Top Current Affairs of the day: Instantly obtain Latest Current Affairs with all essential info, Be the first to know all the Today Current affairs 9th December 2021 top news, Major Issues, Current News, Important events in National Current News as well as International level with clear explanation. For all competitive exams and Interviews, equip yourself with the Latest Current Affairs on 9th December 2021 granted here.
Top Current Affairs
International Anti Corruption Day: 9 December
- International Anti-Corruption Day is observed on December 9 annually to raise awareness on staying away from corruption.
- On 31 October 2003, the UN General Assembly adopted the United Nations Convention against Corruption.
- The Convention entered into force in December 2005.
- The theme for 2021 is “Your right, your role: Say no to corruption”.
Padma Shri awardee Nanda Prusty passes away
- Noted educationist and Padma Shri awardee Nanda Kishore Prusty passed away in December 2021.
- In his native Kantira village, he was popularly known as Nanda Master or Nanda Sir. Working to educate the masses, he had always upheld the tradition of Chatshali.
- The Chatshali tradition refers to a non-formal school for primary education common in Odisha.
Yusaku Maezawa: 1st Japanese tourist to visit ISS
- Billionaire Yusaku Maezawa has become the first Japanese tourist to visit the International Space Station on 8 Dec’21.
- He blasted off in a Soyuz spacecraft from the Russia-leased Baikonur cosmodrome in Kazakhstan.
- He will spend 12 days in space along with his assistant Yozo Hirano.
- During this time period, he will complete 100 tasks including hosting a badminton tournament in orbit.
NMCG and c-Ganga organize 6th India Water Impact Summit
- The National Mission for Clean Ganga (NMCG) along with the Centre for Ganga River Basin Management and Studies are organizing the 6th India Water Impact Summit (IWIS) from 9-14 Dec’21.
- It is being organized in a hybrid mode – online and physically at the NMCG office, New Delhi, and IIT Kanpur.
- The theme for 2021 is ‘River Resources Allocation “Planning and Management at the Regional Level’.
Cabinet approves Ken-Betwa interlinking of rivers project
- The Union Cabinet has approved the funding and implementation of the Ken-Betwa inter-linking of rivers project.
- The total cost of the Ken-Betwa link project has been assessed at Rs.44,605 crore at 2020-21 price levels.
- This project involves the transfer of water from the Ken to the Betwa River through the construction of the Daudhan Dam and a canal linking the two rivers.
Cabinet clears continuation of housing scheme till 2024
- The union cabinet on 8 December 2021 cleared the continuation of the rural housing scheme Prime Minister’s Awas Yojana-Gramin till 2024.
- It will help facilitate the intended target of building 29.5 million houses under the scheme.
- As on 29 November 2021, 16.5 million houses have been constructed under the scheme out of the total targeted 29.5 million houses.
India’s top military officer CDS General Bipin Rawat passes away
- General (retd) Bipin Rawat, India’s first Chief of Defence Staff, passed away in December 2021.
- An Indian Air Force helicopter ferrying him and 13 others crashed near Coonoor in Tamil Nadu.
- Rawat, a former Indian army chief, took office as the first CDS on 1 January 2020 at the start of a three-year term.
- He was the one point defence advisor to the Defence Minister.
Nirmala Sitharaman features on Forbes’ 100 most powerful women list
- Union Finance Minister Nirmala Sitharaman has made it to the Forbes’ annual list of powerful women — The World’s 100 Most Powerful Women.
- She is ranked at number 37.
- This is the third year in a row that she made it to the list.
- In 2020, she was in the 41st spot and 34th in 2019.
- Jeff Bezos’ former wife Mackenzie Scott has earned the topmost spot on this list.
India ranked fourth most powerful country in Asia Power Index 2021
- India has risen as the fourth most powerful country in Asia, according to a report by Lowy Institute Asia Power Index 2021.
- It has been ranked fourth among the 26 countries and territories in Indo-Pacific for comprehensive power.
- The index was topped by the USA, followed by China, and Japan.
- Thailand was ranked 10th on the index.
Italy fines Amazon record $1.3 billion for abuse of market dominance
- Italy’s antitrust watchdog has fined Amazon 1.13 billion euros ($1.28 billion) for alleged abuse of market dominance.
- It is one of the biggest penalties imposed on a U.S. tech giant in Europe.
- Amazon had leveraged its dominant position in the Italian market for intermediation services on marketplaces to favour the adoption of its own logistics service – Fulfilment by Amazon (FBA).
For the first time in centuries, the world’s population set to decline
- The world’s population is set to decline for the first time ever in the next century, a new study published in the Lancet journal has revealed.
- The study has predicted that the peak in the global population would expectedly be around 9.7 bn in 2064 and then decline to 8.79 bn in 2100.
- The population in India, the second biggest populous country, would set to hover around 1·09 bn in 2100.
V Praveen Rao received the 7th Dr M.S. Swaminathan Award for 2017-19
- The prestigious 7th Dr. MS Swaminathan Award for the period 2017-2019 was awarded to Dr. V Praveen Rao.
- He is the Vice-Chancellor of Professor Jayashankar Telangana State Agricultural University.
- This biennial national award jointly constituted by Retired ICAR Employees Association (RICAREA) and Nuziveedu Seeds Limited (NSL) carries a cash prize of Rs. 2 lakhs, a gold medal, and a citation.
National Energy Conservation Week: 8-14 December
- National Energy Conservation Week is being observed from 8th–14th December 2021.
- It is being marked as Iconic Week under “Azadi ka Amrit Mahotsav”.
- The Bureau of Energy Efficiency (BEE) virtually launched the “Certification Course on Home Energy Audit (HEA)” on 8 December 2021 during the event.
- It would enable the creation of a pool of professionals to perform home energy audits.
Aviva Life Insurance launches Nivesh Bima
- Aviva Life Insurance, a private insurance company, has announced the launch of Aviva Nivesh Bima.
- This is a non-linked, non-participating, individual savings life insurance plan that provides guaranteed moneyback at every fifth policy year, in addition to a lump sum payout at maturity.
- The minimum annualized premium for it is as low as ₹25,000 and goes up to a maximum of ₹1,00,00,000.
MoUs signed in Tamil Nadu to serve the MSME industries
- The Tamil Nadu government has announced the signing of MoUs between Tamil Nadu Industrial Investment Corporation Ltd (TIIC) and Tamil Nadu Small Industries Development Corporation (TANSIDCO).
- It has been signed to serve the micro, small and medium industries in the state.
- TIIC entered into two MoUs with TANSIDCO and TAICO Bank (Tamilnadu Industrial Co-operative Bank Ltd) Bank.
India’s Jhilli Dalabehera clinches gold medal in weightlifting
- Indian weightlifter Jhilli Dalabehera has won the gold medal in the women’s 49kg category at the Commonwealth Weightlifting Championships in Tashkent, Uzbekistan.
- She lifted the total weight of 167kg with 73kg in snatch and 94kg in clean and jerk to win the gold medal in the 49kg category.
- The Commonwealth Weightlifting Championships 2021 is being held from December 7 to 17, 2021.
India test-fires air version of BrahMos supersonic cruise missile
- Air version of BrahMos supersonic cruise missile was successfully test-fired from the supersonic fighter aircraft Sukhoi-30 MK-I from Integrated Test Range, Chandipur off the coast of Odisha on 8 December 2021.
- The missile launched from the aircraft followed the pre-planned trajectory meeting all mission objectives.
- BrahMos is a Joint Venture between India (DRDO) and Russia.
Education Ministry launches mobile app called Bhasha Sangam
- Education Ministry has launched a mobile app called Bhasha Sangam in order to help people acquire basic conversation ability in languages other than one’s mother tongue to at least 75 lakh people.
- The App has more than 100 sentences of common usage, both in text and audio format, in 22 Indian languages.
- The app aims to foster the spirit of Ek Bharat Shreshtha Bharat.
Parliament passes Assisted Reproductive Technology (Regulation) Bill
- Parliament has passed the Assisted Reproductive Technology (Regulation) Bill, 2021.
- It provides for the regulation and supervision of the assisted reproductive technology (ART) clinics and the assisted reproductive technology banks.
- Every ART clinic must be registered under the National Registry of Banks and Clinics of India.
- The Upper House also passed the Surrogacy (Regulation) Bill, 2020
Disney Byju’s Early Learn App signs Neeraj Chopra as brand ambassador
- Olympics gold medallist Neeraj Chopra has been announced as brand ambassador for Disney Byju’s Early Learn App.
- Think And Learn Privately Limited, which runs Byju’s has taken Disney-licensed characters for its early learning app for younger children.
- As part of this two-year commitment, Chopra will inspire young learners to learn in a more creative and interactive way.
Karnataka Higher Education Council to sign MoU with NSE Academy
- Karnataka Higher Education Council will be signing a memorandum of understanding (MoU) with the National Stock Exchange (NSE) Academy.
- They will provide financial awareness for the holistic well-being of college students.
- NSE Academy has already introduced this program in seven states of the country and about 70 lakh students have been trained.
Google, WHO partner to help developers build digital health solutions
- Google is working with the World Health Organization (WHO) to build an open-source software developer kit (SDK).
- It will help Android developers everywhere build secure digital health solutions using the Fast Healthcare Interoperability Resources (FHIR) framework.
- According to WHO, there will be a global shortage of 18 million healthcare workers by 2030.
INA market becomes first ‘clean and fresh fruit and vegetable market’
- Delhi’s INA fruit and vegetable market has become the first market to be certified as the ‘clean and fresh fruit and vegetable market’.
- It has been certified by the Food Safety and Standards Authority of India (FSSAI).
- Rajesh Bhushan is the current Chairperson for FSSAI.
- Shri Arun Singhal is the current Chief Executive Officer for FSSAI.
Fitch Ratings cut India’s FY22 economic growth forecast to 8.4%
- Fitch Ratings has cut economic growth projections for India marginally to 8.4 percent for the current financial year (2021-22) from an earlier forecast of 8.7 percent.
- However, it raised India’s growth projection to 10.3 percent from the earlier forecast of 10 percent for next financial year (FY23).
- It also expects headline inflation to average 4.9 percent in 2022 and 4.2 percent in 2023.
Day of Commemoration and Dignity of the Victims of Crime of Genocide
- International Day of Commemoration and Dignity of the Victims of the Crime of Genocide and of the Prevention of this Crime is observed on 9 December annually.
- The date marks the anniversary of of the adoption of the 1948 Convention on the Prevention and Punishment of the Crime of Genocide (the “Genocide Convention”).
- The Convention confirms that genocide is a crime under international law.