Top Current Affairs of the day: Instantly obtain Latest Current Affairs with all essential info, Be the first to know all the Today Current affairs 15th September 2021 top news, Major Issues, Current News, Important events in National Current News as well as International level with clear explanation. For all competitive exams and Interviews, equip yourself with the Latest Current Affairs on 15th September 2021 granted here.
Top Current Affairs
International Day of Democracy: 15 September
- The International Day of Democracy is observed every year on September 15, with the purpose of promoting and upholding the principles of democracy.
- It provides an opportunity to review the state of democracy in the world.
- The day was established through a resolution passed by the UN General Assembly in 2007, encouraging governments to strengthen and consolidate democracy.
Engineers’ Day: 15 September
- Bharat Ratna Mokshagundam Visvesvaraya’s birthday on September 15 is celebrated as Engineers’ Day in India.
- Sir M Visvesvaraya contributed significantly to the field of engineering and education.
- Sir M Visvesvaraya received the Bharat Ratna in 1955 and was also conferred the British knighthood.
- He served as Diwan of Mysore from 1912 to 1918.
Om Birla chairs 81st All India Presiding Officers Conference
- Lok Sabha Speaker Om Birla chaired the 81st All India Presiding Officers’ Conference (AIPOC) via video-conferencing on 15 September 2021.
- The conference deliberated on the ‘Role of Legislature in fostering effective and meaningful democracy’.
- The previous session of the AIPOC, the 80th conference, was held over two days on November 25-26, 2020.
An MoU was signed between Homeopathy and American Herbal Pharmacopoeia
- An MoU has been signed between the Pharmacopoeia Commission for Indian Medicine and Homoeopathy and the American Herbal Pharmacopoeia, USA, on September 13, 2021.
- The MoU is aimed at strengthening the promotion and development of standards in the field of Ayurveda and other Indian Traditional systems of medicine between the two countries on the basis of equality and mutual benefit.
NIOS bags UNESCO Literacy Prize for Innovation in Education
- The National Institute of Open Schooling (NIOS) of India has won the prestigious King Sejong Literacy Prize 2021 of UNESCO International Literacy Prizes.
- The award was granted for enabling the education of persons with disabilities through technology-enabled inclusive learning materials, with a specific focus on Indian Sign language-based content.
Coca-Cola India appoints Sonali Khanna as Vice President
- Coca-Cola announced the appointment of Sonali Khanna as Vice President and General Counsel for Coca-Cola India and southwest Asia.
- Sonali would succeed Anjuli Kelotra, current Vice President.
- Coca-Cola in India is one of the country’s leading beverage companies, offering a range of healthy, safe, high-quality, refreshing beverage options to consumers.
Sarbananda Sonowal addresses LEADS 2021 ASEAN Session
- Minister of Ports, Shipping and Waterways, Sarbananda Sonowal on 14 September 2021 addressed the LEADS 2021 ASEAN Session on India- ASEAN Connectivity Partnerships, organized by FICCI.
- LEADS is curated as a strategic platform for global leaders from Asia, Europe, Africa, the Americas and the Pacific to deliberate on the tenets of Leadership, economic Excellence, and Adaptability to change.
PNB and Union Bank of India receive ‘Rajbhasha Kirti Puraskar’
- Public sector banks, including Punjab National Bank (PNB) and Union Bank of India, on 14 September 2021 received awards from Home Minister Amit Shah for promoting the official language Hindi.
- PNB and Union Bank of India received ‘Rajbhasha Kirti Puraskar’ for 2020-21 in different categories.
- This is the fourth time in a row that PNB bank has received the first prize.
Global capability centres in India to grow to over 1,900 by 2025
- The number of global capability centres (GCCs) in the country is expected to grow at a compound annual growth rate of 6-7 per cent to over 1,900 by 2025, according to a report titled ‘GCC India Landscape: 2021 and Beyond!’.
- The report has been compiled by IT industry bodies Nasscom and Zinnov.
- GCCs are captive centres that handle certain operations and IT support to enhance productivity.
Assam govt to set up innovation fund with SIDBI to promote start-ups
- The Small Industries Development Bank of India (SIDBI) has agreed to set up an innovation fund in partnership with the Assam government to promote start-ups.
- It would support and promote self-help groups to the enterprise level and bring them into the formal sector of the economy.
- Efforts would also be taken to create clusters to promote ‘one district-one-product initiative’.
I&B Ministry launches account on Telegram for fact-checking
- The Union Information and Broadcasting Ministry on 14 September 2021 launched its account on the social media platform Telegram to counter fake news.
- It was launched as ‘PIB Fact Check’, which aims to verify information related to the Centre and disseminate it to its subscribers.
- PIB Fact Check is the only central government fact-checking arm, which was established in November 2019.
Union Minister V. Muraleedharan addresses IAAFP summit 2021
- Minister of State for External Affairs V. Muraleedharan addressed the First India-Africa Agriculture and Food Processing (IAAFP) Summit organized by the Confederation of Indian Industry.
- India has also entered into agreements with Malawi and Mozambique for imports of pulses to meet growing domestic demands.
- India is the fourth largest trading partner and fifth-largest investor in Africa.
United Nation Development Programme releases a new report
- The report, A multi-billion-dollar opportunity: Repurposing agricultural support to transform food systems, was launched by the UN Development Programme, the Food and Agriculture Organisation, and the UN Environment Programme.
- According to the report, around 87% of the total annual government support given worldwide to agri-producers includes measures that can be harmful to nature and health.
J-K LG inaugurates digital banking and agricultural training programs
- The Lieutenant Governor of the Jammu & Kashmir, Manoj Sinha on 14 September 2021 inaugurated three digital banking and agricultural training programs.
- The programs are Digipay Sakhis, Krishi Sakhis, and Pashu Sakhis.
- The Digipay program would provide door-to-door banking services to the people living in rural areas.
- The Pashu Sakhi would impart training about the vaccination of livestock.
Agriculture Ministry signs 5 MoUs with private companies
- Agriculture Minister Narendra Singh Tomar has signed five MOUs with private companies for taking forward Digital Agriculture.
- The companies include CISCO, Ninjacart, Jio Platform Limited, ITC Limited, and NCDEX e-markets Limited.
- A Digital Agriculture mission has been initiated for 2021-2025 by the government for projects based on technologies like blockchain, use of drones and robots etc.
A national meet on SVAMITVA Scheme inaugurated on 14 September
- Union Minister for Panchayati Raj and Rural Development Giriraj Singh inaugurated a national meet on SVAMITVA Scheme: A Stepping-Stone Towards Upliftment of Rural Economy on 14 Sept 2021 in Delhi.
- The Minister also launched the dashboard (https://svamitva.nic.in/) for monitoring the implementation of the scheme.
- The scheme was launched by the PM on National Panchayati Raj Day, 24 April 2020.
Paytm gets approval to expand ESOP pool
- One97 Communications Ltd (OCL), which owns Paytm, has received shareholder approval to expand its employee stock ownership plan (ESOP) pool.
- With the required approvals, Paytm will be increasing its ESOP pool by more than two fold from 24,094,280 equity options to 61,094,280 options.
- Paytm has a total paid-up share capital of 605,930,140 shares at a face value of ₹1 each.
‘Human Rights And Terrorism In India’ by Subramanian Swamy
- Subramanian Swamy has come out with a book ‘Human Rights and Terrorism in India’.
- It traces how the combating of terrorism can be harmonised with human and fundamental rights within reasonable restrictions that is permitted by the Constitution and upheld by the Supreme Court.
- It is the thesis of this study that to deter terror, India as a nation must foster a concept of identity.
Lasith Malinga announces retirement from all forms of cricket
- Sri Lanka pace veteran Lasith Malinga has announced his retirement from all forms of cricket.
- He was the captain of Sri Lanka’s 2014 T20 World Cup-winning team.
- Malinga had retired from Test and ODI cricket in January 2021 but was yet to retire from T20 internationals.
- He picked up 107 wickets in 84 T20 Internationals, 338 scalps in 226 ODIs, and 101 wickets in 30 Tests.
India, UK aim to launch FTA negotiations by November 1, 2021
- India and the United Kingdom plan to launch negotiations on a trade deal between the two nations by 1 November 2021.
- Both nations are looking at an interim trade deal by March 2022, which will be followed by a comprehensive FTA (free trade agreement).
- The interim deal will involve early concessions on certain key high-priority products and services related to tariffs or market access.
Google fined $177 million in South Korea
- South Korea has fined Alphabet Inc.’s Google around $177 million for obstructing other companies from developing rival versions of the Android operating system.
- Under the new order, Google can no longer force device manufacturers to sign anti-fragmentation agreements.
- By blocking modified versions of Android, Google crowded out potential competitors.
Tata Power to set up 3 MW solar rooftop project at Tata Motors plant
- Tata Motors has inked a solar power purchase agreement with Tata Power to set up and run a 3 megawatt (MW) solar rooftop project at its passenger vehicle plant in Pune.
- The project is expected to generate nearly 45 lakh KWh per year, reducing carbon emissions by approximately 3,538 tonnes per year.
- Tata Power has an installed operational portfolio of 12.811 gigawatts (GW).
India’s merchandise exports up 46% y-o-y in August to $33.28 billion
- India’s merchandise exports rose nearly 46% to $33.28 billion in August 2021.
- The data was presented by the Ministry of Commerce and Industry.
- India, Asia’s third-largest economy imported goods worth $47.09 billion in August, a rise of 51.72% year-on-year.
- As compared to August 2019, exports in August 2021 exhibited a positive growth of 28.03% in Dollar terms and 33.50% in Rupee terms.
RBI fines Kuppam Co-operative Town Bank ₹5 lakh
- Reserve Bank of India (RBI) has fined The Kuppam Co-operative Town Bank, based in Chittoor district of Andhra Pradesh ₹5 lakh.
- This penalty has been imposed in exercise of powers vested in RBI under the provisions of Section 47 A (1) (c) read with Section 46 (4) (i) and Section 56 of the Banking Regulation Act, 1949.
- RBI has also imposed monetary penalty of ₹2.44 lakh on Spice Money Limited.
SpaceX to send 1st all-civilian crew into orbit for 3 days
- SpaceX is all set to launch four people into space on 15 September 2021.
- Inspiration4 will be a three-day mission and it will be the first mission to orbit the Earth with only private citizens on board.
- The SpaceX flight has been chartered by Jared Isaacman an American billionaire.
- He is the founder and CEO of payment processing company Shift4 Payment.
Microsoft launches talent programme to skill 1.5 lakh Indian youths
- Microsoft India has launched the Future Ready Talent programme, bringing together a strategic group of partners to empower India’s youth with technology skills for employability.
- It is a collaborative internship programme for students in their second year of college and upwards.
- It aims to impact over 1.5 lakh higher education students who will join the workforce between 2022 and 2024.
DGCA, EASA partner for safety, environment protection standards
- Aviation regulators European Union Aviation Safety Agency (EASA) and the Directorate General of Civil Aviation (DGCA) have entered into a working arrangement to achieve common safety and environmental protection standards.
- Through the agreement, the aviation regulators of India and Europe hope to reduce the economic burden imposed on the aviation industry.
India participates in ‘Peaceful Mission’ military exercise in Russia
- The 6th edition of Exercise Peaceful Mission is being hosted by Russia in the Orenburg Region of southwest Russia from 13-25 Sept 2021.
- It is a multilateral exercise that is conducted biennially as part of military diplomacy between Shanghai Cooperation Organisation member states.
- The Indian military contingent comprising of an all arms combined force of 200 personnel is participating.
Telangana government formed a panel to review the performance of Metro
- The Telangana government has formed a high-level committee to bail out the Hyderabad Metro Rail, which has been incurring heavy losses due to the Covid-19 pandemic.
- The committee members include: Municipal Administration Minister KT Rama Rao and R&B Minister Vemula Prashanth Reddy, among other senior officials.
- Hyderabad metro rail’s revenues in the FY 2020-21 stood at ₹228 crores.
HSBC launches solution for cross-border transactions- UniTransact
- HSBC India has launched HSBC UniTransact, a digital proposition aimed at simplifying cross-border transactions.
- The offering is a one-stop solution, bringing clients the benefit of seamless integration of all aspects of transaction banking.
- It enables end-to-end visibility of these transactions to clients and also addresses the challenges of having to deal with multiple touch points.
Centre approves Rs 26,058-crore PLI scheme for the auto sector
- The union cabinet has approved a production-linked incentive (PLI) scheme for the automobile sector.
- It has also approved a relief package for the cash-strapped telecoms sector.
- Union Cabinet considered a moratorium on payment of spectrum dues by telecom firms as part of a package for the sector aimed at giving relief to companies such as Vodafone Idea.
IAF to hold air shows over Srinagar’s Dal Lake on September 26
- The Indian Air Force will hold an air show over the famous Dal Lake of Srinagar on Sept 26, 2021.
- It will help motivate the youth of Jammu and Kashmir to join the IAF.
- More than 3,000 schoolchildren and college students will attend the show.
- The theme of the show is ‘Give Wings to Your Dreams’.
- Students will be familiarised with the achievements of the IAF, employment opportunities, etc.
Kerala govt announces comprehensive Caravan Tourism Policy
- Kerala has announced a comprehensive, stakeholder-friendly Caravan Tourism Policy.
- It promises the visitors safe, customized and closest-to-nature travel experience.
- The two major components of this activity are Tourism Caravans and Caravan Parks.
- There will be two types of caravans.
- In one model, two guests shall be accommodated, while the other is for a family of four members.
Meghalaya panel to study the impact of coke units
- The Meghalaya govt has decided to form an expert panel to comprehensively study the impact of coke factories.
- The decision follows a string of protests by the people of Sutnga in East Jaintia Hills district against polluting coke units, many of which are illegal.
- The committee will recommend environmental safeguards, besides addressing public health issues and pollution load study.
India to hold first Global Buddhist Conference in November
- India will be holding its first-ever Global Buddhist Conference in November 2021.
- The event is being planned by the Indian Council for Cultural Relations (ICCR) from November 19 to 20 at Nava Nalanda Mahavihara campus in Nalanda, Bihar.
- The conference will be organized under the overall framework of the flagship event of the Ministry of Tourism.
RBI announces the third cohort under regulatory sandbox
- The Reserve Bank of India has announced the opening of the third cohort of regulatory sandbox with its theme as MSME lending.
- The application for the third cohort may be submitted from 1 Oct- 14 Nov 2021.
- Regulatory sandbox refers to live testing of new products or services in a controlled/regulatory environment for which regulators may or may not pertain to certain regulatory relaxations.
Lt Gen Gurmit Singh sworn in as Governor of Uttarakhand
- Lt Gen (Retd) Gurmit Singh was sworn in 15 Sept 2021 as the new Governor of Uttarakhand.
- The oath of office was administered to Singh by the Chief Justice of the Uttarakhand High Court Justice RS Chauhan.
- Singh, who retired as the Deputy Chief of the Indian Army, is a highly decorated former Army officer.
- He succeeds Baby Rani Maurya, who resigned three years before completing her tenure.
World Lymphoma Awareness Day: 15 September
- World Lymphoma Awareness Day (WLAD) is observed on September 15 every year.
- The day is dedicated to raising awareness of lymphoma, an increasingly common form of cancer.
- It is a global initiative hosted by the Lymphoma Coalition.
- WLAD was initiated first in 2004.
- Around the world, more than 735,000 people are diagnosed with lymphoma every year.
Gopal Mukherjee appointed as Advocate General of West Bengal
- The West Bengal Government ohas appointed Gopal Mukherjee as the Advocate General.
- Mukherjee is the Senior Advocate of High Court at Calcutta and will hold office “during the pleasure of the Governor”.
- Kishore Datta who was representing the state government in important cases including post-poll violence and Narada Scam has resigned citing personal reasons.
IIT-Bombay launches ‘Project Udaan’
- IIT-Bombay has launched ‘Project Udaan’.
- It enables the translation of textbooks and other study material related to engineering and other streams.
- The aim is to break the language barrier that many students face when they join institutes of higher education.
- The project was envisaged by Prof. Ganesh Ramakrishnan, Institute Chair Professor, Department of Computer Science and Engineering.
7th Foreign Office Consultations between India and Chile held
- The 7th Foreign Office Consultations between India and Chile were held in Santiago on 14 September’21.
- The Indian side was led by Secretary in Ministry of External Affairs Riva Ganguly Das and the Chilean side was led by Vice-Minister of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of Chile Ms Carolina Valdivia Torres.
- Both sides agreed to hold the next round of Foreign Office Consultations in New Delhi.