group company(ies) is capped at Rs 6,485 crore.
MeitY organizes workshop on ‘Connecting all Indian’
- Ministry of Electronics and Information Technology (MeitY), on 23 Sept 2021, organized a workshop titled “Connecting all Indians”, to make India one of the largest connected countries in the world.
- The workshop invited both public and private stakeholders to discuss a roadmap to accelerate internet access in currently underserved and uncovered villages and towns of the country.
‘Joji’ wins top honour at Swedish International Film Festival 2021
- Fahadh Faasil’s Malayalam feature film ”Joji” has won the best international feature film award at the Swedish International Film Festival 2021.
- ”Joji”, which was released on Amazon Prime Video, is inspired by Shakespeare’s tragedy ”Macbeth”.
- It was directed by Dileesh Pothan from Syam Pushkaran’s script.
- The festival is set to begin on October 25, 2021, and it will go on till Oct 31.
Nawazuddin Siddiqui was nominated for International Emmy Awards 2021
- Actors Nawazuddin Siddiqui and Vir Das along with the series ”Aarya” have bagged nominations for India as part of the 2021 International Emmy Awards.
- Two other Emmy nominations from India included Amazon Prime Video’s ”Four More Shots” and Arjun Mathur for the drama ”Made in Heaven” in the best comedy and actor categories respectively.
Centre to procure 200 drones to expedite land mapping
- The Central government has decided to procure 200 drones under the Survey of Villages for Mapping with Improvised Technology in Village Area (Svamitva) project.
- The government aims to complete the survey and mapping of about 6.62 lakh villages in the country by the end of 2024.
- Svamitva is a central sector scheme of the Ministry of the Panchayati Raj.
Tripura CM Biplab Deb unveils Agar policy 2021
- Tripura Chief Minister Biplab Deb has unveiled the ‘Tripura Agar Policy 2021’ which aims to transform the economy of the state.
- The policy aims to double the agarwood plantations by the year 2025.
- The potential of Agar trade in the state is estimated to be around Rs 2,000 crores.
- The scientific name of the Agar tree, an aromatic plant, is Aquilaria malaccensis.
President to virtually confer National Service Scheme (NSS) Awards
- The National Service Scheme (NSS) Award for the year 2019-20 will be given to 42 awardees in 3 different categories on 24 Sept’21.
- The awards recognize and reward outstanding contributions towards voluntary community service made by the Universities/Colleges, (+2) Councils, Senior Secondary, NSS Units/ Programme Officers and NSS Volunteers.
- NSS is a Central Sector Scheme launched in 1969.
Government e-Marketplace bags prestigious CIPS Award
- Government e-Marketplace (GeM) was announced as the winner in the “Best Use of Digital Technology” category at the CIPS Excellence in Procurement Awards 2021 (CIPS Awards).
- The CIPS Awards are conducted under the aegis of The Chartered Institute of Procurement & Supply (CIPS), London.
- CIPS is a global not-for-profit organisation dedicated to promoting good practices in procurement.
Coal Ministry signs agreement with bidders of eight coal mines
- Ministry of Coal has executed agreements with the eight successful bidders pursuant to the auction of the second tranche of coal mines for commercial mining, on 23 Sept 2021.
- The mines for which these Coal Mine/ Block Production and Development Agreements were executed are Bhaskarpara, Burakhap Small Patch, Gondkhari, Jogeshwar, Rauta Closed Mine, Bhivkund, Jhigador, and Khargaon.
First India-Australia Joint Working Group meeting on “Coal and Mines”
- The first Joint Working Group (JWG) meeting on “Coal and Mines” between India and Australia was held on 23 Sept’21.
- It was held as a precursor to the upcoming India-Australia Energy Dialogue scheduled to be held on 13th Oct’21.
- It was co-chaired by Vinod Kumar Tiwari, Additional Secretary, Ministry of Coal, and by Mr. Paul Trotman, Head of Resources Division from the Australian side.
Bank deposits rise 11.9 per cent in FY21 on higher CASA growth
- Bank deposits grew 11.9 per cent year-on-year during 2020-21 compared to 8.8 per cent in 2019-20 on the back of high growth in current account and savings account (CASA) deposits.
- The share of CASA deposits increased to 43.7 per cent in March 2021 compared to 41.7 per cent a year ago.
- This was given in the Reserve Bank of India’s Deposits with Scheduled Commercial Banks – March 2021 data.
Defence Ministry places an order for 118 tanks
- The Defence Ministry has sealed a contract to procure 118 Main Battle Tanks (MBTs) Arjun for the Indian Army at a cost of Rs 7,523 crore, in a major move to boost its combat capabilities.
- It placed the order for the Arjuna Mk-1A tanks with the Heavy Vehicles Factory, Avadi, Chennai.
- The MBT Mk-1A is a new variant of the Arjun Tank designed to enhance firepower, mobility and survivability.
Leh to host the first edition of the Himalayan Film Festival from 24 September
- Information and Broadcasting Minister Anurag Thakur will inaugurate the first edition of the Himalayan Film Festival (THFF) on 24 September 2021.
- The festival spanning five days is being held at Leh, Ladakh from September 24 to 28.
- The festival is being organised in collaboration with the Directorate of Film Festivals under the Union Ministry of Information and Broadcasting.
India signs pact for social housing units in the Maldives
- EXIM Bank of India has concluded agreements with Fahi Dhiriulhun Corporation Limited (FDC) of Maldives.
- It will extend buyers credit of around $228 million for the construction of 4000 Social Housing Units in Hulhumale’ Phase II.
- The construction will be undertaken by the National Buildings Construction Company and JMC Projects (India) Ltd.
BPCL joins hand with SBI Card to launch a contactless RuPay credit card
- Bharat Petroleum Corporation Limited (BPCL) and SBI Card have decided to launch the ‘BPCL SBI Card co-branded RuPay Contactless Credit Card’.
- The new RuPay credit card is India’s most rewarding fuel co-brand credit card.
- The BPCL SBI Card RuPay credit card offers a value back of 4.25% on fuel across BPCL’s 19000+ outlets across India.
Centre launches additional initiatives under Ayushman Bharat
- The centre has launched additional initiatives under Ayushman Bharat – Pradhan Mantri Jan Aarogya Yojana (AB PM-JAY) scheme.
- These include such as Hospital Help Desk Kiosk, Beneficiary Facilitation Agency, PMJAY Command Centre and Nudge Unit and revamped PM-JAY technology platform.
- The initiatives will be undertaken by the National Health Authority, the implementing agency for the scheme.
NASA splits its human spaceflight unit into two
- NASA is splitting its human spaceflight department into two separate bodies.
- One would be centered on big, future-oriented missions to the Moon and Mars, while the other on the International Space Station and other operations closer to Earth.
- The move breaks up NASA’s Human Exploration and Operations Mission Directorate, currently headed by Kathy Leuders, into two separate branches.
Cryptotech industry to reach $241 million in India by 2030: Nasscom
- Cryptotech industry is expected to reach $241 million in India by 2030 and $2.3 billion by 2026 globally.
- This was stated in a report by Nasscom titled ‘Crypto Industry in India’ in association with WazirX.
- It suggests that several global banks have started buying crypto and a few across the US, Europe, and Asia are creating blockchain-based systems to enable B2B cryptocurrency payments.
WHO panel gives go-ahead for monoclonal antibody therapy
- A treatment combining two antibodies (casirivimab and imdevimab) is recommended for two specific groups of patients with covid-19 by a WHO Guideline Development Group (GDG) panel of international experts.
- Casirivimab and imdevimab neutralize the virus’s ability to infect cells.
- The study on which the recommendations were made was also published in the British Medical Journal (BMJ).
World’s highest EV charging station inaugurated in Himachal Pradesh
- The world’s highest electric vehicle charging station was inaugurated in Kaza of Lahaul and Spiti district in Himachal Pradesh on 23 Sept 2021.
- It is situated at 500 ft in Kaza.
- Two women drove electric vehicles from Manali to Kaza in order to promote a clean and green environment.
- Indian Oil has also announced plans to install electric vehicle charging stations at 100 of its locations.
India signs ₹20,000 crore deal with Airbus Defence, Tata
- India has inked a nearly ₹20,000 cr contract with Airbus Defence and Space, Spain to procure 56 C-295 medium transport aircraft to replace the Avro-748 planes of the Indian Air Force.
- The long-pending procurement was cleared by the Cabinet Committee on Security earlier in Sept 2021.
- Under the pact, 16 aircraft will be delivered in a flyaway condition by the Airbus Defence within 48 months.
PFRDA to observe National Pension System Diwas on October 1
- The Pension Fund Regulatory and Development Authority (PFRDA) has kickstarted a campaign under ‘Azadi Ka Amrit Mahotsav’.
- The Pension Regulator will be observing 1st October 2021 as the National Pension System Diwas (NPS Diwas) to promote pension and retirement planning for a carefree ‘azad’ retirement.
- PFRDA is the regulatory body under the jurisdiction of the Ministry of Finance.
Sumitomo Mitsui to acquire shares in Fullerton India Credit Company
- The Competition Commission of India (CCI) has approved the acquisition of shares in Fullerton India Credit Company Limited by Sumitomo Mitsui Financial Group, Inc.
- It has been approved under Section 31(1) of the Competition Act, 2002.
- FICC is registered as a Non-Banking Financial Company with the Reserve Bank of India.
- SMFG is the holding company of Sumitomo Mitsui Banking Corporation.
Chetan Bhagat to come up with his new book, ‘400 Days’
- Author Chetan Bhagat released the trailer of his upcoming book “400 Days” on 23 September 2021.
- The book, published by Westland, is the third story from the Keshav-Saurabh series after “The Girl in Room 105” and “One Arranged Murder”.
- It will be released on October 8, 2021.
- He has also authored several other books including What Young India Wants, Making India Awesome, etc.
Former Delhi Police Commissioner YS Dadwal passes away
- Former Commissioner of Delhi Police, Yudhvir Singh Dadwal passed away in Sept’21.
- Dadwal, an IPS officer of the 1974-batch, served as the 16th police commissioner of Delhi from July 2007 to November 2010.
- The Commonwealth Games were held in Delhi during his tenure.
- He is a recipient of President’s Police Medal.
- He was also appointed as the Governor of Arunachal Pradesh in 2016.
Phumzile Mlambo-Ngcuka bags 2021 Global Goalkeeper Award
- Former United Nations under-Secretary-General and Executive Director of UN Women, Phumzile Mlambo-Ngcuka, has been named recipient of the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation 2021 Global Goalkeeper Award.
- The award recognises a leader who has driven progress on a global scale toward achieving the sustainable development goals (SDGs).
- She has been honoured for fighting for gender equality.
Foundation laid for the development of Parshuram Kund in Arunachal
- Union Minister for Tourism G. Kishan Reddy laid the foundation stone for the development of Parshuram Kund, Lohit district, Arunachal Pradesh on 23 September 2021.
- The project has been sanctioned under the Pilgrimage Rejuvenation and Spiritual, Heritage Augmentation Drive’ (PRASHAD) scheme.
- It was approved by the Ministry of Tourism with the cost of Rs 37.88 crores in January 2021.
National level orientation workshop on People’s Plan Campaign 2021
- A national-level orientation workshop on the People’s Plan Campaign 2021 for North Eastern States (Sabki Yojana Sabka Vikas) was organized on 23 Sep’21.
- Kapil Moreshwar Patil, Minister of State for Panchayati Raj, addressed the workshop.
- North Eastern Regional Centre of the National Institute of Rural Development and Panchayati Raj organised it in collaboration with Panchayati Raj Ministry.
Ministry of Petroleum and Natural Gas organizes a meet
- The Ministry of Petroleum and Natural Gas (MoPNG), as part of the Government’s E&P industry outreach programme, organised an interactive meet with industry and business leaders.
- It was held on 24th September 2021 at Guwahati.
- The theme of the event was “E&P Investment Opportunities in North Eastern Region”.
- The theme of the event is aligned to Hydrocarbon Vision 2030 for northeast India.
TSHTI signs MoU with Nanogen Pharmaceutical Biotechnology, Vietnam
- Translational Health Science and Technology Institute (THSTI), Department of Biotechnology, has entered into a research collaboration with Nanogen Pharmaceutical Biotechnology JSC.
- Nanaogen is a Vietnamese pharmaceutical company which is developing a new vaccine for COVID-19.
- Pham Sanh Chau, the Ambassador of Vietnam to India, led a team that visited THSTI on 23 Sept’21, to sign the MoU.
Teesta-V Power Station, Sikkim conferred with ‘Blue Planet Prize’
- NHPC’s 510 MW Teesta-V Power Station, Sikkim has been conferred with the Blue Planet Prize by International Hydropower Association (IHA).
- IHA is a London based non-profit membership association operating in 120 countries.
- It has been awarded based on its sustainability assessment undertaken by a team of accredited lead assessors of IHA in 2019 using the Operation Stage tool.
Two-day ‘National Tribal Talent Pool Conclave’ organized
- Two-day virtual “National Tribal Talent Pool Conclave” was held from 23-24 Sept21 in Odisha.
- It was held in collaboration with National Tribal Research Institute, (NTRI), and Indian Institute of Public Administration, IIPA, New Delhi.
- Tribal Talent Pool initiative aims at the development of the tribal scholars and enables them to participate in various research and evaluation activities.