Top Current Affairs of the day: Instantly obtain Latest Current Affairs with all essential info, Be the first to know all the Today Current affairs 13th August 2021 top news, Major Issues, Current News, Important events in National Current News as well as International level with clear explanation. For all competitive exams and Interviews, equip yourself with the Latest Current Affairs on 13th August 2021 granted here.
Top Current Affairs
SAP India, Microsoft launch ‘TechSaksham’
- SAP India and Microsoft announced the launch of a joint skilling program ‘TechSaksham’ for empowering young women students from underserved communities to build careers in technology.
- The program would work in collaboration with the AICTE Training and Learning Academy-ATAL and state collegiate education department to support the professonal development of faculty at participating institutes.
Delhi to launch cloud-based HIMS
- The Delhi government would launch a cloud-based Health Information Management System (HIMS) by the year 2022.
- Under it, people would get eHealth Cards and also be able to book online appointments with doctors at government hospitals.
- The HIMS would also have a dedicated helpline where call centres will be set up for the convenience of the people and address their grievances.
Hyderabad Sailing Week’ to start from Aug 13
- The 35th edition of the ‘Hyderabad Sailing Week’ would begin at the Hussain Sagar lake on 13 August 2021.
- The event is being conducted as Asian Games trials for Laser class and has been accredited as a Yachting Association of India (YAI) Ranking event.
- The event being held till August 19 would witness races in three categories–Laser Standard, Laser Radial, and Laser 4.7.
India’s sugar exports touch 5.11 mn tonnes
- Sugar mills have exported 5.11 million tonnes of sweetener so far in the ongoing 2020-21 marketing year, trade body All India Sugar Trade Association (AISTA) informed on 12 August 2021.
- Of the total exports undertaken so far, maximum exports have been undertaken to Indonesia followed by Afghanistan and the UAE.
- The sugar marketing year runs from October to September.
Tiger, elephant population estimation protocol
- Minister for Environment, Forest, and Climate Change Bhupender Yadav has released the tiger, elephant population estimation protocol.
- It will be adopted in the exercise to be taken up for the All India elephant and tiger population estimation in 2022.
- The Ministry of Environment, Forest and Climate Change (MoEFCC), for the first time is converging elephant and tiger population estimation.
6th meeting of Agriculture Ministers of SCO
- Union Minister of Agriculture and Farmers Welfare Narendra Singh Tomar addressed the 6th meeting of Agriculture Ministers of the member countries of Shanghai Cooperation Organization (SCO).
- It was held on 12 August 2021 virtually in Dushanbe, Tajikstan.
- The Minister stated that along with food production, exports have also registered significant growth, contributing to global food security.
Canada set to launch digital vaccine passports
- Canada is set to create a digital vaccine passport for citizens wanting to travel abroad.
- This vaccine passport will be a key step forward in ensuring Canadians will have the documents they need once it is safe to travel again.
- It will be made available within the next few months.
- Canada’s Prime Minister Justin Trudeau had also suggested compulsory vaccines for all government employees.
Ghaziabad second most polluted city in 2020
- A recent report prepared by British company HouseFresh has revealed that Bangladesh was the most polluted country across the world in 2020, followed by Pakistan, India, and Mongolia.
- Out of the 50 ‘most polluted cities’ in the world, the Indian city Ghaziabad in UP has been given the second spot.
- China’s Hotan province is the most polluted city in the world.
Sudhir Kumar: Secretary, Cabinet Secretariat
- Senior IPS officer Sudhir Kumar Saxena has been appointed Secretary (Security), Cabinet Secretariat.
- Saxena, a 1987 batch Indian Police Service (IPS) officer of Madhya Pradesh cadre, is currently Special Director General, Central Industrial Security Force (CISF).
- The Secretary (Security) is the administrative head of the Special Protection Group (SPG) that provides security to the PM.
ICAI to come out with investigation standards
- Institute of Chartered Accountants of India (ICAI) will come out with eight new forensic accounting and investigation standards (FAIS).
- Under the new accounting standards, auditors will be required to follow stiff norms while conducting a forensic audit.
- Currently, there are no standards prescribed by any regulator or authority to monitor or regulate the function of a forensic audit.
India’s first large scale battery storage
- Tata Power Solar will set up India’s first large-scale battery storage of 50 megawatt-hours (MWh) along with a 50 MW solar plant at Leh.
- Such a storage system can help store that electricity to supply to the strategic region.
- The order value of the project is ÌNR 386 crores.
- The commercial operation date for this project is set for March 2023.
Govt to give PM Award to 69 executives
- The government of India has announced the Prime Minister’s Shram Awards (PMSA) for the year 2018.
- These awards are to be awarded to 69 workers employed in the Departmental Undertakings and Public Sector Undertakings of the central and state governments.
- Awards will be given in three categories — Shram Bhushan Awards, Shram Vir/Shram Veerangana Awards, and Shram Shree/Shram Devi Awards.
India, S. Arabia begin the first naval exercise
- India and Saudi Arabia are all set to conduct their first-ever naval exercise.
- Indian Navy’s guided-missile destroyer INS Kochi reached Saudi Arabia for the ‘Al-Mohed Al-Hind 2021’ exercise.
- The harbour phase of the exercise began on 9 August 2021 while the sea-based drills began from 11 August 2021.
- The exercise comprises a number of shores and sea-based exercises between them.
IAF builds the highest mobile ATC towers in Ladakh
- The Indian Air Force (IAF) has built one of the world’s highest mobile air traffic control (ATC) towers at the Advanced Landing Ground in Ladakh.
- The ATC controls operations of the fixed-wing aircraft and helicopters operating in the eastern Ladakh region.
- The Air Force also has deployed the Igla man-portable air defence missiles to tackle any aerial incursion by any adversary aircraft.
National Public Procurement Conclave
- The 5th edition of the National Public Procurement Conclave (NPPC) was held on 9-10 August 2021.
- It was organized by Government e-Marketplace (GeM) in association with the Confederation of Indian Industry (CII).
- It was held on the theme “Technology-enabled Government Procurement – Towards Efficiency, Transparency, and Inclusiveness”.
International Lefthanders Day: 13 August
- August 13 is observed annually as the International Lefthanders Day to celebrate the uniqueness and differences of left-handed individuals.
- The day was first observed in 1976 by Dean R Campbell, the founder of Lefthanders International Inc.
- Further, in 1990, the Lefthanders International Club was founded with an aim to promote left-handedness.
- In 1992, the Club launched this day.
MoU signed for API Unit in Himachal Pradesh
- An MoU was signed between the Himachal Pradesh government and Concord Biotech Limited on 12 August 2021.
- It has been signed for setting up Rs 500 crore Application Programming Interface (API) based fermentation manufacturing plant in Una district.
- This project will have an export potential of around 60-65 percent and the unit will be operational in 2 years.
WHO forms a new expert group
- The World Health Organization (WHO) has created a new advisory group that will develop a global framework to study pathogens with pandemic potential.
- The International Scientific Advisory Group for Origins of Novel Pathogens, or SAGO, is a new advisory group for WHO, which will be responsible for advising WHO on the development of a global framework.
J&K LG Manoj Sinha launches ‘PROOF’ app
- Jammu and Kashmir Lieutenant Governor Manoj Sinha has launched PROOF ‘Photographic Record of On-site Facility’ app.
- It will bring more transparency and accountability to the governance system.
- It will help in uploading geo-tagged photographs while preferring bills in the concerned treasuries against the budget allotted through the BEAMS application.
Invest India joins hands with ICS
- The ‘International Climate Summit 2021’ (ICS 2021), an initiative by the PHD Chamber of Commerce and Industry’s Environment Committee, has partnered with Invest India.
- Invest India is a co-organizer for the hybrid event scheduled for 3 Sept 2021.
- This global summit will build a dialogue for India’s transition to clean energy with a special focus on ‘Powering India’s Hydrogen Ecosystem.’
TPREL commissions 100 MW solar power project
- Tata Power Renewable Energy (TPREL) has successfully commissioned a 100 MW Solar Power project at Raghanesda Solar Park, Gujarat.
- The installation will reduce 200,000 tonnes of carbon emission every year.
- Raghanesda Solar Park, located in the Banaskantha district of Gujarat, is one of the biggest solar parks in the country.
Kamlesh Kumar Pant appointed new NPPA Chairman
- Kamlesh Kumar Pant, a 1993-batch IAS officer of Himachal Pradesh cadre, has been appointed as the new Chairman of National Pharmaceutical Pricing Authority by the Appointments Committee of the Union Cabinet.
- The pharmaceutical pricing agency was currently headed by IAS officer Shubhra Singh, who was appointed to the post in 2018.
- Singh has been repatriated to her cadre state Rajasthan.
PM Modi launches vehicle scrappage policy
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi on 13 August 2021 launched the vehicle scrappage policy.
- Vehicle scrapping will help phase out unfit and polluting vehicles in an environment-friendly manner.
- The policy intends to create scrapping infrastructure in the form of Automated Testing Stations and Registered Vehicle Scrapping Facilities across the country.
BTech students can take up other courses
- The All India Council for Technical Education (AICTE) has allowed BTech students to take admissions to other branches of Engineering, apart from their main course through lateral entry.
- Further, the council directed that students do need to study the courses they have already studied in their first discipline when they take admission to the additional programme.
Airtel and Jio conclude an agreement
- Bharti Airtel has announced the closure of its spectrum trading agreement with Reliance Jio Infocomm (Jio) to transfer the ‘Right to Use’ of Airtel’s 800 MHz spectrum in three circles to Jio.
- Airtel has received ₹1,004.8 crore (net of tax) from Jio for the proposed transfer.
- In addition, Jio will assume future liabilities of Rs. 469.3 crores relating to the spectrum.
Assam govt felicitates Lovlina Borgohain
- The Assam government has felicitated boxer Lovlina Borgohain in Guwahati who won a Bronze medal in Tokyo Olympic.
- Chief Minister Himanta Biswa Sarma has awarded her 1 crore rupees and a monthly scholarship of 1 lakh rupees till next Olympics.
- She would also be appointed as DSP in Assam Police.
- Apart from that, her 5 coaches will be given 10 lakh rupees each.
Manipur’s black rice exported to Europe
- In Manipur, a consignment of one Metric Tonne of organic Chak-Hao was exported to Europe on 12 August 2021.
- Locally known as Chak-Hao, the black rice found in Manipur holds a Geographical Indication (GI) tag and it has good demands from different parts of the country and abroad.
- The Manipur government’s ‘War on Drugs’ campaign was launched to destroy the illegal poppy plantations.
Annual Horse Race festival starts J&K
- In Jammu and Kashmir, the two-day annual Horse Race festival commenced at Lal Draman in Doda district on 12 August 2021.
- The Lal Draman festival is being organized by the District Administration Doda in collaboration with the Indian Army.
- It is organized every year and is attended by a large number of people, especially members of migratory nomads who come to these pastures in summer months.
Ganga Prasad was sworn in as Governor of Manipur
- In Manipur, the Governor designate of the state Ganga Prasad was sworn in as the Governor of Manipur at a ceremony held on 12 August 2021 at the Durbar Hall of Raj Bhavan, Imphal.
- The Chief Justice of the High Court of Manipur PV Sanjay Kumar administered the oath of office and secrecy to Ganga Prasad.
- Ganga Prasad is also the Governor of Sikkim.
Agharkar Institute develops a technology
- Pune-based Agharkar Research Institute (ARI) has developed a technology that converts agricultural residue into Hydrogen and Methane.
- It will overcome the problem of agricultural residue and reduce pollution created by burning it,
- Researchers claim that it is the world’s first technology that generates hydrogen directly from agricultural residue for use in fuel cell-powered vehicles.
India sends the largest contingent for Paralympics
- The largest-ever Indian contingent was given a formal and virtual send-off to Tokyo Paralympic Games by Youth Affairs and Sports Minister Anurag Thakur on 12 August 2021.
- 54 para-sportspersons will compete across 9 sports disciplines.
- Mariyappan, who had won a gold in the last edition in Rio, will be the flag bearer of the Indian contingent during the opening ceremony on 24 August 2021.
ICGS Abheek rebased at Okha port
- Indian Coast Guard Ship Abheek has been rebased at Okha port in the Arabian Sea from Chennai.
- The ship was commissioned in Coast Guard service in December 2013.
- The 54 m long ship will be used to implement Coast Guard mandated charter primarily only along Gujarat coast.
- ICG Ship Abheek has been a part of national and international exercises undertaken by the Coast Guard in the recent past.
Tamil Nadu Govt to sign MoU with Germany
- The Tamil Nadu Government is in consultation with Germany to sign an MoU to procure 2,500 buses for public transport.
- The government has no intention to increase the ticket fees.
- At least nine lakh women in the state have been benefited from the free travel scheme.
- An additional allocation of 150 crore rupees has also been allocated for the Transport Department.
India achieves renewable energy capacity
- The total installed renewable energy capacity in India has crossed the milestone of 100 GigaWatts.
- India stands at 4th position in the world in terms of installed renewable energy capacity, 5th in solar, and 4th in wind in terms of installed capacity.
- 50 GigaWatts is under installation and 27 GigaWatt is under tendering.
NITI Aayog issues guidelines for state govt
- NITI Aayog has released a handbook to guide state governments and local bodies to frame policies and norms towards setting up charging networks for electric vehicles.
- The objective is to enhance charging infrastructure and facilitate a rapid transition to electric mobility in the country.
- It has been developed by NITI Aayog and the Ministry of Power.
Quad members hold talks on Indo-Pacific
- Senior officials of India and three other member nations of the Quad on 12 August 2021 held extensive talks on different issues.
- They held talks in areas of infrastructure, maritime security, counter-terrorism, and cybersecurity to achieve the goal of a free and open Indo-Pacific.
- The QUAD group is an informal strategic dialogue with four members, namely, India, Japan, Australia and the US.
Indian Bank launches MSME programme in WB
- Indian Bank announced the launch of its flagship Business Mentoring Programme ‘MSME Prerana’ in West Bengal.
- MSME Prerana is a unique and innovative business mentoring programme in collaboration with Poornatha and Co. to empower MSME entrepreneurs in driving business more efficiently by optimizing value and capacity.
- The programme would be in the local language of the state i.e. Bengali.
BEAM inks agreement with FDRVC
- BSE’s electronic spot platform BEAM for agricultural commodities has joined hands with the Foundation for Development of Rural value Chain (FDRVC).
- It aims to strengthen the price discovery mechanism of the commodities traded by Farmer Producer Organisations(FPOs).
- It is likely to strengthen the price discovery mechanism of the commodities traded by the FPOs.
MP police launch e-FIR registration service
- The Madhya Pradesh police launched an initiative on an experimental basis to allow people to get FIRs registered online regarding thefts of vehicles or theft of cash and items up to Rs1lakh.
- The mediums through which online complaints can be lodged are https://mppolice, citizen portal https://citizen.mppolice.gov.in, and by logging in through a mobile app (MPECOP).
EXIM to provide USD 100mn loan to Mauritius
- The Export-Import Bank of India (EXIM) has entered into an agreement for USD 100 million line of credit to Mauritius for procurement of defense items from India.
- Under the agreement, India would export eligible goods and services to Mauritius.
- Export-Import Bank of India is the premier export finance institution in India, established in 1982 under the Export Import Bank of India Act 1981.
NHA signs MoU with IIT Delhi
- The National Health Authority has signed an MoU with the Indian Institute of Technology Delhi to strengthen India’s response to the COVID-19 crisis and preparedness for emerging healthcare needs.
- Through this partnership, the National Health Authority (NHA) will be a technical collaborator on SAMRIDH Healthcare Blended Financing Facility.
- IIT Delhi serves as the hosting entity for SAMRIDH.
China’s EB wastewater treatment facility
- Asia’s first demonstration facility for medical wastewater treatment using electron beam (EB) technology commenced operation in China.
- The facility in the Hubei Province sterilizes medical wastewater and decomposes antibiotics without additional disinfectant or the production of secondary pollution.
- The Internation Atomic Energy Agency has also played a role in EB application in China.