Top Current Affairs of the day: Instantly obtain Latest Current Affairs with all essential info, Be the first to know all the Today Current affairs 12th October 2021 top news, Major Issues, Current News, Important events in National Current News as well as International level with clear explanation. For all competitive exams and Interviews, equip yourself with the Latest Current Affairs on 12th October 2021 granted here.
Top Current Affairs
World Arthritis Day: 12 October
- World Arthritis Day is celebrated every year on October 12.
- The aim is to spread awareness about the existence and impact of rheumatic and musculoskeletal diseases.
- Arthritis can cause swelling in or around a joint, resulting in pain, stiffness, and sometimes difficulty moving.
- It was first observed in 1996 and the theme for 2021 is ‘Don’t Delay, Connect Today: Time2Work’.
APEDA signs MoU with ICAR-Central Citrus Research Institute, Nagpur
- The Agricultural and Processed Food Products Export Development Authority (APEDA) has signed an MoU with ICAR-Central Citrus Research Institute, Nagpur.
- Both would collaborate on developing climate-resilient agriculture and shaping business models around the needs of the farmers.
- They would also develop a Standard Operating Procedure of citrus fruits for exports.
Germany unveils world’s first self-driving train
- German rail operator Deutsche Bahn and industrial group Siemens on 11 October 2021 unveiled the world’s first automated, driverless train in the city of Hamburg.
- It is more energy-efficient than traditional trains.
- The train is controlled by digital technology and is fully automated.
- The driver remains on the train to supervise the journey with passengers on board.
HCL partners with Google Cloud for healthcare, life sciences solutions
- HCL Technologies (HCL) has expanded its strategic partnership with Google Cloud to jointly launch healthcare and life sciences solutions.
- HCL will establish a joint center of excellence (CoE) for Google Cloud with industry subject matter experts and Google Cloud-certified ideapreneurs.
- HCL’s Google Cloud Native Labs will help accelerate these solutions with Google Cloud support.
Admiral Michael Gilday, US Navy on a 5-day visit to India
- Admiral Michael Gilday, Chief of Naval Operations, US Navy is on a five-day official visit to India, from 11-15 Oct 2021.
- During the visit, he will interact with Admiral Karambir Singh, Chief of the Naval Staff.
- He will visit Indian Navy’s Western Naval Command, Mumbai and Eastern Naval Command, Visakhapatnam.
- He will also embark on the USN Carrier Strike Group off the East Coast of India.
NITI Aayog Vice-Chairman launches NITI Aayog- UNDP Handbook
- NITI Aayog Vice Chairman Rajiv Kumar has launched the NITI Aayog – United Nations Development Programme (UNDP) Handbook on Sustainable Urban Plastic Waste Management in New Delhi.
- It provides a comprehensive overview of managing plastic waste by representing and discussing components of the entire plastic waste value chain.
Adani Group takes over management of Jaipur International Airport
- Adani Group has taken over the responsibilities of the Jaipur International Airport from the Airports Authority of India (AAI).
- The airport has been leased out to the group by the government of India for a period of 50 years.
- Jaipur airport is the 11th busiest airport in India in daily scheduled flight operations.
- It was granted the status of international airport on 29 December 2005.
Former SBI Chairman Rajnish Kumar joins BharatPe board as Chairman
- Rajnish Kumar, former Chairman of State Bank of India (SBI), has joined the board of Fintech firm BharatPe as its Chairman.
- Kumar will mentor the BharatPe team during the transition into a small finance bank.
- He retired from SBI after four decades of service in October 2020.
- He was previously appointed as a non-executive Director for HSBC’s Hong Kong-headquartered Asia unit.
CCI imposes a penalty on two firms for bid-rigging of GAIL tender
- The Competition Commission of India (CCI) has imposed a penalty upon two firms for bid-rigging in tender floated by Gas Authority of India Limited, GAIL.
- These two firms are PMP Infratech Pvt. Ltd. and Rati Engineering.
- It imposed a monetary penalty of 25 lakh rupees on PMP Infratech Pvt. Ltd., and 2.5 lakh rupees on Rati Engineering.
National Award-winning actor Nedumudi Venu passes away
- National Award-winning actor Nedumudi Venu passed away in October 2021.
- He made his debut in films with Thambu, directed by G Aravindan in 1978.
- Known for his work in Malayalam and Tamil movies, Venu acted in over 500 movies.
- Nedumudi Venu won three National Film Awards, and six Kerala State Film Awards for his performances.
PM Modi participates in G20 Extraordinary Leaders’ Summit
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi participated in the G20 Extraordinary Leaders’ Summit on Afghanistan in virtual format on 12 October 2021.
- The summit was convened by Italy, the current chair of the G20 that comprises 20 of the world’s major economies.
- The agenda of the meeting included a discussion on response to humanitarian needs and access to basic services and livelihood.
Andhra Pradesh first ‘PM-WANI’ scheme launched in Kurnool
- Andhra Pradesh Finance Minister Buggana Rajendranath Reddy on 10 October 2020 launched the first Prime Minister’s Wi-Fi Access Network Interface (PM-WANI) project at Uyyalawada village in Kurnool district.
- As per the National Digital Communication Plan, the central government has set a target of setting up millions of Wi-Fi hotspots by 2022 and the PM-WANI scheme will facilitate this.
Ireland’s Amy Hunter becomes the world’s youngest ODI centurion
- Ireland’s Amy Hunter on 11 October 2021 became the youngest player to score an ODI century.
- She scored an unbeaten 121 to take her side to a win against Zimbabwe, bettering the record previously held by India’s Mithali Raj.
- She is just the fourth woman to hit an ODI century for Ireland and the first since 2000.
- Amy Hunter made her international debut against Scotland at the age of 15.
Punjab CM Channi launches ‘Mera Ghar Mere Naam’ scheme
- Punjab chief minister Charanjit Singh Channi on 11 October 2021 announced the ‘Mera Ghar Mere Naam’ (my house in my name) scheme.
- The scheme’s objective is to give proprietary rights to people living in ‘lal dora’ of villages and towns for generations.
- The scheme is a rechristened version of the ‘Mission Lal Laqir’, an extension of the central government’s Swamitav scheme.
M Ravichandran appointed as new Secretary of Earth Science Ministry
- The Appointment Committee of the Cabinet has approved the appointment of Dr. M. Ravichandran, to the post of Secretary, Ministry of Earth Science.
- He was also the Director for National Centre for Antarctic and Ocean Research (NCAOR).
- The Ministry of Earth Sciences was formed on 29 January 2006.
Super 30’s Anand Kumar joins hands with online Japanese initiative
- Super 30 founder Anand Kumar has joined hands with an online Japanese initiative that aims to redefine school education with tailor-made classes for students..
- ‘I’m beside you’, a Japanese company aims to take Kumar’s teaching skills to millions of students globally following his popularity in Japan.
- Anand Kumar was conferred the ‘Sarabhai Teacher Scientist National Honorary Award 2021’.
Delhi CM launches ‘Desh ke Mentor’ programme for career guidance
- Delhi Chief Minister Arvind Kejriwal on 11 October 2021 launched ‘Desh ke mentor’ programme.
- Under the programme, students of classes 9 to 12 of government schools would be guided by dedicated mentors in exploring diverse career and life options.
- The programme entails ”adopting” up to 10 government school students to be mentored by citizens who are successful in their respective fields.
Delhi government launches ‘Anganwadi on Wheels’ initiative
- The Delhi government on 11 October 2021 launched its ‘Anganwadi on Wheels’ initiative aimed at fulfilling the nutritional and health needs of children.
- The initiative aims to reach those children who were not able to reach anganwadis due to any reason and will provide them nutritious food as well as fulfill their educational and health-related needs.
India gets 3rd set of Swiss bank details under auto info exchange
- India has received the third set of Swiss bank account details of Switzerland as part of an annual exercise by the European nation.
- Under the annual exercise, the European nation has shared particulars of nearly 33 lakh financial accounts with 96 countries.
- For the first time, Switzerland has also agreed to share details about real estate assets owned by foreigners there.
Good Samaritans India receives best NGO award by Telangana State govt
- Good Samaritans India has received the best NGO (Non-governmental organization) in Telangana Award 2021, organized by the Telangana state government.
- The NGO provides shelter homes for homeless senior citizens who have been abandoned by their own families.
- The NGO is also closely working on Elder Line that is the National helpline (14567) for senior citizens of Telangana State.
J&K government launches ‘tourist village’ project in Udhampur
- The Jammu and Kashmir government on 11 October 2021 launched its first ”tourist village” project in Panchari in the Udhampur district.
- The J&K govt has the target to develop 75 villages in the union territory as model tourist villages.
- During visits to these villages, tourists would be able to learn about the Dogra culture and enjoy its simple living styles and cuisines.
Dr Randeep Guleria bags Lal Bahadur Shastri National Award
- Vice President M Venkaiah Naidu presented the 22nd Lal Bahadur Shastri National Award for Excellence to Dr Randeep Guleria on 11 October 2021.
- Dr. Randeep Guleria is an eminent pulmonologist and Director of the All India Institute of Medical Sciences (AIIMS).
- He was honored by the Government of India in 2015 with Padma Shri, the fourth highest Indian civilian award.
RBI imposes Rs 30 lakh penalty on Janata Sahakari Bank, Pune
- A penalty of Rs 30 lakh has been imposed by RBI on Janata Sahakari Bank Ltd, Pune.
- The penalty has been imposed for non-compliance with specific directions issued by RBI under the Supervisory Action Framework and RBI directions on ‘Frauds in UCBs: Changes in Monitoring and Reporting mechanism’.
- The bank had not complied with the directions on exposure to sensitive sectors (real estate).
Indian Army Chief General Mukund Naravane to visit Sri Lanka
- Indian Army chief, General Manoj Mukund Naravane will start his five-day visit to Sri Lanka on 12 October.
- He is visiting at the invitation of his Sri Lankan counterpart Gen Shavendra Silva.
- He will witness the final demonstration of the ongoing bilateral exercise ‘Mitra Shakti’ at Maduru Oya Special Forces Training School in the east.
UNHRC declares access to a clean environment a human right
- The UN Human Rights Council has recognised for the first time, that having a clean, healthy, and sustainable environment is a human right.
- The text, proposed by Costa Rica, the Maldives, Morocco, Slovenia and Switzerland, was passed with 43 votes in favour and 4 abstentions – from Russia, India, China and Japan.
- WHO estimates that some 13.7 mn deaths a year are due to environmental risks.
Arun Kumar Mishra appointed EESL’s chief executive officer
- Energy Efficiency Services Ltd (EESL), a joint venture of NTPC Ltd and Power Grid Corp. of India Ltd, has appointed Arun Kumar Mishra as chief executive officer (CEO) on deputation.
- EESL, an energy service company (ESCO), is among the earliest entrants in India’s energy efficiency market.
- Arun Mishra has earlier worked with National Thermal Power Corporation Limited (NTPC).
Morgan Stanley appoints Anahita Tiwari as head of India global centres
- Morgan Stanley has appointed Anahita Tiwari as the new Head of its global centres in India.
- She joins Morgan Stanley from JP Morgan Chase India where she was the head of Global Finance and Business Management.
- She takes over from John McGrory who will head the firm’s global centre in Baltimore and will also functionally lead the Institutional Securities Group (ISG) Product Operations team.
Asiatic lioness ‘Ibha’ as Mascot for U-17 Women’s World Cup India 2022
- FIFA unveiled the official mascot of the U-17 Women’s World Cup India 2022 on 11 October 2021.
- The mascot is Ibha, an Asiatic lioness that represents women power.
- The FIFA U-17 Women’s World Cup India 2022 will take place from October 11 to 30, 2022.
- Ibha aims to inspire girls and women around the world to work up to their full potential.
Nobel Prize in Economics 2021 awarded to David, Joshua and Guido
- The 2021 Nobel Prize for Economic Sciences has been awarded in one half to Canadian David Card and the other half jointly to Israeli-American Joshua D Angrist and Dutch-American Guido W Imbens.
- David analysed the labour market effects of minimum wages, immigration and education.
- While the rest 2 got the prize “for their methodological contributions to the analysis of causal relationships.”
28th NHRC Foundation Day: 12th October 2021
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi will attend 28th National Human Rights Commission (NHRC) Foundation Day programme on 12th October, 2021.
- NHRC was set up under the Protection of Human Rights Act 1993 on 12th October 1993 for the promotion and protection of human rights.
- It takes cognizance of any form of human rights violations.
Indian scientists devise ways to improve the transport of fluid products
- Scientists have found a new method to improve the transportation of fluids by tuning the viscosity and elasticity of fluids during materials processing.
- Scientists from Raman Research Institute have found that by changing the viscosity of the displacing fluid the instability can be reduced.
- The study can also help understand instabilities at the interface between two fluids.
NMDC wins two prestigious environmental awards
- National Mineral Development Corporation Ltd.(NMDC) has bagged Gold Award in the Environmental Sustainability category.
- Kumaraswamy Iron Ore Mine bagged Platinum Award in Environment Management category.
- NMDC is India’s largest iron ore producer.
- It is a Central Public Sector Enterprise under the Ministry of Steel.
- The function was organized by Sustainable Development Foundation in Oct’21.
India to achieve 450 GW renewable energy installed capacity by 2030
- The Ministry of New and Renewable Energy has informed that India is set to achieve 450 GW of renewable energy installed capacity by 2030.
- 39% of the installed capacity is from non-fossil-based sources.
- India is already ahead of what it had planned in Nationally Determined Contributions.
- India is also targeting approximately 1 million tonnes of annual green hydrogen production by 2030.
India Post celebrates Banking Day as part of Azadi ka Amrit Mahotsav
- Department of Posts, Ministry of Communications, celebrated the Banking Day as part of the National Postal Week and Azadika Amrit Mahotsav (AKAM) celebrations, on 11 October 2021.
- Assam Postal Circle also released a special cover on Muga silk GI Tag on the ocassion.
- The department celebrates National Postal Week in October, starting with World Post Day on 9th October.
Giriraj Singh inaugurates training program on Sandalwood Farming
- Rural Development and Panchayati Raj Minister Giriraj Singh inaugurated a training programme on the Sandalwood Farming and Management of its health on 11 October 2021.
- It was inaugurated in association with the Institute of Wood Science and Technology (IWST), Bengaluru.
- Globally, India and Australia are the largest growers of sandalwood.
MoS External Affairs Meenakshi Lekhi addresses 60th anniversary of NAM
- Minister of State for External Affairs Meenakshi Lekhi addressed the High-Level Meeting to mark the 60th Anniversary of Non-Aligned Movement NAM in Belgrade, Serbia, on 11 October 2021.
- NAM is a forum of 120 developing world states that are not formally aligned with or against any major power bloc.
- After the United Nations, it is the largest grouping of states worldwide.