Top Current Affairs of the day: Instantly obtain Latest Current Affairs with all essential info, Be the first to know all the Today Current affairs 22nd October 2021 top news, Major Issues, Current News, Important events in National Current News as well as International level with clear explanation. For all competitive exams and Interviews, equip yourself with the Latest Current Affairs on 22nd October 2021 granted here.
Top Current Affairs
Ashfaqullah Khan’s birth anniversary: 22 October
- Ashfaqullah Khan’s 121st birth anniversary was observed on 22 October 2021.
- Ashfaqulla Khan was an Indian independence activist and co-founder of the Hindustan Socialist Republican Association
- A strong opposer of the British Raj in India, Khan was born on October 22, 1900, in Shahjahanpur.
- Khan was hanged to death with Ram Prasad Bismil, for their role in the Kakori train robbery of 1925.
Alexei Navalny wins European Union’s top human rights prize
- Imprisoned Russian Opposition leader Alexei Navalny was awarded the European Union’s top human rights prize.
- In awarding the Sakharov Prize to Navalny, the European Parliament praised his “immense personal bravery”.
- It promotes in particular freedom of expression, the rights of minorities, respect for international law, the development of democracy and the implementation of the rule of law.
Szabo and Scorsese begged the Satyajit Ray Lifetime Achievement Award
- Union Minister for Information and Broadcasting Anurag Thakur has announced that film directors Istvan Szabo and Martin Scorsese will be conferred the Satyajit Ray Lifetime Achievement Award at the 52nd International Film Festival of India (IFFI).
- The 52nd edition of the International Film Festival of India (IFFI) will be held from November 20 to 28 in Goa.
Climate report: Africa’s rare glaciers soon to disappear
- The new report on the shrinking glaciers of Mount Kilimanjaro, Mount Kenya and the Rwenzori Mountains in Uganda as symbols of the rapid and widespread changes to come.
- The report from the World Meteorological Organisation is a grim reminder that Africa’s 1.3 billion people remain “extremely vulnerable” as the continent warms more, and at a faster rate, than the global average.
Centre approves 3% Dearness Allowance hike for central govt employees
- Ahead of the festive season, the Union Cabinet on Thursday approved a 3% hike in Dearness Allowance (DA) and Dearness Relief (DR) for the central government employees and pensioners with effect from July 1, 2021, said Union Minister Anurag Thakur.
- After this hike, the DA will increase to 31%.
- The move will benefit 4.7 million employees and 6.8 million pensioners.
FIFA Rankings: India rise one spot to 106th, Belgium tops the list
- India has moved one spot ahead to the 106th position after the Sunil Chhetri-led side won the SAFF Championship.
- Brazil remains second but is breathing down the neck of Belgium, just 12 points behind.
- A total of 160 fixtures were played, the impact of which can be seen on the FIFA Rankings.
SAI appoints Arjuna Awardee Commodore PK Garg as new CEO of TOPS
- The Sports Authority of India (SAI) appointed Commodore PK Garg as the Chief Executive Officer (CEO) of the Target Olympic Podium Scheme (TOPS).
- Commodore Garg, who was the High-Performance Director with Sports Authority of India till June 2021, is also an Arjuna Awardee recipient (1990) in Sailing and has also won the Major Dhyan Chand Khel Ratna Awardee in 1993-94.
Dr Akshata Prabhu won the title at Ms International World 2021
- Dr Akshata Prabhu brings praise for India by emerging as a winner at Ms. International World 2021, a gala event concluded in the USA.
- India won the first-ever Ms. International World title.
- Dr. Akshata Prabhu became the first Indian woman to achieve such a milestone.
- Dr. Akshata was crowned by Ms. Gelsinya Bareeva from Russia, former Ms. International World.
Telangana State Prisons Department installs a ‘My Nation’ stall.
- Telangana State Prisons Department installs ‘My Nation’ stall selling products made by inmates.
- The Telangana State Prisons Department is aiming to compete with one of the country’s top consumer goods companies.
- 950 My Nation outlets across the State that sell several products produced by the prisoners have already been made.
Punjab to host investors’ summit on Oct. 26 – 27
- Punjab is organising the Progressive Punjab Investors’ Summit (PPIs) on October 26 and 27, an event aimed to provide a platform to experience the success story of Punjab and explore investment opportunities offered by the State.
- The Punjab CM exhorted the leading champions of the industry from across the country to avail the pro-investor facilities and to set up their ventures in Punjab.
Narendra Modi to attend Glasgow climate meet
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi will travel to Glasgow on October 31 to attend the U.N. Climate Change Conference (COP26).
- Mr Modi and U.K. PM are expected to jointly launch the “one world, one solar, one grid”.
- The decision comes when climate negotiation delegations from the United States, the European Union and the United Kingdom travelled to Delhi to discuss India’s climate goals.
‘Azadi Ka Amrit Mahotsav’ run from Gwalior culminates in Delhi
- As a part of “Azadi Ka Amrit Mahotsav”, a tri-service run organised by HQ IDS has culminated at the National War Memorial in the national capital.
- The run commenced from Maharani Laxmibai Smarak in Gwalior on October 15 with seven members that included two women officers.
- The team was received by Chief of Defence Staff General Bipin Rawat at the National War Memorial.
First Maori woman to become New Zealand’s Governor-general
- Dame Cindy Karo, New Zealand’s first indigenous Maori woman to be named Governor-general, was formally sworn in on 21 October 2021.
- In New Zealand, the Governor-general carries out constitutional and ceremonial duties on behalf of the British monarch, who remains the country’s official head of state.
- Maori are the indigenous Polynesian people of mainland New Zealand.
NITI Aayog launches Atal Innovation Mission Digi-book
- NITI Aayog’s Atal Innovation Mission (AIM) has launched – “Innovations for You”.
- It is an attempt to showcase the success stories of Atal Innovation Mission’s Startups in different domains.
- The first edition of this book is focused on innovations in Health Care and soon other sectors shall follow.
- The book is a compilation of 45 health tech startups, incubated at Atal Incubation Centres.
29 scientists of Jadavpur University in Stanford University database
- 29 scientists of Jadavpur University, Kolkata have found a place in the database compiled by Stanford University.
- It ranks the top 2% of scientists worldwide based on their research publications.
- The number of scientists from JU is the highest in the list among all the universities of the country.
- This was followed by BHU (24), University of Hyderabad (22), and University of Delhi (18).
India aims $100 billion textile exports in 5 years
- India aims to achieve $100 billion from textiles exports in the next five years and bring in more schemes in this regard.
- This was informed by Darshana Vikram Jardosh, Minister of State for Textiles, on 21 October 2021.
- India’s textiles and allied product exports stood at just $30.4 billion in FY21, down 10% from a year before due to the Covid crisis.
International Stuttering Awareness Day: 22 October
- International Stuttering Awareness Day is observed every year on October 22.
- October 22 was designated International Stuttering Awareness Day (ISAD) in 1998.
- The theme for this year is “Speak The Change You Wish To See”.
- This day is intended to raise public awareness of stuttering, which affects one percent of the world’s population.
Indian economy to see 10.5% or higher growth this fiscal: Niti Aayog
- Indian economy is expected to grow 10.5% or more in the current fiscal (2021-22).
- This was informed by Niti Aayog Vice Chairman Rajiv Kumar on 21 October 2021.
- The country’s economy grew by a record 20.1% in the April-June 2021 quarter.
- The Reserve Bank of India (RBI) has lowered the growth projection for the current financial year to 9.5% from 10.5%.
India among 11 ‘countries of concern’ on climate change
- Afghanistan, India, and Pakistan were among 11 countries singled out by US intelligence agencies as being “highly vulnerable”.
- They are vulnerable in terms of their ability to prepare for and respond to environmental and societal crises caused by climate change.
- The National Intelligence Estimate has identified 11 nations which also include Myanmar, Iraq, North Korea, Guatemala, Haiti, etc.
Intas launches the world’s first SB-100mg Itraconazole
- One of the world’s leading pharmaceutical companies, Intas Pharmaceuticals, has launched the world’s first Super Bioavailable Itraconazole-SB 100mg by the brand name of Itaspor-SB Forte/Subawin.
- It has been recently approved by Indian Regulatory Authorities.
- Itaspor is expected to improve patient compliance and reduce the doctor’s counseling time.
- It will reduce dosing to half.
“One Sun” political declaration approved at ISA assembly
- The “One Sun” political declaration for the launch of Green Grids Initiative-One Sun One World One Grid (GGI-OSOWOG) at COP26 was approved at the fourth general assembly of the International Solar Alliance (ISA).
- A promise to achieve $1 trillion global solar investments by 2030 was also approved.
- ISA was co-founded by India during the 2015 climate change conference in Paris.
Pakistan to remain in ‘Grey List’ of Financial Action Task Force
- Pakistan will continue to remain in the increased monitoring ‘Grey List’ of global terror financing watchdog FATF (Financial Action Task Force).
- Pakistan has been on the Paris-based FATF’s grey list for deficiencies in its counter-terror financing and anti-money laundering regimes since June 2018.
- Moreover, three other countries on the FATF list are: Jordan, Mali, and Turkey.
Srinagar Municipal Corp launches survey for GIS mapping of the city
- Under the Smart City project, the Srinagar Municipal Corporation has launched its door-to-door survey for Geographic Information System (GIS) mapping of the city.
- Herein, a GIS tag carrying a unique code of identification for each house will be placed outside houses, making it easier to locate them on Google maps.
- The GIS numbers will be installed in all houses within the municipal limits.
152 SAKSHAM Centres launched as part of Amrit Mahotsav
- A total of 152 Centre for Financial Literacy and Service Delivery (SAKSHAM Centres) across 77 districts of 13 states were launched under Deendayal Antyodaya Yojana – National Rural Livelihoods Mission (DAY-NRLM) in October 2021.
- They have been launched as part of Azadi ka Amrit Mahotsav.
- The main objective of the center is to facilitate the delivery of financial services to the rural poor.
Earth Guardian Award for Parambikulam Tiger Conservation Foundation
- Parambikulam Tiger Conservation Foundation has won the Earth Guardian Award for its efforts in supporting the conservation of tigers and biodiversity.
- The award was instituted by NatWest Group India.
- “Biodiversity – a resilient nature is the foundation on which all climate mitigation and adaptation efforts must be raised”, is the theme for the 2021 awards.
- Eight winners were felicitated.
Tamil Nadu CM M.K. Stalin launches IT Department portals
- Tamil Nadu Chief Minister M.K. Stalin inaugurated two web portals named ‘e-Munnetram’ and ‘IT Nanban’ developed by Information Technology Departmentt, on 22 October 2021.
- He also released two Tamil computing softwares ‘Keezhadi Keyboard’ and ‘Tamizhi – Tamizhinayam Unicode converter’.
- e-Munnetram is a platform that will facilitate review of the progress of all major infrastructure projects.
Myntra CEO Amar Nagaram resigns
- Myntra CEO Amar Nagaram has resigned three years after he was elevated to the top post.
- Nagaram’s resignation comes days after Flipkart Group transferred Myntra’s business development head R Ayyappan to handle the business of Cleartrip.
- Flipkart has appointed Sharon Pais, head of loyalty and travel at Flipkart, as the new business development head of Myntra replacing Ayyappan.
L&T to invest up to Rs 5,000 crore to implement and adopt green energy
- Larsen & Toubro Ltd (L&T) will be investing up to Rs 5,000 crore to implement and adopt green energy into its manufacturing and construction sites.
- It aims to achieve carbon and water neutrality targets by 2035-2040.
- The company is in the process of developing a sustainability roadmap for FY22 to FY26 aligned with its ‘Lakshya 2026’ targets.
PM virtually addresses national level Conclave of Indian Air Force
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi virtually addressed the national level Conclave of the Indian Air Force on 22 October 2021.
- It was inaugurated by Defence minister Rajnath Singh in Bengaluru.
- The conclave is part of the events organized to celebrate the Swarnim Vijay Varsh.
- The historic victory over the Pak army secured by our armed forces is celebrated as Vijay Diwas every year.
Barbados elects its first President
- Barbados has elected its first-ever President.
- It will remove Britain’s Queen Elizabeth II as the head of state.
- Dame Sandra Mason is set to be sworn in on November 30, 2021, which will mark the country’s 55th anniversary of independence from Britain.
- The first woman to serve on the Barbados Court of Appeals, Sandra has been Governor-General since 2018.
IIFCL gets Reserve Bank’s approval to finance InVITs
- India Infrastructure Finance Co. Ltd. (IIFCL) is set to finance infrastructure investment trusts (InVITs).
- It has received approval from the Reserve Bank of India to back InVITs and will spend about ₹4,000 crores in this segment this fiscal (2021-22).
- The InVIT structure allows developers to pool their completed projects under these trusts and reduce debt servicing costs.
India to become $5 trillion economies by 2024-25: Hardeep Singh Puri
- India will become a USD 5 trillion economy by 2024-25 and a USD 10 trillion by 2030.
- This was informed by Union Minister Hardeep Singh Puri on 21 October 2021.
- He was speaking at the Public Affairs of India (PAFI)’s 8th National Forum.
- He also informed that India will become a USD 10 trillion economies by 2030.
UK Foreign Secretary Elizabeth Truss on 2-day visit to India
- British Foreign Secretary Elizabeth Truss is on a 2-day visit to India from October 22-24, 2021.
- She will hold talks with External Affairs Minister S Jaishankar
- She will announce investments to boost clean energy production.
- Truss will announce a series of tech and infrastructure tie-ups “with India to boost both economies and help developing countries grow in a clean and sustainable way.
Ridhima Veerendrakumar bags gold medal in 50m backstroke
- Karnataka swimmer Ridhima Veerendrakumar bagged gold at the 37th Sub Junior and 47th Junior National Championships in 50m backstrokes for group II girls, in Bengaluru on 21 October 2021.
- Ridhima clocked 29.94 seconds to erase Maana Patel’s record of 30.37 seconds created in 2014.
- Shalini Dixit of Karnataka bagged the silver medal in this event while Sri Nitya Sago of Telangana took bronze.
South Korea launches its first homegrown space rocket
- South Korea launched its first homegrown rocket on 21 October 2021.
- The rocket is called Nuri.
- It was launched from the country’s Naro Space Center.
- Nuri is the country’s first space launch vehicle developed and built completely with South Korean technology.
- The rocket is designed to carry a payload of up to 1.5 tons to an orbit 600 to 800 kilometers above Earth.