Top Current Affairs of the day: Instantly obtain Latest Current Affairs with all essential info, Be the first to know all the Today Top Current affairs 10th May 2021 top news, Major Issues, Current News, Important events in National Current News as well as International level with clear explanation. For all competitive exams and Interviews, equip yourself with the Latest Top Current Affairs 10th May 2021 granted here.
Top Current Affairs
Cipla enters into a pact with Eli Lilly
- Cipla Limited has entered into a licensing agreement with Eli Lilly to expand access to COVID-19 treatment in India.
- The pharma company has signed a royalty-free, non-exclusive voluntary licensing agreement with Eli Lilly for the manufacture and commercialization of the drug Baricitinib for COVID-19 indication.
- Baricitinib was approved for use in combination with remdesivir.
Ola partners with GiveIndia
- Ola Foundation has partnered with online donation platform GiveIndia to provide consumers with oxygen concentrators for free through its own app.
- The service will start rolling out in Bengaluru from the third week of May 2021 with an initial set of 500 oxygen concentrators.
- Ola and GiveIndia will scale it up across cities with up to 10,000 concentrators in the coming weeks.
SBI, EIB to invest in Indian SMEs
- The European Investment Bank and SBI have entered into a pact to jointly pump Euro 100 million in equity financing into Indian small businesses focused on climate change and sustainability.
- The two entities have created ‘Neev Fund II’ for taking ahead this partnership.
- This is one of the EIB’s first private equity investments in India.
Paytm waives off transaction fees
- Paytm is offering its Payment Gateway services at 0% transaction fees to all registered NGOs across the country.
- This is being done in an effort to help them secure maximum resources for swift, seamless, and smooth covid relief work.
- This service would be applicable on donations of up to ₹10 lakh.
- This move will help NGOs save lakhs of rupees in transaction fees.
IIS officer V S Suryanarayana passes away
- A retired IIS officer with a long stint in All India Radio, Bengaluru, V S Suryanarayana passed away in May 2021.
- Retired as Director News in Doordarshan Kendra, Bengaluru, he had served in All India Radio news units in Delhi and as RNU Head in Bengaluru and Dharwad.
- A 1969 batch officer, he began his service in Kalaburgi and Mysuru as a Field Publicity Officer.
#Top Current Affairs 10th May 2021
Rajendra Prasad Upadhyay passed away
- Retired IIS officer, All India Radio’s former Afghanistan correspondent Rajendra Prasad Upadhyay passed away due to Covid -19 complications in May 2021.
- Hailing from Pithoragarh in Uttarakhand, he did his post-graduation from Kumaon University.
- He joined the Indian Information Service after serving many years in the department of post.
- He was also a great Gandhian scholar.
CBIC restores facility for trade
- The Central Board of Indirect Taxes and Customs (CBIC) has restored the facility for trade by providing the option to submit an undertaking in lieu of a bond up to 30 June 2021.
- This has been done to ensure that there are no delays or disruptions in EXIM trade due to the pandemic.
- Importers and exporters shall ensure that the undertaking is duly replaced with a proper bond by 15 Jul’21.
MOIL to develop COVID Care Centres in MP
- MOIL Limited, a government-owned company, will develop covid care centers in five districts of Madhya Pradesh.
- These will be set up in Mandla, Dindori, Balaghat, Seoni, and Narsinghpur districts of Madhya Pradesh, with oxygen lines, oxygen concentrators, and ventilators through MOIL Company.
- Mandla will have 100 beds and Dindori and Seoni will have 50 and 60 beds respectively.
Lewis Hamilton wins Spanish Grand Prix
- In Formula One, Lewis Hamilton of Mercedes secured victory at the Spanish Grand Prix on 9 May 2021, defeating Red Bull’s Max Verstappen.
- This was Hamilton’s third win this season and 98th of his career, and he also matched Michael Schumacher’s record of most Spanish Grand Prix wins with six triumphs each.
- Verstappen settled for second place and Valtteri Bottas for third.
Israel completes phase one trial of a drugs
- A new coronavirus treatment being developed in Israel’s Tel Aviv’s Ichilov Medical Center has successfully completed phase one trials.
- It has helped numerous moderate-to-serious cases of COVID-19 quickly recover from the disease.
- The EXO-CD24 substance had been administered to 30 patients whose conditions were moderate or worse.
- All 30 of them recovered.
Drug developed by DRDO gets approval
- A drug developed by DRDO has got approval for emergency use by the Drugs Controller General of India, DCGI.
- This drug will prove to be beneficial for patients who are suffering from COVID-19.
- The drug 2-deoxy-D-glucose comes in powder form in a sachet, which needs to be taken orally by dissolving it in water.
- It accumulates in the virus-infected cells and prevents virus growth.
Birth anniversary of Maharana Pratap
- Maharana Pratap was born on May 9th, 1540 as per the Julian calendar.
- He was a great Hindu Rajput ruler of Mewar, Rajasthan.
- He hailed from the Sisodiya clan of Rajputs.
- He is known as the first native freedom fighter of the nation.
- The year 2021 marks his 481st anniversary.
- He fought the famous battle of Haldighati with Mughal Emperor Akbar in 1576.
Nepal’s Kami Rita scales Everest for 25th time
- Nepalese climber Kami Rita scaled Mount Everest for the 25th time on 7 May 2021.
- He broke his own record for the most ascents of the world’s highest peak.
- Kami Rita and 11 other Sherpa guides reached the summit at about 6 pm.
- They are the first climbers to reach the summit in 2021.
- Rita first scaled Everest in 1994.
Bees in the Netherlands trained to detect Covid
- Dutch researchers have trained bees, which have an unusually keen sense of smell, to identify samples infected with COVID-19.
- A finding could cut waiting times for test results to just seconds.
- To train the bees, scientists in the bio-veterinary research laboratory at Wageningen University gave them sugary water as a reward after showing them samples infected with COVID-19.
Aryna Sabalenka wins Women’s Madrid Open title
- In tennis, Aryna Sabalenka defeated the world number one Ashleigh Barty to win the Madrid Open for the first time on 9th May 2021.
- In the women’s doubles final, Barbora Krejcikova and Katerina Siniakova, both from the Czech Republic, defeated Gabriela Dabrowski of Canada and Demi Schuurs of France 6-4, 6-3.
BioNTech to build mRNA manufacturing site
- BioNTech plans to set up a regional headquarters and build a new manufacturing site for its vaccines based on messenger RNA technology (mRNA) in Singapore.
- The Singapore production facility will have an estimated annual capacity of several hundred million doses of mRNA-based vaccines depending on the specific type.
- It will be operational by 2023.
India’s exports surge 80% to $7 billion
- Continuing a positive growth, India’s exports grew by 80 percent to $7.04 billion during the first week of May 2021, according to preliminary data of the Commerce Ministry.
- Exports during May 1-7, 2020 stood at $3.91 billion and $6.48 billion in the same week of May 2019, data showed.
- Imports too rose by 80.7 percent to $8.86 billion during May 1-7, 2021 as against $4.91 billion in 2020.
Vivimed Labs gets DGHS nod
- Drug firm Vivimed Labs has received approval from the Director-General of Health Services (DGHS) to manufacture and market Favipiravir tablets in India.
- The tablets are used for the treatment of mild to moderate cases of COVID-19.
- These will be manufactured in the strengths of 200 mg and 400 mg under Vivimed’s own brand name ‘Favulous’ across India.
Imola Acquisition Corp to acquire Ingram Micro
- The Competition Commission of India (CCI) has approved the acquisition of 100% shareholding and sole control of Ingram Micro Inc. by Imola Acquisition Corporation.
- Ingram Micro is a US-based IT company that specializes in technology distribution and logistics, cloud solutions, and e-commerce supply chain services.
- Imola is a newly incorporated entity belonging to Platinum Equity Group.
Delhi Police launches ‘COVI Van Helpline’
- In order to help the elderly people struggling with their essential needs in Delhi, the South District Police of the national capital has launched a helpline number exclusively for senior citizens.
- The police can be reached at COVI Van Helpline (012- 26241077).
- After receiving any call from COVI Van, deployed police officers will go to the house of senior citizens and help them.
FuelBuddy acquires MyPetrolPump
- Delhi-based fuel delivery startup FuelBuddy has acquired Bangalore-based fuel delivery startup MyPetrolPump.
- MyPetrolPump is a venture owned by ANB Fuels Pvt. Ltd., for a cash and stock consideration.
- It is a first-of-its-kind on-demand fuel delivery service in India.
- FuelBuddy is an app-based tech-enabled platform that provides doorstep fuel delivery along with value-added services.
@Top Current Affairs
@Top Current Affairs 10th May 2021
Important Link :-