Top Current Affairs of the day: Instantly obtain Latest Current Affairs with all essential info, Be the first to know all the Today Current affairs 18th May 2021 top news, Major Issues, Current News, Important events in National Current News as well as International level with clear explanation. For all competitive exams and Interviews, equip yourself with the Latest Current Affairs on 18th May 2021 granted here.
Top Current Affairs
Pune based startup develops ventilation system
- A compact, economical ventilation system for PPE kits has been developed by a Pune-based startup that can prevent excessive sweating while wearing such kits.
- The ventilation system, when attached with the conventional PPE kits with one simple modification, keeps the health workers well ventilated.
- The startup called Watt Technovation has developed the ‘Cov-Tech Ventilation System’.
World Telecommunication and Info. Society Day
- World Telecommunication and Information Society Day is observed on 17 May every year.
- The day is observed to raise awareness about the use of the internet as it can bridge the gap between society and economies and the digital divide.
- The theme of 2021 is Accelerating digital transformation in challenging times.
- It was first celebrated in the year 1969.
Tamil writer Ki. Rajanarayanan passes away
- Noted Tamil writer Ki. Rajanarayanan died in Puducherry in May 2021.
- Fondly called as KiRa, he was admired as a folklorist and father of Karisal (black soil land) Literature.
- He was a recipient of the Sahitya Academy award for his novel ‘Gopalapurathu Makkal’ in the year 1991.
- He also served as a member of the Sahitya Akademi General Council and Advisory Board from 1998 to 2002.
Shiv Sunder: Coach of women’s cricket team
- Former Test opener Shiv Sunder Das has been named the batting coach of the Indian women’s cricket team only for the upcoming seven-match tour of England.
- The tour comprises a one-off Test, three One-day Internationals, and three T20 Internationals in June-July 2021.
- Former Indian Railways player Abhay Sharma has been named the fielding coach.
Iga Swiatek enters WTA top 10
- In the women’s section, Italian Open champion Polish teenager Iga Swiatek jumped six places on the WTA Tour rankings to enter the top 10.
- The player is now ninth, behind American legend Serena Williams, winner of 23 Grand Slams.
- The top three slots continue to be retained by Australia’s Ashleigh Barty, Japan’s Naomi Osaka, and Romania’s Simona Halep, respectively.
ATP rankings: Rafael Nadal remains at 3rd spot
- In tennis, despite a three-set victory over Novak Djokovic in the Italian Open final, Spaniard Rafael Nadal continues to be at the third spot on the ATP rankings, released on 18 May 2021.
- Djokovic is way ahead with 11,063 points.
- Russian Daniil Medvedev continues to be ranked No. 2 in the world with 9,793 points, just 163 points ahead of Nadal.
US to share 80 mn doses of vaccine with world
- The United States will share 80 million vaccine doses globally over the next six weeks, five times more than any other country has shared to date.
- It represents 13 percent of vaccines produced in the country by June 2021 end.
- The 80 million doses will include 20 million doses of the Moderna, Pfizer, and Johnson & Johnson vaccines as well as AstraZeneca.
CoWIN platform to be available in Hindi
- The CoWIN platform is being made available in Hindi and 14 regional languages by the 4th week of May 2021.
- The CoWIN platform is used for registration for COVID-19 Vaccination.
- It is handling minute details for India’s COVID-19 immunization program, including registering beneficiaries, allocating vaccination centers, sending text messages to beneficiaries.
- Aravinda Deo, a retired Indian Foreign Service officer and former Ambassador to Nepal and Hungary, passed away in May 2021.
- Padma Shree Awardee Dr. KK Aggarwal passed away due to covid in May 2021. He was the former President of the Indian Medical Association.
- Industrialist and former Chairman of Usha International Siddharth Shriram passed away due to covid in May 2021.
World Aids Vaccine Day: 18 May
- World AIDS Vaccine Day or HIV Vaccine Awareness Day is observed annually on May 18.
- It aims at promoting the continued and urgent need for a vaccine to prevent HIV infection and AIDS.
- The concept of World AIDS Day came from former US President Bill Clinton’s commencement speech at the Morgan State University on May 18, 1997.
- The theme for World AIDS Day 2021 is Global Solidarity.
WPI inflation hits all-time high of 10.49%
- Wholesale Price Inflation (WPI) climbed to an all-time high of 10.49 percent in April 2021 on a YoY (year on year) basis.
- It rose primarily due to a rise in prices of crude petroleum, mineral oils, the commerce ministry data showed.
- On a month-on-month basis, WPI inflation saw 310 basis points rise as compared to 7.39 percent in March 2021.
Shilpa Medicare inks deal with Dr. Reddy’s
- Shilpa Medicare has entered into a deal with Dr. Reddy’s Laboratories for the production supply of the Russian vaccine Sputnik V.
- The 3 yr definitive agreement will ensure that Shilpa Medicare is responsible for the manufacturing of the vaccine.
- While Dr. Reddy’s is responsible for the distribution and marketing of the vaccine.
- Dr. Reddy’s launched the double-dosed Sputnik V on 14 May 2021.
Bihar Govt launches ‘HIT Covid App’
- Bihar govt has launched the ‘HIT Covid App’ to ensure regular monitoring and tracking of those Covid-19 patients, who are in home isolation across the state.
- A “HIT” stands for home isolation tracks.
- Health workers will visit the patients at home every day and feed data in the app after measuring their temperature and oxygen level.
- The data on th app will be monitored at the district level.
Google launches News Showcase in India
- Google has announced the launch of its global product called News Showcase in India.
- Launched in October 2020, News Showcase is a global vehicle to pay news publishers for their content online.
- It also allows partnering publishers to curate content.
- It has sealed agreements with 30 Indian publishers to offer access to some of their content on News Showcase, including The Hindu Group.
Kotak Mahindra Bank acquires stake in KMPF
- Kotak Mahindra Bank has acquired 1.3 crore shares i.e., around 46.7% equity of Kotak Mahindra Pension Fund from Kotak Mahindra Asset Management Company Limited (KMAMC)
- KMPFL was a direct subsidiary of KMAMC and post the said acquisition of shares, KMPFL has now become a direct subsidiary of the bank.
- The acquisition was completed on May 17, 2021, with a cash consideration of ₹12.71 crores.
Adar Poonawalla exits Panacea Biotec
- Serum Institute of India CEO Adar Poonawalla has offloaded his entire stake in Panacea Biotec amounting to 5.15 percent shareholding of the firm for ₹118 crores, through an open market transaction.
- The shares were picked by the Serum Institute of India (SII).
- He sold 31,57,034 scrips he held in the firm at a price of ₹373.85 per share, taking the total deal value to ₹118.02 crores.
‘Guaranteed Wealth Plus’ launched by Exide
- Exide Life Insurance Company Limited has announced the launch of Exide Life Guaranteed Wealth Plus.
- It is a comprehensive life insurance plan that offers best-in-class guaranteed returns, to help customers fulfill their financial needs comfortably along various life stages.
- It is a non-linked, non-participating individual life insurance savings plan.
Gujarat Government extends a program
- The fortnight-long “Maru Gam, Corona Mukt Gam” program organized by the Gujarat government to control the spread of Covid-19 in the villages, has been extended till May 20, 2021.
- The move to extend the program was taken to restrict the Covid spread within a village.
- A total of 15,322 Covid care centers have been set up within 14,236-gram panchayats, where 1.37 lakh beds have been readied.
PayPal introduces an automated process
- PayPal has introduced an automated process to obtain the monthly Foreign Inward Remittance Advice (FIRA).
- At a zero-cost, PayPal merchants will now be able to download their monthly digital FIRA issued by the bank by logging into their PayPal account.
- The initiative is aimed to empower Indian MSME exporters to grow their business internationally.
New blood-based biomarkers identified
- In Karnataka, a study by the Indian Institute of Science has identified a set of molecular biomarkers which will help detect and predict viral or bacterial infections with high probability.
- It was discovered that a ten-gene RNA signature is produced in the patient’s blood based on the quantity of viral and bacterial infections.
- The study has been published in the EBioMedicine journal.