Top Current Affairs of the day: Instantly obtain Latest Current Affairs with all essential info, Be the first to know all the Today Current affairs 4th May 2021 top news, Major Issues, Current News, Important events in National Current News as well as International level with clear explanation. For all competitive exams and Interviews, equip yourself with the Latest Current Affairs on 4th May 2021 granted here.
Top Current Affairs
Renowned AIR Newsreader Sushil Javeri dies
- Renowned AIR (All India Radio) Newsreader of yesteryears Sushil Javeri passed away today in May 2021due to COVID-19.
- He served in the News Services Division of All India Radio for nearly four decades.
- Mr. Javeri, famous for his neat and clean English baritone voice, joined AIR drawing inspiration from the historic broadcasts of Melville de Mellow.
25 city buses converted into ambulances
- In Maharashtra, Nagpur Municipal Corporation has converted 25 city buses into ambulances for use of COVID patients.
- Mayor of Nagpur city, Dayashankar Tiwari flagged off these ambulances on 3 May 2021.
- The newly converted ambulances have Oxygen facilities as well.
- The needy person can avail this facility by calling on 0712-2551417.
Kerala CM P Vijayan resigns
- In Kerala, Chief Minister Pinarayi Vijayan handed over his resignation letter to Governor Arif Mohammad Khan on 3 May 2021.
- The Governor directed the CM to continue in office till the formation of the new government.
- The CPI (M) State Secretariat meeting be convened on 4 May 2021 and held a discussion on the formation of a new Government.
Jateen Kore: Digital Head of Wondrlab
- Marketing technology startup Wondrlab has appointed Jateen Kore as its Digital Head.
- He will be based in Mumbai and will report to Rakesh Hinduja, Co-Founder and managing partner-content platform at Wondrlab.
- Kore joins from IDFC First Bank where he was the Head-Digital Marketing.
- Wondrlab provides services to advertisers in content, experience, and digital business transformation.
Free ration for 72 lakh beneficiaries: Delhi
- The Delhi Government has decided to give free ration to all ration cardholders in the national capital for the next two months.
- Around 72 lakh beneficiaries will be given free ration.
- The CM has further announced financial assistance of ₹5,000 each for all autorickshaw and taxi drivers in Delhi.
- It has disbursed ex gratia payments of ₹5,000 each to construction workers.
Unitern partners with Flow Realty
- Real estate startups Unitern Advisors Pvt Ltd and Flow Realty have partnered to offer solutions to property developers stuck with stressed projects.
- Both firms aim to address the issues faced by developers and help them revive projects that have been stuck.
- Both will also help them with fund-raising, land acquisition, balance sheet management, operations, marketing strategy, etc.
Tamilnadu CM Palanisamy resigns
- Tamilnadu Governor Banwarilal Purohit has accepted the resignation of Chief Minister Edappadi Palanisamy and his council of ministers.
- The Governor has requested them to continue until alternate arrangements are made.
- The 15th Legislative Assembly has dissolved.
- DMK formally elected its leader M.K. Stalin as the Chief Minister on 4 May 2021.
Plateauing of COVID-19 cases being reported
- Plateauing of cases is being reported in Maharashtra.
- From the peak of 65,000 cases that were reported earlier, now 62,000 cases are reported.
- According to the Union Health Ministry, there are 12 districts in Maharashtra where cases of corona have been declining.
- These districts are Aurangabad, Dhule, Bhandara, Gondia, Jalgaon, Latur, Mumbai, Nanded, Nandurbar, Thane, and Washim.
Bihar Govt to deduct Rs 2 crore from a scheme
- Bihar Government has decided to deduct two crore rupees from the Chief Minister Area Development Scheme of every MLA and MLC, to boost its fight against Corona.
- The state government has collected 636 crore rupees from 243 MLAs and 75 MLCs during the current fiscal.
- The amount will be used for the treatment of covid patients.
- MLAs and MLCs can give more money if they desire so.
Mark: World Champion for 4th time in Snooker
- In Snooker, Mark Selby became the World Champion for the fourth time.
- Selby won the Championship defeating Shaun Murphy by 18-15 victory at Crucible Theatre, Sheffield.
- He has now moved up to the second spot in world rankings, next only to Judd Trump.
- He won prize money of five hundred thousand pounds in the Championship.
Thisara announces retirement from cricket
- Former Sri Lanka ODI and T20 skipper Thisara Perera announced his retirement from international cricket on 3 May 2021.
- Perera played 166 ODIs and 84 T20Is besides competing in the Indian Premier League.
- He also took 175 wickets with his right-arm medium-pace bowling.
- In the 74 T20I innings, the Sri Lankan scored 1204 runs.
Congo declares end of Ebola outbreak
- The Democratic Republic of Congo declared the end of an Ebola outbreak on 3 May 2021.
- It infected 12 people in the eastern province of North Kivu and killed six of them.
- The outbreak was contained using Merck’s Ebola vaccine, which was given to more than 1,600 of the patients’ contacts and contacts of contacts.
- The cases were genetically linked to the 2018-20 Ebola epidemic.
Microsoft and Nigerian Government collaborate
- Microsoft and the Nigerian government are collaborating with the aim of creating about 27,000 new digital jobs over the next three years.
- They will use 1,700 trainers to train five million Nigerians.
- They are also planning to improve internet connectivity by installing high-speed internet infrastructure in six regions of the country.
US approves solar energy project
- The US government has approved a major solar energy project in the California desert that will be capable of powering nearly 90,000 homes.
- The 550 million-dollar Crimson Solar Project will be sited on 2,000 acres of federal land west of Blythe, California.
- The project will include a battery storage system and will be sited on land designated for renewable energy development.
Former J&K Governor Jagmohan passes away
- Former Union Minister and former Governor of Jammu and Kashmir Jagmohan passed away in May 2021.
- A civil servant, Jagmohan also served as Lt Governor of Delhi and Goa.
- In the Atal Bihari Vajpayee Cabinet, he served as the Union Minister for Communications, Urban Development, Tourism, and Culture.
- He was honored with Padma Shri in 1971, Padma Bhushan in 1977, and Padma Vibhushan in 2016.
Govt issues guidelines for PLI scheme for FPI
- The government has issued guidelines for the ‘Production Linked Incentive Scheme for the Food Processing Industry (PLISFPI).
- Minister of Food Processing Industry Narendra Singh Tomar has also launched an online portal for the PLISFPI.
- The government has approved PLISFPI for implementation during 2021-22 to 2026-27 with an outlay of 10 thousand 900 crore rupees.
Saral Pension launched by AFLI
- Ageas Federal Life Insurance has announced the launch of its Ageas Federal Life Insurance Saral Pension annuity plan.
- The plan helps a policyholder prepare a personal annuity plan for self and spouse.
- It offers an option of single life and joint life immediate annuity with a return of premium.
- It intends to offer an individual assured guaranteed regular income during retirement years.
RBI fines ICICI Bank with Rs 3 crore
- The Reserve Bank of India (RBI) has imposed a penalty of ₹3 crores on ICICI Bank for contravention of certain directions on prudential norms for classification, valuation, and operation of investment portfolios by banks.
- The penalty has been imposed in exercise of powers vested in RBI under the provisions of the Banking Regulation Act, 1949.
SII to make £240 million investments in UK
- The Serum Institute of India will invest GBP 240 million in the UK to expand its vaccine business and set up a new sales office creating a large number of jobs.
- The Pune-based vaccine manufacturer is among a list of nearly 20 Indian companies across sectors such as healthcare, biotech, and software services to announce significant investment plans in the UK.
Apple hires ex-Google AI scientist
- Apple Inc has hired former distinguished Google scientist Samy Bengio.
- Bengio is expected to lead a new AI research unit at Apple under John Giannandrea, Senior Vice President of machine learning and AI strategy.
- Giannandrea joined Apple in 2018 after spending about eight years at Google.
- Samy had been associated with Google for 14 years.