Top Current Affairs of the day: Instantly obtain Latest Current Affairs with all essential info, Be the first to know all the Today Current affairs 26 April 2021 top news, Major Issues, Current News, Important events in National Current News as well as International level with clear explanation. For all competitive exams and Interviews, equip yourself with the Latest Current Affairs on 26 April 2021 granted here.
Top Current Affairs
Google to contribute ₹135 crore
- Amid an unprecedented surge in coronavirus cases in India, Google will be providing funding of ₹135 crores for medical supplies and to help communities in general.
- It also includes increased Ad Grant support for public health information campaigns.
- India reported 3.52 lakh fresh coronavirus cases on 25 Apr’21.
- This is the highest single-day spike registered since the onset of the pandemic.
Indian sports industry declined 34% in 2020
- The Indian sports industry saw sponsorships, celebrity endorsements, media spends on sports properties, among others, decline 34% year-on-year to Rs5,894 in 2020.
- This was stated in a report by GroupM ESP, the entertainment, esports, and sports division of GroupM India.
- With the majority of tournaments postponed or canceled, the only saving grace was the successful completion of IPL in 2020.
Sterlite plant to produce oxygen for 4 months
- The Tamil Nadu Government has allowed Vedanta’s sealed Sterlite Industries in Tuticorin to operate for the production of medical oxygen for a four-month period.
- This is being done in view of the depleting oxygen reserves amid the massive spread of coronavirus cases.
- The unit was sealed by the State Government in May 2018, days after 13 agitators were killed in police firing.
Karnataka Govt imposes strict Covid curfew
- The Karnataka Government on 26 April 2021, held a high-level cabinet meeting to discuss ways to mitigate the virus spread in the state.
- After the meeting, it was decided to impose stricter Covid-19 restrictions for the next 14 days.
- All essential shops will be open from 6 am to 10 am.
- After 10 am shops will close.
- No public transport will be allowed.
Scientist Dr. Krishnamurthy Santhanam dies
- Scientist Dr. Krishnamurthy Santhanam passed away in April 2021.
- Dr. Santhanam was a nuclear scientist and the field director of the Defence Research and Development Organization (DRDO) during the tests of Pokhran-II.
- He was associated with institutions like DAE (Department of Atomic Energy) and MP-IDSA.
- He was awarded Padma Bhushan in 1999.
Natco Pharma seeks approval for Molnupiravir
- Natco Pharma Limited has applied to the Central Drugs Standard Control Organisation (CDSCO) for approval of Phase-III clinical trial of Molnupiravir Capsules, to be used for the treatment of Covid-19 positive patients.
- The capsule has been developed by American pharma major Merck along with Ridgeback Biotherapeutics.
- Molnupiravir has broad anti-influenza activity.
Australia to send oxygen, PPE to India
- Australia will send oxygen, ventilators, and personal protective equipment to India as part of an immediate support package.
- India is battling with the latest surge of COVID-19 cases.
- However, Australia would not send vaccines.
- The Australian government is also considering banning all flights from India following the massive spike of coronavirus cases in the country.
Nippon Steel India to set up a medical facility
- Steelmaker ArcelorMittal Nippon Steel India is setting up a temporary medical facility with around 250 beds, within its facility in Gujarat in order to supply Oxygen directly from its plants.
- AM/NS will be opening the facility on 27 April 2021.
- The company is utilizing the land available within its premises in Gujarat.
Insurers get the nod to invest in InvITs, REITs
- The Insurance Regulatory and Development Authority of India (Irdai) has allowed insurers to invest in debt securities issued by infrastructure investment trusts (InvITs) and real estate investment trusts (Reits).
- It is expected to improve the overall yield of the portfolios held by the firms while providing more long-term funding to the realty sector.
Vistara offers to fly doctors free of cost
- Vistara has offered to fly doctors and nurses representing the government organizations, free of cost, across its domestic network amid a spike in Covid-19 cases.
- The personnel who avail of the service will have to mandatorily follow all the travel-related SOPs and present relevant identification and documentation.
- It will accommodate the medical professionals on a first-come-first-serve basis.
UP Govt orders 50 lakh doses of vaccines
- Uttar Pradesh Government has ordered 50 lakhs doses of Covishield and Covaxin each from manufacturing companies to ensure the availability of adequate doses of Covid-19 vaccine in the state.
- Meanwhile, Uttar Pradesh on 25 April 2021 recorded 38,055 fresh coronavirus cases and 223 fatalities, pushing the virus tally to 10,86,625 and toll to 11,165.
9 hospitals in Nashik to set up oxygen plants
- Nashik will be coming up with nine oxygen production plants.
- Nine hospitals in the district will soon have their own oxygen production plants to meet the rising demand for life-saving gas for Covid patients.
- The district has got an administrative approval of Rs 10 crore 88 lakhs for the project from the district annual plan.
J&K: Five Gram Panchayats awarded
- In the UT of Jammu and Kashmir, five Gram Panchayats have bagged National Panchayat Awards-2021.
- Gram Panchayat Kangroosa of the district Baramulla and Gram Panchayat Hakermulla of district Budgam won Deen Dayal Upadhyay Panchayat Sashaktikaran Puraskar (DDUPSP).
- Gram Panchayat Kootah of Kathua district was conferred with Nanaji Deshmukh Rashtriya Gaurav Gram Sabha Puraskar (NDRGGSP).
ITBP Covid Care Centre operational in Delhi
- Sardar Patel Covid Care Centre and Hospital at Chhatarpur in South Delhi started functioning on 26 April 2021.
- Standard Operating Procedure for admission of patients will be strictly followed and all laid down protocols will be adhered to.
- No walk-in admissions will be allowed in this center and only patients referred by District Surveillance Officers will be admitted.
Indian wins gold medal at Archery World Cup
- In the Archery World Cup, the Indian women’s recurve team including Deepika Kumari, Ankita Bhakat, and Komalika Bari won a gold medal in Guatemala on 25 April 2021.
- This was Deepika’s fifth World Cup stage event team gold medal.
- In another match, the Indian mixed recurve team of Atanu Das and Ankita Bhakat won the bronze medal after a 6-2 victory over the USA.
US Govt lifts export ban on raw materials
- The US Government has decided to lift the export ban on the essential raw materials required by the vaccine manufacturer in India for the production of the COVID-19 vaccine.
- Earlier in April 2021, Serum Institute of India’s (SII) CEO Adar Poonawalla had requested the US President to lift the embargo of raw material exports from the US.
- SII is currently manufacturing the Covishield vaccine.
Fashion designer Alber Elbaz dies of Covid-19
- Fashion designer Alber Elbaz passed away in April 2021 due to Covid-19.
- After beginning his career with the American designer Geoffrey Beene in New York, he took over at Guy Laroche in 1996 before joining Yves Saint Laurent in 1998 to design ready-to-wear collections for the French master.
- In 2001 he was hired by Lanvin.
Indian coronavirus variant reaches Switzerland
- The first case of the Indian variant of COVID-19 has been confirmed in Switzerland.
- The case involved a passenger who arrived in Switzerland via a transit airport and not directly from India.
- India has reported more than 300,000 new cases each day for the past four days, more than anywhere else in the world since the pandemic began.
RIL, BP start production from the gas field
- Reliance Industries Limited (RIL) and BP have announced the start of production from the Satellite Cluster gas field in block KG D6 off the east coast of India.
- They have been developing three deep-water gas developments in block KG D6 –R Cluster, Satellite Cluster, and MJ – which together are expected to produce around 30 mmscmd (1 billion cubic feet a day) of natural gas by 2023.
Railway deploys Covid Care coaches
- Railway has deployed Covid Care Coaches in Uttar Pradesh, Madhya Pradesh, Maharashtra, and Delhi to assist the states in view of rising corona cases in the country.
- Nearly four thousand Covid Care Coaches with 64,000 beds have been positioned at various railway stations in the country.
- The coaches can be used for very mild cases.