Top Current Affairs of the day: Instantly obtain Latest Current Affairs with all essential info, Be the first to know all the Today Current affairs 21st September 2021 top news, Major Issues, Current News, Important events in National Current News as well as International level with clear explanation. For all competitive exams and Interviews, equip yourself with the Latest Current Affairs on 21st September 2021 granted here.
Top Current Affairs
International Day of Peace: 21 September
- The International Day of Peace (or World Peace Day) is celebrated annually on September 21.
- The day is devoted to strengthening the ideals of peace, both within and among all nations and peoples.
- The day was established in 1981 by the UN General Assembly.
- The 2021 theme for the International Day of Peace is “Recovering better for an equitable and sustainable world”.
TRAI designates TEC as the testing-and-certification agency for CAS
- The Telecom Regulatory Authority of India (TRAI) designated the Telecommunication Engineering Centre (TEC) as a testing-and-certification agency for Conditional Access System (CAS) and the Subscriber Management System (SMS).
- The TEC would carry out the overall administration, coordination, and execution of testing and certification of the CAS and SMS.
More than 1.77 lakh artisan registered on Government e-Marketplace
- As many as 28,374 artisans and 1,49,422 weavers have registered themselves on the public procurement portal Government e-Marketplace (GeM) as of 30 August 2021, the Textiles Ministry informed on 20 September 2021.
- GeM, launched in 2016, is a one-stop portal to facilitate online procurement of common use Goods and Services required by various Government Departments / Organizations / PSUs.
Gautam Adani conferred Ramkrishna Bajaj Memorial Global Award
- Adani Group Chairman Gautam Adani was conferred with Ramkrishna Bajaj Memorial Global Award on 20 September 2021 at the Priyadarshni Academy’s 37th Anniversary.
- These awards are conferred on national and international dignitaries for outstanding contributions in their respective fields.
- Priyadarshni Academy is a premier non-profit, socio-cultural and educational organization.
FSSAI to introduce ‘front of package label’ to regulate junk food
- Food Safety and Standards Authority of India (FSSAI) has decided to introduce front-of-package (FoP) labeling on packaged foods to help consumers make healthier food choices.
- FoP labels seek to provide simple nutrition information in a more accessible location instead of on the back of packages.
- IIM Ahmedabad has been asked to conduct a survey on the nature of FoP labels on products.
Food Ministry issues uniform specifications for foodgrains procurement
- The Food Ministry has issued uniform specifications for foodgrains to be procured by the Centre in order to ensure that farmers get a due price without any rejection of their crops.
- For the first time, the Department of Food and Public Distribution under the Ministry of Consumer Affairs and Food issued uniform specifications for Fortified Rice Kernels (FRK) for grade A & Common Rice.
China launches Tianzhou-3 cargo spacecraft on 20 September 2021
- China has launched a cargo mission to its new space station.
- A Long March 7 rocket topped with the robotic Tianzhou 3 freighter lifted off from Wenchang Satellite Launch Center in southern China’s Hainan Province on 20 September 2021.
- Tianzhou 3 is headed for Tianhe (“Harmony of the Heavens”), the core module of China’s new Tiangong space station.
Indian and Indonesian Navy participate in exercise Samudra Shakti
- Indian Naval Ships Shivalik and Kadmatt arrived at Jakarta, Indonesia to participate in the 3rd edition of Bilateral Exercise ‘Samudra Shakti’ with the Indonesian Navy.
- It is being held at Sunda Strait from 20-22 September 2021.
- The exercise aims to strengthen the bilateral relationship, enhance mutual understanding and interoperability in maritime operations between the two navies.
Health Minister Mansukh Mandaviya releases 3rd State Food Safety Index
- Union Minister for Health and Family Welfare Mansukh Mandaviya released the Food Safety and Standards Authority of India (FSSAI)’s 3rd State Food Safety Index (SFSI) on 20 September 2021.
- Among the larger states, Gujarat was the top-ranking state, followed by Kerala and Tamil Nadu.
- Among the smaller states, Goa stood first followed by Meghalaya and Manipur.
- Among UTs, J&K secured top rank.
DFPD signs model MoU with CSC e-Governance Services India Limited
- Department of Food and Public Distribution (DFPD) has entered into a model MoU with CSC e-Governance Services India Limited (CSC).
- It will increase the business opportunities and income of fair price shops.
- CSC will tie up with individual state govts for signing up of bilateral MoUs for providing interested FPS dealers access to Digital Seva Portal (DSP) for delivery of CSC services.
IIT Delhi sets up an advanced electrical characterization laboratory
- IIT Delhi has set up an advanced electrical characterization laboratory with an investment cost of ₹17 crores.
- It will enable the measurement of the electrical performance of devices and circuits used in electronic equipment and further research in the area of semiconductors.
- IIT Delhi has also signed an agreement with Keysight Technologies India Pvt Ltd to co-brand the facility.
Adani Ports gets the nod for 10.4% stake acquisition in Gangavaram Port
- The Competition Commission of India (CCI) has given its approval for the proposal of the acquisition of a 10.4% stake of Gangavaram Port (GPL) by Adani Ports for Rs 644.78 crore.
- Gangavaram Port, incorporated in September 2001, is engaged in the business of handling various types of dry bulk and break bulk cargo.
- The Andhra Pradesh government has already approved the proposal of acquisition.
Yes bank partners VISA to offer credit cards
- YES Bank has partnered with Visa to offer credit cards to its customers.
- The suite consists of nine credit card variants on the Visa platform that service all segments – consumer cards, business cards, and corporate cards across YES First, YES Premia, and YES Prosperity.
- With the partnership, the bank has commenced the issuance of select credit card variants on Visa’s payment network.
HCL Tech signs 5-year deal with MKS Instruments for cloud services
- HCL Technologies, India’s third-largest software services company, has announced a five-year digital transformation deal with US-based MKS Instruments.
- The partnership is intended to improve performance, productivity, and speed to market.
- HCL will drive digital and cloud-enabled transformation for MKS Instruments through AI/ML-led automation, IT transformation, etc.
India at 46th place in Global Innovation Index
- India has improved its ranking in the Global Innovation Index (GII) 2021 to 46th place among 132 economies, up from 48 in the previous year’s ranking, according to World Intellectual Property Organisation.
- The index ranks world economies according to their innovation capabilities and consists of roughly 80 indicators.
- Switzerland, Sweden, United States and UK are the leaders in innovation.
OECD cuts FY22 growth forecast for India to 9.7%
- The Organisation for Economic Co-operation and Development (OECD) has cut its growth forecast for India by 20 basis points to 9.7% for FY22.
- Its data showed India is the worst hit among major economies, with its GDP in June quarter 15% less than pre-pandemic forecast while relative to December quarter of 2019, its GDP is around 7% less.
- For FY23, it reduced India’s growth projection to 7.9%
Iran gets full membership in Shanghai Cooperation Organisation
- Iran has become a permanent member of the Shanghai Cooperation Organisation (SCO).
- SCO is the Eurasian political, economic, and security alliance led by China and Russia.
- The country obtained observer status in the organization in June 2005, and in 2008, applied for full membership.
- Iran’s permanent membership was approved during the 21st Meeting of the Council of Heads of State of SCO.
Former England footballer Jimmy Greaves passes away
- The former England striker Jimmy Greaves passed away in September 2021.
- A member of England’s 1966 World Cup-winning squad, Greaves scored 44 goals in his 57 appearances for England.
- His strike rate was phenomenal as he scored 357 goals in England’s top flight, a record that still stands.
- He also played in Tottenham’s 1967 FA Cup final win against his old club Chelsea.
Carmat announces the first implant of its artificial heart in a woman
- French artificial heartmaker Carmat carried out the first implant of its Aeson artificial heart in a woman in September 2021.
- The procedure had been performed at the UofL Health – Jewish Hospital by University of Louisville physicians in the US.
- This third implant in the US was a landmark event because it is the first time ever that the device has helped a woman suffering from heart failure.
German Chancellor, Angela Merkel steps down
- German Chancellor, Angela Merkel will step down at the end of 2021 after serving 16 years as the head of Germany’s government.
- She was named “The World’s Most Powerful Woman” by Forbes magazine for the last 10 years in a row.
- Angela Dorothea Merkel is a German politician serving as Chancellor of Germany since 2005.
- She is the first female chancellor of Germany.
International Week of Deaf People 2021: September 20 to 26
- The International Week of Deaf People is celebrated during the last full week of September.
- For 2021, it is being observed from 20-26 September.
- The theme for the International Week of Deaf People 2021 is “Celebrating Thriving Deaf Communities”.
- It is an initiative of the World Federation of the Deaf (WFD) and was first launched in Rome, Italy in 1958.
World Alzheimer’s Day: 21 September
- World Alzheimer’s Day is observed on September 21 every year.
- Alzheimer’s disease is an irreversible, degenerative brain condition that gradually affects memory and thinking skills.
- In 1901, Alois Alzheimer, a German psychiatrist, diagnosed the first instance of the disease in a 50-year-old German lady, and the disorder was named after him.
- The day was first observed in 1994.
Prof. Thanu Padmanabhan passes away
- Noted theoretical physicist and recipient of Padma Shri, Professor Thanu Padmanabhan passed away in September 2021.
- He was a distinguished professor at the Inter-University Centre for Astronomy and Astrophysics (IUCAA).
- Padmanabhan had conducted research on gravitation, structure formation in the universe and quantum gravity.
- He wrote over 300 papers in international journals.
Madhya Pradesh govt organising Public Welfare and Suraj Campaign
- Madhya Pradesh government is organising a Public Welfare and Suraj Campaign from 17th September to 7th October 2021.
- During this 20-day special campaign, various steps are being taken for the betterment of life of the common people.
- CM Shivraj Singh Chouhan inaugurated the buildings of 103 newly constructed Anganwadi Centres in 32 districts of the state on 21 September 201.
U.N. Chief, UK PM hold roundtable of world leaders
- U.N. Secretary-General António Guterres and UK Prime Minister Boris Johnson held a roundtable of world leaders on 21 September 2021.
- It addressed major gaps on emissions targets and climate finance.
- It aim was to ensure a successful outcome at the U.N. climate conference to be held from October 31 to November 12, 2021, in Glasgow.
IPPB to sell Bajaj Allianz non-life insurance products
- India Post Payments Bank (IPPB) has announced a strategic alliance with Bajaj Allianz General Insurance to distribute its non-life insurance products across the country.
- The scope of products will include healthcare and medical products, personal accidents, and motor insurance.
- Postmen have been certified for Point of Sales Person or POSP (under POSP Model).
Power Finance Corp set to be India’s 11th Maharatna CPSE
- Power Finance Corp. Ltd (PFC) is set to become the 11th Maharatna central public sector enterprise (CPSE).
- A CPSE should have a Navratna status, be listed on an Indian stock exchange, and have an average annual turnover and net profit of ₹25,000 crore and ₹5,000 crore, respectively, over the previous three years for it to be awarded Maharatna status, according to the government.
India, Malaysia top Asian forecasts for faster economic growth in 2022
- Economic activity in 2022 in Malaysia and India, two of the countries most affected by Covid-19, is expected to recover faster than earlier forecast.
- Malaysia’s growth outlook was upgraded by the most in the region — 85 basis points to an expansion of 5.65% in 2022, according to the latest survey results by Bloomberg.
- India was a close second, with its economy expected to grow 6.7%.
AICHLS, MIMC to jointly organize 11th International Peace Conference
- All India Council of Human Rights, Liberties and Social Justice (AICHLS) and Mahabodhi International Meditation Centre (MIMC) jointly organized the 11th International Peace Conference on 21 Sept 2021, in Leh.
- It was conducted in collaboration with the all religious organizations in Ladakh.
- The Council also conferred the 7th Dr APJ Abdul Kalam Award to Venerable Bhikkhu Sanghasena.
Nishith Pramanik inaugurates Youth Conclave in J&K’s Pulwama
- In J&K, Union Minister of State for Home Affairs Nishith Pramanik inaugurated a Youth Conclave in Pulwama on 20 Sept’21.
- He also visited Indian International Trade Saffron Spice Park, Pampore where he inspected various departments.
- He also inaugurated the inter-zonal district-level competitions of Pulwama in various games and distributed sports kits among the specially-abled persons.
International Monetary Fund puts on hold funds to Afghanistan
- The International Monetary Fund (IMF) has put on hold funds to Afghanistan amid the rising uncertainty in the country.
- These developments came after IMF recently announced a $650 billion Special Drawing Rights (SDR) allocation for member countries.
- IMF and World Bank have also stopped loans and the Financial Action Task Force warned its 39 member nations to block Taliban assets.
Bangladesh government to export 2080 MT Hilsa fish to India
- The government of Bangladesh has given permission to 52 trading organizations to export Hilsa fish to India on the occasion of the Durga Puja.
- The Ministry of Commerce has allowed each organization to export a maximum of 40 tonnes of Hilsa to India.
- The permission will remain effective till October 10, 2021.
- In 2020, Bangladesh exported more than 1450 MT of Hilsa to India.
NCW launches capacity building, personality development program
- National Commission for Women, NCW has launched a country-wide capacity building and personality development program for women undergraduate and post graduate students.
- It is collaborating with central and state universities for organizing sessions on personal capacity building.
- NCW launched its first program in collaboration with the Central University of Haryana, on 20 September 2021.
Sarbananda Sonowal virtually flags off dwarf container train service
- Union Minister for Ports, Shipping and Waterways Sarbananda Sonowal virtually flagged off the dwarf container train service from Jawaharlal Nehru Port Trust (JNPT) on 20 September 2021.
- The ‘dwarf containers’ are lesser in height by 660 mm than normal ISO containers, giving them a logistical edge.
- The low height of dwarf containers loaded on trailers can pass through rural, semi-urban roads.
President of Akhil Bhartiya Akhada Parishad Narendra Giri passes away
- President of the Akhil Bhartiya Akhara Parishad and Mahant of Bade Hanuman temple of Prayagraj, Narendra Giri, passed away in September 2021.
- He belonged to Shri Panchayati Akhara Niranjani, one of the ancient monastic orders of the country.
- Akhil Bharatiya Akhara Parishad is the apex decision-making body of the 13 recognized Hindu monastic orders of the country.
ADB approves $60m loan to modernize electricity supply in Nepal
- The Asian Development Bank (ADB) has approved a $60 million loan as additional support for the ongoing Electricity Grid Modernization Project that is upgrading power transmission and distribution systems in Nepal.
- An enterprise resource planning and revenue management system will also be implemented to improve supply and system security and strengthen institutional capacity.
TRIFED and Big Basket sign MoU to expand online marketing
- Tribal Cooperative Marketing Development Federation of India Limited (TRIFED) has signed a Memorandum of Understanding with Big Basket for the promotion and sale of natural Van Dhan products through the Big Basket platform.
- TRIFED has also signed an MoU with Purty Agrotech to promote the art of growing pearls among other tribal entrepreneurs across India and tap the potential of this market.
Ambrane signs Bollywood actress Disha Patani as its brand ambassador
- Ambrane has signed with Bollywood actress Disha Patani as its brand ambassador in India.
- Disha is the latest to join the Ambrane family, which already includes the likes of the famous Cricketer Ravindra Jadeja as it’s Brand Ambassador.
- Ambrane boasts a strong portfolio of high-quality products in India ranging from power bank, audio, wearables, and more.
Exports of software services up 2.1 pc to USD 148.3 bn in 2020-21
- The RBI released data on 20 Sept 2021, related to the 2020-21 round of its annual survey on exports of computer software and information technology-enabled services.
- As per a Reserve Bank survey, exports of software services, including services delivered by foreign affiliates of Indian companies, recorded 2.1% growth during 2020-21 and stood at USD 148.3 billion.
AGC Networks appoints Essar’s Anshuman Ruia as executive director
- IT company AGC Networks on 20 September 2021 has approved the appointment of Essar Group’s Anshuman Ruia as executive director of the company.
- At present, Ruia is leading Essar’s investment in asset-light, new-age businesses in the technology and fintech domains.
- AGC Networks Ltd. is a leading Global Technology Solutions Provider that delivers customized business solutions.