Top Current Affairs of the day: Instantly obtain Latest Current Affairs with all essential info, Be the first to know all the Today Current affairs 5th July 2021 top news, Major Issues, Current News, Important events in National Current News as well as International level with clear explanation. For all competitive exams and Interviews, equip yourself with the Latest Current Affairs on 5th July 2021 granted here.
Top Current Affairs
Startup WUS ties up with US-based GASP
- The US-based Global Alliance for a Sustainable Planet (GASP) has joined hands with IIT Kanpur-incubated start-up WUS.
- The collaboration follows Worker Unions Support’s (WUS) selection for the ‘Milestone Makers cohorts 2021’ of Nasdaq Entrepreneurial Center.
- WUS was the only Indian start-up among total 13 entities that were selected for the ‘Milestone Makers cohorts 2021’.
Kerala to distribute free kits to children
- The Kerala governme will provide free kits, containing activity books, chart papers, and crayons to pre-school children who do not have TV or internet facilities.
- The kits would be distributed to 14,102 children across the state.
- Kerala has internet facilities in more than half its schools.
- 93.41% of Kerala’s schools have in-house computers and 88% have internet connectivity.
SEBI imposes over ₹32 crore penalties
- SEBI has imposed penalties totalling more than ₹32 crores on IL&FS Securities Services Ltd (ISSL), Allied Financial Services Pvt Ltd (AFSPL) and three individuals.
- They have been fined for lapses in connection with the alleged fraudulent transfer of mutual fund units of three companies.
- ISSL is a clearing member while AFSPL is a depository participant.
Daimler, Volvo and Traton plan a JV
- Three major European truck manufacturers – Daimler Trucks, AB Volvo, and Traton plan to form a joint venture to develop an electric battery-charging network for long-haul trucks and buses.
- They will invest 500 million euros in the venture that they will own equally.
- The operations will be started in 2022.
- The aim is to install and operate at least 1,700 charging points within five years.
Mithali Raj: Leading run-scorer in int cricket
- India captain Mithali Raj has become the highest run-getter in women’s cricket across formats, overtaking Charlotte Edwards.
- Mithali achieved the feat during the third and final ODI against hosts England while chasing 220 for a consolation win.
- She scored an unbeaten half-century, 75 not out, to hand the Indian women’s team their first win on their ongoing tour of England.
Sirisha: 2nd Indian-born woman to fly to space
- Andhra Pradesh-born astronaut Sirisha Bandla will be flying to space with UK billionaire and founder of the Virgin Galactic company, Richard Branson on July 11, 2021.
- Bandla will be taking care of the researcher’s experience on the Unity22 mission.
- She will be one of the six space travellers aboard ‘VSS Unity’ of Virgin Galactic, scheduled to take off to space from New Mexico.
Ascendas India Trust to build data centres
- Singapore’s Ascendas Property Fund Trustee Pte. Ltd. will invest around Rs1,200 crore to develop and operate phase one of its first data centre campus in India.
- Located at Airoli, the 6.6-acre site will be developed in phases into a fully-fitted data centre campus.
- In phase one, the first building, which is scheduled to be ready by mid-2024, will have a built-up area of about 325,000 sq ft.
Foundation laid for 5 Eklavya schools
- Union Minister of Tribal Affairs Arjun Munda laid the foundation stone for the construction of 5 Eklavya Residential Model Schools (EMRS) in three districts of Jharkhand, on 3-4 July 2021.
- 480 students will study in each school.
- All the Eklavya Model Schools in Jharkhand will have facilities for the sport Archery.
10,000 FPOs to be formed across the country
- Union Minister of State for Agriculture and Farmers Welfare Kailash Choudhary has informed that 10,000 Farmers Producer Organizations (FPOs) will be formed across the country.
- Under FPO programme, after registration, Rs 15 lakh will be given as an equity grant by the govt against farmer’s contribution of 2000 each.
- Similarly, for administrative purpose, Rs 18 lakh will be given for 3 years.
Panacea gets approval to make Sputnik V
- India’s drug regulator has given Panacea Biotech the approval to manufacture the Covid-19 vaccine Sputnik V at its facility in Baddi, Himachal Pradesh.
- Panacea Biotech has a collaboration with the Russian Direct Investment Fund (RDIF), Russia’s sovereign wealth fund which is backing the Sputnik V vaccine developed by the Gamaleya Center.
New record set up during Van Mahotsav
- In Uttar Pradesh a new record was set up by planting 25 crore saplings during the week-long Van Mahotsav culminating on 4 July 2021.
- To achieve the target of planting 25 crore saplings under the campaign, each district was given its target.
- Under Van Mahotsav, the government aims to plant 30 crore saplings for the year 2021.
Satish Agnihotri: New MD of NHSRCL
- Satish Agnihotri, a 1982 batch IRSE officer (retired) has taken charge as the new Managing Director of the National High-Speed Rail Corporation Ltd (NHSRCL).
- He had worked as the Chairman and Managing Director of the Rail Vikas Nigam Limited (RVNL) for close to nine years.
- He also held the position of Chairman, High-Speed Rail Corporation Ltd (HSRC), till August 2018.
MM Naravane on a visit to UK and Italy
- Army Chief General MM Naravane has proceeded on a visit to the United Kingdom and Italy.
- During his four-day visit, he will be meeting his counterparts and senior military leaders of the two countries with an aim of enhancing India’s defence cooperation.
- He will also inaugurate the Indian Army Memorial in the famous town of Cassino.
PM Modi to address CoWIN Global Conclave
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi will address the CoWIN Global Conclave on 5 July 2021.
- India offers CoWIN as a digital public good to the world to combat COVID-19.
- COVID-19 Vaccine registration portal, CoWIN has become very popular, and foreign countries are showing interest in this technology.
- Over 50 countries from across Central Asia, Latin America and Africa are interested in it.
Ayush Ministry to launch Ayurveda dataset
- The Ayurveda dataset on the Clinical Trials Registry- India CTRI Portal will be launched online on 5 July’21 by Minister for AYUSH Kiren Rijiju.
- It has been jointly developed by the Indian Council of Medical Research (ICMR) and Central Council for Research in Ayurvedic Sciences (CCRAS).
- The key feature of this digital platform is the provision of selection of the Ayurveda Health conditions.
NIPUN Bharat to be launched
- Education Minister Ramesh Pokhriyal Nishank will virtually launch National Initiative for Proficiency in Reading with Understanding and Numeracy – NIPUN Bharat on 5 July 2021.
- The vision of the NIPUN Bharat Mission is to create an enabling environment to ensure the universal acquisition of foundational literacy and numeracy.
Amazon CEO Jeff Bezos steps down
- Jeff Bezos, the world’s richest man, stepped down as Amazon CEO on 5 July 2021.
- Bezos chose July 5 as it was exactly 27 years ago on that date in 1994 when he founded Amazon.
- Andy Jessy will be the new CEO of Amazon.
- Jeff Bezos now plans to focus on his other ventures that include his rocket ship company, Blue Origin, and his newspaper, The Washington Post.
Heranba gets environmental clearance
- Agrochemicals firm Heranba Industries has received environmental clearance from the Ministry of Environment, Forest, and Climate Change.
- It will set up additional manufacturing capacity at an estimated cost of Rs 110 crore at its facility in Gujarat.
- It will expand pesticide intermediates, fungicides, herbicides, and insecticides manufacturing in Gujarat.
KKR acquires seven highways assets
- US private equity firm KKR has signed definitive agreements to acquire Global Infrastructure Partners’ (GIP) entire stake in Highway Concessions One (HC1) and seven highway assets with a total length of 487 kilometers.
- KKR made its investment from the KKR Asia Pacific Infrastructure Fund.
- The investment represents KKR’s 3rd in India and the firm’s 1st investment in Asia’s transport sector.
Fincare Bank extends overdraft facility
- The Fincare Small Finance Bank has extended an instant overdraft facility against FD to help customers tide over such funding requirements.
- They can avail the instant overdraft facility anytime, anywhere.
- Customers do not need to liquidate their FD to avail this facility.
- This is a real-time, convenient and efficient way of getting a short-term loan, rather than breaking the FD prematurely.
The retirement age of LIC chairman extended
- The govt has extended the superannuation age of LIC Chairman to up to 62 years by making amendments to the Life Insurance Corporation of India (Staff) Regulations, 1960.
- The changes made in the rules will be called the Life Insurance Corporation of India (Staff) Amendment Rules, 2021.
- The retirement age for the top executives of the majority of PSUs is 60 years.
Domex partners with MCGM
- Hindustan Unilever Limited (HUL) has came forward to support the Municipal Corporation of Greater Mumbai (MCGM).
- Domex, a brand by HUL, supported MCGM teams in their disinfection plans by donating around 50,000 litres of their Domex Disinfectant Floor Cleaner around the city.
- The cleaner is proven to destroy coronavirus in 10 seconds, offering an effective disinfection solution.
ESL to help set up EV charging stations
- The Pune Municipal Corporation (PMC) has plans to set up charging stations in the city for electric vehicles (EV) with the help of the state-owned Energy Efficiency Services Limited (EESL).
- EESL is a joint venture of four reputed public-sector undertakings.
- NITI Aayog had earlier selected Pune as the country’s first Urban Mobility Lab, with e-mobility as a priority.
Gita Gopinath honoured by US foundation
- International Monetary Fund Chief Economist Gita Gopinath and NASA Scientist Kamlesh Lulla are among the 34 immigrants honored by Carnegie Corporation of New York, an NGO.
- In 2019, Gita Gopinath was also awarded the Pravasi Bharatiya Samman, the highest honor the Indian government given to overseas Indians and persons of Indian origin.
Bengaluru-Karwar Express renamed
- The Ministry of Railways has authorized a proposal to call Train No. 16595/16596 Bengaluru-Karwar-Bengaluru Express as Panchaganga Express.
- It has been named after the Panchagangavali river.
- Five rivers, Souparnika (Kollur), Chakra, Kheta (Kedaka), Kubja, and Varahi (Halady) that crisscross Byndoor and Kundapura taluks merge and be part of the Arabian Sea as Panchagangavali.