Top Current Affairs of the day: Instantly obtain Latest Current Affairs with all essential info, Be the first to know all the Today Top Current affairs 16th May 2021 top news, Major Issues, Current News, Important events in National Current News as well as International level with clear explanation. For all competitive exams and Interviews, equip yourself with the Latest Top Current Affairs 16th May 2021 granted here.
Top Current Affairs
Senior IPS officer Mohammed Jawed Akhtar dies
- Senior IPS officer Mohammed Jawed Akhtar, the Director-General of Fire Services, Civil Defence, and Home Guards under the Ministry of Home Affairs, died of Covid complications on 14 May 2021.
- The 1986-batch IPS officer of UP cadre is the 1st serving police chief to die of the virus.
- In Apr’21, former CBI director Ranjit Sinha and former DG of Sashastra Seema Bal Arun Chowdhury died of Covid.
NAIMISHA 2021 to start from 17th May 2021
- The National Gallery of Modern Art (NGMA), New Delhi is creating a virtual museum space through its online summer program NAIMISHA 2021.
- This unique art fiesta will provide a platform to create and engage with the arts.
- The current duration of the program is 17th May to 13th June 2021.
- The exhibition of selected artworks will be displayed on NGMA’s website.
@Top Current Affairs 16th May 2021
#Top Current Affairs 16th May 2021
Delhi Government announces ₹1,051 crore
- The Delhi Government has announced a fund of ₹1,051 crores for three municipal corporations to pay salaries of healthcare workers and other employees.
- The east corporation will get ₹367 crores, the north corporation about ₹432 crores, and the south corporation ₹251 crores.
- Doctors and other employees of the civic bodies are not getting their salaries due to mismanagement and corruption.
Airtel offers digital tools to support users
- Airtel has rolled out new digital tools for its users to help those affected by Covid-19.
- The company is using the Airtel Thanks application in order to segregate useful information regarding Covid-19.
- The details can be found in the app’s Explore section.
- For help with vaccination, the app will allow users to book slots as it has integrated CoWin platform API.
Amazon launches free video streaming service
- In a global first for Amazon, Amazon India has announced the launch of miniTV.
- It is a free, ad-supported video streaming service available within the Amazon shopping app.
- MiniTV will offer content from studios like TVF, Pocket Aces; tech expert Trakin Tech; comedians such as Ashish Chanchlani, Amit Bhadana; and food-related content from Kabita’s Kitchen and Gobble.
Nuklu Phom wins Whitley Award 2021
- A church worker from Nagaland Nuklu Phom has won the Whitley Award, also known as the ‘Green Oscar’.
- He has been awarded for his efforts to create a network of community-owned forests in the state and protect the rare Amur falcon.
- He is the only Indian to win the prestigious award — awarded annually to individuals from the Global South by UK-based charity the Whitley Fund for Nature (WFN).
World Bank extends USD 80.5 mn to Sri Lanka
- The World Bank has extended USD 80.5 million to Sri Lanka for its COVID-19 vaccination drive.
- This useful and timely resource will help ensure equitable vaccine deployment among the eligible populations of Sri Lanka.
- Sri Lanka has so far inoculated 1.1 million people with the first dose of the coronavirus vaccine, of whom 244,000 people have been given the second dose.
Rajeev Taranath to get Basavashree award
- Classical musician Pandit Rajeev Taranath and space scientist Dr. K Kasturirangan will receive the prestigious Basavashree award for 2019 and 2020, respectively.
- Pandit Rajee was trained in Sarod under Ustad Ali Akbar Khan, Pt Ravishankar, and Nikhil Banerjee.
- Dr. K Kasturirangan, who served as chairman of ISRO and Space Commission, has been credited with launching various satellites.
NBA creates social justice award
- The NBA (National Basketball Association) has announced the creation of a new award — the Kareem Abdul-Jabbar Social Justice Champion Award.
- It will recognize players who are taking steps in the fight for social justice.
- Each NBA team will nominate one player for consideration; from there, five finalists will be selected and ultimately one winner.
Wipro appoints Tulsi to the board of directors
- Wipro has announced the appointment of business leader Tulsi Naidu to its board of directors for five years from July 1, 2021.
- She will serve as an Independent Director.
- Naidu is CEO of Asia Pacific of Zurich Insurance Group.
- Before that, she spent 14 years at Prudential in various executive positions across the UK and European business.
Chandigarh University launches a program
- Chandigarh University has launched Student Satellite Designing and Training program ‘CUSAT’.
- It has become North India’s first University to launch an advanced training program for students in the field of Aerospace Engineering.
- It would have a duration of 4-months and it would be open for the students of Computer Science Engineering, Electronics and Communication Engineering, etc.
New rules to replace archaic jails manual
- The Punjab Cabinet has given its nod to Punjab Prison Rules, 2021, under the Prison Act 1894, thus superseding the archaic and outdated jails manual.
- The Punjab Jail Manual 1996 primarily focused more on safe and secure custody of prisoners.
- Punjab Prison Rules 2021 lay emphasis not only on safe and secure custody but also on other aspects, such as welfare, corrections, and aftercare.
Sindhu Darshan festival in Leh postponed
- The Ladakh administration has postponed the famous ‘Sindhu Darshan’ festival in view of the surge in COVID-19 cases.
- The festival is held in Leh every year in June on the full moon day of Guru Purnima and this year it was scheduled to be held from June 19 to 27, 2021.
- During ‘Sindhu Darshan’, devotees gather near the banks of the Indus river, which is known as the Sindhu river in India.
Subsidy for units making medical equipment
- The UP Cabinet led by CM Yogi Adityanath on 15 May’21 approved a scheme to provide a subsidy of 25% or Rs10 cr, whichever is lower, of the total expenditure.
- Under the scheme, the production of items like liquid medical oxygen, regulators, ventilators, and cryogenic tankers will be allowed to avail the subsidy.
- UP COVID emergency financial support scheme will be available for a year after order.
Aadhar card not mandatory for Covid treatment
- As per the Unique Identification Authority of India (UIDAI) statement, “No one shall be denied vaccines, medicines, hospitalization or treatment for want of Aadhaar number”.
- UIDAI issued the statement after a section of media reported that vaccination and few other essential services such as hospitalization were being denied to residents for want of Aadhaar.
- Former Akal Takht Jathedar Giani Joginder Singh Vedanti passed away in May 2021.
- Vedanti had served as Jathedar of the highest temporal seat of Sikhs from 2000 to 2008.
- Business newspaper Financial Express’ Managing Editor Sunil Jain passed away on 15 May 2021 due to post Covid complications.
Baricitinib added to Covid treatment Protocol
- The Goa Health Department has introduced the use of Baricitinib medicine in Covid treatment protocols.
- Baricitinib is generally used to treat rheumatoid arthritis in adults.
- The use of Baricitinib had prevented patients from reaching the oxygen stage/breathlessness.
Govt nod to oxygen con from IIT-Kanpur startup
- The Department of Science and Technology, with the backing of the Prime Minister’s Office, has sanctioned the production of oxygen concentrators from one of its science incubators at IIT-Kanpur.
- The startup Indeema Fibres Pvt Ltd in Kanpur, along with its sister concern ChemDist Membrane Systems Pvt Ltd based out of Pune, will roll out its 1st batch of 5,500 oxygen conc. by May 25, 2021.
J&K declares relief package for tourism sec.
- Jammu and Kashmir Lieutenant Governor Manoj Sinha on 14 May 2021 announced a ₹3 crore relief package for people associated with the tourism sector amid the second wave of the COVID-19 pandemic.
- Under this package, ₹2,000 financial assistance will be provided to 4,444 registered Shikara owners, 1,370 tourist guides, 6,663 ponywalas, and 2,150 others including those who rent palanquins for yatris.
1st Indian-origin fighter to win MMA title
- Arjan Bhullar has become the first Indian-origin fighter to win a world title in a top-level MMA event.
- He defeated Filipino-American Brandon Vera to become the heavyweight world champion in the Singapore-based One Championship.
- He had also become the first Indian-origin freestyle wrestler to represent Canada at the Olympics.
@Top Current Affairs
Important Link :-
- Join Telegram Group: Click Here
- Latest Government Job Notification