Top Current Affairs of the day: Instantly obtain Latest Current Affairs with all essential info, Be the first to know all the Today Current affairs 30th August 2021 top news, Major Issues, Current News, Important events in National Current News as well as International level with clear explanation. For all competitive exams and Interviews, equip yourself with the Latest Current Affairs on 30th August 2021 granted here.
Top Current Affairs
India’s coal import rises 50% to 19 mn tonnes
- India’s coal import rose 50 percent to 18.77 million tonnes (MT) in June 2021, when compared to the shipments that arrived in the same month of 2020.
- The country had imported 12.51 MT of coal in June 2021.
- The above data has been compiled by mjunction services – a joint venture between Tata Steel and Steel Authority of India Limited.
CM flags off free bus service to fish vendors
- Kerala Chief Minister Pinarayi Vijayan flagged off Samudra bus service to ferry women fish vendors from coastal areas to the city on 28 Aug 2021.
- It has been launched in collaboration with Transport, fisheries departments and Kerala State Road Transport Corporation (KSRTC).
- This is for the first time in India, a state government is providing free transportation to women fish vendors.
10 merchant bankers to manage LIC IPO
- The government has shortlisted 10 merchant bankers to manage the mega initial public offering (IPO) of the country’s largest life insurer LIC.
- Goldman Sachs Group Inc, JPMorgan Chase & Co, ICICI Securities Ltd, Kotak Mahindra Capital Co, JM Financial Ltd, Citigroup Inc, and Nomura Holdings Inc are among the 10 book running lead managers BRLMs that have been shortlisted.
Bhuvnesh Seth becomes the new chairman of EPCES
- Export Promotion Council for EOUs and SEZs (EPCES) informed that Bhuvnesh Seth would be the new chairman of the council, set up by the Ministry of Commerce and Industry.
- Srikanth Badiga has been elected as the new vice-chairman of EPCES.
- EPCES aims to service the export promotional needs of Export Oriented Units (EOUs) and Special economic zones (SEZs) in the country.
FSDC to meet on Sep 3
- Finance Minister Nirmala Sitharaman has called a meeting of the Financial Stability and Development Council (FSDC) on September 3, 2021.
- It aims to discuss the state of the financial sector and a strategy to support the nascent recovery of the pandemic-hit economy.
- This would be the 24th meeting of the FSDC and the first during the current financial year 2021-2022.
CM Pramod Sawant inaugurates ‘Antha Prerna’
- Goa Chief Minister Pramod Sawant inaugurated the Goa Startup Conclave Entrepreneurship Summit “Antha Prerana”.
- The conclave was organized by the Startup Promotion Cell in collaboration with the Goa Institute of Management at Panaji.
- Antha Prerna aims to provide opportunities to young entrepreneurs and to create an ecosystem to foster a culture of ideation and innovation in Goa.
Biju Patnaik Award winners felicitated
- Odisha Government on 29 August 2021 felicitated the winners of the Biju Patnaik Award for Sports and Bravery.
- Amit Rohidas, the Indian Hockey defender from Odisha, was given the Biju Patnaik Sports Award.
- Kalu Charan Choudhury, a veteran Hockey Coach was awarded the Biju Patnaik Sports Award for Lifetime Achievement.
- Trailokyanath Parida received Biju Patnaik Bravery Award.
Web-version of e-GOPALA app unveiled
- The web version of the e-GOPALA application developed by the National Dairy Development Board (NDDB) has been launched on 29 August 2021 to aid dairy farmers.
- It would help farmers to manage their livestock including buying and selling of disease-free germplasm in all forms and guides farmers for animal nutrition, treatment of animals using appropriate Ayurvedic Ethnoveterinary medicine.
MP govt announces state-level sports awards
- Madhya Pradesh government has announced state level sports awards.
- 28 sportspersons will be given sports awards in different categories.
- Tokyo Olympic bronze medal winner India hockey team’s Vivek Sagar is among 10 sportspersons, who have been selected for Vikram award.
- The Life Time Achievement Award for the year 2020 is being given to Padmashri Mr Abhay Chhajlani.
Nishad Kumar wins silver medal in High Jump
- In Tokyo Paralympics, India’s Nishad Kumar has won silver medal with a best effort of 2.06 meter in Men’s High Jump T47 event.
- Nishad Kumar equalled his own Asian record with a jump of 2.06m in the final of the high jump event.
- Roderick Townsend set a new world record by jumping 2.15m to win the gold.
- Himachal Pradesh govt has announced a reward of 1 cr rupees for high jumper Nishad Kumar.
Vinod Kumar wins bronze medal in Discus Throw
- In Tokyo Paralympics, Vinod Kumar won the Bronze medal with a best effort of 19.91 meters in the Men’s Discus Throw F52 event.
- Vinod Kumar also broke the Asian Record with effort.
- Piotr Kosewicz of Poland won the gold medal with an effort of 20.02m while Croatia’s Velimir Sandor took silver with a throw of 19.98m.
Afghan journalists get the special citation
- The Pulitzer Prize Board have awarded a special citation to journalists of Afghanistan including reporters, drivers, photographers and interpreters for their courageous work.
- The Pulitzer Prize Board decided to honour the women and men of Afghanistan who have dedicated themselves at great personal risk to create and support journalism that has chronicled decades of life and war.
‘Mera Watan Mera Chaman’ Mushaira held
- Ministry of Minority Affairs organised ‘Mera Watan Mera Chaman’ Mushaira in New Delhi as part of Amrit Mahotsav of 75th Year of India’s Independence, on 28 August 2021.
- Renowned poets from the country mesmerised the audience through their poetry and couplets.
- The Minority Affairs Ministry will organise the “Mera Watan, Mera Chaman” Mushairas and Kavi Sammelans across the country till 2023.
Int. Day against Nuclear Tests: 29 August
- The International Day against Nuclear Tests is an event that is held on August 29 each year.
- It was established on December 2, 2009, by the United Nations General Assembly in its 64th session and adopted unanimously.
- The first nuclear test, called Trinity, was conducted by the United States Army in a desert site in New Mexico, on July 16, 1945.
National Small Industry Day: 30 August
- The National Small Industry Day is observed every year on 30 August.
- The day is dedicated to motivate and promote small industrial businesses.
- The government of India had introduced an extensive policy package for the small scale industry on 30 Aug 2000, since then the National Small Industry Day is observed every year.
- On the other hand, the UN has declared June 27 as the MSME Day.
WCD Ministry to celebrate POSHAN Maah
- Women and Child Development Ministry will celebrate the POSHAN Maah across the nation throughout September 2021.
- POSHAN Abhiyaan is the government’s flagship programme to improve nutritional outcomes for children, adolescent girls, pregnant women and lactating mothers.
- Launched by Prime Minister Narendra Modi in 2018, the POSHAN stands for PM’s Overarching Scheme for Holistic Nutrition.
Sarbananda Sonowal announces campaigns
- Ayush Minister Sarbananda Sonowal has announced week-long activities and campaigns, from 30th August to 5th September, to commemorate Azadi ka Amrit Mahotsav.
- The activities include cultivation of medicinal plants on 75,000 hectares of land to benefit farmers on 31st Aug and the launch of the Y-Break App on 1 Sep 2021.
- The activity will be implemented through National Medicinal Plants Board.
Ramayana conclave launched in Ayodhya
- President Ram Nath Kovind inaugurated the Ramayana Conclave in Ayodhya on 29 August 2021.
- The 65 days long conclave will be organised in Gorakhpur, Baliya, Varanasi, Vindhyachal, Chitrakoot, Lalitpur, Shringverpur bithoor, Bijnor, Bareilly, Ghaziabad, Mathura, Garhmukteshwar, Saharanpur and Lucknow.
- It will have special experts who will narrate and discuss the various events of Ramayana.
Bhavina Patel wins silver medal
- Bhavina Patel opened the account for India at the Tokyo Paralympics Games winning a silver medal in the women’s individual Class 4 Table Tennis on 29 Aug’21.
- This is India’s first medal in Table Tennis, fifth silver at the Paralympic Games.
- She also becomes only the second women para-athlete to finish at the podium after Deepa Malik claimed silver at the Women’s Shot Put F53 in Rio 2016.
The term of (BOI) executive director P R Rajagopal was extended by 2 years
- The central government has extended the term of Bank of India (BOI) executive director P R Rajagopal by two years till 2024.
- His current term was to expire on February 28, 2022.
- Bank of India is an Indian nationalized bank, under the ownership of the Ministry of Finance, Government of India with headquarters in Bandra Kurla Complex, Mumbai.
Amazon partners with Tribes India
- Amazon has partnered with Tribes India for the launch of “Karigar Mela”.
- It is a dedicated storefront with a unique selection of handmade products made by local tribal artisans and weavers from across the country.
- Through this initiative, Amazon would help artisans sell their products as well as sellers to reach customers nationwide by launching and marketing their business on its platform.
PhonePe receives insurance broking licence from IRDAI
- PhonePe on 30 August 2021 has been issued an insurance broking license from the Insurance Regulatory and Development Authority of India (IRDAI).
- With this new ‘direct broking’ license, PhonePe can distribute insurance products from all insurance companies in India.
- PhonePe is India’s leading digital payments platform with over 300 million registered users.
Foreign Secretary Harsh Vardhan to chair UNSC meeting
- Foreign Secretary Harsh Vardhan Shringla would Chair the UN Security Council meeting on 30 August 2021.
- The agenda of the meeting would be on situation in the Middle East, including the Palestinian question.
- India currently holds the rotating presidency of the United Nations Security Council for the month of August.
Noted Bengali writer Buddhadeb Guha passes away
- Noted Bengali writer Buddhadeb Guha passed away at the age of 85 on August 29, in Kolkata, West Bengal.
- Some of his notable works include ‘Madhukari’, ‘Koeler Kachhe’, ‘Sobinoy Nibedon’ and ‘Baba Howa’.
- Guha was also popular among children as he was the creator of the fictional character Rijuda and his side-kick Rudra.
CM announces rewards for Paralympics winner
- Rajasthan Chief Minister Ashok Gehlot on 30 August 2021 announced cash rewards for players for winning medals at the Paralympic Games in Tokyo, Japan.
- He announced a reward of Rs 3 crores to Avani Lekhara for winning gold, Rs 2 crores to Devendra Jhajharia for winning a silver medal, and Rs 1 crore to Sundar Singh Gurjar for winning a bronze medal at Tokyo.
India wins silver and bronze medals
- India’s Devendra Jhajharia and Sundar Singh Gurjar won silver and bronze in the javelin throw F46 event at the Tokyo Paralympics on Monday.
- D. Priyantha of Sri Lanka won gold with a world record throw of 67.79m.
- Jhajharia sealed the podium finish with a new personal best of 64.35m.
- Gurjar Singh threw 64.01m.
ICMR to conduct an advanced research
- The India Cancer Research Consortium under the Indian Council of Medical Research (ICMR) is all set to start research on covid-19 and cancer.
- The apex biomedical research body will support scientists in conducting the research with over ₹5 crores for up to five years to advance research on various aspects of covid-19 and cancer in terms of prevention, epidemiology, and diagnostics.
ISRO tests propulsion system of Gaganyaan
- ISRO successfully conducted the first hot test to check the propulsion system of Gaganyaan’s service module–located below the crew module in which the astronauts will travel, in Aug 2021.
- The two modules remain connected till the re-entry into earth’s atmosphere.
- The propulsion system demonstration model was fired for 450 seconds at the ISRO Propulsion Complex in Mahendragiri, Tamil Nadu.
India’s FDI inflows almost double
- India’s Foreign Direct Investment (FDI) inflows in the first quarter of Financial Year 2021-22 (FY22) stood at $22.53 bn, up by 17.57 billion or 168% from $11.84 billion in the same period in the previous fiscal.
- This increase in foreign inflows during the first three months of the previous FY21 was recorded at 6.56 bn.
- FDI equity inflow grows by 168% in the first three months of FY 2021-22.
Foreign investors pumped around Rs 14,500 cr
- Foreign investors have pumped in around 14,500 crore rupees into the Indian capital markets in August 2021.
- Foreign portfolio investors or FPIs, bought equities worth 986 crore rupees and invested 13,494 crore rupees in the debt markets between August 2 and August 27, 2021 period.
- This translated into a total net investment of 14,480 crore rupees into the Indian capital markets in Aug
The two-day national conference starts in Gujarat
- A two-day national conference with States and Union Territories began at Kevadiya in Gujarat on 30 August 2021.
- This conference is being organized by the Union Ministry of Women and Child Development.
- It will focus on various issues concerning the nutrition of the child and mother.
- The conference will deliberate on important issues like Mission Poshan 2.0, etc.
Avani Lekhara wins gold in air rifle shooting
- Indian shooter Avani Lekhara has won a gold medal in women’s 10 metre air rifle shooting at Tokyo Paralympics.
- She has won the first gold for the country at the Tokyo Paralympic Games.
- Yogesh Kathuniya won a silver medal in Discus Throw.
- This is the fifth medal for the country at the Tokyo Paralympics.
Bangladesh Metro train test run begins
- The performance test run of the first metro rail in Bangladesh was conducted in Dhaka on 29 August 2021.
- The metro rail test run with 6 coaches was conducted over a distance of 6 kilometers from Uttara north to Pallabi.
- The passenger services for the metro train will be opened in December 2022.
- The second phase of the performance test will begin in a few months from now.
IndiGo appoints Saretsky as special advisor
- IndiGo on 29 August 2021 has appointed Gregg Saretsky as a special advisor.
- Saretsky joined the board of InterGlobe Aviation, the parent of IndiGo, as a non-executive director in October last year.
- IndiGo is an Indian low-cost airline headquartered in Gurgaon, India.
- It is the largest airline in India by passengers carried with a 59.24% domestic market share as of August 2020.
Hurricane Ida makes landfall in Louisiana
- Hurricane Ida made landfall near Port Fourchon, Louisiana, on 29 August 2021 as an extremely dangerous Category 4 hurricane with 150 mph winds.
- Ida, on strike on the 16th anniversary of the historically devastating Hurricane Katrina, tied for the most powerful storm in the state with Laura since last year and the island’s last hurricane of 1856.
Rohit strike gold in Asian junior boxing
- Indian boxers Rohit Chamoli (48kg) and Bharat Joon (+81kg) clinched gold medals in the Asian Junior Championships in Dubai on 29 August 2021.
- Chamoli defeated Mongolia’s Otgonbayar Tuvshinzaya.
- Bharat Joon got the better of Kazakhstan’s Yerdos Sharipbek 5-0 to finish on top.
- The championship is currently organized by the Asian Athletics Association.