Top Current Affairs of the day: Instantly obtain Latest Current Affairs with all essential info, Be the first to know all the Today Current affairs 08 April 2021 top news, Major Issues, Current News, Important events in National Current News as well as International level with clear explanation. For all competitive exams and Interviews, equip yourself with the Latest Current Affairs on 08 April 2021 granted here.
Top Current Affairs
Wipro appoints Subha Tatavarti as CTO
- Wipro Limited has appointed former Walmart executive Subha Tatavarti as its Chief Technology Officer.
- The company has also appointed Suzanne Dann as Senior Vice President and Sector Head for Capital Markets and Insurance, North America region.
- Dann joins Wipro from Avanade, an Accenture and Microsoft Joint Venture, where she served as a Corporate Vice President and General Manager.
Centre approves highway projects in Jharkhand
- The Centre has approved 14 highway projects worth ₹670 cr in Jharkhand.
- These projects have been sanctioned for building 127.93 km of highways.
- The projects include strengthening and reconstruction of a section on NH-333 A in the state for 76.5 cr, besides widening of a section of NH-143 B at a cost of 81.59 cr.
- The strengthening of a stretch of NH-100 in Jharkhand has also been sanctioned.
ABSL CIO Maneesh Dangi resigns
- Maneesh Dangi, the Chief Investment Officer (CIO) at Aditya Birla Sun Life (ABSL) Mutual Fund has resigned from the position.
- Mahesh Patil who was CIO Equity at ABSL Mutual Fund will continue to exercise overall supervision over all its schemes.
- Koustubh Gupta will take over as Head of Fixed Income and Sunaina D’Cunha will take over as Head of Fixed Income (Credit).
PAG to hire Pankaj Razdan to lead Edelweiss
- Asia-focused investment firm PAG is hiring Pankaj Razdan to lead its biggest buyout in India – Edelweiss Wealth Management (EWM), where it recently picked up a 61.5% stake for Rs2,366 cr.
- He is the former Dy Chief Executive of Aditya Birla Capital.
- He will join as the Vice Chairman and Managing Director of EWM.
- Prior to Aditya Birla, he was MD and CEO at ICICI Prudential Asset Management.
Saatchi & Saatchi Propagate’s CEO resigns
- Saatchi & Saatchi Propagate, the full-service digital agency of the Publicis Groupe, has announced the departure of its CEO, Priya Jayaraman.
- It has also announced the elevation of Charles Victor as the COO of the firm.
- It has also appointed Sabah Iqbal as senior Vice-President and Head – S&S Propagate.
- The firm handles a range of local and global clients like Max Group, Scripbox, etc.
RBI amends the inflation-forecasting model
- The RBI has revised its inflation-forecasting model to better capture how fiscal and monetary policy interact with real-economy elements.
- The adjustments incorporate fiscal-monetary dynamics, India’s unique and chaotic fuel pricing regime, and exchange-rate fluctuations, and their impact on the balance of payments.
- The amendment is called the Quarterly Projection Model 2.0.
China constructing its 5th rocket launch site
- A port city in eastern China has launched a plan to build the country’s fifth rocket launch site.
- An engineering company in eastern Zhejiang province won a tender on April 1, 2021, to construct the launch pad in Ningbo.
- As part of the Zhejiang government’s infrastructure plans for 2021-2025, Ningbo will invest 20 billion yuan ($3 billion) in a rocket launch center in Xiangshan.
SBI and NPCI launch UPI awareness campaign
- State Bank of India (SBI) and National Payments Corporation of India (NPCI) have joined hands to launch a dedicated campaign to focus on deepening the reach of UPI transactions across all sections of the population.
- This joint initiative aims at encouraging users of SBI’s banking and lifestyle platform YONO to opt for UPI payments that are easy, safe, and instantaneous.
UP govt to launch special vaccination drive
- UP government has launched a special focused covid vaccination drive from 8 April 2021.
- The drive will focus on the beneficiaries of different social groups who are above 45 years of ago.
- The drive will continue till 23 April 2021.
- Chief medical officer in all districts of the state will be in charge of this drive.
MP govt offices to work for five days a week
- In Madhya Pradesh, all government offices of the state will work for five days a week from Monday to Friday for the next three months.
- This was decided in a high-level meeting under the chairmanship of CM Shivraj Singh Chouhan in view of the increasing infection of corona in the state.
- Also, there will be a lockdown every Sunday until further orders.
Foreign Minister of Eritrea arrives in Delhi
- Foreign Minister of Eritrea, Osman Saleh Mohammed arrived in New Delhi on 7 April 2021 for an official visit to India.
- He met External Affairs Minister Dr. S Jaishankar on 8 April 2021.
- Osman Saleh Mohammed was the first Minister of Education for Eritrea following Independence.
- He served in that position from 1993 to 2007.
PM Modi launches projects in Seychelles
- PM Modi and Seychelles President Wavel Ramkalawan jointly inaugurated a range of Indian projects in Seychelles virtually on 8 April 2021.
- The event featured joint e-inauguration of the new Magistrates’ Court Building and handing over of a Fast Patrol Vessel to Seychelles Coast Guard.
- It also included handing over a solar power plant and the inauguration of 10 community development projects.
John Kerry visits New Delhi
- US Special Presidential Envoy on Climate John Kerry called on Prime Minister Narendra Modi on 7 April 2021.
- He briefed the Prime Minister about the upcoming Leaders’ Summit on Climate scheduled for 22nd and 23rd April 2021.
- He informed that the US would support India’s climate plans by facilitating affordable access to green technologies and requisite finance.
68% loans under PMMY sanctioned to women
- More than 28 crores 68 lakh loans for an amount of nearly 15 lakh crore rupees have been sanctioned since the launch of Pradhan Mantri MUDRA Yojana.
- The scheme was launched in 2015 for providing loans up to Rs 10 lakh to non-corporate, non-farm, small, and micro-enterprises.
- 68% of loans have been given to women entrepreneurs and about 51% of loans have been given to SC, ST, and OBC borrowers.
Hindi translation of a book to be released
- PM Modi will release the Hindi translation of the book ‘Odisha Itihaas’ on 9 Apr’21.
- It was written by ‘Utkal Keshari’ Dr. Harekrushna Mahtab.
- He was a notable figure in the Indian Independence Movement.
- He also served as a CM of Odisha from 1946 to 1950 and from 1956 to 1961.
- He wrote the book in Ahmednagar Fort Jail, where he was imprisoned for more than two years from 1942 to 1945.
President Kovind promulgates an ordinance
- President Ram Nath Kovind has promulgated the Insolvency and Bankruptcy Code (Amendment) Ordinance, 2021 on 4 April 2021.
- On 31 March 2021, the Union Cabinet had approved the proposal to make amendments in the Insolvency and Bankruptcy Code, 2016.
- The amendments aim to provide an efficient alternative insolvency resolution framework for corporate persons classified as MSMEs under the Code.
Kazakhstan Defence Minister visits Jodhpur
- Defence Minister of Kazakhstan Lieutenant General Nurlan Yermekbayev visited Jodhpur and Jaisalmer on 7 April 2021.
- He is on a four-day visit to India and will also travel to Delhi and Agra as part of the travel plan to India with a focus on boosting bilateral defense cooperation.
- The Minister will hold a bilateral meeting with Defence Minister Rajnath Singh in New Delhi on 9 April 2021.
1st regional workshop on PMKVY 3 at Gangtok
- Union Ministry of Skill Development and Entrepreneurship organized the first regional workshop to understand the provisions of Pradhan Mantri Kaushal Vikas Yojana 3.0 in Gangtok on 8 Apr’21.
- It also focused on how to effectively implement the scheme in the North East Region (NER).
- The states covered include Arunachal Pradesh, Assam, Manipur, Meghalaya, Mizoram, Nagaland, Sikkim, and Tripura.
Army Chief General on a visit to Bangladesh
- Army Chief General M M Naravane has proceeded on a five-day visit to Bangladesh starting 8 April 2021.
- His visit comes in the midst of Swarnim Vijay Varsh celebrations which marks the 50 years of the liberation of Bangladesh.
- He paid tributes to the martyrs of the Liberation War at the Shikha Anirban.
- He will also visit the Bangabandhu Sheikh Mujibur Rahman Memorial Museum in Dhanmondi.
New Zealand bans entry of travelers
- New Zealand Prime Minister Jacinda Ardern on 8 April 2021 temporarily suspended entry for all travellers from India, including its own citizens.
- The decision is taken in view of an increasing number of positive Covid-19 cases arriving from the country.
- This measure will be in place from 4 pm on 11 April 2021 and stay until 28 April 2021.