Top Current Affairs of the day: Instantly obtain Latest Current Affairs with all essential info, Be the first to know all the Today Current affairs 16 April 2021 top news, Major Issues, Current News, Important events in National Current News as well as International level with clear explanation. For all competitive exams and Interviews, equip yourself with the Latest Current Affairs on 16 April 2021 granted here.
Top Current Affairs
Rashmika Mandanna: McDonald’s brand ambassador
- McDonald‘s India (West and South) has appointed film actor Rashmika Mandanna as its brand ambassador.
- McDonald‘s restaurants in West and South India are operated by Westlife Development Ltd. through its wholly-owned subsidiary.
- Mandana will be a part of key brand campaigns.
- She has worked in multiple Telugu and Kannada films.
Save the Elephant Day: 16 April
- Save the Elephant Day is celebrated on April 16 every year to raise awareness about the dangers elephants face and the various difficulties they overcome to live.
- The day was established by the Elephant Reintroduction Foundation in Thailand.
- There are currently three species of elephant spread across Africa and Asia: the African bush elephant, the African forest elephant, and the Asian elephant.
Wipro reports nearly 28% growth
- Wipro reported nearly a 28% growth in its consolidated net profit at Rs 2,972.3 cr in the March 2021 quarter, in comparison to the same quarter in 2020.
- However, on a quarter-on-quarter basis, the profit increased marginally by just 0.1%, compared to Rs 2,968 cr profit reported in the Dec quarter of FY21.
- Its consolidated revenue climbed 3.4% to Rs 16,245.4 cr in the March quarter.
L&T receives orders worth ₹2,500 crore
- Larsen & Toubro’s construction arm has received multiple orders across business segments in the domestic and international market.
- The orders fall under the “significant” category, which ranges between ₹1,000 cr and ₹2,500 cr according to the classification of contracts.
- Its power transmission and distribution business has won orders to design and construct two substations in Dubai, UAE.
LTI appoints Anil Rander as CFO
- Larsen & Toubro Infotech Ltd (LTI) has appointed Anil Rander as its Chief Financial Officer (CFO).
- Rander joins LTI from Tech Mahindra where he was the Senior Vice President for finance and legal functions.
- Before this role, he was with Hutchison Max Telecom Ltd where he looked after management accounting.
- His other stints have been with Alpic Finance and A.F. Ferguson & Co.
Vishal Chinchankar promoted as CEO: Madison
- Independent media agency Madison Media has promoted Vishal Chinchankar as CEO of its digital agency Madison Digital and Madison Media Ultra.
- He was serving the advertising firm as its Chief Digital Officer.
- The agency currently handles the digital duties of multiple firms across categories, including Godrej Properties, Asian Paints, Abbott, Marico, Viacom 18, Tata Consumer Products. etc.
Govt to adopt the 3-pronged strategy in Kerala
- In Kerala, as covid cases continue to surge, the state government has decided to conduct 2.5 lakh covid tests over the coming two days.
- After a high-level meeting under CM Pinarayi Vijayan on 15 April 2021, it was decided that the government will adopt a three-pronged strategy to crush the Covid-19 curve in the state, which is, massive testing, stringent curbs, and vaccination.
Essential Services Maintenance Act invoked
- Amidst the rapidly surging Covid crisis, the Chhattisgarh government has invoked the Essential Services Maintenance Act (ESMA).
- According to an order issued by the state home department, now the refusal to work in essential services has been prohibited.
- This order will be applicable to doctors, nurses, and other health workers in all government and private health institutions.
India wins one gold, two bronze medals in AWC
- Sarita Mor has won a gold medal in the Asian Wrestling Championships in Almaty, Kazakhstan.
- Indian also won two bronze medals through Seema and Pooja besides Sarita’s gold.
- In the Asian Championships held in February 2020 in New Delhi, Sarita had won gold while in the 2017 edition of the continental competition, she had won silver in 58kg.
1st batch of Sputnik V to be delivered in Apr
- The first batch of Russia’s COVID-19 vaccine Sputnik V will be delivered to India in April 2021.
- The volume of vaccine production in India will be gradually increasing and may exceed 50 million doses per month.
- India has become the 60th country to authorize the use of the Russian Sputnik V vaccine against coronavirus.
The US expels 10 Russian diplomats
- The United States has announced to expel 10 Russian diplomats and impose sanctions against dozens of companies and other people, holding them accountable for interference in 2020’s Presidential election and the hacking of federal agencies.
- The United States also announced sanctions on 32 individuals and entities accused of attempting to interfere in the Presidential election.
Union Home Secretary held a high-level meeting
- Home Secretary Ajay Kumar Bhalla on 15 April 2021, held a high-level meeting to review the status of COVID-19 and public health measures taken by MP.
- In the last 2 weeks, the state has seen an almost 79% increase in weekly new cases.
- It has reported a nearly 13.4% week-on-week increase in new COVID cases.
- 44 districts in MP have crossed their reported highest cases in the last 30 days.
Transfer of Covaxin technology
- The Centre has approved the transfer of Covaxin technology from Bharat Biotech to Haffkine Institute.
- The approval has been given as per the recommendation of the committee of scientific experts for a period of one year.
- The move will help Haffkine Bio-pharma Corporation to start the production of Covaxin as soon as possible.
India to import 50,000 MT of medical oxygen
- The Centre has decided to import 50,000 metric tonnes (MT) of medical oxygen to address the shortage in the hospitals.
- The Ministry of External Affairs (MEA) via its missions abroad is being tasked to identify and explore from where oxygen can be imported.
- 4880 MT, 5619 MT, and 6593 MT have been identified for the 12 high burden states for meeting their projected demand.
BBMP launches COVID-19 helpline number
- The Bruhat Bengaluru Mahanagar (BBMP) Palike has introduced a helpline number 1912 that offers direct Covid19-related assistance.
- The helpline number was launched by the BBMP Commissioner Gaurav Gupta.
- The helpline can be used to allot beds in the hospitals and for home isolation support.
- There are 85,499 active cases in Karnataka while the death toll due to infection has mounted to 13,046.
Madhya Pradesh to get 450 MT of oxygen
- Madhya Pradesh would get 450 metric tonnes of medical oxygen from other states shortly for treatment of critical COVID-19 patients,
- This was announced by Chief Minister Shivraj Singh Chouhan on 15 April 2021.
- A consensus has been reached for the supply of 450 metric tonnes (MT) of oxygen from Bhilai, Devri (Chhattisgarh), and Rourkela (Odisha) to the state shortly.
Apple announces $200mn, Restore Fund
- Apple has announced a first-of-its-kind carbon removal initiative called the Restore Fund.
- It will make investments in forestry projects to remove carbon from the atmosphere while generating a financial return for investors.
- The Restore Fund, launched in partnership with Conservation International and Goldman Sachs, is expected to have its first projects targeted later in 2021.
Delhi becomes the worst-affected city in India
- Battling the 4th wave of the pandemic, Delhi recorded over 17,000 cases of Covid on 14 April 2021.
- It has become the worst-affected city in the country, leaving Mumbai far behind in the daily tally.
- Mumbai’s single-day peak so far is 11,163, registered on April 4, 2021.
- Delhi CM Arvind Kejriwal has announced sweeping restrictions, including a weekend curfew to break the chain of infections
Former CBI Director Ranjit Sinha passes away
- Former Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI) Director Ranjit Sinha passed away in April 2021.
- Sinha was a retired officer of the 1974 batch of the Indian Police Service (IPS).
- He had, during his lifetime, held several senior posts including that of the CBI director and the Director General (DG) of the Indo-Tibetan Border Police (ITBP).
GMR launches ‘AeroCity’ at Hyderabad Airport
- GMR Group has announced the launch of GMR AeroCity Hyderabad at Rajiv Gandhi International Airport.
- Spread across 1500 acres, GMR AeroCity Hyderabad is envisaged to be an integrated mixed-use development, which includes key ports and establishments such as Business Park, Retail Park, etc.
- It has been seamlessly designed for the future business corridor.