Top Current Affairs of the day: Instantly obtain Latest Current Affairs with all essential info, Be the first to know all the Today Current affairs 28th August 2021 top news, Major Issues, Current News, Important events in National Current News as well as International level with clear explanation. For all competitive exams and Interviews, equip yourself with the Latest Current Affairs on 28th August 2021 granted here.
Top Current Affairs
Internet users up nearly 4% to over 825 mn
- The total number of Internet users in the country has risen to 825.30 million at the end of March 2021, registering a quarterly growth rate of 3.79 percent.
- Of these 825.30 million internet subscribers, the number of wired Internet users is 26 million and that of wireless subscribers is 799.31 million.
- The above data was released by the Telecom Regulatory Authority of India (TRAI).
India, Australia aim to announce a trade deal
- India and Australia plan to announce an early harvest trade deal by December 2021, according to a joint statement released by the countries on 27 August 2021.
- The harvest agreement would be the way forward for an early conclusion of a bilateral Comprehensive Economic Cooperation Agreement (CECA) between both nations.
- India was Australia’s seventh-largest trading partner in 2020.
Indian TT player secures a Paralympics medal
- Bhavina Patel on 27 August 2021 became the first Indian table tennis player to secure a medal in the Paralympics.
- She entered the semifinals with a win over world number 5 Borislava Peric Rankovic of Serbia in the women’s singles Class 4 event at Tokyo Paralympics.
- She also has become only the second Indian woman to win a medal at Paralympic Games.
TN Governor gets additional charge of Punjab
- President Ram Nath Kovind on 27 August 2021 has given additional charge of Governor of Punjab to Tamil Nadu Governor Banwarilal Purohit.
- Purohit has also been appointed as the Administrator of the Union Territory of Chandigarh.
- He would replace V P Singh Badnore who has been discharging the duty as Governor as well as Administrator of Chandigarh.
Karmayogi Digital Learning facility launched
- Union Minister Dr. Jitendra Singh inaugurated the “Karmayogi” Digital Learning Facility for Civil Servants at the Institute of Secretariat Training & Management (ISTM).
- ISTM is a premier Central Training Institution under the Department of Personnel & Training (DoPT).
- ‘Mission Karmayogi’ is meant to upgrade the skills of Central Government officers and personnel.
MoS IT Rajeev Chandrasekhar launches “QSim”
- Shri Rajeev Chandrasekhar, Minister of State for Electronics & Information Technology, launched the QSim – Quantum Computer Simulator Toolkit.
- It aims to enable Researchers and Students to carry out research in Quantum Computing in a cost-effective manner.
- QSim is an outcome of the project “Design and Development of Quantum Computer Toolkit (Simulator, Workbench) and Capacity Building”.
BRICS EMS adopt the “New Delhi Statement”
- At the 7th meeting of the BRICS Environment Ministerial 2021, the environment ministers adopted the “New Delhi Statement on Environment”.
- It is aimed at furthering the spirit of Cooperation for Continuity, Consolidation, and Consensus in Environment among the BRICS Nations.
- Shri Bhupender Yadav, Minister for Environment, Forest, and Climate chaired the meeting.
Ministry of Defence signs contract with MDSL
- Ministry of Defence (MoD) has concluded a contract with Mahindra Defence Systems Limited (MDSL) for procurement of 14 Integrated Anti-Submarine Warfare (ASW) Defence Suites (IADS).
- The IADS comes with an integrated capability for detecting enemy submarines and torpedoes at extended ranges as well as diverting incoming torpedoes fired by enemy submarines.
Commanders’ conference in EAC HQ
- Air Chief Marshal RKS Bhadauria, Chief of the Air Staff (CAS) visited Headquarters Eastern Air Command (EAC) from August 26 to 27 for the Commanders’ Conference of Eastern Air Command (EAC).
- The two-day conference reviewed the progress of operational goals set for the Command and highlighted discussions on ways and means to optimize full-spectrum combat readiness.
NTIPRIT organizes a training programme on ‘5G’
- National Telecommunications Institute for Policy Research, Innovation, and Training (NTIPRIT) organized a one-day training program on ‘5G and Cyber Security’ on 27th August 2021 for senior officers of the Government of India.
- NTIPRIT is the capacity-building arm of the Department of Telecommunications, Government of India.
- The Programme was attended by over 65 participants.
Tomar chairs BRICS Agriculture minister meet
- Union Minister for Agriculture & Farmers Welfare Shri Narendra Singh Tomar on 27 August 2021 chaired the 11th Meeting of BRICS (Brazil, Russia, India, China, South Africa) Agriculture Ministers.
- The Ministers of Agriculture from BRICS deliberated virtually on the theme “BRICS Partnership for Strengthening Agro Biodiversity for Food and Nutrition Security”.
MoFAHD holds an awareness programme on ES
- Ministry of Fisheries, Animal Husbandry and Dairying organized an awareness programme on Entrepreneurship schemes (ES) of the Ministry through the Common Service Centre network.
- 2000 village-level camps were held across the country.
- The programmes are being organized as part of the Aazadi Ka Amrit Mahotsav.
Sethuraman wins Barcelona Open chess title
- Indian Grandmaster S.P. Sethuraman won the Barcelona Open chess tournament title in Aug’21.
- Sethuraman collected 7.5 points from nine rounds to emerge winner on the basis of a better tie-break score after Daniil Yuffa of Russia also finished level with the Indian player.
- Sethuraman, who was the top seed, remained unbeaten through the nine rounds, winning six matches and drawing three.
India can contribute $500 bn to the global economy
- India has the potential to contribute $500 billion in annual economic impact to the global economy by 2030.
- It was revealed in a white paper titled ‘Shifting Global Value Chains: The India Opportunity’ by Kearney published in partnership with the World Economic Forum.
- According to the report, India has three key assets to capitalise on this unprecedented opportunity.
RBI issues price of Sovereign Gold Bond Scheme
- Reserve Bank of India has announced issue price for Sovereign Gold Bond Scheme 2021-22 – Series VI.
- RBI has fixed price of 4,732 Rupee per gram for bonds which will be available for subscription from 30 August and will remain open till 3rd September 2021.
- A discount of Rupees 50 will be given to investors applying in online mode.
Odisha approves policy on electric vehicles
- Odisha government has approved a new policy on electric vehicles.
- It was approved by the state Cabinet meeting chaired by Chief Minister Naveen Patnaik in Bhubaneswar on 27 Aug’21.
- The new policy is aimed at achieving a target of 20 percent electric vehicles on road by 2025.
- The policy aims to contribute to the reduction of global temperature.
In J&K, school named after Shaheed Bua Dutta
- In Jammu and Kashmir, Kathua District Administration renamed Government Higher Secondary School, Chandwan as Shaheed Sepoy Bua Dutta Singh Government Higher Secondary School.
- Vir Chakra Awardee Sepoy Bua Dutta Singh of 8 JAK Rifles sacrificed his life while fighting for the country in Chirri Kot village of Poonch Sector on 16th of August 1948.
Assam to construct 1000 Model Anganwadi Centre
- The Assam Government is to construct 1,000 Model Anganwadi Centres in the state.
- Social Welfare Director Bibhas Modi said that each centre would cost 25 lakh rupees.
- For the first time, Model Anganwadi Centres to be constructed in such number and price by the government.
- He also said that the government would also decide to construct an Old-Age Home-cum-Rescue Centre at Boko.
Jallianwala Bagh Smarak dedicated to Nation
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi will dedicate the renovated complex of Jallianwala Bagh Smarak to the nation on 28 Aug 2021.
- He will also inaugurate museum galleries developed at the Smarak.
- The event will also showcase the multiple development initiatives taken by the government to upgrade the complex.
More than 1cr vaccines administered in a day
- India administered more than one crore doses of Covid vaccine on 27 Aug 2021 under its nationwide vaccination drive.
- This is the highest ever vaccination achieved in a single day since the start of the vaccination drive.
- The country’s cumulative COVID vaccination coverage has crossed 62 crore.
- The new phase of universalization of COVID-19 vaccination commenced from 21st June this year.
UP’s 1st AYUSH University in Gorakhpur
- President Ram Nath Kovind laid the foundation stone of UP’s first AYUSH University in Gorakhpur on 28 Aug 2021.
- He also inaugurated the Mahayogi Guru Gorakhnath Vishwavidyalaya in the city.
- With this, the district will have four Universities and this will be a step forward towards establishing Gorakhpur as an educational hub in the Purvanchal region.
Over 60cr COVID vaccines provided by the Centre
- The Union Government has provided over 60 crore 25 lakh COVID vaccine doses to the States and UTs by August end, 2021.
- More than 4 crore 20 lakh unutilized COVID vaccine doses are still available with the States and UTs to be administered.
- As part of the Nationwide Vaccination Drive, the Union Government is supporting the States and Union Territories by providing COVID vaccines free of cost.
The school will reopen in MP from 1 Sep
- In Madhya Pradesh, Chief Minister Shivraj Singh Chouhan has announced that all schools including government and private will open in state from 1st of September with 50 per cent capacity.
- Parent’s consent and strict adherence to the COVID-19 guidelines has been made mandatory.
- Vaccination of all teaching and non-teaching staff is also essential.
PM Jan Dhan Yojana completes seven years
- Central government’s flagship financial inclusion programme, Pradhan Mantri Jan Dhan Yojana completes seven years on 28 Aug 2021.
- The scheme was launched on this day in 2014 with an aim to provide universal access to banking facilities to the people across the country.
- Under this scheme, bank accounts are being opened with minimal paperwork and zero balance.
New registration mark for BH series vehicles
- The Ministry of Road Transport and Highways on 28 Aug 2021 notified that it has introduced a new registration mark for new vehicles – Bharat series (BH-series).
- A vehicle with BH mark will not require a new registration mark when the owner shifts from one State to another.
- This facility will be available on voluntary basis to Defence personnel, employees of Central & State Govt, etc.
Poonawalla Fincorp signs MoU with ICSI
- Poonawalla Fincorp announced in August 2021 that it has signed an MoU with Institute of Company Secretaries of India (ICSI) to provide collateral-free term loans to ICSI members as well as its employees.
- The scheme offers an attractive interest rate, zero prepayment charges and host of other attractive benefits.
- The scheme is set to benefit over 65,000 ICSI members across the country.
Ajay Kumar was appointed as ED at RBI
- The Reserve Bank of India (RBI) has appointed Ajay Kumar as the Executive Director with effect from August 20.
- He will look after the Department of currency management, foreign exchange department and premises department.
- Prior to being promoted as ED, he was heading the New Delhi regional office of the Bank as regional director.
- He holds a masters degree in economics from Patna University.
Sanjeeb’s appointment at IDFC FIRST Bank Ltd
- RBI has approved the appointment of Sanjeeb Chaudhuri as the part-time chairman of the IDFC FIRST Bank Limited.
- Chaudhuri is an MBA in marketing and has completed an advanced management program.
- He has over four decades of senior multinational business experience across global banks and consumer companies.
- He was listed among the Top 25 Media Visionaries in Asia Pacific in 2016.
AM Khanwilkar was appointed as Chairman of SCLSC
- Justice AM Khanwilkar has been appointed as Chairman of the Supreme Court Legal Services Committee.
- The notification in this regard has been issued by the Law Ministry.
- The Central Authority nominated Justice Khanwilkar with immediate effect in the wake of retirement of Justice RF Nariman who held the post of chairman since September 2020.
S Mallikarjuna Rao’s term extended till 2022
- The Appointments Committee of the Cabinet (ACC) has approved an extension of PNB’s Managing Director and Chief Executive Officer, Ch. S. S Mallikarjuna Rao’s term appointment till the date of his superannuation i.e. January 31, 2022.
- Rao was due for retirement on September 18 this year.
- In 2019, he was appointed as the MD and CEO of Punjab National Bank.
Sitharaman inaugurates 11 projects in Tripura
- Union Finance Minister Nirmala Sitharaman inaugurated 11 infrastructure and development projects at Mohanpur in West Tripura district on 27 August 2021.
- She also visited a COVID care centre at Gandhigram village close to Agartala.
- She also reviewed the status of externally-aided projects in Tripura, including a Project for Sustainable Catchment Forest Management in Tripura.
Jammu and Kashmir Film Policy-2021
- J&K government has approved the implementation of the Jammu and Kashmir Film Policy-2021.
- A Jammu and Kashmir Film Development Council (JKFDC) and a Film Division will be constituted under this policy.
- Other developments like infrastructure for film screening, the revival of closed cinema halls, up-gradation of existing cinema halls, among others, will be planned accordingly.
Conference of health ministers of N-E States
- The Ministry of Ayush would be organizing a conference on 28 August 2021 in which Ayush and Health Ministers of all the North Eastern States are participating.
- The conference would open the door for all northeastern states to bring benefits of Ayush systems of medicines effectively and increase its awareness among masses about its preventive, curative, and rehabilitative aspects
Mental health H=helpline ‘SUKOON’ inaugurated
- The State Disaster Response Force (SDRF) of Jammu and Kashmir inaugurated the ‘Sukoon’, the union territory’s first 24×7 counselling helpline number to provide mental health counselling.
- The helpline would offer guidance to persons or their well-wishers who are experiencing mental problems or mental health emergency and pandemic-induced psychologists stress.
India to host International Climate Summit
- India would be hosting the International Climate Summit 2020-21 on September 3, 2021, in physical and virtual mode.
- International Climate Summit is an initiative by the Ph.D. Chamber of Commerce and Industry in partnership with NITI Aayog, Ministry of Environment, Department of Scientific & Industrial Research, and the Department of Science & Technology, Government of India.
Stadium named After Neeraj Chopra unveiled
- Raksha Mantri Shri Rajnath Singh on 27 August 2021 unveiled the Army Sports Institute stadium named after Neeraj Chopra.
- The Indian Army’s “Mission Olympics” program was launched in 2001 with an intent to deliver medal-winning performances in the Olympics and other international events.
- Mission Olympics through Army Sports Institute has been spearheading this initiative of the Army.
Workshop on Pharmaceutical sector in India
- The Competition Commission of India (CCI) organized a workshop on ‘Competition Issues in the Pharmaceutical Sector in India’ on August 27, 2021.
- The daylong workshop was conducted by the CCI in pursuance of its mandate of protecting and promoting competition in markets.
- CCI is a statutory body of the Government of India responsible for enforcing The Competition Act, 2002.
Prabhu Sharma becomes new Nepal Army Chief
- Nepal President Bidhya Devi Bhandari has approved the recommendation to appoint Prabhu Ram Sharma as Chief of the Nepal Army.
- Sharma is an alumnus of National Defense College in India.
- The Chief of Army Staff is the supreme leader and chief executive of the Nepalese Armed Forces.
- The Army Chief directly reports to the Defense Ministry and is appointed for a tenure of only 3 years.
Chn’gh Admin sign ‘Agreed in Principle’
- The Chandigarh Administration and Indian Air Force on 28 August 2021 signed an Agreed in Principle (AIP) for setting up of “Airforce Heritage Centre” at Government Press Building, Chandigarh.
- The Indian Air Force would showcase its vintage aircraft, armaments and memorabilia and other IAF artefacts including an audio-video display at the heritage centre.
“Uncertain Pathways” by UNICEF
- A new report “Uncertain Pathways” was released by the UN Children’s Fund (UNICEF) published on 27 August 2021.
- It found that more children than ever before live as migrants or refugees, outside their birth countries.
- The report highlights how existing gender gaps in education are further exacerbated in humanitarian settings, with displaced girls more likely to be out of school than boys.