Top Current Affairs of the day: Instantly obtain Latest Current Affairs with all essential info, Be the first to know all the Today Current affairs 16th October 2021 top news, Major Issues, Current News, Important events in National Current News as well as International level with clear explanation. For all competitive exams and Interviews, equip yourself with the Latest Current Affairs on 16th October 2021 granted here.
Top Current Affairs
World Spine Day: 16 October
- World Spine Day is marked on October 16 each year.
- It aims to create awareness about the burden of spinal pain and disability around the world.
- The World Federation of Chiropractic has been coordinating World Spine Day in collaboration with organizations across the world since 2012.
- The World Spine Day theme for 2021 will be ‘BACK 2 BACK!’
World Anaesthesia Day: 16 October
- World Anaesthesia Day is observed every year on 16 October by the World Federation of Societies of Anaesthesiologists (WFSA).
- It marks the first successful demonstration of diethyl ether anaesthesia in 1846.
- It is one of the most significant events in the history of medicine.
- Anaesthesia is a state of controlled, temporary loss of sensation or awareness that is induced for medical purposes.
World Food Day: 16 October
- World Food Day is celebrated across the globe on October 16 every year.
- The day marks the anniversary of the founding of the Food and Agriculture Organisation (FAO) of the United Nations.
- The day aims at tackling global hunger and striving to eradicate hunger across the world.
- The theme for the year 2021 is “Safe Food Now For A Healthier Tomorrow”.
APJ Abdul Kalam Prerana Sthal inaugurated at NSTL of DRDO
- ‘Dr. APJ Abdul Kalam Prerana Sthal’ was inaugurated at Naval Science and Technological Laboratory (NSTL), Visakhapatnam on October 15, 2021.
- It was inaugurated on the occasion of 90th birth anniversary of Bharat Ratna Dr. APJ Abdul Kalam, former President of India.
- A statue of Dr. Kalam was also unveiled by Dr. Samir V Kamat, Director General (Naval Systems & Materials), DRDO.
MS Dhoni becomes first in world cricket to captain in 300 T20 games
- Mahendra Singh Dhoni on 15 October 2021, became the first player in world cricket to captain a team in 300 T20 games.
- He achieved the feat during the Indian Premier League (IPL) 2021 final between Chennai Super Kings (CSK) and Kolkata Kight Riders (KKR) in Dubai, UAE.
- Second on the list is Darren Sammy, who has led a team in 208 games for West Indies and various franchises.
Pankaj Kumar appointed as Karnataka Bank Non-Executive Chairman
- Reserve Bank of India (RBI) has approved the appointment of Pankaj Kumar Panja as part-time Chairman of Karnataka Bank.
- The appointment will come into effect from November 14, 2021, and will be for a period of three years.
- He retired as Managing Director (Corporate Banking) of the State Bank of India (SBI).
- Pankaj Kumar Panja earlier served as Managing Director of State Bank of Travancore.
India needs 5630 GW installed solar capacity to become the net-zero nation
- India should increase its solar power capacity to 5630 GW in order to become a net-zero emissions nation by 2070, as per a study.
- At present, India has 100 GW of installed renewable energy capacity, as per the study released by the Council on Energy, Environment and Water.
- The study is titled ‘Implications of a Net-zero Target for India’s Sectoral Energy Transitions and Climate Policy’.
Chennai Super Kings win Indian Premier League 2021
- Chennai Super Kings beat Kolkata Knight Riders by 27 runs in the 14th Indian Premier League 2021 final to win their fourth title.
- The final match was held in Dubai on 15 October 2021.
- The team had last won the title in the year 2010, 2011, and 2018.
- Harshal Patel from Royal Challengers Bangalore has received Purple Cap.
- Ruturaj Gaikwad of Chennai Super Kings has won Orange Cap.
Varanasi: 1st to use ropeway services for public transportation
- India will be the third country in the world after Bolivia and Mexico City, to have a ropeway for public transport.
- The city of Varanasi will soon become the first Indian city to use ropeway services in public transportation.
- The ropeway service will cover a distance of 4.2 km aerially in the city of Varanasi.
- Nearly, 220 cable cars will run on the ropeway.
Indian Army team wins gold medal in Exercise Cambrian Patrol
- A team from 4/5 Gorkha Rifles (Frontier Force) which represented the Indian Army at the prestigious Cambrian Patrol Exercise at Brecon, Wales, UK from 13th to 15th October 2021 has been awarded a Gold medal.
- Ex Cambrian Patrol is sometimes referred to as the Olympics of Military Patrolling among militaries in the world.
- The Indian Army team competed against a total of 96 teams.
India introduces a draft resolution in UN General Assembly
- India has introduced a draft resolution in United Nations General Assembly (UNGA), for granting Observer Status to International Solar Alliance (ISA).
- This was informed by India’s Permanent Representative to the United Nations TS Tirumurti on 15 October 2021.
- ISA was launched by PM Narendra Modi in Paris in 2015.
- It aims to contribute to the implementation of the Paris Climate Agreement.
DGCA suspends SpiceJet’s licence to carry dangerous goods for 30 days
- Directorate General of Civil Aviation has temporarily suspended SpiceJet’s licence for the transportation of ‘dangerous goods’ for alleged violations.
- The suspension is for 30 days, and during this period, SpiceJet will not be allowed to carry dangerous goods, including lithium-ion batteries, on its domestic as well as international flights.
Foundation stone laid for National Forensic Science University
- Union Home Minister Amit Shah laid the foundation stone for the National Forensic Science University (NFSU) in Goa on 14 October 2021.
- He announced that 5 courses accommodating 200 students will be soon started in the University.
- He also urged NFSU to commence courses related to tourism, drug and narcotics, and coastal policing.
37th Raising Day of the National Security Guard: 16 October
- 16 October 2021 marked the 37th Raising Day of the National Security Guard (NSG).
- NSG is popularly known as Black Cats.
- It was established in 1984 after the Union Cabinet decided to create a “Federal Contingency Force” that was “well trained to tackle the various manifestations of terrorism.”
- The force is intended to be deployed in exceptional circumstances only.
Saurashtra cricket player Avi Barot passes away
- Saurashtra batter Avi Barot, a former India Under-19 captain and a member of the Ranji Trophy-winning team in the 2019-20 season, passed away in October 2021.
- The player also represented Haryana and Gujarat in his career.
- Barot played 38 first-class matches, 38 List A matches and 20 Domestic T20 games.
- He scored 1,547 runs in first-class matches, 1,030 runs in list-A games and 717 in T20s.
China’s Shenzhou-13 spacecraft docks for a 6-month mission
- China’s Shenzhou-13 spacecraft carrying three Chinese astronauts docked at its space station on 16 October 2021, kicking off a record-setting six-month stay.
- The spacecraft was launched by a Long March-2F rocket.
- The three astronauts are the second crew to move into the space station, which was launched in April 2021.
- The first crew stayed three months.
Rahul Dravid is all set to take over as full-time coach of Indian cricket
- Rahul Dravid is all set to take over as the national cricket team’s head coach following the T20 World Cup in the U.A.E.
- He has been in charge of the India A and U-19 set-up for the past six years and a lot of players such as Rishabh Pant, Avesh Khan, Prithvi Shaw, and Shubman Gill have come through the system prepared by him.
- Dravid is currently the head of the National Cricket Academy.
Centre notifies new rules allowing abortion till 24 weeks of pregnancy
- The gestational limit for termination of a pregnancy in India has been increased from 20 to 24 weeks for some categories of women.
- Under the Medical Termination of Pregnancy (Amendment) Rules, 2021, the limit is for survivors of sexual assault, rape or incest, minors, those whose marital status changes during pregnancy (widowhood and divorce), and those with physical disabilities.
AIIMS launches ‘dental hygiene app’ for children
- The Department of Pediatric and Preventive Dentistry at AIIMS has launched a dental health education app for children to help them develop good oral health practices.
- The “Healthy Smile” app is a bilingual app developed through the AIIMS intermural research grant.
- It has features such as a musical 2-minute brushing timer with “motivational songs”, brushing demonstration videos, etc.
Haryana government to set up heli-hub in Gurugram
- The Haryana government has identified a spot in Gurugram for establishing a heli hub.
- A proposal in this regard will soon be sent to the central government.
- The state government has also decided to reduce the VAT rates on air turbine fuel from 20% to 1%.
- As a result of the setting up of a heli-hub, the airport will also get support due to the facility of intercity and intracity helicopters.
European Union launches first green bond in October 2021
- The European Union issued the first NextGenerationEU green bond in October 2021.
- It raised 12 billion euros (13.8 billion U.S. dollars) to be allocated exclusively to green and sustainable investments across the European Union (EU).
- This was the largest green bond orderbook ever in global capital markets and the EU is set to become the world’s largest green bond issuer by far.
Tamil Nadu set to be 1st state to give kids Covid-19 vaccine
- Tamil Nadu is set to become the first in the country to administer Covid-19 vaccines to those aged 2-18 years.
- An expert panel of the Central drug authority has recommended granting emergency use authorisation to Bharat Biotech’s Covaxin for children and adolescents in the 2 to 18 years age group.
- Tamil Nadu was also the first in inoculating pregnant women.
Hunar Haat to be organised in Rampur, UP from 16-25 October 2021
- Hunar Haat will be organized in Rampur, Uttar Pradesh from 16th to 25th October 2021.
- It will be based on the theme of “Best from Waste”.
- It will be organized as a part of series of 75 Hunar Haat going to be organized across the country under Azadi Ka Amrit Mahotsav.
- Vishwakarma Vatika will be one of the main attractions in Hunar Haat to be organized across the country.