Top Current Affairs of the day: Instantly obtain Latest Current Affairs with all essential info, Be the first to know all the Today Current affairs 20th September 2021 top news, Major Issues, Current News, Important events in National Current News as well as International level with clear explanation. For all competitive exams and Interviews, equip yourself with the Latest Current Affairs on 20th September 2021 granted here.
Top Current Affairs
15th Indo-Nepal joint military exercise begins on September 20
- The 15th edition of the Indo-Nepal joint military exercise “Surya Kiran” began on September 20, 2021, in Pithoragarh.
- Infantry battalions from both countries are participating in the exercise.
- The armies will be sharing with each other mountain warfare tactics, disaster assistance, rescue, and relief operations in mountainous terrains.
- The last exercise was held in Nepal in 2019.
CDS Gen Bipin Rawat to visit Russia to meet defence officials of SCO
- General Bipin Rawat is scheduled to go to Russia on his first foreign visit after taking charge as the Cheif of Defence Staff (CDS).
- He would also take part in the conference of the CDS-rank officers of the Shanghai Cooperation Agreement member countries.
- The CDS would witness the activities of the respective armed forces taking part in the SCO peace mission drills being held in Russia.
India to become 3rd largest importer by the year 2050
- India would become the world’s third-largest importer by 2050 with a share of 5.9% of global imports, right behind China and the US, according to the latest Global Trade Outlook report.
- The report is issued by the UK’s Department of International Trade.
- At present, India is ranked eighth among the largest importing nations with a 2.8% import share.
Taliban removes Uzbek from official language status
- The Taliban on 20 September 2021 removed Uzbek from official language status.
- The Taliban issued an interim law for Afghanistan, which establishes a new system of government and leaves two official languages instead of the three previously enshrined in the legislation.
- The law entitled “Fundamentals” indicates the official language of Afghanistan – Pashto, and Dari.
Charanjit Singh Channi to take oath as Chief Minister of Punjab
- Congress leader Charanjit Singh Channi will take oath as the 16th Chief Minister of Punjab on 20 Sep 2021.
- He was elected the Congress Legislature Party leader on 19 Sep 2021.
- He will be the first Dalit to hold the post in the state.
- In 2017, he was appointed as the Cabinet Minister for Technical Education and Industrial Training, Employment Generation.
Ration card-related services are now available at common services centres
- Services related to ration cards, updating card details and seeding with Aadhaar, would now be available at over 3.7 lakh common services centres (CSC) across the country.
- The Ministry of Consumer Affairs has tied up with CSC e-Governance Services India Ltd to streamline ration deliveries and strengthen the public distribution system (CSC) in semi-urban and rural areas across the country.
Virat Kohli to step down as RCB captain after IPL 2021
- Virat Kohli on 19 September 2021 announced that he would step down from Royal Challengers Bangalore captaincy after the 14th edition of the Indian Premier League (IPL 2021).
- Kohli has played 199 IPL matches and scored 6076 runs so far with five hundred.
- The highest-paid cricketer in the IPL, Kohli was the first to be retained by his franchise ahead of the 2018 players auction.
G20 Agriculture Ministers commit to ensuring sustainable food systems
- Ministers for Agriculture from the G20 nations have committed to shifting their sector policies to better ensure the sustainability and security of food systems in the world.
- After a two-day summit in Italy, the Ministers approved a final statement made of 21 points, mostly focused on “identifying and overcoming the major hurdles to meeting the SDGs (Sustainable Development Goals)”.
Ministry of Commerce to celebrate ‘Vanijya Saptah’ from 20 to 26 Sept
- The Ministry of Commerce is organizing special events and programmes during 20-26 September 2021, as part of the ‘Azadi Ka Amrit Mahotsav’ celebrations.
- It will observe the ‘Vanijya Saptah’ during the period 20-26 September 2021.
- The Department for Promotion of Industry and Internal Trade (DPIIT) would launch platforms namely National Single Window System and Industrial Park Rating System.
The Netherlands unveils its first national Holocaust monument
- A monument listing 102,163 Dutch victims of the Holocaust was unveiled by King Willem-Alexander in Amsterdam on 19 September 2021.
- It is the first memorial to commemorate all the victims from across the Netherlands in one place.
- Each stone carries the name of a Jew, Roma or Sinti who was deported from the Netherlands and who died in Nazi concentration camps during World War II.
Over 1 crore informal workers registered on the e-Shram portal
- The labor ministry informed on 19 September 2021 that over one crore unorganised workers have registered themselves at e-Shram portal.
- e-Shram portal is India’s first national database on unorganised workers.
- As per the Economic Survey 2019-20, there are an estimated 38 crore unorganised workers (UW) in the country, which would be targeted to register on this portal.
Telangana’s Rithvik becomes 70th Grandmaster from India
- Raja Rithvik of Telangana has become the 70th Grandmaster from India.
- The 17-year-old crossed the mandatory ELO 2,500-mark to earn the GM title in the Vezerkepzo GM chess tournament in Budapest, Hungary.
- He achieved four rating points after defeated FIDE Master Finek Vaclav of Czechoslovakia.
Rajnath Singh flags-in expedition to Mt Kun by NIMAS team
- Defence Minister Rajnath Singh flagged in, on 20 Sept 2021, a team of National Institute of Mountaineering and Allied Sports (NIMAS) Dirang, Arunachal Pradesh, which completed a mountaineering expedition to Mount Kun (7,077 metres).
- The team conducted the expedition to the Nun-Kun Mountain Massif which is the highest feature of Zanskar ranges located in Kargil.
L&T Hydrocarbon bags Petronet LNG order
- Larsen & Toubro’s hydrocarbon engineering division has won a “significant order” from Petronet LNG as a part of its Dahej expansion project in Gujarat.
- L&T Hydrocarbon Engineering (LTHE) will build two LNG storage tanks with a capacity of 170,000 cubic metre each for ‘Phase IIIB’ of Petronet LNG, which is a joint venture company promoted by four public sector companies.
Emmy Awards- I
- The Emmy Awards 2021 were announced on 19 September 2021.
- Best Drama Series was awarded to ‘The Crown’, while ‘Ted Lasso’ was awarded Best Comedy Series.
- Jason Sudeikis was awarded Best Comedy Actor for Ted Lasso, while Jean Smart was awarded Best Comedy Actress for Hacks.
- Olivia Colman received Best Drama Actress for The Crown and Josh O’Connor received Best Drama Actor for The Crown.
Emmy Awards 2021- II
- Gillian Anderson and Tobias Menzies won Best Supporting Actress and Actor for The Crown.
- Brett Goldstein and Hannah Waddingham won Best Supporting Actor and Actress in a Comedy for Ted Lasso.
- Kate Winslet won Best Actress, Limited Series of Movie for Mare of Easttown, while Ewan McGregor won Best Actor, Limited Series of Movie for Halston.
Chhattisgarh ex-minister Rajinderpal Singh Bhatia passes away
- A former minister and BJP leader from Chhattisgarh’s Rajnandgaon district Rajinderpal Singh Bhatia passed away in September 2021.
- A three-time MLA from Khujji assembly constituency of the district, Bhatia was the minister of state for commerce and industry in the first BJP government led by chief minister Raman Singh.
- He unsuccessfully contested as an independent candidate from Khujji seat.
Tropical storm Peter forms in the Atlantic Ocean
- Tropical Storm Peter formed in the Atlantic Ocean east of the Caribbean on 19 September 2021.
- It is the 16th named storm of the 2021 season.
- In 2020, there were 30 named storms, including six major hurricanes.
- It was the highest number of storms on record, surpassing the 28 from 2005, and included the second-highest number of hurricanes on record.
Volcano erupts on Spain’s Canary Islands
- The Cumbre Vieja volcano erupted on Spain’s Canary Islands on 19 September 2021.
- Cumbre Vieja, which last erupted 50 years ago, straddles a ridge in the south of La Palma island, home to around 80,000 people.
- The Canaries, an archipelago of 7 islands off of northwestern Africa, last recorded a volcanic eruption in 2011.
- Cumbre Vieja erupted twice in the 20th century — in 1971 and in 1949.
HDFC Bank partners with Paytm to launch co-branded credit cards
- HDFC Bank and Paytm have announced plans to launch a range of credit cards powered by global card network Visa in October 2021.
- The credit cards will be customized to meet the distinct needs of retail customers, from new-to-credit users to affluent users, and offer one of the best-in-class rewards and cashback for users.
- They will target deeper penetration in tier-II and tier-III markets.
Tata Power to set up 250 MW solar power plant in Maharashtra
- Tata Power’s subsidiary TP Saurya Limited (TPSL) has received the ‘Letter of Intent’ (LoI) from Maharashtra State Power Generation Co. Ltd. (MAHAGENCO) for setting up of 250 MW Grid-Connected Solar Photovoltaic Power plant in Maharashtra.
- The project will be commissioned within 15 months from the date of PPA execution.
- With this, the total renewable capacity of Tata Power will reach 4611 MW.
Menhir from the Megalithic period found in Basrur
- A typical Menhir stone slab, about seven feet in height, was found at Basrur, a medieval historical city, on the west coast of India.
- The Menhir found at Basrur is oriented to the north-west direction and is slightly leaning to the east.
- Basure or Basiru means pregnant in the local language, Kannada.
- Basrur is known by various names like Basurepattana, Basurepura, Vasupura and Basaruru.
Pankaj Advani lifts Asian Snooker Championship for the second time
- India’s Pankaj Advani successfully defended the Asian Snooker Championship at the Al Messila in Doha, Qatar in September 2021.
- He defeated Amir Sarkhosh of Iran 6-3 (72-42, 72-0, 70-49, 41-66, 70-17, 30-68, 74-34, 12-50, 64-44) in the best of 11 frames final.
- In 2019, Pankaj also became the only player who won the titles in all forms of billiards, snooker, 6Reds, and 10Reds competitions.
BRO appoints women Army officers as in-charge of RCC
- The Border Roads Organisation (BRO) has appointed women Army officer for the first as the Officer Commanding of its 75 road construction company (RCC) in Uttarakhand.
- The three platoon commanders under Major Aaina, Captain Anjana, AEE (Civ) Bhawana Joshi and AEE (Civ) Vishnumaya K became the first women RCC.
- The appointments were made on August 30, 2021.
Rajnath Singh launches a book title ‘Shining Sikh Youth Of India’
- Defence Minister Rajnath Singh has released a book titled ‘Shining Sikh Youth of India’.
- It has been authored by Dr Prabhleen Singh, administrative officer at the Punjabi University, Patiala.
- The book is part of the commemoration of the 400th birth anniversary of Guru Tegh Bahadur, the ninth Guru of Sikhs.
- The book covers 100 inspirational and motivational success stories of Sikh youth.
Sikkim declares ‘Katley’ as state fish
- The Sikkim government has declared ‘Cooper Mahseer’ locally named ‘Katley’ as the state fish.
- In Sikkim, Katley is found in varied altitudes covering the entire state predominantly confined in Teesta and Rangit rivers and their tributaries.
- In the year 1992, ICAR-National Bureau of Fish Genetic Resources (ICAR-NBFGR), Lucknow had categorized Katley fish as endangered species.
Facebook India appoints Rajiv Aggarwal as Head of Public Policy
- Facebook India has appointed ex-IAS officer and former Uber executive Rajiv Aggarwal as the Director of Public Policy.
- Rajiv Aggarwal succeeds Ankhi Das, who quit in October 2020.
- His last assignment was with Uber, where he was the Head of Public Policy for India and South Asia.
- He is an IAS and has worked as a District Magistrate in nine districts across the state of Uttar Pradesh.
Advent acquires Eureka Forbes for ₹4,400 crore
- American firm Advent International has agreed to buy a majority stake in Eureka Forbes Ltd. for ₹4,400 crores.
- Eureka is the consumer durable flagship of Shapoorji Pallonji Group and a household name in the vacuum cleaner and water purifier segments
- Eureka Forbes Ltd, a unit of Forbes and Co. Ltd will be separated from the parent and listed on BSE.
Kotak Mahindra Bank to acquire 9.9% stake in KFin Technologies
- Kotak Mahindra Bank Limited has agreed to acquire 9.9% stake in KFin Technologies at an investment of ₹310 crores.
- KFin provides financial technology solutions across a broad spectrum of asset classes spanning mutual funds, alternatives, insurance, and pension.
- This investment is in line with Kotak’s strategy of making minority investments in businesses that are professionally managed.
Manny Pacquiao nominated as a candidate for Presidential elections
- In Philippines, boxing star Manny Pacquiao has been nominated as a candidate for Presidential elections.
- He was nominated by a faction of the ruling party, PDP-Laban.
- He is a senator in the Philippines’ parliament.
- As a boxer, he won world titles in eight different weight divisions.
- He lost his most recent bout against a Cuban opponent and is considering retiring.
Health Minister Mansukh Mandaviya e-inaugurates five ADF Centres
- Union Minister for Health and Family Welfare and Chemicals and Fertilizers, Mansukh Mandaviya e-inaugurated 5 Addiction Treatment Facility, ATF Centres on 19 Sept’21.
- They were inaugurated from the Regional Institute of Health and Family Welfare (RIHFW) Dhobiwan of Baramulla district in J&K.
- These 5 ATFs will strengthen the existing drug de-addiction mechanism.