Top Current Affairs of the day: Instantly obtain Latest Current Affairs with all essential info, Be the first to know all the Today Top Current affairs 17th May 2021 top news, Major Issues, Current News, Important events in National Current News as well as International level with clear explanation. For all competitive exams and Interviews, equip yourself with the Latest Top Current Affairs 17th May 2021 granted here.
Top Current Affairs
- Tamil actor Nitish Veera passed away due to COVID-19 in May 2021. He was known for his performances in movies such as ‘Pudhupettai’ and ‘Vennila Kabadi Kuzhu’.
- Former Director of Press Information Bureau Chennai, C. Muthuvel passed away in Chennai in May 2021 due to Covid-19. He was an officer in the Indian Information Service and had worked in All India Radio, Doordarshan, etc.
Tamil Nadu Govt forms 13 member committee
- The Tamil Nadu Government has formed a 13 member all-party committee chaired by Chief Minister M.K Stalin.
- The committee includes three political representatives who are doctors by profession.
- The representatives will share and discuss the status of the COVID 19 pandemic situation.
- It has been specified that the vaccination camps should have separate ramps for differently-abled persons.
Chhattisgarh Govt launches virtual school
- In Chhattisgarh, a virtual school is being set up so that children’s education is not affected due to the Corona crisis.
- This virtual school will operate under the Chhattisgarh State Open School.
- Students from class 9 to 12 will be able to take admission in this virtual school.
- Students will also have the facility to choose a mentor of their choice and get their doubts cleared online.
Tejaswini Shankar bags men’s high jump titles
- India’s Tejaswini Shankar has bagged men’s high jump titles in the Big 12 Outdoor Track and Field Championships in Manhattan, USA.
- The athlete cleared the bar at 2.28 meters to win high jump gold on 15 May 2021.
- However, despite the spectacular performance, Shankar fell short of the Tokyo Olympic Games qualification standard of 2.33 m.
Rafael Nadal wins Italian Open title
- In tennis, Rafael Nadal beat world number one Novak Djokovic to win a 10th Italian Open title on 16 May 2021.
- Nadal won through 7-5, 1-6, 6-3 against the defending champion.
- He also equaled Djokovic’s record of 36 ATP Masters 1000 titles in his 12th Rome final.
- In the men’s doubles, Nikola Mektic and Mate Pavic won the title, beating Rajeev Ram and Joe Salisbury.
Richard Bland wins British Masters Golf
- Leading Indian golfer Shubhankar Sharma ended up Tied-34th at the Betfred British Masters in Wishaw, Scotland, on 17 May 2021.
- England’s Richard Bland won the title, getting in a pole position for a chance to earn a place in the US Open.
- The only Indian to make the cut among four participants, Sharma had five birdies in his final round.
UNSC holds meeting on Israel and Palestine
- A UN Security Council meeting took place on 17 May 2021 as hostilities between Israel and Palestine entered the 7th day.
- The international community has called for an end to the escalating conflict.
- US envoy Hady Amr has arrived in Tel Aviv to take part in talks with Israeli, Palestinian, and UN officials.
- Since the fighting began on 10 May’21, at least 145 people have been killed in Gaza.
State of Working India 2021 Report
- The State of Working India 2021 report was released by the Azim Premji University (APU).
- The report covers the period March 2020 to December 2020, dwells on the impact of one year of Covid-19 on employment, incomes, inequality, and poverty.
- It has found a correlation between the reduction in mobility of people in a state owing to the lockdown in 2020 and the drop in family income.
2nd vaccine dose to be given after 84 days
- The COVID Working Group chaired by Dr. N K Arora had recommended extension of the gap between the first and second doses of COVISHIELD vaccine to 12 to 16 weeks.
- This has been accepted by the government of India.
- Additionally, already booked online appointments for the 2nd dose of Covishield will remain valid and are not being canceled by COWIN.
Ramesh Pokhriyal ‘Nishank’ honored
- International Invincible Gold Medal for 2021 has been conferred to Union Education Minister Dr. Ramesh Pokhriyal Nishank.
- He has been recognized for his extraordinary commitment and outstanding service to humanity through his writings, social and illustrious public life.
- The award will be formally presented to the Union Minister on Guru Purnima 2021.
Iga Swiatek wins Italian Open
- Poland’s Iga Swiatek defeated Karolina Pliskova from the Czech Republic 6-0, to win the Italian Open on 16 May 2021.
- The French Open champion took just 45 minutes to win the match.
- Swiatek, ranked 15, claimed her third WTA title having followed her Roland Garros success with a win in Adelaide in January 2021.
Monkey Census conducted in Haryana
- At least 600 people throughout Haryana participated in a three-day Monkey Census between 28-30 April 2021.
- They documented approximately 6,000 monkeys on a specially designed mobile application.
- The mobile application, titled ‘Wildlife Census Haryana’, was designed by the Wildlife Institute of India (WII), Dehradun.
Virus situation worsens among PVTGs
- The COVID-19 situation has worsened in certain areas inhabited by Particularly Vulnerable Tribal Groups (PVTGs) in Odisha.
- 23 persons belonging to the Dongria Kondh community, a PVTG in the Niyamgiri Hill range in Odisha, have tested positive for COVID-19.
- Similarly, in Malkangiri district, Bonda Hill, home to the Bonda community, another PVTG, has been declared as a containment zone.
Business and Economy
- Zensar Technologies has entered into a definitive agreement to acquire M3bi, an Arizona-based data, and digital engineering firm.
- Media agency Mediabrands India has announced the launch of Mediabrands Content Studio (MBCS) in India.
- Eli Lilly has signed a voluntary licensing agreement with Natco Pharma to further expedite the availability of baricitinib for COVID-19 patients in India.
McDonald’s plans ₹100 crore investment
- Westlife Development, which operates McDonald’s restaurants in the southern and western regions in India, plans to invest ₹100 crores to open up to 30 outlets of the quick-service restaurant brand in the current financial year.
- In the last financial year, the company had opened 5 McDonald’s outlets.
- In the last quarter of 2020-21, 55-60% of the company’s sales came from convenience channels.
M&M announces ₹1-lakh health insurance
- Mahindra & Mahindra Ltd has announced an initiative to support its new tractor customers amid the second wave of the COVID-19.
- It will provide health insurance of ₹1 lakh and pre-approved emergency financial support to farmers.
- Under its ‘M-Protect COVID’ plan, the company aims to safeguard new Mahindra tractor customers and their families against the eventuality of contracting COVID-19.
Flipkart appoints Dinkar Ayilavarapu as Head
- Flipkart has appointed a former partner at management consulting firm Bain & Co. Dinkar Ayilavarapu as its new Head of strategy.
- Ayilavarapu is joining as Vice-President, corporate strategy.
- Ayilavarapu has worked at Bain for 14 years in their India, New York, and South Africa offices and was a part of their technology, media, telecom, and M&A practices.
- He has also worked with ITC Ltd.
Cloudflare’s new authentication system
- Popular web infrastructure provider Cloudflare has unveiled a way to eliminate CAPTCHAs from the Internet.
- The company will use USB security keys to do the same, using a method it calls the Cryptographic Attestation of Personhood.
- With Cloudflare’s new system, users will be able to authenticate logins to websites by using physical USB keys.
Max Life Saral Pension plan launched
- Max Life Insurance Co. Ltd has announced the launch of ‘Max Life Saral Pension’, a non-linked, individual immediate annuity plan.
- It means that one pays a lump sum as a purchase price and gets a fixed payment at regular intervals for the rest of his life.
- The plan is available to customers in the entry age group of 40-80 years, there are two options, i.e single life, and joint-life annuity.
- Subodh Chopra, who wrote dialogues for films such as Irrfan Khan’s Rog, passed away in May 2021. He had directed a Malayalam film titled Vasudha.
- Former badminton coach Balachandran Nair passed away in May 2021.
#Top Current Affairs 17th May 2021
@Top Current Affairs
Important Link :-