MiniRatna PSUs: Miniratna Companies are divided into 62 Miniratna Category-I and 12 Miniratna Category-II companies. As of January 2020, there are 74 Miniratna Public Sector Undertakings (PSU’s). This article provides brief information on 14 major Miniratna companies.
Aspirants preparing for IAS Exam should stay updated with the latest developments in the field of Economy.
MiniRatna PSUs Companies – Eligibility Criteria & Benefits
The varied eligibility criteria and financial autonomy of Miniratna companies are given below.
|MiniRatna PSUs Category-I||Miniratna Category-II|
|Eligibility Criteria||Have made profits continuously for the last three years and should have a positive net worth.|
|Benefits for Investment||Financial Autonomy up to Rs. 500 crore or equal to their net worth, whichever is lower.||Financial Autonomy of up to Rs. 300 crore or up to 50% of their net worth, whichever is lower.|
MiniRatna PSUs Companies – List of 14 Miniratna Category-I Central Public Sector Enterprises (CPSE)
This article shares the list of 14 leading and very popular Category-I Miniratna Central Public Sector Enterprises (CPSE) which finds mention in the news on a regular basis due to their strategic importance.
The below table gives the list of Miniratna Category-I Companies (As of January 2020).
|Sl.No||Category-I, Central Public Sector Enterprises (CPSE)|
|1||Airports Authority of India (AAI)|
|3||Bharat Dynamics Limited (BDL)|
|4||Bharat Earth Movers Limited (BEML)|
|5||Bharat Sanchar Nigam Limited (BSNL)|
|6||Central Warehousing Corporation|
|7||Cochin Shipyard (CSL)|
|8||Dredging Corporation of India (DCI)|
|9||Garden Reach Shipbuilders & Engineers (GRSE)|
|10||Goa Shipyard (GSL)|
|11||India Tourism Development Corporation (ITDC)|
|12||Indian Railway Catering and Tourism Corporation (IRCTC)|
|14||Mazagaon Dock Shipbuilders Limited|
MiniRatna PSUs Category-I Companies – Brief Details of 14 Public Sector Enterprises
Airports Authority of India (AAI)
- Airports Authority of India (AAI) was founded on 1st April 1995
- The Airports Authority of India or AAI is a statutory body (created through the Airports Authority of India Act, 1994) working under the Ministry of Civil Aviation, Government of India is responsible for creating, upgrading, maintaining and managing civil aviation infrastructure in India.
- AAI is currently managing a total of 137 Airports, including 23 International Airports, 10 Customs Airports, 81 Domestic Airports and 23 Civil enclaves at Defense Airfields. AAI also has ground installations at all airports and 25 other locations to ensure the safety of aircraft operations.
- Antrix Corporation Limited is a government-owned company under the administrative control of the Department of Space.
- It was founded on 28 September 1992; is headquartered in Bangalore.
Antrix Corporation provides services in the following areas
- Transponder provisioning
- Remote sensing
- Spacecraft and Subsystems
- Mission Support
- Ground Infrastructure for Space-based Needs
Bharat Dynamics Limited (BDL)
- BDL was established in the year 1970 to be a manufacturing base for guided weapon systems.
- BDL has three manufacturing units, located at Kanchanbagh, Hyderabad, Telangana; Bhanur, Medak district, Telangana and Visakhapatnam, Andhra Pradesh.
- BDL is poised to enter new avenues of manufacturing covering a wide range of weapon systems such as Surface to Air Missiles, Air Defence Systems, Heavyweight Torpedoes, Air to Air Missiles.
Bharat Earth Movers Limited (BEML)
- Bharat Earth Movers Limited (BEML) is headquartered in Bangalore.
- BEML was founded in May 1964.
- BEML has manufacturing plants in Kolar Gold Fields, Bengaluru, Mysore and Palakkad.
BEML – Products
- Earthmoving equipment
- Underground mining equipment
- Railway equipment
- High power diesel engines
- Heavy-duty hydraulic aggregates
Bharat Sanchar Nigam Limited (BSNL)
- Bharat Sanchar Nigam Limited is India’s oldest communication company and its history can be traced back to British India.
- In 1885, the Indian Telegraph Act was passed by the British Imperial Legislative Council. After the bifurcation of the Post and Telegraph Department in the 1980s, The creation of the Department of Telecom eventually led to the emergence of the State-owned telegraph and telephone company which led to the foundation of BSNL
Cochin Shipyard (CSL)
- Cochin Shipyard Ltd (CSL) is the largest shipbuilding and maintenance facility in India.
- Of the services provided by the shipyard are building platform supply vessels and double-hulled oil tankers. Presently it is building the first indigenous aircraft carriers for the Indian Navy, the INS Vikrant.
- Cochin Shipyard was incorporated in 1972 as a Government of India company
Garden Reach Shipbuilders & Engineers (GRSE)
- Garden Reach Shipbuilders & Engineers Ltd, abbreviated as GRSE, is one of India’s leading shipyards, located in Kolkata, West Bengal. It builds and repairs commercial and naval vessels. It was founded in 1884.
Goa Shipyard (GSL)
- Goa Shipyard Limited (GSL) is an Indian Government-owned shipbuilding company located on the West Coast of India at Vasco da Gama, Goa. It was established in 1957, originally by the colonial government of the Portuguese in India.
India Tourism Development Corporation (ITDC)
- The India Tourism Development Corporation (ITDC) is a hospitality, retail and education company owned by the Government of India, under the Ministry of Tourism. Established in 1966, it owns over 17 properties under the Ashok Group of Hotels brand, across India.
Indian Railway Catering and Tourism Corporation (IRCTC)
- Indian Railway Catering and Tourism Corporation (IRCTC) is a subsidiary of the Indian Railways that handles the catering, tourism and online ticketing operations of the latter, with around 5,50,000 to 6,00,000 bookings every day.
- IRCON International Limited is an engineering and construction organisation, specialized in transport infrastructure. The PSU was established in 1976, by the Government of India under the Indian Companies Act 1956.
- IRCON was registered as the Indian Railway Construction International Ltd., a wholly (100%) owned entity of the Ministry of Railways.
Mazagon Dock Shipbuilders Limited (MDL)
- MDL is a shipyard situated in Mazagaon, Mumbai. It manufactures warships and submarines for the Indian Navy and offshore platforms and associated support vessels for offshore oil drilling. It also builds tankers, cargo bulk carriers, passenger ships and ferries.