Top Current Affairs of the day: Instantly obtain Latest Current Affairs with all essential info, Be the first to know all the Today Top Current affairs 8th May 2021 top news, Major Issues, Current News, Important events in National Current News as well as International level with clear explanation. For all competitive exams and Interviews, equip yourself with the Latest Top Current Affairs 8th May 2021 granted here.
Top Current Affairs
Professor Shamim Hanfi passes away
- Veteran Urdu critic, writer, and poet, Professor Shamim Hanfi passed away in May 2021.
- He passed away after battling coronavirus-related complications.
- Professor Hanafi was associated with Jamia Millia Islamia as Professor Emeritus.
- He authored several books on literary criticism, plays, and books for children.
- He also translated Abul Kalam Azad’s book ‘India Wins Freedom’.
Covid care centre established by Indian Navy
- A covid care center has been established to treat COVID positive patients of Khurda district, Odisha by the Indian Navy at its ab-initio Training Establishment, INS Chilka.
- It was inaugurated on 7 May 2021.
- It is a 150-bed isolation center with an additional 15-bed oxygen facility at INHS Nivarini, the naval hospital.
- It will treat mild symptomatic covid positive patients.
Ayush Ministry launches nationwide campaign
- The Ministry of Ayush launched a massive nationwide campaign on 7 May 2021 to distribute its proven polyherbal Ayurvedic drugs AYUSH 64 and Sidha drug Kabasura Kudineer.
- The campaign will ensure that medicines reach the needy in a transparent and efficient manner.
- AYUSH-64 is recommended in National Clinical Management Protocol based on Ayurveda and Yoga.
Black fungus detected in Covid-19 patients
- Cases of mucormycosis, commonly known as black fungus, have been reported from Gujarat among those who have recovered from Covid-19.
- At least eight persons were reported to have lost their eyesight in Surat due to mucormycosis (MM) after recovering from Covid-19.
- Among the worst affected are those with uncontrolled sugar levels (diabetic people) and people who have health problems.
9th FOC between India, Colombia
- The 9th Foreign Office Consultations between India and Colombia were held through a video conference on 7 May 2021.
- The Indian side was led by Secretary (East) Riva Ganguly Das while the Colombian side was led by Mr. Francisco Javier Echeverri, Vice Minister, Foreign Affairs of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of Colombia.
Govt to induct 8 lakh AYUSH professionals
- The Government has issued an advisory for the induction of trained AYUSH human resources for clinical management of COVID-19.
- 8 lakh qualified AYUSH professionals will become available for COVID- 19 duties.
- All such professionals who complete a minimum of 100 days of COVID-19 duty will be given the Prime Minister’s Distinguished COVID-19 National Service Samman from the government of India.
DRDO develops an AI tool to detect Covid
- DRDO has developed an Artificial Intelligence algorithm to detect the presence of COVID-19 disease in chest X-rays.
- Named ATMAN AI, the tool was developed by DRDO’s Centre for Artificial Intelligence and Robotics (CAIR), with the support of 5C Network & HCG Academics.
- The ATMAN AI is a tool for chest X-ray screening that has shown an accuracy rate of 96.73 percent.
WHO gives emergency approval to Sinopharm
- The World Health Organization on 7 May 2021 approved a Covid-19 vaccine from China’s state-owned drugmaker Sinopharm for emergency use.
- Sinopharm becomes the first Covid-19 shot developed by a non-Western country to win the WHO’s backing.
- It is also the first time the WHO has given emergency use approval to any Chinese vaccine for any infectious disease.
Delhi: Free vaccination drive for journalists
- Delhi Govt on 7 May’21 announced to organize a mass Covid-19 vaccination drive for all the media houses–electronic, digital, and print–in the national capital.
- The vaccination drive will be organized at the offices of media houses and the govt will bear the full cost of vaccination.
- He also announced to complete the vaccination process for people above 18 years of age within the next 3 months.
Ex-Defence doctors to give online consultation
- The Govt has roped in retired military doctors to provide online consultation to civilian patients across the country under a telemedicine platform of the Union health ministry.
- The service can be availed by any civilian on the website https://esanjeevaniopd.in/.
- The e-Sanjeevani OPD is a flagship telemedicine platform that was developed by the Centre for Development of Advanced Computing.
Singer Anup Bhattacharya dies
- Freedom fighter and Swadhin Bangla Betar Kendra musician Anup Bhattacharya passed away in Dhaka on 7 May 2021.
- Bhattacharya was recognized as an exceptional Tagore singer.
- During the liberation war of Bangladesh, he worked as the Composer and Music Director at Swadhin Bangla Betar Kendra.
- He was the founding member of the Rabindra Sangeet Shilpi Sangstha.
2-DG approved as an adjunct therapy
- The Drugs Controller General of India (DCGI) has given permission for the emergency use of the drug 2-deoxy-D-glucose (2-DG) as an adjunct therapy in moderate to severe Covid-19 cases.
- Being a generic molecule and analog of glucose, it can be easily produced and made available in plenty.
- An adjunct therapy refers to an alternative treatment that is used together with the primary treatment.
Sri Lanka approves Pfizer COVID vaccine
- Sri Lanka has approved Pfizer’s COVID-19 vaccine for emergency use in Sri Lanka, as the island nation battles a third wave of the virus.
- The government would order 5 million doses of the Pfizer vaccine.
- Sri Lanka is the first country in South Asia to approve the Pfizer vaccine.
- It has also approved Russia’s Sputnik and China’s Sinopharm vaccines for emergency use.
India’s credit rating will be retained: S&P
- Standard and Poor’s (S&P) Global Ratings has informed that India’s credit rating would be retained at the current level for the next two years.
- The country will see a slightly faster pace of growth in the next couple of years that will support its sovereign rating.
- There could be upside pressure on the general govt fiscal deficit forecast of 11 percent as revenue generation would be weaker.
Govt relaxed provisions of Income-tax Act
- In view of COVID-19, the government has relaxed the provisions of the Income-tax Act.
- Now, all hospitals, nursing units, dispensaries, and COVID care centers will be able to accept cash over two lakh rupees from the patients.
- The patient and the payee will have to submit PAN and Aadhaar for such payments.
- The relaxation has been granted between 1st April to 31st May 2021.
Special paediatric task force to be set up
- The Maharashtra Govt has already started planning and gearing up for the third wave of COVID-19.
- Experts have warned that the third wave of Covid-19 is likely to impact children.
- In view of this apprehension, the Maharashtra government has decided to set up a pediatric task force.
- Various facilities like beds, pediatric ventilators, special newborn care units beds, etc. will be set up.
Oxygen plant to be set up in Amritsar
- Shiromani Gurdwara Parbandhak Committee (SGPC) has decided to set up an oxygen plant as well as provide services through oxygen concentrators for the treatment of Covid-19 patients.
- The SGPC is setting up an oxygen plant at Shri Guru Ramdas Medical College in Amritsar.
- The approval has also been taken from the central government and two big generators have also been purchased.
Biman Bandopadhyay: West Bengal LA Speaker
- Trinamool Congress MLA Biman Bandopadhyay was elected as the Speaker of the West Bengal Legislative Assembly on 8 May 2021.
- He has been elected for the third consecutive term.
- The cabinet ministers will be taking oath at the Raj Bhavan on 10 May 2021.
- The first cabinet meeting will be held at the state secretariat after the ceremony.
Seema Bisla qualifies for Tokyo Olympics
- Indian wrestler Seema Bisla has secured a Tokyo Olympics berth in women’s 50kg after reaching the finals of the World Olympic Qualifier at Sofia in Bulgaria on 7 May 2021.
- Seema becomes the fourth woman and eighth overall wrestler to qualify for the quadrennial event.
- With this, India equals its previous best qualification of eight wrestlers from the 2016 Olympics.
India, EIB sign finance contract
- The Govt of India and the European Investment Bank (EIB) have signed the finance contract for the second tranche of 150 million euros for the Pune Metro Rail project.
- The project aims to provide an efficient, safe, economic, and pollution-free Mass Rapid Transit System in densely populated areas in Pune.
- The Maharashtra Metro Rail Corporation Ltd is the implementing agency for this project.
@Top Current Affairs 8th May 2021
#Top Current Affairs 8th May 2021
Important Link :-