Top Current Affairs of the day: Instantly obtain Latest Current Affairs with all essential info, Be the first to know all the Today Current affairs 10th August 2021 top news, Major Issues, Current News, Important events in National Current News as well as International level with clear explanation. For all competitive exams and Interviews, equip yourself with the Latest Current Affairs on 10th August 2021 granted here.
Top Current Affairs
PM Modi to address CII Annual Meeting 2021
- PM Narendra Modi will address the Confederation of Indian Industry (CII) Annual Meeting 2021 on 11 August 2021.
- The theme of the meeting is India@75: Government and Business working together for Aatmanirbhar Bharat.
- It will be held over two days- 11-12 August 2021.
- Singapore’s Deputy Prime Minister Heng Swee Keat will address as Special International Guest Speaker.
World Lion Day: 10 August
- World Lion Day is celebrated on August 10 of every year to raise awareness about lions and to mobilise support for their protection and conservation.
- The lion is an endangered species on the IUCN Red List.
- India is home to the majestic Asiatic Lion, which inhabit the protected territory of Sasan-Gir National Park.
- The first World Lion Day was celebrated in the year 2013.
NTS completes 90 lakh consultations
- The Union Health Ministry’s national telemedicine service (NTS) has completed 90 lakh teleconsultations in the country with the last 10 lakh consultations being done in a record 17 days.
- The top 10 states which have registered the highest consultations through eSanjeevani are Andhra Pradesh, Karnataka, Tamil Nadu, Uttar Pradesh, Gujarat Madhya Pradesh, Maharashtra, Bihar Kerala Uttarakhand.
Imagine Digital 2021 to begin on 11 August
- Automation Anywhere Inc. announced the IMEA edition of Imagine Digital – the region’s largest Cloud RPA and AI event, scheduled to begin on August 11, 2021.
- The event features ground-breaking discussions around AI-powered, cloud-native automation fuelling digital transformation innovations.
- Automation Anywhere is a global leader in Robotic Process Automation (RPA).
EOS 03 to be launched on August 12
- The Earth Observation Satellite-03 is scheduled to be launched on August 12, 2021.
- GSLV-F10 is slated to launch EOS-03 from Satish Dhawan Space Centre and would place the satellite in a Geosynchronous Transfer Orbit.
- The primary objective of the satellite is to obtain spectral signatures for mineralogy, disaster warning, cloud properties, snow & glaciers, and oceanography.
GF India Launches Tech4Inclusion challenge
- Grameen Foundation India (GFI) launched the Tech4Inclusion challenge for augmented reality-based solutions to advance financial literacy and inclusion.
- Grameen Foundation India is a social impact organization, working on financial inclusion, agriculture-based livelihoods, and health initiatives with the mission to enable the poor, especially women to overcome poverty and hunger.
Sudha Murty’s new book about the beauty of earth
- Popular children’s author Sudha Murty has come out with a beginner’s guide on the extraordinary stories about the earth.
- The book ”How the Earth Got Its Beauty” also has illustrations by Priyanka Pachpande.
- The book is part of an endeavour to introduce the works of some of the finest storytellers of India to young, emerging readers in beautiful pictorial editions.
A new book by diplomat Pavan K Varma released
- The book ‘The Great Hindu Civilisation: Achievement, Neglect, Bias and the Way Forward”, written by author-former diplomat Pavan K Varma, was released on 9 Aug’21.
- The book aims to answer the questions about Hindu civilization and more in the context of changing empires and leadership through colonization and conquest.
- Pavan K Varma is also a former Rajya Sabha MP.
Rajasthan CM unveils digital monographs
- Rajasthan Chief Minister Ashok Gehlot unveiled digital monographs of freedom fighters.
- He also launched an e-library web application on the occasion of August Kranti Diwas at a virtual program.
- The monographs have been prepared by the Rajasthan Hindi Granth Academy.
- 61 monographs, which were published 15 years ago, have been digitized now.
- They can also be downloaded on mobile phones.
Nagaland bags 7 national awards in VDVY
- Nagaland has bagged seven prestigious national awards in the Van Dhan Vikas Yojana (VDVY) and Minimum Support Price (MSP) schemes for exemplary performance in various categories.
- The VDVY and MSP for Minor Forest Produce (MFP) scheme focuses on farmers’ entrepreneurship programs through processing, packaging, branding, and marketing of locally available products.
PM Narendra Modi announces NMEO-OP
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi on 10 August 2021 announced a National Edible Oil Mission-Oil Palm (NMEO-OP) to make India self-sufficient in cooking oils, including palm oil, as he stressed reducing the dependence on imports.
- India is dependent on imports of edible oil to meet domestic demand.
- Of the total imports, palm oil constitutes about 55 per cent.
India to host Internet Governance Forum
- The launch of India Internet Governance Forum (IIGF) -2021 was announced on 9 August 2021.
- It will be a three-day affair starting from 20 October 2021.
- The theme of the meeting for 2021 would be Inclusive Internet for Digital India.
- Starting from August 2021, multiple Pre-IIGF engagement events will be held at several colleges and universities, as a precursor to the IIGF inaugural event.
Scientists develop a paper made of carbon
- Indian scientists have developed a composite paper made of carbon (graphene oxide) loaded with preservatives that can be used as wrappers to help extend the shelf life of fruits.
- A team of researchers from the Institute of Nano Science and Technology, Mohali have developed it.
- The wrapper releases the preservative only when needed.
- The wrapper can be reused.
Mokhber was named as first Vice President of Iran
- Iran’s new President Ebrahim Raisi has named Mohammad Mokhber as the first Vice President.
- He is the Chairman of a state-owned foundation sanctioned by the United States known as Setad.
- Mokhber was appointed to the position by the supreme leader Ayatollah Ali Khamenei in 2007.
- Raisi also picked Gholamhossein Esmaili, the judiciary’s spokesman during his tenure, as his Chief of Staff.
A new UN report on climate
- The UN report on climate has warned that global warming is on track to hit 1.5 degrees celsius around 2030.
- The Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC) stated that 1.5 Celcius warming threshold would be surpassed by 2050 even if fossil fuels were aggressively taken off.
- Rising sea levels and the melting of Earth’s frozen spaces are now “irreversible for centuries or millennia”.
First CNG bus rolls out in Kolkata
- The first CNG bus hit the roads of Kolkata on 9 August 2021.
- At the moment, two CNG buses will be run on a trial basis and if found operationally feasible, the conversion will be expanded.
- The two buses have been converted from diesel and will be run by the West Bengal Transport Corporation, which has nearly 1,000 buses in its fleet, including 80 electric.
Cyberattacks surge in the first half of 2021
- Cyberattack on organizations worldwide jumped 29% during the first half of 2021 as compared to the same period in the previous year, according to cybersecurity firm Checkpoint.
- Checkpoint’s report titled ‘Cyber Attack Trends: 2021 Mid-Year Report’ highlights dominance of ransomware attacks which has increased 93% in the first half of 2021.
- The Asia-Pacific region was among the most affected.
States get Rs 7930 cr royalty from coal mining
- A total royalty of Rs 7,930.61 crore was provided to states from coal mining during April-December 2020.
- The 10 states that were provided royalty are Chhattisgarh, Jharkhand, Odisha, MP, Maharashtra, Telangana, West Bengal, Assam, UP, and Meghalaya.
- Royalty is a right to receive payment based on a percentage of the minerals or other products produced at a mine.
Commodore Kasargod Rao passes away
- Commodore Kasargod Patnashetti Gopal Rao, a 1971 war hero and recipient of the Mahavir Chakra, passed away in Aug’21.
- He had also received the Veer Seva Medal.
- He played a key role in the war with Pakistan to liberate East Pakistan that is now Bangladesh.
- He led a small task group of the Western Fleet and launched an offensive off the coast of Karachi as part of Operation Cactus Lily.
GST collections for Apr-June quarter at 26.6%
- The Centre has achieved 26.6% of the budget estimates for GST collections in the first three months of the current fiscal (FY 2021-22).
- The net GST collection for the April-June quarter is ₹1.67 lakh crore.
- In the previous fiscal, the net GST collection was over ₹5.48 lakh crore, which was more than the revised estimates (RE) of ₹5.15 lakh crore.
PM Modi chairs UNSC open debate
- PM Narendra Modi proposed five basic principles for enhancing maritime security during an open debate by United Nations Security Council on 9 August 2021.
- He chaired the high-level debate on ‘Enhancing Maritime Security – A Case for International Cooperation’.
- This was the first time that maritime security was discussed in a holistic manner as an exclusive agenda item.
Johnny Depp to get a lifetime achievement award
- Johnny Depp will receive a lifetime achievement award at the San Sebastián film festival.
- He would be given the Donostia award in the festival’s 69th edition on 22 Sep 2021.
- Previous recipients of the award include Viggo Mortensen, Penélope Cruz and Judi Dench.
- Johnny is an American actor, producer, and musician.
- He is the recipient of various accolades, including a Golden Globe Award.
South Africa grants a patent to an AI system
- In a world first, South Africa has granted a patent relating to a food container based on fractal geometry.
- The innovation is an artificial intelligence (AI) system called DABUS.
- DABUS (which stands for device for the autonomous bootstrapping of unified sentience) is an AI system created by Stephen Thaler.
- The system simulates human brainstorming and creates new inventions.
Gujarat govt to open 5 medical colleges
- The Gujarat government has given its approval for opening five new medical colleges in tribal areas of the state.
- The government will spend Rs 1,00,000 crore under the ‘Vanbandhu Kalyan Yojna-2’ during the next five years for the welfare of tribals.
- Rs 90,000 crore has been spent on various developmental works in those tribal areas under the scheme till now.
Reliance to invest $144 million in Ambri Inc
- Reliance New Energy Solar Ltd (RNESL) has announced an investment of USD 144 million in Ambri Inc, an energy storage company based in Massachusetts, USA.
- RNESL is a wholly-owned subsidiary of Reliance Industries Ltd (RIL).
- The investment will help the company commercialise and grow its long-duration energy storage systems business globally.
RBI ropes in Neeraj Chopra for a campaign
- The Reserve Bank of India (RBI) has started a public awareness campaign to warn people against digital banking frauds.
- For the new campaign, RBI has roped in Olympic Gold medalist Neeraj Chopra.
- The central bank has asked people to be a little cautious as doing so can protect them from a lot of troubles.
Cashify appoints Rajkummar Rao as ambassador
- Cashify has appointed Rajkummar Rao as its first brand ambassador.
- Cashify is a re-commerce marketplace that sells and buys used smartphones and other electronic gadgets.
- The actor has signed a multi-year contract with the company and he will promote the products across digital media platforms through campaigns and promotional activities exclusively for the smartphone buyback category.
Assam Assembly passes a bill
- The Assam Assembly has passed a bill that will enable the government to raise the borrowing ceiling by 0.50 percent of the state’s GSDP (Gross State Domestic Product).
- Union Finance Ministry had informed Assam that during 2021-22, the state will be allowed the Net Borrowing Ceiling (NBC) of four percent of the projected GSDP for the fiscal.
Delhi govt developing an app for tourists
- Delhi government’s tourism department is developing an online platform.
- Information about tourist spots along with their brief history, popular local cuisines, market places and heritage walks in the national capital will be available on it.
- A mobile app is being developed for this purpose that would brand Delhi as a tourist destination.
- It is likely to be made operational in Sep 2021.
Indian Railways launches Rail Madad
- The Indian Railways has launched an integrated one-stop solution – Rail Madad.
- With this, Indian Railways has merged several existing helplines into a single platform for grievances.
- Rail Madad can be accessed through the web, app, SMS, social media, and Helpline number (139) during the journey for expeditious resolution of complaints.
World Biofuel Day: 10 August
- Every year, August 10 is marked as World Biofuel Day.
- The day is observed to raise awareness about the alternatives of conventional fossil fuels and the government of India’s endeavours to enhance the biofuel sector.
- The day is observed in honour of Sir Rudolf Diesel, inventor of the diesel engine.
- The theme for World Biofuel Day 2021 is “the promotion of biofuels for a better environment.
Gati appoints Pirojshaw Sarkari as CEO
- Gati Limited, an Allcargo group company and supply chain solutions provider, has announced the appointment of Pirojshaw Sarkari, former chief of Mahindra Logistics, as its CEO.
- Founded in 1989, Gati, has a nationwide network of 735 districts and more than 19,800 pin codes.
- Sarkari set up the business and organisation of UPS in India, and was its managing director and country head till 2010.
CoinDCX becomes India’s first crypto unicorn
- Cryptocurrency exchange CoinDCX became India’s first crypto unicorn with a valuation of $1.1 billion, after closing $90 million in a Series C funding round.
- The round was led by B Capital Group, founded by former Facebook co-founder Eduardo Saverin.
- CoinDCX ranks among the top four crypto exchanges in India, the others being WazirX, CoinSwitch Kuber, and Zebpay.
Telangana HC Judge Justice P Keshava Rao dies
- The Telangana High Court Judge, Justice P Keshava Rao passed away in August 2021.
- He had been serving as a Telangana High Court judge since September 21, 2017.
- In March 2010 he was appointed as special standing counsel for the CBI and continued on the post till April 2016.
- After bifurcation of the High Court from January 1, 2019, he continued as the judge of Telangana High Court.
TN Finance Minister releases white paper
- Tamil Nadu Finance Minister PTR Palanivel Thiyagarajan has informed that the state has a debt of 5.7 lakh crore rupees.
- He released a white paper on the state finances in Chennai on 9 August 2021.
- The state-run transport corporations suffer a loss of 15 crore rupees and the electricity board 55 crore rupees a day.
Central Universities (Amendment) Bill passed
- Parliament has passed the Central Universities (Amendment) Bill, 2021.
- The bill seeks to establish a new Central University in Ladakh to ensure an increase in accessibility and quality of higher education and research for the people of the Union territory.
- The new university will be named Sindhu Central University.
Parliament passes bills – I
- Parliament has passed the Limited Liability Partnership (Amendment) Bill, 2021.
- It seeks to amend the Limited Liability Partnership Act, 2008.
- Parliament has passed the Deposit Insurance and Credit Guarantee Corporation (Amendment) Bill, 2021.
- It seeks to provide depositors time-bound access to their insured deposit amount, in case they are restricted from accessing their bank deposits.
Parliament passes bills-II
- The Parliament has passed the Tribunals Reforms Bill, 2021.
- The bill seeks to dissolve certain existing appellate bodies and transfer their functions to other existing judicial bodies.
- The Parliament has also passed the Constitution (Scheduled Tribes) Order (Amendment) Bill, 2021.
- The bill seeks to amend the constitutional list of Scheduled Tribes as recommended by Arunachal Pradesh.
IAF war veterans felicitated in Bengaluru
- The war veterans from Indian Air Force were felicitated at the Air Force Technical College in Bengaluru on 9 August 2021 as part of Azadi Ka Amrut Mahotsav.
- Air Commodore K.G. Kuruvilla, Wing Commander J.S. Gahalawat, Wing Commander A. Raghunath, and Wing Commander M.R. Shirazi had participated during the 1965 and 1971 wars and won gallantry awards for their valour and courage.