Top Current Affairs of the day: Instantly obtain Latest Current Affairs with all essential info, Be the first to know all the Today Current affairs 21st May 2021 top news, Major Issues, Current News, Important events in National Current News as well as International level with clear explanation. For all competitive exams and Interviews, equip yourself with the Latest Current Affairs on 21st May 2021 granted here.
Top Current Affairs
Tanuja Rai Pradhan joins Vodafone Idea
- Tanuja Rai Pradhan has joined Vodafone Idea as the Head of Consumer Insights in Marketing.
- Prior to this, Pradhan was Reliance Jio’s special projects, consumer insights, and new commerce analytics Head.
- In the past, he has served at TNS Global, Bharti Airtel, Cushman & Wakefield India, The Nielsen Company among others.
Dun & Bradstreet India, BSE sign an MOU
- Dun & Bradstreet Information Services India has signed an MoU with the Bombay Stock Exchange (BSE).
- The collaboration will work to create an ecosystem for promoting, aiding, and fostering the growth of Small and Medium Enterprises (SMEs).
- It will help SMEs to increase their visibility, expand access to global markets, find potential customers, manage risk, and identify growth opportunities.
INS Rajput to be decommissioned
- After 41 yrs of service, the 1st destroyer of the Indian Navy, INS Rajput, will be decommissioned on 21 May’21.
- The ship was commissioned as INS Rajput at Poti, Georgia by IK Gujral, the then Indian Ambassador to USSR, with Captain Gulab M. Hiranandani as her 1st commanding officer.
- It was constructed in 61 Communards shipyard in Nikolaev (Ukraine) under her original Russian name ‘Nadezhny’.
PathShodh gets regulatory nod for Covid test
- PathShodh Healthcare, a startup incubated at the Society for Innovation and Development (SID) and Indian Institute of Science (IISc) has developed a semi-quantitative electrochemical ELISA test for COVID-19 IgM and IgG antibodies.
- The startup has received the license to manufacture the test for sale from the Central Drugs Standard Control Organisation (CDSCO).
Morgan Stanley names Co-Presidents
- Ted Pick and Andy Saperstein were named Co-Presidents at Morgan Stanley, as part of the executive shuffle within the firm.
- They will replace Colm Kelleher who retired as a President in June 2019.
- They will assume the charge effective from 1 June 2021.
- In addition, Jonathan Pruzan was named Chief Operating Officer, being the firm’s first COO since Jim Rosenthal retired in 2016.
Gautam Adani becomes Asia’s 2nd richest person
- Gautam Adani has become the 2nd richest person in Asia overtakes China’s waterman Zhong Shanshan.
- The Adani group chairman’s net worth has shot up to $66.5 bn higher than Shanshan’s net worth of $63.6 bn, as per the Bloomberg Billionaire Index.
- Ambani’s total wealth now stands at $76.5 billion, making him the 13th richest in the world, followed by Adani at 14th.
HUL rolls out Mission HO2PE in Assam
- Hindustan Unilever Limited has rolled out Mission HO2PE in Assam.
- Under Mission HO2PE, HUL’s Doomdooma factory of Tinsukia district has donated two ventilators, three oxygen concentrators, and face masks at Civil Hospital Tinsukia to provide support for Covid-19 care.
- HUL will also be donating 1000 concentrators to hospitals in nearly 20 locations across India.
India, Oman renew MoU on military cooperation
- India and Oman renewed the Memoranda of Understanding on military cooperation along with its annexure as well as on maritime issues on 20 May 2021.
- The agreements will ensure the continuation of cooperation in specific areas of defence and security
- The document was signed by the Secretary-General of Oman’s Defence Ministry Dr. Mohammed bin Nasser Al Zaabi and Indian Ambassador Munu Mahawar.
Income Tax Dept to launch new e-filing portal
- The Income Tax Department will launch its new e-filing portal www.incometax.gov.in on 7 June 2021.
- The new e-filing portal is aimed at providing taxpayer convenience and a modern, seamless experience to taxpayers.
- The portal is integrated with the immediate processing of Income Tax Returns ITRs to issue quick refunds to taxpayers.
NS Tomar launches honey testing lab project
- On the occasion of World Bee Day, Union Agriculture Minister Narendra Singh Tomar on 20 May 2021 launched the project of setting up a honey testing laboratory at the Indian Agricultural Research Institute, Pusa, New Delhi.
- The project was established for quality testing of honey and other products of beekeeping under the National Beekeeping and Honey Mission.
India cuts 2020-21 sugar export subsidy
- India on 20 May 2021 cut sugar export subsidies by 31.4% for the current season which ends on 30 Sep 2021, according to a government order issued by the Ministry Of Consumer Affairs, Food And Public Distribution.
- Previously, India approved subsidies of 5,833 Indian rupees per tonne.
- The government subsidies for sugar exports now stand at 4,000 rupees a tonne.
Shammi Silva: Sri Lanka Cricket President
- Shammi Silva has been re-elected as the President of Sri Lanka Cricket, after winning the elections unopposed.
- Silva’s term as the head will run for another two years, until 2023.
- This will be his 2nd term in office, after being picked for the role in 2019, when he defeated Jayantha Dharmadasa in the elections.
- He took over the role from Thilanga Sumathipala, who served between 2016-2019.
IIT Ropar develops unique detector FakeBuster
- IIT Ropar along with Australia-based Monash University has developed a unique detector to find out if imposters are attending virtual conferences in the new normal amid the pandemic.
- ‘FakeBuster’ helps find faces manipulated on social media to defame or make jokes.
- It is independent of video conferencing solutions.
- The application has been developed by a four-member team of researchers.
Karnataka: 1st in executing Ayushman Bharat
- Karnataka stands first in establishing health and wellness centers (HWC) under the Ayushman Bharat program to provide comprehensive primary health care in rural areas.
- It has a score of 90 out of 95.
- The state has upgraded 2,168 PHCs so far, which is 103 percent more than the set target.
- Also, against the target of upgrading 294 urban PHCs, the state has already upgraded 364 PHCs.
Jharkhand clinches 1st rank in a ranking
- Jharkhand has clinched the first position in the recent ranking released by the Union Ministry of Housing and Urban Affairs.
- The rankings are based on the progress of the implementation of the Smart City Mission’s schemes running in different 100 cities.
- Jharkhand’s capital Ranchi has risen to 12th position in terms of progress of the ongoing mission plans in 100 cities.
Sri Lanka terms port city bill inconsistent
- Sri Lanka’s Supreme Court has declared that certain provisions of the Chinese port city bill (Colombo Port City Economic Commission Bill) are inconsistent with the Constitution.
- China is building the port city on a reclaimed sea adjoining the port of Colombo with a $1.4 bn investment.
- The Port City project is said to be the single largest private sector development ever in the island nation.
Samoa’s first female PM: Fiame Naomi Mataafa
- Fiame Naomi Mataafa is set to become Samoa’s first female Prime Minister.
- Mataafa is a former Deputy Prime Minister.
- She is the daughter of independent Samoa’s first Prime Minister Fiame Mataafa Faumuina Mulinuu.
- Samoa gained independence in 1962 after nearly 50 years as a New Zealand protectorate.
J&J joins hand with Biological E
- US pharmaceutical company Johnson and Johnson has joined hands with Telangana-based Biological E Limited for the manufacturing of the COVID-19 vaccine.
- The vaccine named, Janssen Covid-19 vaccine is currently approved in the US, Europe, and other nations including Thailand and South Africa.
- India has currently approved 3 vaccines that are- Covishied, Covaxin, and Russia’s Sputnik V.
Chhattisgarh Govt to provide input subsidy
- The Chhattisgarh Govt has decided to provide an input subsidy of Rs 10,000 per acre to the farmers who will utilize the paddy cultivation area for farming of other identified Kharif crops, in place of paddy, from the upcoming Kharif season 2021-22.
- It has also decided to provide an input subsidy of Rs 9,000 per acre per year for paddy in Kharif season 2020-21 and on all major Kharif crops.
British Indian chemist wins a prize
- Cambridge University chemists Shankar Balasubramanian and David Klenerman have been declared the winners of the 2020 Millennium Technology Prize.
- They are being awarded for their development of revolutionary sequencing techniques which means DNA can now be read in super-fast times.
- The prize is awarded by Technology Academy Finland (TAF) at two-year intervals.
Egypt pledges USD 500 million help for Gaza
- Egypt President Abdel Fattah al-Sisi has pledged USD 500 million for reconstruction efforts in Gaza.
- Egypt has also sent 65 tonnes of medical aid to neighboring Gaza.
- The deadly violence between Israel and Palestine erupted on May 10, 2021.
- Since then, Israeli airstrikes have killed more than 200 Palestinians in Gaza.
India: 2nd largest insurtech market in APAC
- India is the second-largest insurance technology market in Asia-Pacific and accounted for 35 percent of the USD 3.66 billion insurtech-focused venture capital invested in the region.
- This was given in the S&P Global Market Intelligence data.
- Insurance premiums in India totaled USD 107 billion in India for 12 months ended March 31, 2020.
UAE to allow foreign ownership of companies
- UAE will allow 100% foreign ownership of companies.
- Foreigners opening a company in the United Arab Emirates will no longer need an Emirati shareholder or agent under changes to UAE company law that will go into effect on June 1, 2021.
- The amended Commercial Companies Law aims at boosting the country’s competitive edge and is a part of UAE government efforts to facilitate doing business.
International Tea Day: 21 May
- International Tea Day is observed every year on 21 May.
- It was first celebrated in the year 2020.
- The theme for the year 2021 is “Tea and Fair Trade”.
- Tea is the second most used drink in the world after water.
- It is mostly produced in the continent of Asia including countries like India, China, Nepal, Kenya, and Sri Lanka.
- Tea first originated in the North-East parts of India.
Six Indian places in the tentative list of UNESCO
- 6 Indian sites have been added to the tentative list of UNESCO’s world heritage sites.
- The sites are Satpura Tiger Reserve, MP, Iconic riverfront of the historic city of Varanasi, Megalithic site of Hire Benkal, Maratha Military Architecture in Maharashtra, Bhedaghat-Lametaghat in Narmada Valley- Jabalpur, and temples of Kanchipuram.
- UNESCO has 48 proposals in the tentative list of India.
RBI to transfer ₹99,122 crores to central Govt
- The Reserve Bank of India (RBI) has decided to transfer a surplus of ₹99,122 crores to the Central Government.
- The decision to transfer the surplus was taken in the 589th meeting of the Central Board of Directors of the Reserve Bank of India held under the chairmanship of RBI governor Shaktikanta Das
- The board has decided to maintain the Contingency Risk Buffer at 5.50%.
Mylab to make 1 crore Covid test kits
- Mylab Discovery Solutions is preparing one crore self-use Covid-19 testing kits before the national rollout on June 1, 2021.
- The Indian Council of Medical Research (ICMR) approved Mylab Discovery’s home-based rapid antigen testing kit on 20 May 2021.
- The kit named ‘COVISELF’ is the country’s first self-use kit for testing at home that will give results in 15 minutes and would cost ₹250.
Veena George: New Kerala Health Minister
- Former journalist Veena George will replace KK Shailaja as the Health Minister of Kerala.
- Shailaja was dropped from the Ministry in the second successive term of Pinarayi Vijayan.
- George will also be heading the Women and Child Welfare Department.
- Chief Minister Pinarayi Vijayan will retain Home Ministry.
Vision LifeIncome Plus launched
- Aditya Birla Sun Life Insurance (ABSLI), the life insurance subsidiary of Aditya Birla Capital Limited (ABCL), has announced the launch of a hyper-flexible savings plan.
- The new ABSLI Vision LifeIncome Plus Plan will provide guaranteed regular income plus flexible bonus payouts to policyholders.
- This savings plan provides a customer with a guaranteed regular income for up to 30 years.
Sun Pharma appoints independent Directors
- Sun Pharma has announced the appointment of Pawan Goenka, former MD of Mahindra and Mahindra (M&M), and management consultant Rama Bijapurkar as additional independent directors of the company.
- Their appointment is in effect from May 21, 2021.
- Pawan Goenka retired as the MD and CEO, and member of the board of directors of M&M on April 2, 2021.
- The former Urdu newsreader of All India Radio and recipient of the SAARC Literature Award in 2014, Dr. Tarannum Riyaz passed away in New Delhi in May 2021. She was associated with the Urdu Unit of All India Radio on a casual assignment basis till Dec 2019.
- Indian shooting coach Monali Gorhe died of mucormycosis in May 2021. She had also served as the national coach of the Sri Lankan shooting team.
Andhra P. introduces budget in State Assembly
- The Andhra Pradesh Finance Minister Buggana Rajendranath introduced the budget in the Assembly on 20 May 2021.
- Rs 24,624.22 crores has been allocated for the education sector.
- About Rs 3,500 crores have been earmarked for the development of schools under Nadu Nedu, Rs.1,200 crore for Jagananna Gorumudda, Rs.750 crore for Jagananna Vidya kanuka, and Rs. 1973 crore for higher education.
MP Govt to provide Rs. one lakh ex-gratia
- The Madhya Pradesh Government will provide financial assistance of Rs. one lakh to the families of those who died due to COVID-19 during the second wave.
- The state ranks 16th in the country in terms of infection.
- Both Indore and Bhopal have more than 11,000 active cases.
- The COVID positivity rate has declined to 6.3 percent.
Mucormycosis a notifiable disease: Odisha
- The Odisha government has decided to include Mucormycosis as a notifiable disease under the Epidemic Diseases act 1897.
- The decision has been taken in view of the reported rise in incidences of black fungus among covid-19 patients, currently under certain drugs and also among patients in the post-covid period.
- Gujarat and Tamil Nadu have also declared it as a notified disease.
Bangladesh Independence Award 2021 given
- Bangladesh PM Sheikh Hasina gave away the highest civilian award of Bangladesh ‘Swadhinta Puraskar 2021’ also known as Independence Award to nine individuals and a research organization on 20 May 2021.
- It is conferred on people or organizations for their outstanding contribution to the various fields.
- The recipients of the award get a gold medal and a cash reward of Taka 5 lakh.
Wolrd’s largest iceberg breaks
- A huge iceberg, the world’s largest, has broken off from an ice shelf in Antarctica and is floating through the Weddell Sea.
- Called A-76 and roughly the shape of Manhattan but more than 70 times bigger, it was picked up on satellite images and is “currently the largest berg in the world”.
- It is around 170 kilometers (105 miles) long and 25 kilometers wide, with an area of 4,320 square km.
Microsoft retiring Internet Explorer
- Microsoft is finally retiring its original Internet browser—the Internet Explorer.
- After a life cycle of over 25 years, the desktop application for Internet Explorer will be “retired” on 15 June 2022 and it will no longer receive support services from the company either.
- The company is encouraging users to shift to Microsoft Edge instead, which has legacy support.
- Barcelona Femeni won the Women’s Champions League for the first time after a brilliant 4-0 win over Chelsea in the final in Gothenberg in May 2021.
- The Ministry of Youth Affairs and Sports has invited nominations and applications from eligible athletes, coaches, and universities for the annual National Sports Awards for 2021. The National Sports Federations will also nominate athletes.
Anti-Asian Hate Crimes Bill signed into law
- US President Joe Biden has signed into law, legislation addressing anti-Asian hate crimes, which have increased during the COVID-19 pandemic.
- The legislation aims to make the reporting of hate crimes more accessible at the local and state levels by boosting public outreach and ensuring reporting resources are available online in multiple languages.
Khushhal Kaushik receives Glory of India Award
- Cybersecurity veteran, Khushhal Kaushik has bagged the super-prestigious Glory of India Award 2020 recently by the Indian achiever forum.
- The award is given to professionals and veterans across diverse fields and streams to recognize their excellence, merit, and the propelling of a nation’s growth through their achievements.
- He joins the awardees that include Kiran Bedi, Sushil Kumar, etc.
Tashi: 1st Indian to climb Mt. Everest in 2021
- Tashi Yangjom from Arunachal Pradesh became the first Indian to scale Mt. Everest this season when she reached the summit on 11th May 2021.
- Trained at the National Institute of Mountaineering and Allied Sports (NIMAS) in Dirang, Yangjom started the climb on 9th May.
- With this achievement, she also became the ninth climber from NIMAS to scale Mt. Everest.