Top Current Affairs of the day: Instantly obtain Latest Current Affairs with all essential info, Be the first to know all the Today Current affairs 22nd August 2021 top news, Major Issues, Current News, Important events in National Current News as well as International level with clear explanation. For all competitive exams and Interviews, equip yourself with the Latest Current Affairs on 22nd August 2021 granted here.
Top Current Affairs
Former UP CM Kalyan Singh passes away
- Former Uttar Pradesh chief minister Kalyan Singh died at the Sanjay Gandhi Post Graduate Institute of Medical Sciences (SGPGI) in Lucknow on 21 August 2021.
- Kalyan Singh was Rajasthan’s first governor in five decades to complete his five-year term in the gubernatorial office.
- In 1991, Singh became the first BJP chief minister of the country’s most populous state.
NTPC builds largest floating solar PV project
- The National Thermal Power Corporation (NTPC ) Ltd, has commissioned the largest floating solar PV project of 25MW on the reservoir of its Simhadri thermal station in Visakhapatnam, Andhra Pradesh.
- It is also the first solar project to be set up under the Flexibilisation Scheme.
- It has the potential to generate electricity from more than 1 lakh solar photovoltaic (PV) modules.
UP launches 3rd phase of ‘Mission Shakti’
- The Uttar Pradesh (UP) government launched the third phase of ‘Mission Shakti’ with an aim to promote safety and self-reliance for women.
- The main schemes to be implemented in this phase are the launch of ‘Mission Shakti Kaksha’ at all the 59,000-gram panchayat bhawans, the formation of one lakh women self-help groups, and the construction of pink toilets in 1,286 police stations, etc.
MoS launches Manipur’s indigenous products
- Minister of State (MoS) for Food Processing Industries Prahlad Singh Patel on 20 August 2021 launched seven indigenous food products of Manipur.
- The food products are black rice laddoo, black rice fruit and nut cookies, hot and spicy bhujia, kabok mixture (sweet dish made of flattened rice), Manipuri casava burfi, bamboo shoot murabba, and fig laddoo.
Guj announces relief package for GIDC units
- The Gujarat government on 21 August 2021 announced a package of Rs 500 crore for industrial units located in GIDC areas to give them relief following the setback caused by the second wave of the COVID-19 pandemic.
- The Gujarat Industrial Development Corporation (GIDC) announced four schemes to provide assistance to more than 50,000 units located in GIDC industrial estates.
Media personality Pradeep Guha passes away
- Film producer and well-known media personality Pradeep Guha passed away at a Kokilaben Dhirubhai Ambani hospital on 21 August 2021.
- Guha, a St Xavier’s College alumnus, has over four decades of experience in the fields of media, advertising, marketing, and branding.
- He was also the vice president and area director of the International Advertising Association, Asia Pacific region.
India’s highest altitude herbal garden setup
- The highest altitude herbal garden of India situated at 11,000 feet was inaugurated in Mana village of Chamoli district of Uttarakhand.
- The park aims to conserve various medicinally and culturally important alpine species and to do research on their habitat ecology.
- It has been developed under the Compensatory Afforestation Fund Management and Planning Authority (CAMPA) scheme.
Asteroid at 94,000 kmph to pass the Earth
- An asteroid 2016 AJ193, as named by NASA would fly past the earth at a distance of 3.4 million kilometers.
- The asteroid is going to drive by at a distance nine times that between Earth and the Moon
- It has been classified as ‘potentially hazardous’ by NASA.
- This was defined based on parameters that measure the asteroid’s potential to make threatening close approaches to Earth.
Indian navy inks MoU with IDFC First
- The Indian Navy has inked a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) with the Infrastructure Development Finance Company (IDFC) FIRST Bank to initiate ‘Honour FIRST’.
- It is a premium banking solution for serving personnel and veterans of the Indian Navy.
- Key features include free Air Accidental Insurance cover of Rs. 1 Crore, free lost card liability and fraud protection of up to Rs. 6 lakhs.
KNP to be equipped with satellite phones
- Assam’s Kaziranga National Park (KNP) became the first national park in India to be equipped with satellite phones.
- The satellite phones would be used in the park’s six ranges with no wireless or poor mobile connectivity.
- It would give an edge to the forest personnel over the poachers and also during emergencies like floods.
Five AYC receive Diana Award
- Five Ashoka Young Changemakers (AYC) have been recognized with the prestigious Diana Award.
- The Ashoka Young Changemakers who have been recipients of the Diana Award are Aaryani Sahay, Aditi Gera, Akarsh Shroff, Aranyo Ray, and Kavya Gupta.
- Diana Award is a recognition for highly inspiring efforts by a young person for social action or humanitarian work.
Banks recast loans under the RBI scheme
- Banks have recast loans worth Rs 35,000 crore under the Reserve Bank of India’s (RBI’s) regulatory package 2.0 till June 2021.
- A majority of the restructuring has been done by public sector banks (PSBs).
- The restructuring could include rescheduling payments, and converting a portion of the debt into equity or other marketable, non-convertible debt securities issued by the borrower.
India smartphone market to reach 173mn units
- India’s smartphone market is set to hit a record high of 173 million units in 2021, growing at 14 percent year-on-year, according to Counterpoint Research report.
- India’s smartphone market is the second biggest market in the world after China.
- In 2020, the Indian market outperformed the North America, Latin America, and Africa markets.
Adani Total Gas buys 50% stake in an SMTPL
- Adani Total Gas Ltd has acquired a 50 percent stake in Smart meters Technologies Pvt Ltd (SMTPL).
- Adani Total Gas Ltd is the gas joint venture of Adani Group and TotalEnergies of France.
- The objective of the acquisition is to manufacture gas meters with a focus on prepaid smart meters.
- Adani Total Gas retails CNG to automobiles and piped natural gas to household kitchens and industries.
Zetwerk company joins unicorn club
- Global manufacturing platform Zetwerk has become the newest member of the coveted unicorn club.
- It has raised $150 million in a Series E funding round, taking the valuation of the firm to over $1 billion.
- Founded in 2018 by IIT alumni Amrit Acharya and Rahul Sharma, Zetwerk aims at modernizing the manufacturing industry using proprietary technology and project management techniques.
Amit wins silver at U-20 Athletics C’ships
- Amit Khatri won a silver in the men’s 10,000m race walk event to clinch India’s second medal at the World U-20 Athletics Championship.
- He finished second behind Kenya’s Heristone Wanyoni.
- The World Athletics U20 Championships is a biennial world championship for the sport of athletics organized by the World Athletics, contested by athletes in the under-20 athletics age category.
Tim David: First Singapore cricketer in IPL
- Tim David is set to become the first Singapore international cricketer to play in IPL.
- Royal Challengers Bangalore have roped in freelance T20 sensation David for the second phase of the 14th edition of IPL 2021.
- The other players from an associate country, who played in IPL, are Dirk Nannes, Sandip Lamicchhane, Roelof Van Der Merwe, Ryan Ten Doeschate, and Chirag Suri.
AICF and CAI India announce merger
- All-India Chess Federation (AICF) and the Chess Association of India (CAI) announced that they have merged into one single entity to administer the sport in the country.
- The AICF is the central administrative body for the game of chess in India.
- The AICF, under its new set of office-bearers, had also announced a number of initiatives to revitalize chess in the country.
India to add 100 more EOs by 2026
- Science and Technology Minister Jitendra Singh said on 21 August 2021 that India would add 100 more earthquake observatories (EOs) by 2026.
- India is going to have 35 more earthquake observatories by the end of 2021.
- The Indian subcontinent is considered one of the world’s most disaster-prone areas in terms of earthquakes, landslides, cyclones, floods, and tsunamis.
NIAB Hyderabad notified as central drugs lab
- The National Institute of Animal Biotechnology NIAB has been upgraded as Central Drugs Laboratory for Covid vaccine testing facility at Hyderabad.
- The Department of biotechnology has also upgraded National Centre for Cell Science (NCCS), Pune as a central drug laboratory.
- The two facilities are expected to test approximately 60 batches of vaccines per month
Ismail Sabri was sworn in as the new PM of Malaysia
- Ismail Sabri Yaakob on 20 August 2021 was sworn in as Malaysia’s ninth prime minister.
- Sabri is a veteran politician from the country’s longest-ruling party United Malays National Organisation (UMNO).
- Malaysia’s King Sultan Abdullah Ahmad Shah appointed him as the new Prime Minister.
- He replaced Muhyiddin Yassin, who resigned after losing majority support in the lower house of Parliament.