Top Current Affairs of the day: Instantly obtain Latest Current Affairs with all essential info, Be the first to know all the Today Current affairs 16th November 2021 top news, Major Issues, Current News, Important events in National Current News as well as International level with clear explanation. For all competitive exams and Interviews, equip yourself with the Latest Current Affairs on 16th November 2021 granted here.
Top Current Affairs
National Press Day: 16 November
- National Press Day is observed on November 16th every year to acknowledge and honour the Press Council of India, a statutory and quasi-judicial establishment.
- The Press Council of India was instituted on November 16, 1966, to monitor the quality of reportage provided by the Indian press.
- Press Council of India organized a seminar on “Who is Not Afraid of Media” to mark the occasion.
International Day for Tolerance: 16 November
- 16 Nov is observed as International Day for Tolerance annually.
- It aims to build tolerance among the cultures and people.
- It is being celebrated ever since the UN marked the year of Tolerance in 1995.
- 16 Nov was chosen as it is the anniversary of UNESCO’s Declaration of Principles on Tolerance.
- UNESCO has also created the Madanjeet Singh Prize for the Promotion of Tolerance and Non-Violence.
Ekushey Padak awardee, writer Hasan Azizul Haque passes away
- Acclaimed short-story writer and literary figure of Bangladesh Hasan Azizul Haque passed away in November 2021.
- Hasan Azizul Haque received the Ekushey Padak in 1999 and the country’s top civilian honour Independence award in 2019.
- He also received literary awards like the Bangla Academy award, Adamjee Sahitya Puraskar, and Ananda Sahitya Puraskar in 2018 in Kolkata for his novel Agunpakhi.
PM Modi inaugurates Purvanchal Expressway in Uttar Pradesh
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi visited Uttar Pradesh on 16 Nov’21, to inaugurate Purvanchal Expressway at Karwal Kheri in Sultanpur district.
- After the inauguration, he also attended an airshow by the Indian Air Force on the 3.2 km long airstrip constructed on the Expressway.
- The Purvanchal Expressway measures 341 km in length.
- It starts from Chaudsarai village and ends at village Hydaria.
LINAC-NCDC Fisheries Business Incubation Centre launched in Haryana
- Union Minister of Fisheries, Animal Husbandry and Dairying Parshottam Rupala launched the “LINAC-NCDC Fisheries Business Incubation Centre” (LIFIC) on November 16, 2021, in Haryana.
- Services of the Centre will help augment the development of the fisheries business in India.
- LIFIC is being started by the National Cooperative Development Corporation (NCDC).
India’s first Food Security Museum opens in Thanjavur
- Union Minister for Commerce, Industry, Food, and Public Distribution Piyush Goyal on 15 Nov’21 virtually launched India’s first Food Security Museum in Thanjavur, Tamil Nadu.
- The museum showcases India’s Agri revolution from dependency to self-sufficiency.
- It is the first to depict India’s food security journey from “ship to mouth” to being one of the world’s largest food grain exporters.
Mukhtar Abbas Naqvi Inaugurates 33rd Edition Of “Hunar Haat at Delhi
- Union Minister for Minority Affairs Mukhtar Abbas Naqvi has inaugurated the 33rd edition of “Hunar Haat”.
- It is being held from 14-27 November 2021 at India International Trade Fair, Pragati Maidan, New Delhi.
- The next Hunar Haats will be organized at Hyderabad (26 November to 5 December), Surat (10 to 19 December), JLN Stadium, New Delhi (22 December 2021 to 2 January 2022).
India and ADB sign $61 million loan for Agartala
- The Indian govt and Asian Development Bank (ADB) signed a $61 mn loan in Nov’21.
- It has been signed to improve livability, harness technology, and promote new developments to accommodate the expanding population in Agartala, Tripura.
- The project will be called Agartala City Urban Development Project.
- The project will build and upgrade 48 kilometres of new or existing stormwater drainage.
India, Singapore, Thailand begin trilateral exercise SITMEX-21
- INS Karmuk is participating in the 3rd edition of India, Singapore, and Thailand Trilateral Maritime Exercise SITMEX – 21, from 15-16 Nov’21 in the Andaman Sea.
- It is being conducted annually since 2019 with an aim to enhance mutual inter-operability.
- The first SITMEX was hosted by the Indian Navy off Port Blair in September 2019.
- The Republic of Singapore Navy hosted the 2nd edition in Nov’20.
Final of M.P. Cup Polo Championship organized by Ministry of Culture
- The Ministry of Culture organized the final match of the M.P. Cup Polo Championship – Sir Pratap Singh Cup 2021, on 14 November 2021 at Jaipur Polo Grounds, New Delhi.
- Team Vimal Arion Achievers won the match by 11-8.
- Sir Pratap Singh Cup is one of India’s most historic and premier tournaments, which was instituted in 1921.
- It was completed exactly 100 years after the completion of this event.
A three-day festival ‘Kashi Utsav’ being held from 16-18 November 2021
- Kashi Utsav, a three-day festival is being organised in Varanasi from 16-18 Nov’21 to celebrate the classic heritage and culture of Kashi.
- A theme has been dedicated to each day of the festival and these are: ‘Kashi ke Hastakshar’; ‘Kabir, Raidas ki Bani aur Nirgun Kashi’ and ‘Kavita aur Kahani – Kashi ki Zubani’.
- IGNCA (Indira Gandhi National Centre for the Arts) is hosting the programme.
Md. bin Zayed receives Minister of Armed Forces of the French Republic
- Sheikh Mohamed bin Zayed Al Nahyan, Crown Prince of Abu Dhabi and Deputy Supreme Commander of the UAE Armed Forces, on 14 November 2021, received Florence Parly, Minister of the Armed Forces of the French Republic.
- The meeting was held as a joint military exercise between the UAE and France concluded in Ras Al Khaimah.
- The drill got underway on 24 October 2021.
75th anniversary of UNESCO: 16 November 2021
- 16 November 2021 marked the 75th anniversary of UNESCO (United Nations Educational, Scientific, and Cultural Organization).
- UNESCO came into existence in 1945 in London, UK.
- It is headquartered in Paris, France.
- The main objective of UNESCO is to contribute to peace and security in the world by promoting collaboration among nations through education, science, culture.
India gets first ‘Grass Conservatory’ in Uttarakhand’s Almora district
- India’s first grass conservation centre has been set up at the Kalika Forest Research Center of Ranikhet in Uttarakhand.
- About 90 species of grass are been grown at the centre which has scientific, ecological, medicinal, and cultural importance.
- The grass is the most economically important of all flowering plants because of its nutritious grain and soil-forming function.
IB, home, RAW, defence officers’ tenure can be extended for 2 years
- The Central government has approved extending the tenure of Defence Secretary, Home Secretary, Director of Intelligence Bureau (IB), Secretary of Research and Analysis Wing (RAW) for the period of two years.
- In 2005, the Union Cabinet had cleared a fixed tenure of two years for Defence Secretary, Home Secretary and Chiefs of Intelligence Bureau and RAW.
RBI introduces internal ombudsman mechanism for select-NBFCs
- The Reserve Bank of India (RBI) on 15 November 2021 introduced an internal Ombudsman mechanism for select Non-Banking Financial Companies (NBFCs).
- Deposit-taking NBFCs with 10 or more branches and non-deposit-taking NBFCs with assets size of ₹5,000 crores must appoint an Internal Ombudsman (IO).
- The RBI has given six months time to follow the directions.
First Audit Diwas celebrated on 16 November 2021
- First Audit Diwas will be observed at the Comptroller and Auditor General of India (CAG) office premises, on 16 Nov 2021.
- PM Narendra Modi will address the event.
- Audit Diwas will be celebrated to mark the historic origins of the institution of CAG and the contribution it has made to governance, transparency, and accountability.
India launches 41st scientific expedition to Antarctica
- India on 15 November 2021 launched the 41st scientific expedition to Antarctica.
- The 41st expedition has two major programs.
- The first program encompasses geological exploration of the Amery ice shelf at Bharati station.
- The second program involves reconnaissance surveys and preparatory work for drilling of 500 meters of ice core near Maitri.
- The Indian Antarctic program began in 1981.
Pakistan bowler Usman Shinwari announces retirement from Test cricket
- Pakistan pacer Usman Khan Shinwari on 16 November 2021 announced his retirement from test cricket to prolong his cricket career
- Shinwari has played 17 ODIs and just one Test for Pakistan.
- He last played for Pakistan in his only Test in December 2019.
- The Pakistan pacer made his debut in December 2013 in the shortest format but had to wait for four years to play his first ODI.
18-year-old V Varatharajan wins ‘Thooya Tamizh Patralar’ award
- The Thooya Tamizh Patralar award, instituted by the Tamil Nadu government, has been conferred on V Varatharajan, an 18-year old student from Melur.
- The award was instituted to honour those who use pure Tamil in daily life.
- The award carries a cash prize of Rs 20,000.
- After applying for the award, an interview is conducted over call without letting the person know who they are speaking with.
Nirogi Rajasthan Chiranjeevi camps begin on 14 November 2021
- Rajasthan health department launched Nirogi Rajasthan Chiranjeevi camps from 14 November 2021.
- Under the camps, facilities from medicine, diagnosis, treatment, and screening for non-communicable diseases will be done.
- The camp was launched by Health Minister Raghu Sharma who also laid foundation stones and inaugurated various other things at Ajmer, Udaipur, and Bikaner medical colleges.
China overtakes the US to grab the top spot in the list of richest countries
- Global wealth tripled over the last two decades, with China leading the way and overtaking the US for the top spot worldwide.
- This was stated in a new report by the research arm of consultants McKinsey & Co. that examines the national balance sheets of ten countries.
- Net worth worldwide rose to $514 trn in 2020, from $156 trn in 2000.
- China accounted for almost one-third of the increase.
UN appoints Shombi Sharp as Resident Coordinator in India
- The United Nations has appointed Shombi Sharp, a sustainable development expert from the US as its Resident Coordinator in India.
- Within the world organization, he most recently served as United Nations Resident Coordinator in Armenia.
- Prior to joining the United Nations, he began his career in development with the international non-profit CARE International in Zimbabwe.
Wholesale inflation in October 2021 at a five-month high of 12.54%
- Wholesale inflation climbed to a 5-month high of 12.54% in Oct 2021 on the back of a rise in prices of fuel and power, vegetable oils, and chemicals, according to the official data released by the Commerce and Industry Ministry.
- This is the 7th consecutive month in which wholesale inflation has stayed in double digits.
- Wholesale fuel and power inflation accelerated to 37.18% in Oct 2021.