Top Current Affairs of the day: Instantly obtain Latest Current Affairs with all essential info, Be the first to know all the Today Top Current affairs 15th May 2021 top news, Major Issues, Current News, Important events in National Current News as well as International level with clear explanation. For all competitive exams and Interviews, equip yourself with the Latest Top Current Affairs 15th May 2021 granted here.
Top Current Affairs
New dates women’s Rugby World Cup
- World Rugby has confirmed the dates for the 2022’s women’s Rugby World Cup in New Zealand.
- The tournament will run from 8 Oct-12 Nov 2022.
- The 12-team tournament was due to be held in 2021.
- The third-place playoff and final will be played on 12 Nov 2022, with Eden Park set to create history by becoming the first stadium to host both the men’s and women’s Rugby World Cup finals.
Mingma Tenji Sherpa creates world record
- Mingma Tenji Sherpa, a Nepali mountain guide, has created a world record by scaling Mt. Everest, the world’s highest peak, twice in the shortest span of time in a season.
- Sherpa first reached the top of the mountain in the evening of May 7, 2021, and then performed the feat again on the morning of May 11, 2021.
- He climbed Mount Everest twice in the gap of just 4 days.
EAMPL, Beowulf Mining sign pact
- Epsilon Advance Material (EAMPL), a subsidiary of Epsilon Carbon has signed an MoU with Beowulf Mining plc to set up a joint venture company in Finland.
- According to the agreement, Epsilon and Beowulf will jointly develop a strategic processing hub for both natural flake and recycled graphite in Finland.
- The JV’s Active Anode Material project will supply anode material to Europe.
Martin Griffiths: UN Humanitarian Chief
- The UN Chief has appointed Martin Griffiths as the new UN Humanitarian Chief.
- Griffiths had spent the last 3 years as the UN special envoy for Yemen.
- He will continue to serve as the UN’s top envoy for Yemen until a transition has been announced.
- He will replace Mark Lowcock, who served as undersecretary-general for humanitarian affairs and emergency relief coordinator for four years.
#Top Current Affairs
Ajanta: 1st woman Finance Minister of Assam
- Assam Chief Minister Himanta Biswa Sarma on May 11, 2021, allocated the finance portfolio to Ajanta Neog, making her the first woman Finance Minister of the northeastern state.
- Neog, who was elected to the state Assembly from the Golaghat assembly constituency in eastern Assam, would also hold the social welfare portfolio.
- She is also a four-time Member of the Legislative Assembly.
OneWeb partners with SoftBank
- SoftBank and OneWeb have announced an agreement for mutual cooperation to promote OneWeb’s satellite communication services in the global and Japan markets.
- Both will promote satellite communication services via the combination of OneWeb services and SoftBank’s services, including advanced communication and Digital Transformation (DX) platform services.
Airtel Payments Bank launches DigiGold
- As part of its growing digital services, Airtel Payments Bank has launched a digital platform DigiGold, in partnership with digital gold provider SafeGold.
- With DigiGold, Airtel Payments Bank’s savings account customers can invest in 24K gold using the Airtel Thanks app.
- Customers can also gift DigiGold to their family and friends, who have a savings account with the Airtel Payments Bank.
First Covid isolation ward for children
- In a unique initiative, G B Pant Children Hospital in Srinagar has established the first isolation ward for children infected with Covid.
- The facility has doctors who are constantly supervising the infected children and are also providing food and other important things, free of cost.
- The isolation wards have all the required facilities like sufficient oxygen supply and enough bed capacity.
Gunjan Shah to join Bata India as its new CEO
- Bata India Ltd. has announced the appointment of Gunjan Shah as its new CEO.
- He will succeed Sandeep Kataria who was elevated as the global CEO of Bata Brands in 2020.
- Shah is set to join Bata on 21 June 2021.
- He has been appointed as a whole-time Director of the company for a period of five years.
- He will join from Britannia Industries Ltd where he was the Chief Commercial Officer.
Hero MotoCorp to resume partial operations
- Hero MotoCorp will resume partial operations at its three plants at Gurugram and Dharuhera in Haryana and Haridwar in Uttarakhand from May 17, 2021.
- The company had halted operations temporarily at its six plants in India from April 22 to May 2, 2021, which was then extended till May 16, 2021.
- Hero MotoCorp Limited is the largest two-wheeler manufacturer in the world, and also in India.
Neera Tanden to serve as Adviser to Biden
- The Biden administration has announced that Indian-American Neera Tanden will now join the White House as a Senior Adviser to President Joe Biden.
- Tanden serves as President and CEO of CAP and has served as the CEO of the Center for American Progress Action Fund.
- In March 2021, she had withdrawn her nomination as Director of the White House OMB (Office of Management and Budget).
Delhi approves ₹5,000 aid for auto drivers
- The Delhi cabinet has approved ₹5,000 assistance to drivers and permit holders of autorickshaws.
- Among the beneficiaries are also drivers of e-rickshaws, taxis, Phat Phat Sewa, eco-friendly Sewa, Gramin Sewa, and maxi cabs holding PSV-Public Service Badge (drivers).
- Delhi currently has over 2.80 lakh PSV badge holders and 1.90 lakh permit holders who are eligible to apply for the scheme.
Govt to set up 20 technology and R&D centers
- The Union government will establish 20 technology and research and development infrastructure centers.
- These will be shared among academicians, labs, startups, and industries.
- These centers—Sophisticated Analytical and Technical Help Institutes (SATHI)—will be professionally managed.
- They are most likely to be housed in top tech and engineering schools such as IITs.
RBI grants PPI authorization to Eroute
- RBI has granted authorization to Eroute Technologies to operate as a prepaid payment instruments (PPI) company.
- The RBI issued authorization on May 10, 2021, with perpetual validity to commence issuance and operations of semi-closed pre-paid instruments in the country.
- PPIs are instruments that facilitate the purchase of goods and services, against the value stored in such instruments.
Malerkotla to be Punjab’s 23rd district
- Punjab Chief Minister Amarinder Singh has announced the creation of a new district of Malerkotla, carving the state’s only Muslim-majority town from Sangrur district.
- Adjoining Amargarh and Ahmedgarh will also form part of Punjab’s 23rd district.
- The Chief Minister also announced a Rs 500-crore medical college, a women’s college, a new bus stand, and a women police station in Malerkotla.
Cairn Energy sues Air India
- Cairn Energy has sued Air India to enforce a $1.2 billion arbitration award that it won in a tax dispute against India, according to a U.S. District Court filing.
- The British firm Cairn was awarded by an arbitration tribunal in December 2020.
- The body ruled India breached an investment treaty with Britain and said New Delhi was liable to pay.
Govt gives tax breaks to 4 more foreign funds
- The govt has granted tax exemption to 4 more foreign funds for their earnings from infrastructure investments made in India between now and March 2024.
- The exemption is for 3 pension funds and one UK development finance institution.
- They are now eligible for relief under section 10 of the Income Tax Act which deals with earnings not to be included in the taxable income.
Ruskin Bond comes up with a new book
- Ruskin Bond has carefully curated 25 of his most cherished stories in a new book, “All Time Favourites for Children”.
- He received the Sahitya Akademi Award for English writing in India in 1993, the Padma Shri in 1999, and the Delhi government’s Lifetime Achievement Award in 2012.
- He has written over 500 short stories, essays, and novellas, and more than 40 books for children.
Punjab: 1st to join global Covax alliance
- The Punjab govt has decided to join the global COVAX alliance for sourcing the immunization shots at the best price.
- It will become the first state in the country to take the initiative of addressing the vaccine shortage amid the second wave.
- Abbreviated as COVAX, the COVID-19 Vaccines Global Access is a worldwide initiative aimed at providing equitable access to anti-Covid vaccines.
Roman Khassanov banned for corruption
- A tennis player who represented Kazakhstan in the Davis Cup- Roman Khassanov has been banned for 10 years after admitting a string of corruption charges.
- He has been banned from attending any official tennis events and fined $100,000.
- The charges included breaking rules against fixing.
- Khassanov had a career-high ranking of 671 in 2018 and his last recorded tournament was in 2019.
@Top Current Affairs 15th May 2021
#Top Current Affairs
Important Link :-