Top Current Affairs of the day: Instantly obtain Latest Current Affairs with all essential info, Be the first to know all the Today Current affairs 26th July 2021 top news, Major Issues, Current News, Important events in National Current News as well as International level with clear explanation. For all competitive exams and Interviews, equip yourself with the Latest Current Affairs on 26th July 2021 granted here.
Top Current Affairs
Implementer Professional course on ISO
- The Confederation of Indian Industry (CIC) is conducting a certified Implementer Professional course on ISO 50,001-Energy Management System from 26-30 July’21 through virtual platform.
- This program will describe fundamental technology of ISO500001 standard like energy policy, energy performance indicator, etc.
- CIC is a non-governmental trade association based in New Delhi, founded in 1895.
26 July: Kargil Vijay Diwas
- The 22nd Anniversary of Kargil Vijay Diwas is being celebrated across the country on 26 July 2021.
- The day marks the victory of Indian armed forces in Operation Vijay in 1999 when they evicted the infiltrators backed by the Pakistani army from high outposts in the Kargil sector.
- India is also celebrating the Golden Victory of Bangladesh Liberation in 2021.
Various projects launched in Meghalaya
- Union Home Minister Amit Shah on 25 July’21 inaugurated a water supply project, designed to benefit over 20,000 people in East Khasi Hills.
- The ‘Greater Sohra Water Supply Scheme’, conceptualized by the Meghalaya govt and funded by the Ministry of Development of North Eastern Region (DoNER), will incur an expenditure of Rs 24.08 crore.
- Shah also launched the ‘Sohra Afforestation Project’.
New data on tap water supply in the village
- The tap water supply has reached to 66 percent of schools and 60 percent anganwadi centres in villages across the country.
- The provision of tap water supply has been made in all schools and anganwadi centres in nine states and one Union Territories.
- These states and UTs are Andhra Pradesh, Goa, Gujarat, Haryana, Himachal Pradesh, Kerala, Punjab, Sikkim, Tamil Nadu and Andaman and Nicobar.
‘Special 40’ squad to protect girls, women
- The Indore police in Madhya Pradesh has set up a 40-member women squad ‘Special 40’ to protect minor girls from sex offenders and curb crimes against women.
- It will collect information for police and also be deployed in festivals, fairs and other gatherings as a safety measure.
- The squad will teach girls about ‘bad touch, good touch” in slums and ways to prevent sexual assault.
IFC lends USD 250mn to HDFC
- International Finance Corporation (IFC), a private sector investment arm of the World Bank Group, has decided to provide a loan of USD 250 million to Housing Development Finance Corporation (HDFC).
- The loan is provided to promote affordable green housing finance for low-income borrowers.
- Aligned with the goal to provide ‘Housing for All,’ the funding will also help generate jobs.
The rise in healthcare facilities in tribal areas
- There has been a 73 per cent increase in healthcare facilities in tribal areas between 2005 and 2020 as compared to a 10 per cent increase across the country, according to government data.
- The number of sub-health centres (SHC) in tribal areas increased by 78 per cent in 2020.
- Community health centres in tribal areas increased from 643 in 2005 to 1,035 in 2020, a rise of 61 per cent.
ISRO’s merchandiser programme takes off
- The Indian Space Research Organisation’s customized space-themed merchandise program in partnership with industry has taken off with multiple companies on board.
- One would be able to purchase authorized products connected to ISROs missions and work, such as scale models, T-shirts, mugs, space-themed educational games, science toys, and more.
- Eight companies have so far registered with ISRO.
Various schemes launched in Assam
- Union Home Minister Amit Shah laid the foundation stone of Tamulpur Medical College and Hospital on 25 July 2021.
- He distributed cheques of 1 lakh rupees each to the next of the kin of 100 selected COVID-19 victims under the Assam Government’s ‘Prarthana Achoni’.
- Shah also inaugurated a new unit of Radio Therapy at Gauhati Medical College and Hospital at Guwahati.
New UNESCO World Heritage Site in Telangana
- The Kakatiya Rudreshwara (Ramappa) Temple, Telangana has been inscribed as a UNESCO World Heritage Site.
- With this India got its 39th World Heritage Site.
- The temple complexes of Kakatiyas have a distinct style, technology, and decoration exhibiting the influence of the Kakatiyan sculptor.
- The temple stands on a six feet high star-shaped platform with walls, pillars, and ceilings.
‘Nadi ko Jano’ app launched
- Education Minister Dharmendra Pradhan launched the ‘Nadi ko Jano’ app on 25 July 2021.
- The purpose of the app is to gather information about rivers across India.
- The initiative is a part of research for the Resurrection Foundation.
- The application will collect geographical local, water level, and pollution levels of the rivers. Any student for Indian can upload the information.
BCCI announces schedule for IPL 2021
- The Board of Control for Cricket in India (BCCI) has announced the schedule for the remainder of the IPL 2021 which will be held in UAE.
- A total number of 31 matches will be played in the duration of 27 days.
- The 14th season, which was postponed in May 2021 in the wake of the pandemic, will resume on 19th September in Dubai with a clash between Chennai Super Kings and Mumbai Indians.
Tunisian President sacks PM
- Tunisian President, Kais Saied has sacked Prime Minister, Hichem Mechichi and suspended parliament, after violent protests broke out across the country.
- President Kais Saied would assume executive authority with the assistance of a new Prime Minister.
- Tunisia, officially the Republic of Tunisia, is the northernmost country in Africa.
- Capital- Tunis; Currency- Tunisian dollar
Veteran actress Jayanthi passes away
- Noted veteran actress Jayanthi passed away in July 2021.
- She has over 500 movies to her credit in Kannada, Telugu, Tamil, Malayalam, and Hindi.
- Jayanthi had won the Karnataka State Film awards seven times and the Filmfare Awards twice and also the Dr. Rajkumar lifetime award.
- She started her career in the year 1963.
World Drowning Prevention Day: 25 July
- July 25, 2021, marked the first-ever World Drowning Day.
- The day was declared in April 2021 by General Assembly resolution A/RES/75/273.
- Reportedly, drowning claims at least 236,000 lives every year.
- Also, most of the drowning incidents involve children.
- The day highlights life-saving solutions that can prevent such tragedies in future courses.
Byju’s buys Great Learning; to invest $1 bn
- Byju’s has acquired Great Learning for $600 million in a cash, stock and earnout deal.
- Great Learning offers professional upskilling and higher education courses.
- Byju’s has earmarked another $400 mn into this segment in the near term.
- The acquisition marks Byju’s’ push into the professional upskilling and life-long learning space in India and globally with a total commitment of $1 billion.
HCL Tech: Launch partner for Microsoft cloud
- HCL Technologies (HCL) has been selected as a launch partner for Microsoft’s recently announced industry cloud – Microsoft Cloud for Financial Services.
- HCL’s PowerBanking product has been built to leverage all available capabilities of the Microsoft Cloud for Financial Services.
- It enables comprehensive scenarios for retail bank customer engagement.
Govt to clear pending payment of MSMEs
- The government will clear dues owed to Micro, Small and Medium Enterprises (MSMEs) within 45 days.
- This was announced by Finance Minister Nirmala Sitharaman on 26 July 2021.
- As many as 13.06 lakh MSME loan accounts with an aggregate amount of ₹55,333 crore have been restructured by public sector banks till June 25, 2021.
Karnataka CM announces resignation
- B S Yediyurappa has announced his resignation as the Chief Minister of Karnataka, as his government completes two years in office.
- He served as the 19th Chief Minister of Karnataka.
- Yediyurappa also served as CM for four terms, the only CM to do so in Karnataka.
- He is also an eight-time MLA from Shikaripura constituency in Shimoga district.
Ashok Lavasa comes up with the new book
- Ashok Lavasa has come up with a new book titled ‘An Ordinary Life: Portrait of an Indian Generation’.
- Ashok Lavasa, who resigned as election commissioner in 2020 to become vice-president of the Asian Development Bank.
- An IAS officer of the 1980 batch, Lavasa served in various capacities in his cadre state Haryana and in the Government of India.
Sweden joins International Solar Alliance
- Sweden has ratified the framework agreement for the International Solar Alliance (ISA).
- It is now a member of the global platform, which is an initiative of India aimed at promoting renewable energy and sustainable development.
- ISA is an alliance of 121 countries initiated by India, which lie either completely or partly between the Tropic of Cancer and the Tropic of Capricorn.
Railways develop new fire-retardant coaches
- Indian Railways has developed new fire-retardant coach which will help in reducing incidents of fire breaking.
- Indian Railways’ coach manufacturing unit, Tthe Rail Coach Factory (RCF) Kapurthala has developed five coaches using fire-retardant materials and roof-mounted air conditioning package units with reverse cycle feature for heating arrangements besides automatic smoke detection.
Madison Media acquires Crow’s Nest
- Madison Media has fully acquired Kolkata-based full-service digital agency, Crow’s Nest.
- Under the arrangement, Crow’s Nest will fully integrate with Madison Digital and operate as Madison Digital Kolkata.
- Crow’s Nest handles clients such as Bandhan Bank, Zee Bangla, Vivo West Bengal, M P Birla Group among others.
- It offers 360-degree digital solutions.
A two-day Golf tournament concludes in Srinagar
- In the Kashmir Valley, a two-day Golf tournament concluded on 25 July 2021 in Srinagar with the distribution of prizes among the winners and runners-up.
- The Golf tournament was held at the Royal Springs Golf Course and Kashmir Golf Club.
- The refurbished and upgraded Kashmir Golf Course was thrown open recently and it was the first major sporting activity at the course.
Priya Malik wins gold medal at CWC
- Indian junior wrestler Priya Malik won a gold medal in the 73-kg category at the Cadet World Championship held in Budapest, Hungary, in July 2021.
- CWC is a tournament where the best Greco-Roman, freestyle, and women wrestlers worldwide below the age of 17 compete.
- Priya had won gold at the Khelo India youth games in Pune in 2019.
- Jaskaran Singh also won a silver in the 60-kg category.
MoWCD launches a web-based portal
- Union Women and Child Development Ministry has launched a web-based portal to facilitate submission of applications, identification of children eligible to receive support under the ‘PM CARES for Children’ scheme.
- The web portal is www.pmcaresforchildren.in.
- The scheme aims to ensure comprehensive care and protection of children who have lost their parents to the COVID pandemic.
Nasir Kamal appointed BCAS DG
- Senior IPS officer Nasir Kamal has been appointed the Director General of Bureau of Civil Aviation Security (BCAS).
- Kamal is a 1986-batch Indian Police Service (IPS) officer of the Uttar Pradesh cadre.
- The Appointments Committee of the Cabinet has approved Kamal’s appointment to the post of Director General in BCAS for a tenure up to his superannuation on July 31, 2022.
Yusuffali was appointed Vice Chairman of ADCCI
- Crown Prince of Abu Dhabi Sheikh Mohamed Bin Zayed Al Nahyan has appointed Indian businessman Yusuffali MA as the Vice-Chairman of the apex government body for all businesses operating from the UAE’s capital city.
- He has been appointed to the Abu Dhabi Chamber of Commerce and Industry (ADCCI).
- He is the only person from India on the 29-member board.
- He is the CMD of LuLu Group.
Largest floating solar plant in Indonesia
- Sunseap Group plans to build the world’s largest floating solar farm near the city of Batam in Indonesia.
- The floating photovoltaic system is expected to have a capacity of 2.2 gigawatts (peak).
- It will cover 1600 hectares (4000 acres) of the Duriangkang Reservoir on Batam Island and cost about $2 billion to construct.
- An agreement was signed on 19 July 2021 in this regard.
61 pc of global drowning deaths in 2019: WHO
- Over 1,44,000 people drowned in the Asia Pacific region in 2019, accounting for 61% of global drowning deaths, according to the first WHO regional assessments on drowning prevention.
- The Regional Status Report on Drowning in the Western Pacific and Regional Status Report on Drowning in South-East Asia, also warn that climate change, puts individuals at increased drowning risk.
UN adopts the first resolution on vision
- The UN General Assembly has approved its first-ever resolution on vision.
- The “Vision for Everyone” resolution is sponsored by Bangladesh, Antigua, and Ireland, and co-sponsored by over 100 countries.
- According to the resolution, “at least 2 billion people are living with vision impairment or blindness and 1.1 billion people have a vision impairment.
IOA announces cash rewards for coaches
- The Indian Olympic Association has announced cash awards to the coaches of the medal-winning athletes of the Tokyo 2020 Olympic Games.
- The coaches who trained and accompanied the athlete to Tokyo will receive Rs.12.5 lakhs for gold, Rs.10 lakhs for silver, and Rs.7.5 lakhs for the bronze medal.
- Mirabai Chanu, who won a silver medal will receive Rs.50 lakhs cash awards from IOA.