Top Current Affairs of the day: Instantly obtain Latest Current Affairs with all essential info, Be the first to know all the Today Current affairs 18th September 2021 top news, Major Issues, Current News, Important events in National Current News as well as International level with clear explanation. For all competitive exams and Interviews, equip yourself with the Latest Current Affairs on 18th September 2021 granted here.
Top Current Affairs
World Water Monitoring Day: 18 September
- World Water Monitoring Day is observed on 18 September every year.
- The day is aimed at increasing public awareness and involvement in water monitoring and protecting water resources around the world.
- It was observed first in 2003 by America’s Clean Water Foundation as a global educational outreach program by engaging citizens to conduct basic monitoring of their local water bodies.
International Coastal Clean-Up Day: 18 September
- International Coastal Clean-Up Day is observed on the third Saturday of September.
- For 2021, it was observed on 18 September.
- The day aims to increase public awareness about the accumulation and negative impacts of litter in oceans, on coastlines and on beaches.
- The theme for 2021 is “Keep trash in the bin and not in the ocean”.
- The day was first observed in 1986 by Ocean Conservancy.
MTC, Exigo form joint venture to process e-wastes
- India’s largest metal scrap processor MTC Group and e-waste recycler Exigo Recycling Private Limited have formed a joint venture company MTC-Exigo Recycling Pvt. Ltd (MERPL).
- It has been formed to process e-wastes and ramp up recycling capacity.
- MERPL targets to process over 2 lakh tons of e-waste annually, ramping up the recycling capacity in a phased manner across 10 cities in India.
Researchers develop a device that generates electricity from raindrops
- The researchers at IIT Delhi have designed a device that can generate electricity from water drops, raindrops, water streams, and even from ocean waves.
- The device has been developed using “Triboelectric Effect” and “Electrostatic Induction”.
- It is called “Liquid-solid Interface Triboelectric Nanogenerator”.
- The device consists of nanocomposite polymers and contact electrodes.
Rajasthan amends Marriage Act allows registration of child marriages
- Rajasthan government has passed the Rajasthan Compulsory Registration of Marriages (Amendment) Bill, 2021.
- The bride and groom can apply for registration of marriage to the marriage registration officer of the place where they have been residing for more than 30 days.
- The bill does not say that child marriage is valid.
- The bill says that after marriage, only registration is necessary.
Commemorative postal stamp launched in Srinagar
- Union Minister of State for Communications, Devusinh Chauhan launched a commemorative postal stamp on 17 September 2021.
- It was launched in honour of Rao Jaimal Rathore on his 515th birth anniversary in Srinagar.
- Rathore was a Rajput warrior general of Chittorgarh who put up a defiant resistance against the vast Mughal army during its siege in 1567 to 1568.
Sirarakhong Chilli and Tamenglong Orange of Manipur receive GI tag
- Manipur Chief Minister, N. Biren Singh has announced that the famous Sirarakhong Chilli and Tamenglong Orange have now received the Geographical Index (GI) tag.
- Tamenglong orange is a species of mandarin group and contributes over 50 percent of the state’s annual production.
- Hathei chilli is one of the best varieties of chillies in the world having its distinctive flavour and colour.
More than 85% of people in Mumbai have developed immunity against Covid
- Mumbai civic body had conducted a serosurvey according to which more than 85 percent of the population has developed immunity against the Coronavirus.
- 86.64 percent of the citizens of Mumbai have developed antibodies against Covid 19.
- Of these, 87.02% samples were from slum areas and 86.22% were from non-slum areas.
- 88.29% of females have developed immunity against 85.07% of males.
G-33 Virtual Informal Ministerial Meeting held
- The G-33 Virtual Informal Ministerial Meeting organized by Indonesia was held on 16 September 2021.
- It was held to discuss the agricultural priority issues of G33 and the way forward for the 12th Ministerial Conference scheduled to be held from 30th November to 3rd December 2021.
- India’s official delegation for the meeting was headed by Commerce and Industry Minister Piyush Goyal.
New Passenger Terminal Building inaugurated at Petrapole
- In a major boost to connectivity between India and Bangladesh, a new Passenger Terminal Building was inaugurated on 17 September 2021 at the Integrated Check Post (ICP), Petrapole.
- It is equipped with facilities such as immigration, customs, and security.
- ICP Petrapole is the largest land port in India and the 9th largest land port in South Asia handling about 23 lakh passengers annually.
Home Minister Amit Shah launches Ujjwala 2.0 scheme
- Union Home Minister Amit Shah launched the Ujjwala 2.0 scheme on 18 September 2021 during his day-long visit to Madhya Pradesh.
- Ujjwala 2.0 scheme aims to cover 10 million more beneficiaries in the second phase of the scheme.
- Under Ujjwala 2.0, migrant workers can avail a free cooking gas connection on the basis of a self-declaration without any need for documents like address proof.
Dharmendra Pradhan presents Kaushalacharya Awards 2021
- Education and Skill Development Minister Dharmendra Pradhan virtually presented Kaushalacharya Awards 2021 to 41 skill trainers for their exemplary contribution to the skill ecosystem.
- These trainers are from several initiatives and training programmes of Skill India- Directorate General of Training (DGT), Pradhan Mantri Kaushal Vikas Yojana, Jan Shikshan Sansthan (JSS), etc.
QCI launches Prof. S.K. Joshi Laboratory Excellence Award
- Quality Council of India (QCI) launched the Prof. S.K. Joshi Laboratory Excellence Award on 16 September 2021 virtually.
- This is the country’s first-of-its-kind LaboratoryExcellence Award.
- This award has been instituted to promote Laboratory Quality and performance improvement in the country.
- There are three Trophies in each category of laboratory accompanied with a cash reward.
Virat joins Hyperice as athlete-investor, global brand ambassador
- Virat Kohli has partnered with the global wellness brand Hyperice as an ‘athlete-investor’ and brand ambassador.
- Through the partnership, Kohli will work collaboratively with it to further accelerate the wellness category as it begins its expansion into India.
- Founded in 2010, Hyperice has numerous product lines including Hypervolt (percussion line), Normatec (dynamic air compression), etc.
IIFL Home Finance signs agreement for Co-lending with PNB
- IIFL Home Finance Ltd. (IIFL HFL) has signed an agreement with Punjab National Bank for co-lending.
- The loan sourcing and servicing will be managed by IIFL Home Finance and 80% of the loan will be provided by Punjab National Bank.
- This arrangement will also help IIFL offer attractive interest rates to its customers in 17 states, with a focus on Andhra Pradesh, MP, Gujarat, and Karnataka.
IISc Bengaluru establishes a new AI and machine learning centre
- Kotak Mahindra Bank Ltd and the Indian Institute of Science have announced a partnership to set up an Artificial Intelligence and Machine Learning (AI-ML) centre at the IISc campus.
- Spread across approximately 1,40,000 square feet, the Kotak-IISc AI-ML centre will offer Bachelor’s, Master’s and short-term courses.
- The Centre has been established under Kotak’s CSR project.
RN Ravi was sworn-in as Governor of Tamil Nadu
- Ravindra Narayan Ravi has been sworn-in as the Governor of Tamil Nadu, succeeding Banwarilal Purohit who has since been shifted to Punjab.
- Chief Justice of the Madras High Court, Sanjib Banerjee administered the oath of office to Ravi on 17 September 2021.
- Ravi was earlier appointed as the Centre’s Interlocutor for the Naga peace talks.
International Equal Pay Day: 18 September
- The International Equal Pay Day (IEPD) is observed annually on September 18.
- The objective is to raise awareness to promote action towards achieving equal pay for work of equal value.
- The first-ever (IEPD) was celebrated by United Nations in 2020.
- In November 2019, the UN General Assembly adopted a resolution proclaiming September 18 as International Equal Pay Day.
Union Minister Muraleedharan concludes three-day visit to Algeria
- Minister of State for External Affairs, V. Muraleedharan was on a three-day visit to Algeria that concluded on 17 September 2021.
- During the visit, he called on Prime Minister of Algeria, Aimene Benabderrahmane, and held discussions on a range of bilateral, regional and international issues.
- It was agreed to hold the 10th round of India-Algeria Joint Commission Meeting at an early date.
Govt launches countrywide free telemedicine consultation facility
- Union Minister Dr. Jitendra Singh launched a countrywide free telemedicine consultation cum drugs facility on 17 September 2021.
- The Minister also announced that “JIGYASA”, a student-scientist connect programme of the Ministry of Science and Technology, will be extended to cover schools in over 700 districts of India within one year.
- It is jointly executed with Kendriya Vidyalaya Sangathan.
Commerce Minister Piyush Goyal attends G-20 Sherpas’ meeting
- A two-day virtual meeting of G-20 Sherpas was attended by Commerce Minister Piyush Goyal on September 15 and 16,2021.
- The meeting was chaired by Ambassador Luigi Mattiolo, Italy’s G20 Sherpa.
- The agenda of the meeting was to discuss and exchange views on the draft Rome Declaration, which would be adopted by G20 Leaders at the Rome Summit on October 30 and 31,2021.
Beijing 2022 WG reveals official motto: “Together for a Shared Future”
- The official motto of the Olympic and Paralympic Winter Games (WG) Beijing 2022 was revealed as “Together for a Shared Future” by the organizing team.
- The motto represents the power of the Games to overcome global challenges as a community, with a shared future for humankind.
- The Olympic Winter Games are scheduled to be held in Beijing, China between February 4 and 20,2022.
World Bank to discontinue Doing Business report
- The World Bank Group on 17 September 2021 has decided to discontinue the publication of its Doing Business (DB) report.
- The decision was taken after a probe of data irregularities due to pressure by some bank officials to boost China’s ranking in 2017 came forth.
- The DB report assesses regulatory environments, ease of business startups, infrastructure, and other business climate measures.
LIC launches mobile app ‘PRAGATI’ for use by development officers
- Life Insurance Corporation (LIC) launched a new mobile app ‘PRAGATI’ (Performance Review Application, Growth And Trend Indicator) for use by its Development Officers.
- The app would give various information which is updated in near real-time about the performance of their agency force in critical areas of business performance like premium collection, and agency activisation.
TRIFED, FITT and Rusicaa partner to promote Mahua Nutra in J’khand
- Tribal Cooperative Marketing Development Federation of India Limited (TRIFED) has entered into a collaborative project with the Foundation for Innovation and Technology Transfer (FIIT), and Rusicaa Beverages, Jharkhand to commercialize the production of Mahua Nutra beverage.
- FIIT is an innovation unit established by IIT Delhi.
- Mahua Nutra is a heritage drink in the state of Jharkhand.
UP CM distributes tool kits to 21,000 beneficiaries under VSSY
- On the occasion of Vishwakarma Jayanti, Uttar Pradesh Chief Minister Yogi Adityanath on 17 September 2021 distributed tool kits to 21,000 beneficiaries under ‘Vishwakarma Shram Samman Yojana’ (VSSY).
- Under VSSY, youths are imparted training in traditional work like carpentry, tailoring, blacksmith, goldsmith, pottery shop, and running sweat meat shop.
J&K LG launches senior citizens national helpline ”Elderline-14567”
- Lieutenant Governor Manoj Sinha on 17 September 2021 launched the senior citizen’s national helpline ”Elderline-14567” in Jammu and Kashmir.
- The Elderline would serve as a vital support system to comfort the distressed elderly through a dedicated decentralized call center, extending emotional care and support, health services, and other aids to needy senior citizens.
Wipro launches co-innovation space with Google Cloud
- IT services major Wipro on 17 September 2021 announced the launch of the Wipro-Google Cloud Innovation Arena in Bengaluru to accelerate the adoption of cloud services.
- This cloud collaboration space would provide in-house technical expertise, ensure seamless cloud adoption, and accelerate innovation to drive business transformation for customers.
KVIC launches SPIN Scheme to empower potters’ community in Varanasi
- Khadi and Village Industries Commission (KVIC) launched a unique scheme called SPIN (Strengthening the Potential of India) on the occasion of “Sewa Diwas”, the birthday of Prime Minister Narendra Modi.
- It also set up a pottery cluster under SFURTI (Scheme of Fund for Regeneration of Traditional Industries Scheme) in Varanasi to empower over 1100 people of the marginalized potters’ community.
The Wire receives IPI’s Free Media Pioneer Award
- Indian news portal The Wire has received the 2021 Free Media Pioneer Award instituted by the Vienna-based International Press Institute.
- The annual Free Media Pioneer Award was established by the International Press Institute (IPI) in 1996 to recognize media organizations that are innovating for better journalism and news access.
Researchers develop a new chemical that gets reluctant seeds to sprout
- A UC (University of California) Riverside-led team has developed a new chemical ‘Antabactin’ that would aid seeds to spring to life, which otherwise would have been dormant.
- These findings have been published in the National Academy of Sciences, USA.
- Antabactin blocks the Abscisic acid (ABA) hormone that plants use to prevent seed germination, hence making the dormant seeds also sprout.
Biocon Biologics, Serum Institute Life Sciences to expand tie-up
- Biocon Biologics and Serum Institute Life Sciences plan to expand their alliance to other areas such as cross-leveraging the capacity, investing in R&D and expanding the product pipeline.
- The companies have announced an agreement where Biocon Biologics will get access to 100 million doses of vaccines per annum for 15 years, primarily from Serum’s vaccine facility in Pune.
HPCL to build 5,000 EV charging stations in 3 years
- Hindustan Petroleum Corp Ltd (HPCL) plans to build 5,000 electric vehicle charging stations in three years.
- The move could help boost the wider adoption of EVs in the country and secure a significant share of the charging market for the company.
- HPCL currently has about 85 EV charging stations, all added to operational petrol pumps.
- It has 19,000 fuel retail outlets across the country.
GST exemption is given on the world’s costliest drugs Zolgngelsma and Vilteps
- The GST Council has given an exemption on expensive imported drugs such as Zolgngelsma and Viltepso, which cost crores of rupees.
- This was announced by Union Finance Minister Nirmala Sitharaman at the GST Council meeting on 17 September 2021.
- GST Council members made it clear they do not want petroleum products to be included under the single tax regime.
Centre launches phase 2 of Visvesvaraya PhD scheme
- The central govt launched the second phase of the Visvesvaraya PhD scheme on 17 Sept’21.
- It has been launched with an aim to promote research in 42 emerging technologies in electronics system design and manufacturing (ESDM) and information technology (IT)/information technology-enabled services(ITES).
- The scheme was initiated by the Ministry of Electronics and Information Technology in 2014.
The ozone hole over the South Pole is now bigger than Antarctica
- The hole in ozone that is created every year over the south pole region has now become larger than Antarctica.
- This was informed by scientists from the European Union’s Copernicus Atmosphere Monitoring Service.
- The layer depletes and forms a hole over the Antarctic in the southern hemisphere’s spring, which is from August to October.
World Bamboo Day: 18 September
- World Bamboo Day is celebrated every year on September 18.
- The day is observed to raise awareness about the fast-growing grass plant Bamboo.
- It day was established by World Bamboo Organisation (WBO) at the 8th World Bamboo Congress held in Bangkok in 2009.
- Bamboos are a diverse group of evergreen perennial flowering plants in the subfamily Bambusoideae of the grass family Poaceae.
International Red Panda Day: 18 September
- International Red Panda Day is observed on the third Saturday in September.
- For the year 2021, it will be celebrated on 18 September.
- The Red Panda Network launched International Red Panda Day in 2010.
- Only about 10,000 red pandas live in the wild.
- They are much smaller than the more familiar black and white pandas.
Grant of Rs. 2427 crore released to states for Urban Local Bodies
- The Department of Expenditure, Ministry of Finance released an amount of Rs. 2427 crore to 11 states for the Urban Local Bodies on 17 September 2021.
- The amount released is the 1st installment of tied grants for the year 2021-22.
- These grants have been provided for the Non-Million Plus cities (NMPCs) including Cantonment Boards.
Double Olympian Gold medalist Yuriy Sedykh passes away
- Yuriy Sedykh, a two-time Olympic champion in the hammer throw passed away in Sept’21.
- He won gold at the 1976 and 1980 Olympics, but missed the 1984 Los Angeles Games because of a Soviet boycott.
- He won a silver medal at the 1988 Seoul Olympics and won a world title in 1991.
- He threw a world record 86.74 meters at the European Championships in Stuttgart, Germany, a mark which still stands.
SBI’s Amit Saxena joins RBI Innovation Hub as CTO
- Amit Saxena, Global Deputy CTO of State Bank of India has joined RBI Innovation Hub as the CTO (Chief Technology Officer).
- On Aug 6, 2020, the Reserve Bank announced that it would set up Reserve Bank Innovation Hub (RBIH) to promote innovation across the financial sector.
- Before joining SBI, Saxena worked for companies like Syntel, HCL technologies, TechMahindra, and Quark.
Prof Jagdish Mukhi takes oath as Nagaland Governor
- Assam Governor Prof. Jagdish Mukhi took oath as the Governor of Nagaland in addition to his present responsibility on 17 September 2021 in Kohima.
- He was sworn in as the 20th Governor of Nagaland by the Judge of Gauhati High Court, Kohima Bench Justice Songkhupchung Setro.
- Nagaland Governor R N Ravi has been shifted to Tamil Nadu.