Top Current Affairs of the day: Instantly obtain Latest Current Affairs with all essential info, Be the first to know all the Today Current affairs 16th September 2021 top news, Major Issues, Current News, Important events in National Current News as well as International level with clear explanation. For all competitive exams and Interviews, equip yourself with the Latest Current Affairs on 16th September 2021 granted here.
Top Current Affairs
International Day for the Preservation of the Ozone Layer: 16 Sept
- International Day for the Preservation of the Ozone Layer is observed on September 16, every year.
- It is celebrated to spread awareness among people about the depletion of the ozone layer and search for possible solutions to preserve it.
- The theme for the year 2021 is ‘Montreal Protocol Keeping us, our food, and vaccines cool.’
UNCTAD projects India 2021 economic growth at 7.2%
- UNCTAD (United Nations Conference on Trade and Development) has projected India’s economy to grow at 7.2% in the 2021 calendar year.
- In India, consumer inflation was already at 6% before the pandemic.
- The Indian economy, which contracted 7% in 2020, grew 1.9% in the first quarter 2021.
- UNCTAD expects global economy to see a strong recovery in 2021, growing at 5.3% after a 3.5% fall in 2020.
Tata Steel commissions India’s first plant for CO2 capture
- Tata Steel has commissioned a 5-tonne per day (TPD) carbon capture plant at its Jamshedpur Works.
- This makes it the country’s first steel company to adopt such a carbon capture technology that extracts CO2 directly from the blast furnace gas.
- Tata Steel will reuse the captured CO2 on-site to promote a circular carbon economy.
Community Enterprise Fund disburses Rs. 8.6 Cr loans to 2614 SHGs
- Rural Development Ministry has provided a Community Enterprise Fund loan worth Rs. 8.60 crore to over 2,600 Self Help Group entrepreneurs, as part of the Azadi Ka Amrit Mahotsav.
- The loans were given for starting their micro-enterprises in their villages across 19 States under the Start-up Village Entrepreneurship Programme.
US, UK and Australia announce the formation of AUKUS
- US, UK and Australia have announced the formation of AUKUS – a new trilateral security partnership for the Indo-Pacific region.
- The first project of AUKUS will be to help Australia acquire a nuclear-powered conventionally-armed submarine fleet.
- It was announced in a joint address by British Prime Minister Boris Johnson, his Australian counterpart Scott Morrison and US President Joe Biden.
Three Bangladeshi films were selected for Busan International Film Festival
- Three Bangladeshi films have been selected for the 26th Busan International Film Festival (BIFF) to be held at Haeundae, Busan in South Korea from 6-15 October 2021.
- Rehana Maryam Noor directed by Abdullah Mohammad Saad, No Land’s Man directed by Mostofa Sarwar Farooki and Paayer Tolay Mati Nai (No Ground beneath the Feat) by Rabby Mridha have been included in a section of the festival.
Prasar Bharati & Sansad TV ink MoU for the uplink of ‘Sansad TV’
- Prasar Bharati and ‘Sansad TV’, which is a division of Parliament of India, have entered into an MoU for the uplink of ‘Sansad TV’ in HDTV format free of cost in exchange of archival content of LSTV and RSTV.
- Prasar Bharati will also carry Sansad TV-SD in its DD Free Dish Platform.
- Lok Sabha TV and Rajya Sabha TV channels has been merged as ‘Sansad TV’ now.
Gajendra Singh Shekhawat chairs conference of PHED ministers
- Jal Shakti Minister Gajendra Singh Shekhawat chaired the Conference of Public Health Engineering Department Ministers (PHED) of eight North-Eastern States on Jal Jeevan Mission on 16 Sept 2021.
- The one-day conference was held at Assam Administrative Staff College, Guwahati.
- Jal Jeevan Mission aims to make provision of tap water connection to every rural household across the country by 2024.
8th edition of Indian Army Chief’s Conclave begins from 16 September
- The 8th edition of the Indian Army Chief’s Conclave, a gathering of serving and former Chiefs of Army Staff of the Indian Army, is being organised at New Delhi from 16 Sept’21.
- The highlight of the three-day event will be the invite extended to former Chiefs of the Nepali Army.
- The Conclave is a forum for exchange of ideas between the old guard and the current leadership of the Indian Army.
NITI Aayog launches report on Reforms in Urban Planning Capacity
- NITI Aayog launched a report on ‘Reforms in Urban Planning Capacity in India’ on 16 September 2021.
- The report comprises a set of recommendations on various aspects of urban planning such as interventions for planning healthy cities, optimum utilization of urban land, ramping up human-resource capacities, etc.
- NITI Aayog had constituted an Advisory Committee for it in October 2020.
Public Warning System launched in Andhra Pradesh for disaster alerts
- Vi (Vodafone-Idea) has partnered with the Andhra Pradesh State Disaster Management Authority and Celltick to launch the first cell broadcast-based Public Warning System to alert citizens on a real-time basis on disasters.
- Celltick’s state-of-the-art Cell Broadcast Entity (CBE) and its Cell Broadcast Center (CBC) would deliver emergency warning alerts on Vi’s network in the state.
Indian-origin CEO’s green submarine project wins UK prize
- Indian-origin CEO’s green submarine project has been named among the winners of the UK government’s Clean Maritime Demonstration Competition.
- Dhruv Boruah’s Oceanways won backing from the GBP 23-million government-funded research and development (R&D) drive with its concept of a fully automated net positive submarine fleet, powered entirely on green hydrogen.
National Aerospace Lab adopts Dassault solution to design aircraft
- National Aerospace Laboratories (NAL), a part of the Council of Scientific and Industrial Research (CSIR), has adopted Dassault Systemes’ Solution to design civil aircraft in the country.
- The 3DEXPERIENCE platform-based Passenger Experience’ solution has been deployed in designing the cabin and cockpit of the Saras Mk-2 program.
- Saras Mk-2 will be a 19-seater aircraft.
FreightFox: The only Indian startup in 100+ Accelerator Global program
- FreightFox has qualified for the global 2021 cohort of 100+ Accelerators Global program.
- FreightFox is a manufacturing logistics technology start-up.
- The 100+ Accelerator program, launched in 2018, is an accelerator program for start-ups working on the most pressing global sustainability issues.
- The program is curated by Anheuser-Busch InBev, Coca-Cola Company, Unilever, and Colgate.
HCL Tech, HANCOM Inc collaborate to share advanced software technology
- HCL Technologies has signed a pact with South Korean software company HANCOM Inc to share advanced software technology solutions and establish a mutual bridgehead for overseas expansion.
- HCL Technologies would support training for software development at HANCOM’s research and development (R&D) centre in India.
- The two companies also plan to cooperate on the global market expansion.
Infosys partners with SAP to enhance business process efficiencies
- Infosys has announced a strategic collaboration with Systems, Applications & Products in Data Processing (SAP) to provide Business Process Transformation-as-a-Service (BPTaaS) to enterprises.
- The partnership would see Infosys leveraging business process intelligence (BPI) from SAP to identify opportunities and obstacles in the transformation journey and create a roadmap for clients.
New species of Jurassic Era Hybodont Shark discovered in Jaisalmer
- The teeth of new species of Hybodont Shark of Jurassic age have been discovered for the first time from Jaisalmer, Rajasthan.
- Hybodonts was a dominant group of fishes in both marine and fluvial environments during the Triassic and early Jurassic time.
- The newly discovered crushing teeth in Jaisalmer represents a new species named by the research team as ‘Strophodusjaisalmerensis’.
Maharashtra to issue an ordinance for OBC quota in local body bypolls
- The Maharashtra government has decided to bring an ordinance to grant OBC quota in upcoming by-elections to a set of local governing bodies without crossing the Supreme Court-mandated 50 % cap on reservation.
- The reservation will be based on (OBC) population in the constituency where bypolls are scheduled.
- OBCs get 27% reservation in electoral wards of municipal bodies and zilla parishads.
Indian Naval Placement Agency (INPA) and Flipkart sign MoU
- The Indian Naval Placement Agency (INPA) and Flipkart have signed an MoU.
- Through the MoU, the two entities will explore opportunities for the recruitment of naval veterans at the Flipkart Group.
- Flipkart is undertaking a program under its ‘Diversity and Inclusion Charter’ under the aegis of ‘FlipMarch’ that aims to offer ex-servicemen opportunities in line with their qualifications.
NITI Aayog, RMI, and RMI India Launch ‘Shoonya’ Campaign
- NITI Aayog, with RMI (Rocky Mountain Institute) and RMI India’s support, launched Shoonya on 15 September 2021.
- It is an initiative to promote zero-pollution delivery vehicles by working with consumers and industries.
- The campaign aims to accelerate adoption of electric vehicles (EVs) in the urban deliveries segment and create consumer awareness about the benefits of zero-pollution delivery.
Government approves PLI scheme for drones and drone components
- The government has approved the Production-Linked Incentive (PLI) scheme for drones and drone components.
- The total amount allocated for the PLI scheme for drones and drone components is Rs 120 crore spread over three financial years.
- The government has agreed to widen the coverage of the incentive scheme to include developers of drone-related IT products also.
Cabinet approves MoU between India and the Italian Republic
- The Union Cabinet has approved the MoU between the National Disaster Management Authority (NDMA) and the Department of Civil Protection of the Presidency of the Council of Ministers of the Italian Republic.
- It is on cooperation in the field of disaster risk reduction and management.
- The MoU seeks to put in place a system, whereby both sides will benefit from disaster management mechanisms.
Randhir Singh appointed Olympic Council of Asia’s Acting President
- Veteran India sports administrator Randhir Singh has been appointed as Acting President of the Olympic Council of Asia.
- He was appointed after incumbent Sheikh Ahmad Al-Fahad al-Sabah had to step aside.
- Randhir had served as Secretary-General of the OCA for 24 years from 1991 to 2015.
- Randhir, a five-time Olympian shooter, is currently an Honorary Life Vice-President of the OCA.
Brendan Taylor announces retirement from international cricket
- Former Zimbabwe captain and wicketkeeper-batsman Brendan Taylor has announced he will retire from international cricket.
- During his 17-year-long career, he played 34 Tests, 204 ODIs, and 45 T20Is.
- Brendan Taylor made his debut for Zimbabwe in 2004.
- Brendan Taylor has scored 6677 runs in ODIs, 2320 runs in Tests and 934 runs in T20is.
Foreign Minister S. Jaishankar to visit Tajikistan for SCO meet
- Indian Foreign Minister S Jaishankar will visit Tajikistan on 16 September’21 to participate in the regional Shanghai Cooperation Organisation (SCO) meeting.
- Jaishankar will also hold bilateral talks with a number of his counterparts including the Foreign Minister of Iran Hossein Amir Abdollahian.
- PM Narendra Modi will virtually join the summit of heads of state of the SCO on 17 September.
PepsiCo commissions Rs 814 crore food plant in Uttar Pradesh
- Soft drinks and packaged foods company PepsiCo commissioned its greenfield food plant in Mathura in Uttar Pradesh, built at a cost of Rs 814 crore on 15 September 2021.
- The plant has been inaugurated by Uttar Pradesh Chief Minister Yogi Adityanath.
- The food plant is PepsiCo’s largest greenfield investment in manufacturing in India and will be used for making Lay’s potato chips.
Government to sell 10% stake in Hindustan Copper for Rs 1,100 crore
- The Government will sell up to 10% stake in Hindustan Copper Ltd through an offer for sale option in the stock exchanges, that could fetch around Rs 1,121 crore to the exchequer.
- The offer opens on 16 Sep 2021 for non-retail investors at a floor price of Rs.116 per share.
- Hindustan Copper Ltd, a PSU under the administrative control of the Ministry of Mines, was incorporated in November 1967.
President presents National Florence Nightingale awards to 51 awardees
- President Ram Nath Kovind conferred the National Florence Nightingale Awards 2020 to 51 awardees at a virtual ceremony on 15 September 2021.
- Florence Nightingale awards were instituted in the year 1973 by the Government as a mark of recognition for the meritorious services rendered by nurses to society.
- The awardees include Bhanumati Gheewala, Rajila Roy, Bandana Kumari, etc.
MS Dhoni, Anand Mahindra among members in Jay Panda-headed committee
- The Ministry of Defence has constituted a high-level expert committee, under the chairmanship of former MP Baijayant “Jay” Panda.
- It is for a comprehensive review of the National Cadet Corps (NCC) in order to make it more relevant in changed times.
- Former Team India captain MS Dhoni and Mahindra Group Chairman Anand Mahindra are among the members part of the Committee.
Gujarat CM Bhupendra Patel inducts 24 ministers into his cabinet
- Gujarat CM Bhupendra Patel has inducted 24 ministers into his Cabinet.
- Governor Acharya Devvrat administered the oath to 10 cabinet ministers and 14 ministers of state, including five ministers of state with independent charge.
- The following were sworn in as cabinet ministers: Rajendra Trivedi, Jitu Vaghani, Rushikesh Patel, Purnesh Modi, Raghavji Patel, Kanubhai Desai, Kiritsinh Rana, etc.
PM Modi in TIME’s 100 Most Influential People List
- PM Narendra Modi, West Bengal CM Mamata Banerjee and the CEO of the Serum Institute of India (SII) in Pune Adar Poonawalla were listed in the Time magazine’s 100 most influential people.
- US President Joe Biden, US Vice President Kamala Harris, former US President Donald Trump and the Taliban government’s deputy PM Abdul Ghani Baradar of Afghanistan also were among the leaders in the list.
CPI-M Tripura secretary Gautam Das passes away
- Communist Party of India (Marxist) Secretary for Tripura, Gautam Das, succumbed to Covid in September 2021.
- Das joined CPM in 1968, and became the Tripura state committee member in 1986.
- He was elected to the state secretariat in 1994 and became the party secretary in 2018.
- He was one of the founding members of the Agartala Press Club.
Australian fly species named after drag star RuPaul
- Australian entomologists have named a fly species after RuPaul — the titan of drag queens.
- The new species, which is being called RuPaul fly now, is part of a new Australian genus named Opaluma (from the Latin words for opal and thorn) as they look like “little gems buzzing around the forest floor” and have a distinctive thorn tucked under their abdomen.
Low carbon bricks developed using construction and demolition waste
- Researchers have developed a technology to produce energy-efficient walling materials using construction and demolition (C&D) waste and alkali-activated binders.
- These are called low-C bricks, do not require high-temperature firing, and avoid the use of high-energy materials such as Portland cement.
- Scientists of the Indian Institute of Science (IISc) have developed this technology.
Malabar Gold and Diamonds to invest Rs 750 crore in Telangana
- Malabar Gold and Diamonds will be establishing a gold and diamond jewellery manufacturing unit along with a refinery in Telangana with an estimated investment of Rs 750 crore.
- This new investment will create employment for about 2,500 people in the state.
- The Malabar Group already has 260 jewellery stores across the globe.
India’s largest floating solar PV plant commissioned in Andhra Pradesh
- Bharat Heavy Electricals Limited (BHEL) has successfully commissioned India’s largest floating solar photovoltaic (PV) plant.
- Located at NTPC Simhadri in Andhra Pradesh, the 25 MW floating SPV project covers an area of 100 acres.
- Besides producing clean power, the project will also reduce water evaporation by providing shade to the covered area.
Avigna to invest ₹500 cr- ₹600 cr in Karnataka warehousing project
- Avigna Industrial & Logistics Park has launched a 4 million sq. ft warehousing facility in Hoskote, Karnataka, and will invest ₹500 crore- ₹600 crores.
- Avigna plans to hand over the first million sq. ft at the Hoskote Industrial Park in 2022-23.
- The project is a part of Avigna’s ₹2,000 crore expansion plan to have a footprint of 10 million sq. ft warehouse space over the next three years.