Top Current Affairs of the day: Instantly obtain Latest Current Affairs with all essential info, Be the first to know all the Today Top Current affairs 29 April 2021 top news, Major Issues, Current News, Important events in National Current News as well as International level with clear explanation. For all competitive exams and Interviews, equip yourself with the Latest Top Current Affairs 29 April 2021 granted here.
Top Current Affairs
23rd ASEAN-India Senior Officials Meeting
- Secretary in the Ministry of External Affairs Riva Ganguly Das co-chaired the 23rd ASEAN-India Senior Officials’ Meeting with Permanent Secretary of Thailand Thani Thongphakdi, on 28 April’21.
- Senior officials from all ten ASEAN member states and India attended the virtual meeting.
- The ASEAN senior officials welcomed India’s proposal to celebrate the year 2022 as ASEAN-India Friendship Year.
Vimla Kapoor: Judge of the Chhattisgarh HC
- The President of India has appointed Justice Vimla Singh Kapoor, Additional Judge of the Chhattisgarh High Court, to be a Judge of the Chhattisgarh High Court.
- Her appointment will be in effect from the date she assumes charge of her office.
- Vimla joined the Judicial Service as Civil Judge Class Il in 1987.
- She was appointed as an Additional Judge of Chhattisgarh High Court in 2018.
Humanitarian aid sent by Russia reaches Delhi
- The first batch of emergency humanitarian aid to India sent by Russia reached New Delhi on 29 April 2021.
- Two urgent flights, operated by Russian EMERCOM arrived in New Delhi.
- They brought oxygen concentrators, lung ventilation equipment, bedside monitors, medicines, including Coronavir and other essential pharmaceutical items.
SII reduces the price of Covishield vaccine
- Serum Institute of India has dropped the price of the Covishield vaccine by Rs 100 for the state Government.
- It will provide vaccines to states in Rs 300 with immediate effect.
- This will save thousands of crores of state funds going forward.
- The institute had priced Covishield at Rs 400 for state Government hospitals and Rs 600 for private hospitals.
Australia announces to spend USD 580 mn
- Australia has announced to spend 580 million dollars to upgrade its four northern military bases.
- Australia’s objective is a free and open Indo-Pacific, to ensure a peaceful region so that it is in a position to protect its interests.
- An airstrip in the northern territory will be lengthened to support larger aircraft.
- The military upgrades will begin in 2021 and be finished by 2026.
ADB trims down the growth rate of Bangladesh
- The Asian Development Bank (ADB) has cut down the projected GDP growth rate of Bangladesh by at least 1% from its earlier figure of 6.8% for the FY 2020-21.
- The reduction in the projected figure is attributed to the recent surge in pandemic and lockdowns to control the spread of the Coronavirus.
- However, the growth rate is projected to pick up at 6.8 percent in 2021-22.
Covaxin found to neutralize variant of corona
- Covaxin, India’s home-grown COVID-19 vaccine, has been found to neutralize double mutant or 617 variant of the coronavirus.
- This was stated by White House Chief Medical Adviser and America’s top pandemic expert Dr. Anthony Fauci.
- The vaccine has been developed by Bharat Biotech in partnership with the National Institute of Virology and the Indian Council of Medical Research.
‘Oxygen on Wheels’ initiative started
- Karnal District Administration in Haryana has started a unique ‘Oxygen on Wheels’ initiative.
- It will ensure an incessant supply of medical oxygen to both government and private hospitals.
- Under this initiative, a carrier vehicle called ‘Mobile oxygen bank’ loaded with 100 oxygen cylinders will reach out to any district hospital which requisitions its urgent supply.
‘Health Safety Week’ to be extended
- Jharkhand Gov has decided to extend the period of ongoing Health Safety Week in Jharkhand till 6th May’21.
- The decision was taken during a meeting of the State Disaster Management Authority chaired by C.M Hemant Soren.
- In the new extended Health Safety Week, the shops in the state will remain open only till 2 pm in the afternoon while the movement of people will be allowed only till 3 pm.
Laxman Giluwa passes away due to COVID-19
- In Jharkhand, former State BJP President and Singhbhum Member of Parliament Laxman Giluwa died due to COVID-19 in April 2021.
- Laxman Giluwa had represented Singhbhum parliamentary constituency in 1999 and 2014.
- From 2000-2004, he served as the Member of the Consultative Committee in the Ministry of Railways.
Ladakh TTA passes a resolution
- Ladakh Tourist Trade Alliance has passed a resolution discouraging investments by outsiders in any form, in the tourism sector.
- The Alliance consisting of six tourism trade associations, all major political parties, and religious organizations have signed the resolution.
- The tourism industry contributes over 50 percent of the Ladakh economy.
TrulyMadly’s new plasma matchmaking feature
- Bengaluru-based dating app Truly Madly, has launched a plasma matchmaking feature on its Corona Clusters platform.
- The feature matches plasma donors and patients on the basis of their blood group, diagnosis date, location, etc.
- Nearly 290 plasma donors have registered so far, and 467 plasma requests have been raised on the platform.
Time Magazine’s 100 most influential firms
- Two Indian firms, Reliance Industries’ technology arm Jio Platform and e-learning startup Byju’s have figured in the Time Magazine’s first-ever list of 100 most influential companies.
- Byju’s was listed alongside Tesla, Huawei, Shopify, and DiDi Chuxing in the Disruptors category.
- Jio Platform was listed under the Innovators category alongside Zoom, Adidas, TikTok, Ikea, Moderna, and Netflix.
Kiran Mazumdar Shaw joins MSK Cancer Center
- Kiran Mazumdar Shaw, Executive Chairperson, Biocon Ltd has been appointed to the board of trustees of US-based Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center (MSK), US.
- She will serve for a term of three years with effect from Apr 14, 2021.
- She is the 1st woman of Indian nationality to be appointed for this prestigious role.
- MSK is ranked as one of the top two hospitals for cancer care in the US.
Truecaller launches Covid Hospital Directory
- Truecaller has launched a ‘Covid Hospital Directory’ for its users in India.
- The directory includes telephone numbers and addresses of various Covid-designated hospitals.
- In a similar way, Twitter has introduced a Covid-19 vaccine ‘Fact Box’ on user timelines.
- OYO has also launched quarantine facilities as ‘OYO Care’ to support the healthcare system in the country.
Apollo 11 astronaut Michael Collins dies
- Astronaut Michael Collins, a member of the Apollo 11 mission, passed away on 28 April 2021.
- He was one of the three crew members of the first manned mission to the Moon, Apollo 11 in 1969.
- Out of three crew members, Collins had stayed in lunar orbit, while his colleagues Neil Armstrong and Buzz Aldrin walked on the Moon.
- In the mission, Collin worked as a Command Module Pilot.
Tata’s acquisition of SGS and IRC gets CCI nod
- The Competition Commission of India (CCI) has approved the acquisition by Tata Digital Limited of up to 64.3% of the total share capital of Supermarket Grocery Supplies Private Ltd (SGS) and its sole control over Innovative Retail Concepts (IRC).
- IRC runs BigBasket.
- The proposed combination involves acquisition through a combination of primary and secondary acquisitions.
ICICI Bank launches ‘Merchant Stack’
- ICICI Bank has announced the launch of its ‘Merchant Stack’.
- It is a set of the country’s most comprehensive digital banking services specially curated for retail merchants.
- Retail merchants can avail of these contactless services on InstaBIZ, the Bank’s mobile banking application for businesses.
- Merchants, who are not the customers of the bank, can also avail the benefits of the stack.
NTIPRIT conducts webinar with ISRO
- National Telecommunications Institute for Policy Research, Innovation and Training, NTIPRIT, conducted a webinar in collaboration with ISRO and Telecom Industry, on 28 April 2021.
- It was held on the topic NavlC – Opportunities for the Telecom Industry.
- NavlC is an indigenous positioning system that is under Indian control.
Morarji Desai Institute offers online programs
- The Morarji Desai National Institute of Yoga under Ayush Ministry is offering online Yoga training programs.
- These online Yoga training programs are health-promotive and anxiety-relieving.
- The elementary training course is called the “Yoga Volunteer Training Course”.
- Apart from imparting Yoga learning, it also gives the learner an opportunity to be endorsed as a “Yoga Volunteer”.
@Top Current Affairs 29 April 2021
#Top Current Affairs
Important Link :-